Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
    They seem to be the real deal, one of the three main UK companies and the director at the BGT is one of their top people.

Bord Gais theatre is considered problematic in Ireland though (amongst the handful of people in theatre that I know). Been described to me as putting on Z Cast editions of WestEnd/Broadway shows which give little or nothing to actual theatre here, and always choosing slam dunk no-risk commercial certainties. Make of that what you will, I'm sure there's a valid alternate viewpoint.
    Be interesting to see if the likes of Rory Kinnear reprise their roles from the London run though, Dublin cast not announced yet I notice.
    Many years ago, when I was doing my Highers at school, we studied Hamlet for English. We organised as a class to go and see it at the Theatre in Glasgow, it was done by the Royal Shakespeare Company and was utterly amazing. I can still remember so much about it, despite it being 30 years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
      Why do people do this to themselves? She's at Google and may get paid well if you looked at the salary but the hourly wage would make most (social) people run.

It's a fucking genius plan from tech companies, no need to pay your staff, hire people who will enjoy looking at a work screen 14 hours a day, don't give reasonable work hours or even allow them leave the building. Stay here and avoid the rest of the world, there's a pool table over there but don't dare play a full game!

Maybe I've been spoiled in my place (small company with laid back owners) and I'm always telling friends to leave their jobs once they consistently have to work over 40 hour weeks with no compensation but fuck me most people are abused by their employers.
      Its a tried and trusted formula.
      Supply a few amenities, a dash of cool, an idea of 'we're all in it together' and foister an environment where you don't have to leave as everything you need is right here in work.
      Ea used to have sleeping bags under the desks ffs
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
        Macbeth in the BGE Theatre. Anyone know anything about the production company? As good as their marketing would have you believe?
        Top UK company, probably very good. I just bought 2 tix for the Sat. anyway
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          Is €1500 about right these days for solucitors fees on a property purchase\sale?
          Mine in the last week was 2.5k all up.

1.5 for pure solicitor fees + 1k for legal crap (land registry etc).

Was discount with linked in Financial Advisor service though.
          Last edited by Fullof..It; 06-12-18, 08:09.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
            Bord Gais theatre is considered problematic in Ireland though (amongst the handful of people in theatre that I know). Been described to me as putting on Z Cast editions of WestEnd/Broadway shows which give little or nothing to actual theatre here, and always choosing slam dunk no-risk commercial certainties. Make of that what you will, I'm sure there's a valid alternate viewpoint.
            While I am sure we don't always get the absolute A List stars I am not sure it's Z List.

When Oliver! toured here a couple of years back Neil Morrissey played Fagin and Samantha Barks played Nancy. Morrissey is a decent stage actor but Barks was Eponine in Les Mis on Broadway and the West End and portrayed her in the Les Miserable movie, as well as being selected as the Eponine to perform at the 25th Anniversary performances. She is also fucking superb.

So we do get some top class talent here too. Though not always, I accept that.
            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Is €1500 about right these days for solucitors fees on a property purchase\sale?
              It's about what I am paying and that's to a family friend.

Comment

Just about calming down now after reading articles a few weeks ago giving most of the credit for Europe’s Ryder cup win to the data analytics guys hired by Bjorne.
                In the Ryder fucking cup where one team clearly cares less than the other because their players make much more money and win more actual meaningful golf tournaments, Ryder cup captain and vice captains clearly the most bullshit job in sports
                It’s bad enough having to listen to this stuff in the workplace ( where in fairness it can have some use) but I really don’t want to hear about it in sports coverage. I’d prefer if most sports legalized PEDs and banned gps trackers and all of that. Sounds like there is a good few lads stealing a living using gps packs to point out the obvious in intercounty GAA teams at the moment.
                If they won’t ban it then at least ban people talking about it, or giving credit to the data guys. They should be like the production/sound guys at the oscars who get their awards in an empty auditorium before the real stars show up
                Last edited by Guest; 06-12-18, 09:43.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                  It's about what I am paying and that's to a family friend.
                  Kayroo will be horrified.

For me, it's a generic service you could probably do yourself. I'll be going with Lionel Hutz for this one.

Comment

For me, it's a generic service you could probably do yourself. I'll be going with Lionel Hutz for this one.
                    100%

Yes I've heard of solicitors doing good work in spotting something wrong with agreements but for the most of it it's straight forward.

Prepare to hear about them liaising with other solicitors via written letters in the post. Torturous.

