IPB - Crossfit Open Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPB - Crossfit Open Thread

The annual Crossfit Open commenced this week. And I thought it might be interesting to run a thread on here for people on here to play along. For those that down know, the Crossfit open is a set of 6 specific workout over 6. One workout is announced each week and athletes have a week to submit a time/score. They come in various formats, such as maximum rounds or max weight in a given time. Lowest time for a set workout, most reps without missing a cut off, or similar.

Each weeks "event" is a secret until CF HQ announce it. The main workout is the R'x worked that the top athletes follow, they also release a scaled version for us mere mortals. It’s probably best for interest is anyone playing along opts for the same version, buy by all means choose whatever version you want. At a guess, I’d say it will be the scaled one both weeks.

Hopefully we get a few interested. I’ve mentioned it to a few already. I’ll share it in the BBV and Fitness thread too.
    (@Lloyd feel free to edit the above as you see fit)

What is the Open? "Whether you want to battle with the best in Carson at the CrossFit Games, or just beat your buddy Carson for water cooler bragging rights ...

For more info see http://games.crossfit.com/about-the-games/the-open
    Last edited by Mellor; 29-02-16, 05:57.

WORKOUT 16.1

Rx’d
    Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 20 minutes of:
    25-ft. overhead walking lunge
    8 burpees
    25-ft. overhead walking lunge
    8 chest-to-bar pull-ups

Men lunge 43kg
    Women lunge 29kg

Scaled

25-ft. front rack walking lunge
    8 burpees
    25-ft. front rack walking lunge
    8 jumping chin-over-bar pull-ups

Men lunge 20kg
    Women lunge 15kg

Equipment
    • Barbell
    • Collars
    • Plates to load to the appropriate weight for your division
    • Pull-up bar
    • Measuring tape

Notes
    Prior to starting this workout, each athlete will need to mark a starting point on the floor, measure out 25 feet and make another mark on the floor at the finishing point. Additionally, intermediate marks must be made at every 5-foot interval, each of which represents 1 rep of the lunge.

This workout begins with the barbell resting on the floor near the pull-up bar. At the call of “3, 2, 1 … go,” the athlete will pick up the barbell and lunge with it overhead for 25 feet. They will then perform 8 burpees, jumping over the barbell on each repetition, before picking the barbell back up and lunging back in the opposite direction. Once back at the pull-up bar, they will perform 8 chest-to-bar pull-ups, and then will head back to the barbell to begin the next round.

Scoring
    Your score will be the total number of repetitions completed before the 20-minute time cap.
    So, 1 round is worth 26 reps (5+8+5+8)

I think the Rx's version is a lot harder than it sounds. Trying to hold 40kg+ over head after 15mins won't be happening. I'd say scaled is the best option here, and probably will be most week.
    For more info, videos, how to st it up, etc. See the link below.

The CrossFit Games are the ultimate proving grounds for the Fittest Man and Fittest Woman on Earth™ and are world-renowned as the definitive test of fitness.
    Last edited by Mellor; 01-03-16, 01:09. Reason: added scoring and info

Comment

Stupid question here, presume those weights are inclusive of the bar?

Might give this a go and see how embarrassingly bad I am at it.

Comment

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post

Yep, inclusive. Going to give it a go tomorrow I'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post

Yeah inclusive, so for the scaled version, a standard 7ft bar with no weights on it. Or even a 20kg fixed bar like this one;

I think the scaled version should be manageable, the RX'd looks a nightmare.I'll be doing it tomorrow I think.

Comment

Did the scaled this evening and got 180 reps, or just short of 7 rounds. That's a very pedestrian score (like ~17,000th of 25,000 scaled competitors worldwide). My approach was to try and go very easy at the start and attempt to have a consistent workload throughout. Probably went a bit too hard initially, my first round was like 2min10sec and average round time was just over 2min50sec. Not perfect pacing but not bad - felt shattered at the end but didn't blow up and didn't feel like I left a huge amount out there.

