Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    I like the festival in general but they've been taking the piss with the line up the last few years.
    Agreed, felt there was a clear point where they just said 'fuck it, lets just increase capacity and reduce our musical budget and see what happens'.

Seems like it worked

Comment

I like the festival in general but they've been taking the piss with the line up the last few years. Just in cash cow mode. There'll be cheap tickets floating around closer to the date, I may pick up one of those, but otherwise no. I've tickets for vantastival, ks and ATN so not feeling any pressure.

How about you?
      Yeah I'm going again. I have heard people saying the same as you about the line up several times over the last couple of years but honestly for me not knowing anyone playing has always been one of the best things about it as nobody I'm with is doing any pulling and dragging to this stage or that stage so it's all following the craic around for the weekend. I don't mind being a sucker too much so long as I'm enjoying myself.

I have some friends who went to ATN last year and said it was magic. I had it in my head that I had something on preventing me from going this year but I can't actually figure out what that was so maybe I'll end up at that too.

Comment

That's one way of getting over the line...

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
          Booked spur of the moment flights to Munich at the weekend for the June bank holiday. So far we have a 2 hour walking tour of Munich planned, a day tour visit to a concentration camp and hope to eat in Hofbrauhaus.

Anyone been to those or have any other recommendations?
          My rugby club had a polish tour 12 years ago. A trip was organized to Sudhwitz bus full of young men hungover. Absolutely killed the tour. If you like World War Two history Normandy be ideal nice weather and the French people there are nice unlike parisians I’m told.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
            Surgery tomorrow. Knee arthroscope. I know it's trivial in the grand schemes.
            But but pretty much everything is going wrong in 2019.
            Best of luck. Id say this has scuppered your bbj training for a while leading in to the operation and likely a good layoff after the operation?. Would this effect your confidence getting back into training?.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
              My rugby club had a polish tour 12 years ago. A trip was organized to Sudhwitz bus full of young men hungover. Absolutely killed the tour. If you like World War Two history Normandy be ideal nice weather and the French people there are nice unlike parisians I’m told.
              The day before Brianmc’s wedding the gang was heading to Auschwitz as it was the only day in the schedule to fit it in. I passed because how is that anyway to get in the mood for a party?
              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                The day before Brianmc’s wedding the gang was heading to Auschwitz as it was the only day in the schedule to fit it in. I passed because how is that anyway to get in the mood for a party?
                Be bad enough to get even you on the drink. Visiting habrá ado 5 years ago in Berlin done a delightful walking tour for 4 hours personal highlights chasing away two Roma gypsy beggars and shaming a couple into giving our guide a few quid it was free but gratuity based. Cunts smoke in pubs there which is horrific

Comment

Last year I visited a genocide memorial/museum in all three counties in EA I was in. That certainly wasn't something I'd set out to do. I'm not sure I could answer why I went. It's not a macabre interest on my part. More that it's something that I feel I should acknowledge. They seem like events that are so far removed from our lives, and so unlikely, and yet they're right there in our recent past (and present). People are capable of this.

I'd only go travelling solo. Murambi in Rwanda alone was a very different experience than walking around the Kigali memorial filled with American tourists.
                  Last edited by Denny Crane; 13-05-19, 18:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                    Yeah I'm going again. I have heard people saying the same as you about the line up several times over the last couple of years but honestly for me not knowing anyone playing has always been one of the best things about it as nobody I'm with is doing any pulling and dragging to this stage or that stage so it's all following the craic around for the weekend. I don't mind being a sucker too much so long as I'm enjoying myself.

I have some friends who went to ATN last year and said it was magic. I had it in my head that I had something on preventing me from going this year but I can't actually figure out what that was so maybe I'll end up at that too.
                    Yeah I can understand that. There's just been a big fall off in the numbers of people I know going to it year by year. I think at this stage it's just people working/playing at it, don't know any punters*.

Reminds me of talking to someone two years ago

"when you playing Denny?"
                    "I'm not"
                    "Oh, you're working on site?"
                    "No"
                    "You're not a...*look of revulsion*... punter are you?"

