Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
    Our Aimee gets picked up by the school bus at 7.25 and she's in school for 8am. Starts at 8.25. That's all free.

After school, it's 80c per hour from 2.30-5.30pm. Same price for holidays and summer holidays, and it opens from 7am-5.30pm.

Pretty reasonable in Malta!
    Not quite! In the summer, which is 3 whole months long. After the first 2 weeks have passed, you send the kids to summer school from 8-12.30 mon to friday and then you have to pay the 80c per hour for the remainder of the day.

Then they do the same at the end with 2 weeks of a Bridge thing where you pay the 80c an hour for the hours you need.

The 8 weeks in between cost €25 FOR THE WHOLE SUMMER. A single payment made in a month or so that covers you. How can you get your head round that? €3.12 PER WEEK for about 4 hours. I can't remember the actual times.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
      I wonder if much of anything will come of Drew Harris's comments today.

In a 2015 report commissioned by the British government on the status of Irish terrorist groups, and which was written by the PSNI and MI5, it was stated the Provisional Army Council still existed, as did the Provisional IRA (PIRA), though in a smaller form and committed to the peace process.

The report further stated that the Provisional Army Council still strategically oversaw both the IRA and Sinn Féin.
      Dogs in street. Etc.

SF is not like other political parties.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Was gonna post this in the running thread but I think a few others here might like it, a little gem of a vid..

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

This is pretty cool. Handdrawn Sketches converted to code using AI.

Opr

Comment

I wonder if much of anything will come of Drew Harris's comments today.

In a 2015 report commissioned by the British government on the status of Irish terrorist groups, and which was written by the PSNI and MI5, it was stated the Provisional Army Council still existed, as did the Provisional IRA (PIRA), though in a smaller form and committed to the peace process.

The report further stated that the Provisional Army Council still strategically oversaw both the IRA and Sinn Féin.

Committed to the peace process but still pulling the strings.
            Former psni drew Harris agrees with psni? Not sure that's a revelation. Also does the majority of Irish public not assume the same anyhow. The old boys were hardly gonna hand the keys over as long as they are gathering at a table and still a unit. To Mary Lou?
            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
              Former psni drew Harris agrees with psni? Not sure that's a revelation. Also does the majority of Irish public not assume the same anyhow. The old boys were hardly gonna hand the keys over as long as they are gathering at a table and still a unit. To Mary Lou?
              As well as that they are quoting from a 2015 report, shows how sad Leo the gimp is when he tweets the same day as that report pops it’s head above ground
              Will be partying with Mehole before the end of next week

Comment

Swoonson O'Neill OMGGG

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                  Current Garda Commissioner Drew Harris believes that a report from 2015 is still relevant to the current situation. Not a revelation but a pretty overt declaration. Additionally, I suspect he has access to a variety of further information to support those claims plus the original claims were supported by MI5 which is one the most accomplished organisations in the domain.

Hardly much has changed since 2015? He'd hardly support it now if he wasn't still equally, if not more assured than ever.

I actually don't think the majority of people voting SF are really aware or actually believe that Mary Lou and party take their directives from the PIRA. It seems still to be the case and that's hardly very democratic. You vote for person/party with the idea that they're the decision makers but in effect they take their directive from a non-elected decommisioned paramilitary body.

It happens in every political system that the non elected often have a disproportionate amount of influence but this seems quite different to most situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                    Swoonson O'Neill OMGGG
                    Gutted that song was on the LLS, thought I had it to myself

Comment

It's all about beating Trump.

Warren is best placed to make him look like the ignoramus, coward and bully he is.

That last election was close. 53% of white women voted for Trump. I think Warren could shift this stat.

It's a long shot but of the others have no chance.
                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

It's fooking mind blowing..

Performed by Mick Flannery and SON - aka Susan O'NeillStream+Buy "Baby Talk" https://shor.by/WKxLwww.mickflannery.comwww.instagram.com/soundsofson

Comment

Can't stop watching this..

Comment

I actually don't think the majority of people voting SF are really aware or actually believe that Mary Lou and party take their directives from the PIRA. It seems still to be the case and that's hardly very democratic. You vote for person/party with the idea that they're the decision makers but in effect they take their directive from a non-elected decommisioned paramilitary body.
                            It's particularly concerning when you consider the criminality that Mary Loo's bosses are engaged in.

Remember the gymnastics she engaged in to keep Slab Murphy, the 'good republican', onside?