In terms of advice I'd say to get your heartrate up when warming up. I did a five minute row about six minutes or so before kick off and it served me well. My heart rate spikes doing burpees so I took them real easy. Lots of T Spine, hip and quad mobilisation before. Oh and I used a ladies bar with 2.5kg change plates just so the bar was a bit easier to pick up off the ground and to discipline the bar hop as it should be an actual jump with two foot take off and landing.

I think the scaled version is a very good, fair and accessible workout. This is all aerobic engine and pacing. None of the three movements will cause failure but you will gather cumulative fatigue. If you get ahead of your heart rate you will be fucked so take off slower than you'd like.

Interested to see what people get!!
            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Doing this tomorrow, was planning on budgeting 2mins a round (30seconds per set). Aiiming for a steady pace. No idea if that achievable though. Might dial back the pace.

Comment

Did the scaled workout this evening. Got 13 rounds in with about 10 secs to spare. The burpees in between lunges were the killer. Think I'll do it again in next week. Feel like I could hit 15 on a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                  Did the scaled workout this evening. Got 13 rounds in with about 10 secs to spare. The burpees in between lunges were the killer. Think I'll do it again in next week. Feel like I could hit 15 on a good day.
                  That's pretty insane going!!
                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Did this last night. 9 rounds exactly.
                    Bit of an awkward set up, in that I had a bit of distance between the pull up bar and the lunge area. Wasted a bit of time walking between them but by the middle rounds I needed the rest anyway.
                    Was aiming to pace 2 min rounds, but time slipped away over the first 5 rounds not sure how it happened, if I mis-read clock or something. I was also stupidly doing kipping pull-ups (very bad at these). Switched to jumping pull-ups after 5th round and managed to maintain 2min or so to close. Might have hit 10 if I did that from the start

9 rounds - 234 points
                    Last edited by Mellor; 02-03-16, 23:32.

Comment

13 is crazy FM. I nearly got sick after 9 rounds. I had a look at the leaderboard, 15 would be top 12th in the world.
                      I was trying to get the video of one of the top scores, but most aren't working.
                      But here's a guy from Ireland with a working video that was high enough on the leader board.
                      The CrossFit Games are the ultimate proving grounds for the Fittest Man and Fittest Woman on Earth™ and are world-renowned as the definitive test of fitness.
                      Last edited by Mellor; 02-03-16, 23:37.

Comment

Very different test this week. Don't have double unders so I'll be going scaled. This will really challenge your efficiency - getting through that work in four minutes while hitting the movement standards will be very tough

Comment

Was away since last friday, only getting a chance to look at this one now.
                          Will be scaled for this one also. Will be going well to get past the first few rounds here.
                          at first I though the skipping was the challenge, then I seen the weights are increasing for the cleans. They get heavy quickly.

Lloyd linked the workout above, but for the the sake on posting here, in metric, etc

[size]WORKOUT 16.2
                          [/SIZE][/B]

Rx’d
                          SPOILER
                          Beginning on a 4-minute clock, complete as many reps as possible of:
                          25 toes-to-bars
                          50 double-unders
                          15 squat cleans, 61/38kg

If completed before 4 minutes, add 4 minutes to the clock and proceed to:
                          25 toes-to-bars
                          50 double-unders
                          13 squat cleans, 83/52kg

If completed before 8 minutes, add 4 minutes to the clock and proceed to:
                          25 toes-to-bars
                          50 double-unders
                          11 squat cleans, 102/65kg

If completed before 12 minutes, add 4 minutes to the clock and proceed to:
                          25 toes-to-bars
                          50 double-unders
                          9 squat cleans, 124kg/79kg.

If completed before 16 minutes, add 4 minutes to the clock and proceed to:
                          25 toes-to-bars
                          50 double-unders
                          7 squat cleans, 142/93kg.

Stop at 20 minutes.