I think the paying folk are seen more as a hindrance than anything else!

ATN is great from all accounts, probably on the same timeline as B&S, loss leader first year...aiming for printing the loots down the line.

Comment

Last year I visited a genocide memorial/museum in all three counties in EA I was in. That certainly wasn't something I'd set out to do. I'm not sure I could answer why I went. It's not a macabre interest on my part. More that it's something that I feel I should acknowledge. They seem like events that are so far removed from our lives, and so unlikely, and yet they're right there in our recent past (and present). People are capable of this.

I'd only go travelling solo. Murambi in Rwanda alone was a very different experience than walking around the Kigali memorial filled with American tourists.
                      Did you write any trip reports of this travel? I think I missed that you went.

Comment

I've had a strong interest in WW2 since school. Was pretty much the only exam I ever got A grades for in class. The reason for wanting to visit is to see what those people had to endure and go through, try and get an idea of what it was like to see the absolute pits of life and survive for the few that did and try to comprehend what they must have gone through (which I imagine will be close to impossible).

I'm not expecting it to be pleasant. I just expect it to add some realisation to everything I have read and watched about that period so far.
                        I had the rather surreal experience of going to Oswiecim (Auschwitz) and then been locked into a cafe for our own safety while a group of neo-Nazi skinhead fpotball fans caused mayhem in the street.

Fucking ironic eh.
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                          Best of luck. Id say this has scuppered your bbj training for a while leading in to the operation and likely a good layoff after the operation?. Would this effect your confidence getting back into training?.
                          Haven't trained at all in 7 weeks. My mental state isn't great at the minute, combination of issues, and ironically training would be the ideal distraction/therapy.
                          Don't think it would affect my confidence generally, but I'll probably be overprotective of this knee for a while. Depends how is it feels different or weak post-surgery I suppose.

Comment

Booked spur of the moment flights to Munich at the weekend for the June bank holiday. So far we have a 2 hour walking tour of Munich planned, a day tour visit to a concentration camp and hope to eat in Hofbrauhaus.

Anyone been to those or have any other recommendations?
                            The augustiner brewey is my favourite. For places to go this is a must do.

it details the rise of the third reich and the impact after the war. set aside at least 3 hours, it's my favourite museum I have been to since initial trip to 6th floor JFK one back in 2009. It is a lot better than the concentration camp tour.

Comment

Barry greenstein telling some good stories on the Joey Ingram podcast, live now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfGo7oH0ft0

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                Anyone ever stay at Ashford Castle? Any/many Irish or Europeans there, or just wall-to-wall rich Yanks? I am crazy to be thinking about a two night break there later in the year when the rates are bit more reasonable? A few of the stay-n-food packages look relatively OK when you factor in how much the food would cost a la carte; talking €1k for two nights, which would include standard room, 5 course dinner for two in the best restaurant, 3 course dinner for two in the other restaurant, afternoon tea on day, spa access, etc...

Done much of my growing up one hour's drive from the place, so have been to the grounds a good bit, always was fascinated by the luxury within the hotel itself!
                                Food there is just above average to be blunt (not hyperbole, it really is incredible underwhelming). If that's a large part of the decision making then abandon the plan. The interior is comfortable for the most part. Most of the enjoyment comes from the exterior in my opinion; boat tour; falconry; walking/cycling the surroundings. I have heard Dromoland Castle offers a lot more since their reopening.

Comment

Best GOT episode in an age? I thought it was unreal.

Comment

Yeah I can understand that. There's just been a big fall off in the numbers of people I know going to it year by year. I think at this stage it's just people working/playing at it, don't know any punters*.

Reminds me of talking to someone two years ago

"when you playing Denny?"
                                    "I'm not"
                                    "Oh, you're working on site?"
                                    "No"
                                    "You're not a...*look of revulsion*... punter are you?"

I think the paying folk are seen more as a hindrance than anything else!