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 21-02-20, 23:56.
                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Tubbs - "Are you happy Roy?"

Roy - "My kids often say to me, 'Dad, are you happy?' and I say yeah, and they say 'would you ever tell that to your face'"

lol

Comment

If you're planning to listen to any music this weekend you could do worse than starting off with a random one of these...

Andrew Weatherall: 10 of his greatest tracks
                                  Last edited by BennyHiFi; 22-02-20, 00:34.

Comment

It happens in every political system that the non elected often have a disproportionate amount of influence but this seems quite different to most situations.
                                    It would appear that Peadar Tóibín’s reference to the manner in which Sinn Féin operates has opened up an entire can of worms.It is no secret now regarding the manner in which pro-life republicans were forced out of Sinn Féin. The reason for that was the belief that the party needed to be seen to be part of the “progressive” movement dragging Ireland out of some alleged backward past.

Comment

I'm surprised you persuse that site Hotspur, it's a vehicle for far right propaganda

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                        Gutted that song was on the LLS, thought I had it to myself
                                        Saw Flannery about 10 years ago in the Johnstown Inn off the Naas road . About 40 people at it . He's a leftie like myself but has a very unique way of playing . Good to see him maturing especially in his songwriting.

That Susan O Neill one is stunning . Her voice is as effortless as Amis . I was swooning indeed

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                          On the big stage, when the nation is listening for substance, and not sound bites and not derogatory jokes, Bernie will hammer Trump. I believe that.

Bernie is the only candidate that can show trump up for the fraud he is to the 20-30% swing voters that matter, and he will do it in with substantive arguments and integrity.
                                          If the nation was looking for substance trump wouldn’t be in there. He sold a dream, and to be fair to him, has tried to enact lots of what he said in the campaign (or at least publicly looked like it)

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                          Anyone but Sanders will get humiliated by Trump.

The difference between Bernie and Hillary is, Bernie has integrity, demonstrative integrity. Trump hammered Hillary on this alone, 'more of the same, drain the swamp'.
                                          I’d compare that to Corbyn and Johnson, it’ll be no contest, integrity doesn’t win presidential elections.

Was gonna post this in the running thread but I think a few others here might like it, a little gem of a vid..

https://go.skimresources.com/?id=611...c59b28eaf24654
                                          Three in a row there Laz, and normally I don’t like you’re music but that was very nice of a Saturday morning.

Comment

Decided to bring Pancake Tuesday forward to today. Feel ill now.
                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                              Decided to bring Pancake Tuesday forward to today. Feel ill now.
                                              We have pancakes most sundays, nutella and strawberries on top. The really big, fluffy American style pancakes. Bloody gorgeous. Mate of mine popped round this morning before we head to Kerry and he loved em. Regret nothing. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                I'm surprised you persuse that site Hotspur, it's a vehicle for far right propaganda

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...laws-1.4149385
                                                I don't. I only came across Treacy's stuff on it in the last week due to a wave of nostalgia Googling and reading about provos. Even found myself in Chapters looking at books on them.

I used to consume a lot of books on Republican paramilitaries back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                  If you're planning to listen to any music this weekend you could do worse than starting off with a random one of these...

Andrew Weatherall: 10 of his greatest tracks
                                                  Been listening to his mixes all week. Always loved a trip to Ireland!
                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                      Is this really racist from Michael o'Leary? I mean the specific way it is worded.

"
                                                      Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary has sparked outrage for suggesting would-be plane bombers are more likely to be Muslim men - and airport security should focus on "where the threat is coming from".

He told The Times that potential terrorists will "generally be males of a Muslim persuasion" - and that families with young children should be waved through airport security as there was "virtually" no chance of them being terrorists.
                                                      "
                                                      Statistically, isn't he correct? Maybe he could have worded it better but wouldn't set off any racism alarms for me.

Comment

Saw Flannery about 10 years ago in the Johnstown Inn off the Naas road . About 40 people at it . He's a leftie like myself but has a very unique way of playing . Good to see him maturing especially in his songwriting.

That Susan O Neill one is stunning . Her voice is as effortless as Amis . I was swooning indeed
                                                        Yeah she's great. She moonlights with King Kong Company. All round lovely talented person.