Scaled

Beginning on a 4-minute clock, complete as many reps as possible of:
                          25 hanging knee raises
                          50 single-unders
                          15 squat cleans, 43kg

If completed before 4 minutes, add 4 minutes to the clock and proceed to:
                          25 hanging knee raises
                          50 single-unders
                          13 squat cleans, 52kg

If completed before 8 minutes, add 4 minutes to the clock and proceed to:
                          25 hanging knee raises
                          50 single-unders
                          11 squat cleans, 61kg

If completed before 12 minutes, add 4 minutes to the clock and proceed to:
                          25 hanging knee raises
                          50 single-unders
                          9 squat cleans, 70kg

If completed before 16 minutes, add 4 minutes to the clock and proceed to:
                          25 hanging knee raises
                          50 single-unders
                          7 squat cleans, 83kg

Stop at 20 minutes.

Equipment
                          • Pull-up bar
                          • Jump rope
                          • Barbell
                          • Collars
                          • Plates to load to the appropriate weights for your division

Scoring
                          This workout is over when the athlete fails to complete all the repetitions within the cut-off time for that round. The final round ends at the 20-minute mark. The athlete’s score is the number of repetitions completed up to their cut-off time.

Notes:
                          This workout begins with the athlete standing under the pull-up bar. At the call of “3, 2, 1 … go,” the athlete will have 4 minutes to perform 25 toes-to-bars, followed by 50 double-unders, and then 15 squat cleans. If all 90 repetitions are not completed by 4 minutes the athlete’s workout is over, and they will stop and record their score.

If all 90 repetitions are completed within the 4-minute window the athlete will earn an additional 4 minutes to perform another 25 toes-to-bars, 50 double-unders, and 13 squat cleans, this time at a heavier weight. and so on...

In this workout, another person may assist the athlete in changing the plates on the barbell during the workout, or multiple barbells may be used.
                          Last edited by Mellor; 07-03-16, 23:54.

Comment

I failed to complete the 3rd round by the 12 min mark. I managed 2 rounds, 25 knee raises, and 7 cleans.
                            I had lost about 2 mins by the end of the knee raises and plates changing. Notice the cock-up? I forgot the third set of skips. I remembered just after I finished.
                            To get an idea of where I was at, I picked up the rope and did 50 single unders right afterwards. Took 50 seconds. If I did them in the right order, I'd might have managed 3 or 4 cleans only.

Good workout. Once you get through the cleans, you are guaranteed the next 75 reps. But that's the challenge as the cleans are tough to pace.
                            I think I'd have round 3 in me, especially if I had somebody to change the plates for me. But 4 would be my limit I'd say. 9 x 70kg is not easy to do fatigued.

Reps I did: 210
                            ...reps in the right order: 203
                            Reps I would have done in the right order: 256/257

Comment

16.3 Scaled

7 min AMRAP of:

10 Snatches 20kgs
                              5 Jumping Chest to Bar Pull Ups
                              Didn't have muscle ups so gave the scaled version a go this morning. Deadlifted and pressed beforehand which was dumb given it's essentially a pure pulling workout. Goal was to get 7 rounds done total and I managed 7 rounds plus one snatch so 106 reps, with me finishing the 7th round in 6:52.

That might not be a terrible score as I was able to go unbroken on muscle snatches the whole way through and I'd imagine people taking on the scaled version might not have that strength even with the empty bar.

Was happy with my pacing, tried to think of it like a 2k row so the aim was to start feeling uncomfortable about 4 minutes in and hang on and it was spot on for me in that regard. Forearms / hands / shoulders smoked at the end. Good workout.

Comment

I think this is my favourite one so far. The snatch load is low enough that I should go unbroken, aided by the fact that the start position for an empty is "clearly below the knees" not on the ground. And overall reps are on the lowers end. And time is relatively short.

Lloyd did you do 16.2?

Comment

Didn't fit it in last week. Will come back to it at some stage.

Comment

I liked the look of this one. Shorter duration, less technical variations. Nothing grindy about the exercises. Mostly a test of gas-tank, and keeping it together on the snatches.