ATN is great from all accounts, probably on the same timeline as B&S, loss leader first year...aiming for printing the loots down the line.
                                    Hang on a sec, have I missed something over the years? Do you play ta music festivals (by play I assume dj type stuff)? It seems like something I'd have picked up on if you had mentioned this before.

Comment

No no, just the group I was talking to at the time were all crew or small DJs, so that person thought I was something similar until she realised I was a Joe Soap.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                        Best GOT episode in an age? I thought it was unreal.
                                        Yes. I get the hate, but I thought it was great. A little contrived, but the show has always been contrived whenever it strayed from the books.
                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Did anybody else watch "A day in Gaza" on BBC last night? Found it equally enthralling and shocking. Definitely worth a watch.

The Palestinians and Israeli's are just so far apart, so much vitriolic and deeply ingrained hate built up on both sides (unsurprisingly).

I find it difficult to fathom how there can ever be a peaceful co-existence between the two peoples without a bunch of Nelson Mandela's springing up from the abyss into positions of power on both sides.
                                          Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                            Yes. I get the hate, but I thought it was great. A little contrived, but the show has always been contrived whenever it strayed from the books.
                                            Def best of a terrible season
                                            SPOILER
                                            Danaerys going crazy is obv GRR martins ending but it feels unearned in the show because of how they have rushed everything. Read all the spoilers for rest of season after last weeks episodes, they were 100% accurate, next week is a stinker

Also what was the point of Arya in this episode, was seriously funking for a building to fall on her head. And that Euron fight scene was awful.clegane fight lame. Jon snow and Tyrion lame, it’s all their fault really, they’ve turned them into the dumbest characters on the show

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
                                              Did anybody else watch "A day in Gaza" on BBC last night? Found it equally enthralling and shocking. Definitely worth a watch.

The Palestinians and Israeli's are just so far apart, so much vitriolic and deeply ingrained hate built up on both sides (unsurprisingly).

I find it difficult to fathom how there can ever be a peaceful co-existence between the two peoples without a bunch of Nelson Mandela's springing up from the abyss into positions of power on both sides.
                                              Israelis definitely worse though, more work needed on their end.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                The night is dark and full of spoilers
                                                SPOILER

Ok last episode, whose story gets ignored

-Dany
                                                -Jon
                                                -Greyworm
                                                -Davos
                                                -Tyrion
                                                -Arya
                                                -Bronn (gotta make sure to resolve this one )
                                                -Sansa
                                                -Brienne
                                                -Bran
                                                -Edmure
                                                -Gendry
                                                -Hotpie
                                                -Sam & Gilly
                                                -Tormund & Ghost
                                                -Rando Dornish prince
                                                -Yara

Theory time

Bran to warg Drogon and eat cersei
                                                (after arya or jon dies)
                                                Sansa to sit on the throne with tyrion
                                                fin.

Or.....

Gendry to sit on the throne (after everyone dies) showing the futility of war having a ten year long war only to end up with a Baratheon back on the throne anyway.

Why D&D chose a 6 ep season to wrap up the most convuluted world builing in tv history is flat out greed (disney/start wars came knocking). It needed more eps to do the previous 7 seasons justice imo

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                  Def best of a terrible season
                                                  SPOILER
                                                  Danaerys going crazy is obv GRR martins ending but it feels unearned in the show because of how they have rushed everything. Read all the spoilers for rest of season after last weeks episodes, they were 100% accurate, next week is a stinker

Also what was the point of Arya in this episode, was seriously funking for a building to fall on her head. And that Euron fight scene was awful.clegane fight lame. Jon snow and Tyrion lame, it’s all their fault really, they’ve turned them into the dumbest characters on the show

SPOILER
                                                  Re: Dany: agreed completely. If it had happened over 4 or 5 episodes it would have been great. It's a bit like when Stannis burned Shireen. It seems jarring at first.

Arya was the window through which we saw the suffering of King's Landing, obvs.