Comment

My friend is living in China. He sent me a trip report

My project manager was visiting his parents in Wuhan when all this began, so he has been stuck in the quarantine zone ever since. The big thing at work lately is Meng Wanzhou's extradition hearing in Canada.
                                                          The way the quarantine works there is that the whole province of Hubei is cut off from the rest of the country, and within that each individual city is isolated from the others. Within a city people are generally allowed to go out to the shops, but you wouldn't be able to go to a friends home, for example. The only residential building you're allowed in is your own. So there's layers and layers of quarantine.
                                                          Shenzhen/HK, where I am, was the third most affected place, after the Wuhan/Hubei area and Wenzhou, where I used to live back in 2010. Here they've imposed a sort of soft quarantine. I could leave the city if I wanted, and I know people how have left, or arrived, but they doscourage it and they won't make it convenient. Similarly, I'm free to roam the city, but couldn't go to a friend's place for drinks. I'm working from home, as going to the office would mean wearing a mask from 8am to 6pm, and I don't think that would be my cup of tea.
                                                          Outside of Wuhan the actual infection situation is improving considerably. Today there were no new cases in the whole city, compared to 60 a day at the peak. At this point I'm not remotely worried, but I am increasing bored. Thankfully there have been no food shortages or anything like that in Shenzhen. I can't speak for lower-tier cities, though.

Comment

She was incredible last night, jaw dropping.

I missed out on a really great intimate Mick Flannery gig at EP by reading the timetable wrong. Arrived to the little tent as he left stage, was gutted. Would really like to get to him on this tour.

Comment

I think O'Leary should have made clear that the number of male Muslim bombers as a percentage of male Muslim passengers is infinitesimally small.
                                                              If he didn't, then I think it is pretty racist. It's the sort of language which emboldens racists and causes trouble at airports.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                    Statistically, isn't he correct? Maybe he could have worded it better but wouldn't set off any racism alarms for me.
                                                                    C'mon Raoul, if a public figure made a similar sweeping generalisation or trope about Jewish people you would not make that statement.

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Denny Crane; 22-02-20, 12:55.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                          I used to consume a lot of books on Republican paramilitaries back in the day.
                                                                          I bought https://irishacademicpress.ie/produc...and-1969-1980/ and a few by Tim Pat Coogan recently.

Anything else worth picking up?

Comment

Historically terrorist attacks via suicide bombing have been Muslim men but it is an infinitesimal proportion of Muslim men.

It's a very sweeping statement that certainly signals racial connotations given he's not an idiot and understands the threat posed by a random Muslim man is minuscule.

*missed AJ's post, yep what he said

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                              We have pancakes most sundays, nutella and strawberries on top. The really big, fluffy American style pancakes. Bloody gorgeous. Mate of mine popped round this morning before we head to Kerry and he loved em. Regret nothing. Lol
                                                                              I've been off bread/cake/biscuits for the last 6 weeks, so this was a major falling off the wagon. Tried the American style ones for a change too. Think I'll keep them as a once a month treat though. https://www.odlums.ie/recipes/american-style-pancakes/
                                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

I'm sure, after O'Leary's comments, any would be bomber will bring along the family too. I'm sure the wife and kids can't be happy with him either.
                                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I bought https://irishacademicpress.ie/produc...and-1969-1980/ and a few by Tim Pat Coogan recently.

Been a long time. The final one I read was A secret history of the IRA by Ed Maloney which was very good. Others that randomly come to mind are Bandit Country by Toby Harnden which focused on South Armagh, The Informer by Sean O'Callaghan, Killing Rage by Eamon Collins, INLA: Deadly Divisions.

Troubles porn tbh.

Comment

Current Garda Commissioner Drew Harris believes that a report from 2015 is still relevant to the current situation. Not a revelation but a pretty overt declaration. Additionally, I suspect he has access to a variety of further information to support those claims plus the original claims were supported by MI5 which is one the most accomplished organisations in the domain.

Hardly much has changed since 2015? He'd hardly support it now if he wasn't still equally, if not more assured than ever.

Text of the report is that “PIRA members *believe* PAC oversees activities of PIRA and SF”. It also went on to say that any structures of the PIRA were fully committed to a democratic process. All Drew Harris said yesterday is that he works with security forces in U.K. and believes any intelligence reports that are out there. So Drew Harris believes in a 2015 report about what anonymous PIRA members believe.

The takeaway of ‘Garda Commissioner says PIRA oversees SF’ is a twist of the situation. And ignores last Garda Commissioner saying they had no evidence of PIRA activity in the south.

If this was a real threat, repudiate the peace process and advocate for SF to be unfit to take power both North and South. But that’s not what FFG politicians or the media are saying, because there is nothing actually here. This is just political point scoring, pure shite.