3 Worst People when buying / moving house imo

1. Estate Agents
                    2. Tradesmen
                    3. Solicitors

Comment

This is the itemised list I got from my guy in Tralee earlier this year. I suppose there would be a Dublin premium to add on top possibly.

Professional Fee €1,250.00

Miscellaneous Charges (telephone, postage etc.) €50.00

VAT @ 23% €299.00

In addition to this, the following outlay is payable;

Searches (approx)(bankruptcy, judgment and property) €61.50

Commissioner for Oaths €30.00

Land Registry fees €915.00 (Transfer 700, Mortgage 175 & Folio 40)

The total approximate fees and outlay therefore come to €2605.50

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                        Rudi Gullani, makes a typo, creates a link. Worth a click (its safe)

And he's blaming twitter for it

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                          Just about calming down now after reading articles
                          Try the facebook emails if you want to get your blood pressure back up a bit

Zuckerberg mused about how Facebook could mimic financial institutions as an “informational bank” whose assets were user’s personal information rather than money.
                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post

That's former head of Cyber Security Rudy Giuliani to you!
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                              The law recognises that a cooling off occurs. But where the reporting and the case are contemporaneous then it jeopardises a fair trial. The Court also stated that public discussion of legal issues was appropriate and wouldn't generally jeopardise trials but that when a defence was attacked in this way it could prejudice a jury.
                              I'll grant that discussion of the program amongst the members of the jury may well have been legitimate grounds for her discharging the jury. However on the point you mention, I assume you are stating it as a fact of law, I'm finding it very hard to see how the idea of cooling off makes sense.
                              Are jurors assumed to be so stupid that if they heard a discussion about the way the legal profession use and abuse 'provocation' a month or a year ago it is different than if they heard it during the time they are charged with being a member of a jury?
                              Am I right that these are topics that are open to of both sides to mention in court?
                              E.G "There has been much public discussion in recent times of the defence of provocation and you members of the jury are charged with considering only what you hear in this court..."

If we are to close down jury trials because of public discussion of the deep and widespread disquiet about how the profession run criminal trials on a win at any cost basis using victim blaming and shaming, be it crow bangers or waving frilly knickers in court, then there will be no more qualified juries to be found.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                That's former head of Cyber Security Rudy Giuliani to you!
                                Magnificent, you just couldn't make up that level of stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                  Good man. The Betting Forum should be finished c.5.30pm so you should be able to sneak in a quick bite somewhere before you take your seat at Macbeth.
                                  With results like mine, you should be paying me to sit on the panel.

I can unveil my obscure theories on AW jockey bookings on a wet Tuesday in February.

Comment

Seems to be a significant win for Graham Dwyer on a point of law regarding use of phone data at his trial.
                                    Not sure what it means for his chances of a retrial.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

This is a great read on why Brexit, as sold by Johnson & co., was always an unachievable mirage - and how we got to where we are.

Comment

This is a great profoundly depressing read on why Brexit, as sold by Johnson & co., was always an unachievable mirage - and how we got to where we are.
                                          FYP IMO

But hey you gotta laugh

Comment

This is a great read on why Brexit, as sold by Johnson & co., was always an unachievable mirage - and how we got to where we are.

Comment

In fairness she has been worth her weight in gold on a few things. We are also first time buyers so the cost should be less for us.

I wouldn't cut corners if I was you but I'm no expert.

Comment

I work for a property developer. Hate paying legal fees, however, having seen the hassle that poor conveyancing has caused the company, and the costs associated with remedying the problems, it is not an area i'd cut corners.

You'll only know the issues when they arise in a few decades time as you look to sell the property.

Unrelated note, broke my dominant hand, had surgery and screws inserted. Irish healthcare system has not treated me well...
                                                Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
                                                  I work for a property developer. Hate paying legal fees, however, having seen the hassle that poor conveyancing has caused the company, and the costs associated with remedying the problems, it is not an area i'd cut corners.

You'll only know the issues when they arise in a few decades time as you look to sell the property.

Unrelated note, broke my dominant hand, had surgery and screws inserted. Irish healthcare system has not treated me well...
                                                  When we sold our house a couple of years ago it turned out there were planning issues in relation to the extension the previous owner had built.

Nearly resulted in us losing out on our new house.

Could have ended up costing us a fortune but luckily I found someone to sign off on the extension.

Lionel Hutz might be ok but for the sake of an extra couple of grand why take the chance.
                                                  Last edited by elbows; 06-12-18, 17:42.
                                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                          When we sold our house a couple of years ago it turned out there were planning issues in relation to the extension the previous owner had built.