The goal was to work within the 40-60 sec per round. No need to start off any faster than that as 40sec works out at 10 rounds plus, whixh is loads. I get set up properly. 15kg bar with small plates to lift it off the floor (Thanks Lloyd) and set up a box under the pull-up bar so I'm actually only 6" away and not wasting time/energy on a larger jump.

SPOILER
                                    Start:
                                    Bang out the snatches unbroken at a steady pace. about 20 seconds. Keep the change over and pull-up slow enough to use it as recovery. Keeping to 40sec per round.
                                    Round 3 was the first where snatches became a chore. I remember sliding a bit past pace here thinking, I'll make it up on the pull ups, turn around and the box is gone.

Some clown moved it during the 20 seconds I was off it. Even more annoyingly they were using it for something stupid. Between time lost due to confusion, and the fact I'd lose time doing full pull-ups. I call it there.

I take 5mins, to recover for a second crack.

Re-start:
                                    Snatches feel easier on round 1. I manage to hold the 40 second pace for 3 rounds, then it slips before I'm ready to start the 4th. At just under 4 mins, I have 5 rounds done. And I decide finish the last 3 EMOM. I run slightly ahead of the clock and fit in 6 more snatches at the end. Forearms feel like rocks.

Comment

WORKOUT 16.4
                                      [/B]

Scaled

Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 13 minutes of:

55 deadlifts
                                      55 wall-ball shots
                                      55-calorie row
                                      55 hand release push-ups

Men deadlift 61kg . and throw 9kg ball to 9-ft. target

That's the scale version. The R'x is not much different. 102kg deadlifts and handstand push ups. I'm not a fan of it tbh. 55 reps deadlifts is not my idea of smart programming. It looks very grim ingeneral. Completing one round will a good result, not sure how much rowing 55 calories is.

Comment

I felt 1 round was a big score here. So decided to pace it as 3 mins per exercise, with 1 min to spare.

Deadlifts: Started fine. Well ahead of the clock. Broke them up into 20, 15, 10, 10. The last set was tough.
                                        Wall balls: Was dreading these, but they were pretty easy. Must of overestimated the weight. Broke them in to 3 sets. 25, 15, 15
                                        Row: Had to use a water rower, as no Concept 2 nearby. Should be about the same. The plan was the take it handy. I figured a 55 calorie row is about 3 mins work. But I really had no idea how much a calories is worth. At about 35 cals, I figure that its not a linear calories per 100m thing, it goes up quicker the faster you row. So kicked it up a gear to finish.
                                        Press-ups: 3 mins left going in. Loads of time
                                        20 reps Quick break
                                        10 reps shit thats all!!
                                        10 reps time is running down fast
                                        5 reps, last 30 seconds
                                        5 reps fuck this shit
                                        5 reps...

... had 3 seconds to spare so stumbled to the barbell and pulled a single.

Score: 221 Reps
                                        I reckon that single rep would have made a huge difference in my placing, had I actually been entered.
                                        Last edited by Mellor; 23-03-16, 05:17.

Comment

Fine effort on the scaled 16.4 Mellor. I was unable to do it last weekend but will come back to the RX with the objective of getting the first three elements done within the 13 minutes. It's brutal programming with the Deadlifts, but lol Castro

21 - 18 - 15 - 12 - 9 - 6 - 3
                                          of
                                          Thrusters @ 43kgs
                                          Bar Hop / Bar facing Burpees

In their eternal struggle for bragging rights, CrossFit Games Host Rory McKernan and Head Judge Adrian Bozman go head to head on Open Workout 16.5. Director ...

You get to see Castro himself suffer in the above video

So I gave this a shot myself Saturday morning. When you're 135kgs lads the prospect of 84 bar hop burpees is very grim indeed. Added to that, I don't have the rack mobility to have the bar on my shoulders in the thrusters and press out of it so I had to 'Chemerkin' each rep:

To warmup I stretched and mobilised fully; did some presses and front squats from the bar up to 50kgs; did a bunch of thrusters @ 50kgs; some bar hop burpees; and then hopped on the rower @ ~2:00 / 500 pace for ten minutes. After my heartrate came down I felt well prepared. I had forewarned my judge that sub 30mins was the aim.