Yeah "Danebowl" wasn't great. Cleganebowl was anti-climactic, although it was always going to be when the hype levels were so high. It was basically fan service.
                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                    The night is dark and full of spoilers
                                                    SPOILER

Ok last episode, whose story gets ignored

-Dany - Sits on the Iron Throne surrounded by ashes (not snow) and then gets assassinated by Arya
                                                    -Jon - Sits on the Iron Throne after Dany
                                                    -Greyworm - Killed by Arya and/or Jon defending Dany at the last
                                                    -Davos - Place on the Small Council
                                                    -Tyrion - Resigns as hand, retires to Casterly Rock
                                                    -Arya - dies, inhabits her Direwolf
                                                    -Bronn (gotta make sure to resolve this one ) - his arc is done
                                                    -Sansa - a brief goodbye scene, no major input
                                                    -Brienne - shacks up with Tormund
                                                    -Bran - revealed to have been pulling the strings of everything that happened in the last three seasons - brought Arya a horse etc
                                                    -Edmure - Lord not appearing in this season
                                                    -Gendry - a brief goodbye scene, no major input
                                                    -Hotpie - lol
                                                    -Sam & Gilly - Jon's last act as king is to appoint Sam Lord of Horn Hill
                                                    -Tormund & Ghost - they have a buddy comedy odd couple spin-off
                                                    -Rando Dornish prince - lol
                                                    -Yara - retired

Why D&D chose a 6 ep season to wrap up the most convuluted world builing in tv history is flat out greed (disney/start wars came knocking). It needed more eps to do the previous 7 seasons justice imo

Yes.

Comment

Mike Dean. He never disappoints

Comment

Is Limerick/Adare still best driving route from Dublin to Killarney? Someone in work mentioned going to Cork and across could be an option
                                                        Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                        https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                          Is Limerick/Adare still best driving route from Dublin to Killarney? Someone in work mentioned going to Cork and across could be an option
                                                          Could be worth a look alright, Adare is a shitshow at peak times, you could be stuck 45 mins getting through it at bad times. Hopefully if they get 2026 Ryder cup they’ll get some dough for a bypass, nice town but some bottleneck. Wouldn’t become a ghost town with a bypass like some places

Comment

No way . Adare wouldn't hold you up enough to justify. Fly a and hire car.

Comment

Limerick Adare still best. The drive from cork, through Macroom, Ballyvourney etc is soul destroying.

I'm in Kerry regularly with work and any time I have to do a drop in Cork I'm held up more than going through Limerick

Comment

Took the oul rothar for its and my first spin in about 16 months. Weird how something so unnatural can feel more natural than walking.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

If you are worried about hitting Adare at peak times you can go by Foynes, down through Listowel etc. I often go from Limerick to Tralee that way, there's normally five minutes in the difference either way.

You'd only go via Cork if you're a mug.

Comment

Time it right, wont be an issue.

Early morning up till noon would be grand any day.
                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                      If you are worried about hitting Adare at peak times you can go by Foynes, down through Listowel etc. I often go from Limerick to Tralee that way, there's normally five minutes in the difference either way.

You'd only go via Cork if you're a mug.
                                                                      And you avoid NCW and Abbeyfeal that route.
                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Comment

Any special craic to booking a 12 y/o on a flight unaccompanied?

Probably Aer Lingus, but might be Ryanair

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                            Any special craic to booking a 12 y/o on a flight unaccompanied?

Probably Aer Lingus, but might be Ryanair
                                                                            When providing arrangements for your unaccompanied minor on Aer Lingus flights, our guide will inform you on all the restrictions and services available to your child.

Comment

Jaysus, what happened to your parents walking you to the gate and handing you over to cabin crew and you being met by whoever at the other side. Madness Ted.

Comment

AL it is so. TY sir

Comment

Jaysus, what happened to your parents walking you to the gate and handing you over to cabin crew and you being met by whoever at the other side. Madness Ted.
                                                                                  Same thing that happened to bringing a bottle of water through security.

Comment

Dubai airport has a dedicated room and staff just for unaccompanied kids, most be a regular enough thing there
                                                                                    Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                    https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Dubai airport has a dedicated room and staff just for unaccompanied kids, most be a regular enough thing there
                                                                                      What's the cheapest ticket and how long will they mind them for ?