Could have ended up costing us a fortune but luckily I found someone to sign off on the extension.

Lionel Hutz might be ok but for the sake of an extra couple of grand why take the chance.
                                                          Coincidentally, we met Elbows in Beshoffs seconds after he posted this and got the full tour of the legendary potato room. I was impressed, not sure the kids grasped the momentousness of what they were seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                            Those leftist controlling fcktards have now made dick measuring analogies verboten
                                                            I was doing some mandatory manager training today (like online shite, but you have to do it on pain of dismemberment). The very first scenario concerned a manager who had taken his team out on the lash the night before and had a smeaking suspicion he might have behaved inapprpriately towards the attractive new hire....awkwardness and moral dilemnas ensue.

It was like a 2 out of 10 on the scale of potentially bad shit. Americans are so straight-laced it's nuts. No swearing in meetings either.

Comment

Comment

Just out for dinner and got our bottle of Rioja in a cooler with ice....we are back.... #tigertwo

PS is Rigger still alive?

Comment

Why link conveyancing fees to the property value? Is more work required the higher the property price or something?
                                                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Coincidentally, we met Elbows in Beshoffs seconds after he posted this and got the full tour of the legendary potato room. I was impressed, not sure the kids grasped the momentousness of what they were seeing.
                                                                    It was great to meet the Duke clan and finally show off our wonderful potato room.
                                                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

It was great to meet the Duke clan and finally show off our wonderful potato room.
                                                                      "it smells of potato" was the gist of the feedback.

Although they did point you in the direction of expansion opportunities, which I thought showed some entrepreneurial spark.

"why don't you make crisps?"

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                        Fairly sure I remember meeting him in the summer, lurking suspiciously outside the NCI.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Yeah. Went for tea and cake last week.

He's just informed me he has a steak at home. He didn't say if he's cooking it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                            Bear in mind the obvious point that paying more doesn't equate to getting better service. But maybe paying more to the right solicitor does. There are no quality ratings on solicitors. Presumably they're also insurance bonded in case of bad service, regardless of amount paid?
                                                                            Do you remember a few years back there was a site out there called something like rateyoursolicitor? I think it got taken down, but did read a good bit on it when I was working in a Solicitors. Some nasty stuff left on it.

Comment

Yeah this is basically exactly what I was going to say.

Solicitor only seems like a waste of money if he does a great job. What was all the fuss over. Sure, you could do it yourself and it might seem like it worked but down the road if you have an impaired title or planning issues or you didn’t register it properly or you failed to create a mandatory registration or any of a huge number of possible things. I have done enough applications to fix title or opinions to clarify title issues to know that doing this yourself is a bad idea.

That being said, I misunderstood the quote you originally gave. Including outlays that’s probably closer to 3k. That’s closer to being right. 3-6k all in would be the average I’d say.

Comment

We paid 2755 for our house purchase which was a new build and no sale by us involved, so on the more straightforward end of the scale.

Comment

Season 2 of Ms. Maisel starting off just as good as the first.

Comment

I guess who you go for really depends on how complicated it could be (if you can gauge that?), obviously if there was an extension you would want that looked into in particular.

I was told by all and sundry to get a solicitor for my PIAB application. Maybe the average lout should get one but to me, having seen what is involved, it was just a waste of 3-4 grand. I can see why, in general, it was advised for people to get one. After a PIAB adjudication is contested is when a legal team are much more useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                      I guess who you go for really depends on how complicated it could be (if you can gauge that?), obviously if there was an extension you would want that looked into in particular.

I was told by all and sundry to get a solicitor for my PIAB application. Maybe the average lout should get one but to me, having seen what is involved, it was just a waste of 3-4 grand. I can see why, in general, it was advised for people to get one. After a PIAB adjudication is contested is when a legal team are much more useful.
                                                                                      If it's likely to go past PIAB or if you think there's a reasonable chance of it then you don't want to torpedo your claim by an innocent error in the PIAB stage. But for small claims or injuries doing it yourself is perfectly reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                                        Season 2 of Ms. Maisel starting off just as good as the first.
                                                                                        Think I managed to watch 2 1/2 episodes of the first season (are there 4 in total?); didn't stop because it wasn't enjoyable, rather our Amazon Prime subscription ran out and I haven't bothered getting a torrent, the wife saw the entire first season so less reason to do so. Thought it was excellent!