This was the most awful workout I ever attempted. Opened with a set of nine on the thrusters and automatically your heartrate spikes up, and it just stays up there the rest of the way. The two movements are different but equally demanding. I got through the round of 21 in five minutes, and the round of 18 in 12 minutes. Ended up resting forever between thruster sets and crawling off the floor on each burpee. The thrusters became a real drag too as the effort of holding the bar up through the movement compounded as it went along. My time in the end was 28:53. This is slow, but a bunch of lads down the gym came in around ~25mins and we had one of the lads who slowly (and heroically) grinded his way through 37mins to the finish.

Everyone should try this - it's a brutally simple workout that requires minimal equipment and space but I guarantee you'll learn something about yourself during it.

After recovering for a half hour I judged / cajoled one of the coaches through to a 17:08 workout and I can confidently say afterwards that this workout will kick everyone's ass no matter what their level of strength or fitness. One of the coaches is ~65kgs with a gymnastics background and he posted a time within seconds of mine as the thrusters were as difficult for him as the burpees were for me.

I'll come back to 16.2 and 16.4 over the coming month or so - really feel this Open was an exceptional test across both the RX and Scaled divisions.
                                          Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 28-03-16, 21:22.

Comment

I hadn't check 16.5 yet. That looks grim, nice job getting it done. I'm not looking forward to this one. 30 minutes sounds about right, slow is fast.

Comment

Rich Froning doing 16.4:

Rich Froning completes 315 reps on CrossFit Open Workout 16.413 Minute Amrap55 Deadlifts (225)55 Wall Ball55 Calorie Row55 HSPUhttp://www.whatsrichdoing.com

315 reps which led the way worldwide. Wow is all I can muster.

Comment

Did you see the Bridges' 16.4 video/fiasco?
                                                Posts 330 reps, gets approved by HQ and they announce him as the winner.
                                                Video comes out, lots dodgy reps, internet outrage, HQ docks him 15% of his score.
                                                Josh Bridges' winning performance of Open Workout 16.4 at CrossFit Invictus Point Loma in San Diego, California.The CrossFit Games -- (http://games.crossfit....

Now, Bridges has submitted the top score for 16.5.
                                                Josh Bridges' winning 16.5 score against the Open announcement showdown between Mat Fraser, Ben Smith, and Rich Froning.For greater resolution switch to 4K p...

Froning's score for 16.5 is blank.

Comment

There's some fuck up every year it seems, and they are very bad at facing the music and addressing these things fully in their own media. Not a single one of his Deadlifts are up to scratch and, being honest, his score post a 15% reduction is ludicrously generous to him. Bad movement standards for 'speed' is a problem that plagues every Crossfit gym and HQ should really have their eye on the ball on that stuff.

Comment

TBH, even in his latest video, some of the thruster lockouts are questionable. He was top score in 16.1 too.

These guys will always make regionals whether they dick around chasing the top spot or not. it's the guys on the cusp of qualifying who'll screw each other out of legit places.

Edit:
                                                    I meant to ask, did you do 16.5 scaled, or Rx'd?

Rx’d :
                                                    Men use 95 lb. (43 kg)

Scaled:
                                                    Men use 65 lb. (29 kg)
                                                    Last edited by Mellor; 29-03-16, 05:07.

Comment

RX'd - anytime I have the movements I'll do as prescribed

Comment

Ah balls, I can't dodge the Rx'd version now. I have the movements, I've done 21 x 43kg thrusters twice this year in Fran.
                                                        I've also be doing 10-9-8...3-2-1 thrusters and burpees. So I'm prob decently prepared for this one. By that, I meant I'll know I'll finish

Comment

Working...
                                                        X