Comment

Did enjoy this quality piece of election poster defacement this evening. Scroll to the bottom for full enjoyment.

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                          What's the cheapest ticket and how long will they mind them for ?
                                                                                          12 y/o getting dispatched to Switzerland for a week in July. She'll be in Montreux for the fucking jazz festival if you don't mind (not by design, family there).

Then a week in England with the Guides in August.

And 3 weeks in Normandy with the family in between.

Some life tbf.

Comment

12 y/o getting dispatched to Switzerland for a week in July. She'll be in Montreux for the fucking jazz festival if you don't mind (not by design, family there).

Then a week in England with the Guides in August.

And 3 weeks in Normandy with the family in between.

Some life tbf.
                                                                                            Raoul Duchess the 1st

Comment

Penos at WBA

Comment

Penalty Shootout upcoming in the West Brom v Villa Playoff SF

Comment

What a fabulous season to finish off a great tv show VEEP.

Finale was superb, up there with the last episode of the Sopranos.

My only gripe.

SPOILER
                                                                                                  I get how frivolous TV audiences are, but the cut away to the Hanks death at the end was just strange.
                                                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

I posted 6 months ago about losing my job, than the feeling that I was being scapegoated. Got some good advice here at the time, thanks again all. I never really reached a conclusion as to what happened. But I don't care. The change absolutely worked out better for me.
                                                                                                    I walked into a contract role within a week. Senior position, with a pay increase - although contract means no holiday or sick pay, but also means I get actually hourly not a salary. Swings and roundabouts. I held off on making the "new job" post for 6 months because I didn't want to get ahead of myself. But they've talked about making me perm since before Christmas so doing something right. It's a much bigger company, so more change of progression and working on some big jobs.
                                                                                                    Anyway just said I'd post something positive for a change. Hopefully it gets the Hotspur seal of approval

Comment

Apollo 11 is absolutely stunning. Superbly put together, and plays more like a film than a documentary. gripping stuff and the footage they found is unbelievable. Feels like i was there, and the heart is still racing.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                        Only started watching it a month ago.
                                                                                                        Definitely worth catching up with for anyone who hasn't seen it.

New series starts tonight on Dave at 9pm, not the most appealing cast at first glance though.
                                                                                                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taskma...eries_8_(2019)
                                                                                                        Joe Thomas is really weird, always looks somewhere between awkward and terrified when he has to interact with anyone. Bit of a problem if planning to do the celebrity panel show circuit.

Comment

Five hours and counting in Temple St on what is a 1/10 shot to be a hairline wrist fracture.

Comment

Five hours and counting in Temple St on what is a 1/10 shot to be a hairline wrist fracture.
                                                                                                            first buddha bag inflicted injury?

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                              1/20
                                                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Some absolute twat Trumptard tweets his support for the Alabama abortion ban with some bizzare logic

To which got this ingenious reply

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Folding quads getting 5/1

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                                    Running around on the slipway in Howth with the brownies. Fell and it all went through the left wrist.

Buckle fracture indeed. Cast for a few weeks then grand.

In the daytime they have advanced nurse grades that can assess and treat minor stuff like this. At night however, they have none and you wait....and wait....and wait. Fucking health service would be a hell of a lot better with efficient resource allocation, wouldn't cost a penny.

Comment

Drew Harris seems to be shaking things up alright, Superintendent arrested this morning along with some other guards seemingly over collusion with a criminal gang. Poor old Paul Reynolds and Williams are gonna have to do more than make up stories about guards eating cornflakes boxes for breakfast to bury this stuff

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                                        Drew Harris seems to be shaking things up alright, Superintendent arrested this morning along with some other guards seemingly over collusion with a criminal gang. Poor old Paul Reynolds and Williams are gonna have to do more than make up stories about guards eating cornflakes boxes for breakfast to bury this stuff
                                                                                                                        It's the prison service that really needs looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                          Clearly correct, he shipped the tournament

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X