Comment

Anyone watch The Last Kingdom? Almost finished Season 3. I wasn't sure of it at first, but after a few episodes I really started to enjoy it and I found each season it has gone from strength to strength.

Saw the latest episode of Vikings a few days ago and think that The Last Kingdom is actually better than the latest Vikings season or 2.

Comment

... 3-6k all in would be the average I’d say.
                                                                                            Eh
                                                                                            How can the average on what is a boilerplate job be a range where one end of double the other end.

That kind of arbitrary pricing is what I found recently when I got quotes to do a clearly specified boilerplate job that were from 1k to 2.7k

Comment

Eh
                                                                                              How can the average on what is a boilerplate job be a range where one end of double the other end.

That kind of arbitrary pricing is what I found recently when I got quotes to do a clearly specified boilerplate job that were from 1k to 2.7k
                                                                                              "My Lord, the defendant is clearly in the range of 25-75% Not Guilty. The defence rests."

Comment

"My Lord, the defendant is clearly in the range of 25-75% Not Guilty. The defence rests."
                                                                                                Are you taking a half day to watch the hockey later? I’m workig from home today (purely coincidentally) so I reckon laptop open drafting a few letters with Ire v Eng on in the background. Amazing that it’s not getting any real coverage yet but if they got the win and qualified for the quarters I’d say the bandwagon would be revved up in no time!
                                                                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                  Are you taking a half day to watch the hockey later? I’m workig from home today (purely coincidentally) so I reckon laptop open drafting a few letters with Ire v Eng on in the background. Amazing that it’s not getting any real coverage yet but if they got the win and qualified for the quarters I’d say the bandwagon would be revved up in no time!
                                                                                                  Nope. Work is mad and don't know anyone involved in the men's squad plus none from my club in it. Whereas one of my friends was the women's attacking coach so felt much more invested in that!

Comment

We finally have our own Zapruder film in Ireland, the Longford Garda shooting video is getting some impressively insane over analysis on boards

Comment

Priti Patel

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                        Priti Patel
                                                                                                        She's right up there in the pantheon of assclowns driving them off the cliff.

There is a non zero percentage chance that this all ends up with goons like them in control and things escalate to the point where we would be forced to make some very tough calls on how we are to deal with a very hard border with a unfriendly state.

Having spent all my life vigorously defending the right of the British people of Northern Ireland remain within the UK, if they do go No Deal I don't think I would have much problem with us redrawing the border right up to East Belfast by whatever means and unilaterally if necessary.
                                                                                                        In London at the moment having great fun explaining that position to anyone who dares to proclaim support for NoDeal

Comment

Nope. Work is mad and don't know anyone involved in the men's squad plus none from my club in it. Whereas one of my friends was the women's attacking coach so felt much more invested in that!
                                                                                                          I’ve been working 60 hour weeks for the past 6-8 weeks. Back in the day that wasn’t an issue but these days with responsibilities at home and a commute it’s pretty draining. One week left and I’m putting the feet up for 3 weeks. I can’t wait!
                                                                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

First Trailer for AVENGERS 4 ENDGAME All trailers with courtesy of the rightholders. | All rights reserved. ©#Movie #Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                              I’ve been working 60 hour weeks for the past 6-8 weeks. Back in the day that wasn’t an issue but these days with responsibilities at home and a commute it’s pretty draining. One week left and I’m putting the feet up for 3 weeks. I can’t wait!
                                                                                                              60 hours a week would be pleasant for me atm.

All part of the continuing uplift plan, hopefully.

Comment

Eh

It’s not always a boilerplate job. There is registered and unregistered land in Ireland with various degrees of title issues. Registered new build - about 3k. Unregistered apartment in an old Georgian house in dublin where it used to be one complete house but now is the groundfloor apartment with some access to a garden - that’s a bit more complex.

That’s why.

Comment

It’s not always a boilerplate ...

That’s why.
                                                                                                                  Of course, just the approx. 90% that are then

Comment

whats the coaching pedagogy like in hockey these days? mainly scenario based, we want to get ball into this area, move defenders to here then have a shooting opportunity or structured from set piece go here, do this etc.

Comment

Those crazy French people protesting at this time of the year. You do that shit in the summer when a water cannon is refreshing, and the gendarmerie are pissed off in their gear with the heat.

Comment

Noticed today that Tesco finally have an own brand lactose free cows milk. 20 cent dearer than either Aldi or Lidl, though still 60 cent cheaper than Avonmore.

Comment

Disappointed none of you told me Sonny Knowles died a few weeks ago

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X