And, either way, has nothing to do with Housing, health, tax or the climate. Which FFG clearly don’t want to talk about. Keep going, last week’s post election poll clearly shows this isn’t working.
                                                                                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Minozzi or maitland fts, kingholm 2nd ts.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                        Text of the report is that “PIRA members *believe* PAC oversees activities of PIRA and SF”. It also went on to say that any structures of the PIRA were fully committed to a democratic process. All Drew Harris said yesterday is that he works with security forces in U.K. and believes any intelligence reports that are out there. So Drew Harris believes in a 2015 report about what anonymous PIRA members believe.

The takeaway of ‘Garda Commissioner says PIRA oversees SF’ is a twist of the situation. And ignores last Garda Commissioner saying they had no evidence of PIRA activity in the south.

If this was a real threat, repudiate the peace process and advocate for SF to be unfit to take power both North and South. But that’s not what FFG politicians or the media are saying, because there is nothing actually here. This is just political point scoring, pure shite.

And, either way, has nothing to do with Housing, health, tax or the climate. Which FFG clearly don’t want to talk about. Keep going, last week’s post election poll clearly shows this isn’t working.
                                                                                        Do you then believe that the claim of PIRA members that PAC oversees PIRA & SF is incorrect?
                                                                                        That seems to me to be the closest one might get to confirmation of involvement especially in light of MI5 rubber stamping the report.
                                                                                        You were the one who recently claimed how fastidious they are in their counter terrorism operations.
                                                                                        If you aren't convinced SF get their directive from PAC, what would convince you?

On the peace process, as you can see from my post, I never claimed they weren't committed to it.
                                                                                        My primary issue is the structure of SF and the fact that their directives come from a non elected council which is inherently undemocratic.

I just don't quite understand how one can be convinced by PIRA that they're committed to the democratic process and then question the accuracy of where their directives originate when they are group telling you.
                                                                                        Last edited by Guest; 22-02-20, 14:00.

Comment

...

Comment

Been a long time. The final one I read was A secret history of the IRA by Ed Maloney which was very good. Others that randomly come to mind are Bandit Country by Toby Harnden which focused on South Armagh, The Informer by Sean O'Callaghan, Killing Rage by Eamon Collins, INLA: Deadly Divisions.

Troubles porn tbh.
                                                                                            I read Making Sense of the Troubles by David McKrittick recently, it was very good, I'll keep an eye out for those.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                              There still exists a PIRA army council. Sinn Fein are still under it. So you could have the government of a modern democracy answering to an unelected leadership of an illegal organisation.

If you don't see this a fundamental issue of values then perhaps you simply don't share the values of most of us. We are not Northern Ireland, having Sinn Fein in power here is not a necessary evil in transitioning from conflict. We can apply normal values and standards as a normal democracy.

This is more fundamental than the political issues of the day, or party political issues, it's about the very fabric of our democracy.

Comment

...

Comment

A few years ago you made a number of similar remarks here, probably going much further than O'Leary did. These days, with Christain based Far-right terrorism being much more common, I often wonder do you ever look back and think you may have been mistaken.

Comment

There still exists a PIRA army council. Sinn Fein are still under it. So you could have the government of a modern democracy answering to an unelected leadership of an illegal organisation.

If you don't see this a fundamental issue of values then perhaps you simply don't share the values of most of us. We are not Northern Ireland, having Sinn Fein in power here is not a necessary evil in transitioning from conflict. We can apply normal values and standards as a normal democracy.

This is more fundamental than the political issues of the day, or party political issues, it's about the very fabric of our democracy.
                                                                                                    Very well put.

Comment

This book gives some context to that era, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lethal-Alli.../dp/1781171882
                                                                                                      Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                      https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

I had it in my head that Tim Pat Coogan was meant to be a hack no?

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                                                          This book gives some context to that era, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lethal-Alli.../dp/1781171882
                                                                                                          I must admit that I was very ignorant of the era in many ways up until quite recently.
                                                                                                          Obviously it could be just me but I think age is a contributing factor too.
                                                                                                          It's only when you gain an interest that you realise the sheer amount of literature on the topic is incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                            I had it in my head that Tim Pat Coogan was meant to be a hack no?
                                                                                                            I read similar but his primary work "The IRA" which was originally written in 1970 is well regarded. There's been pieces added but the core work remains the same, it is quite pro-Republican though from what I've read.

The only other one I bought was his Long Fellow DeValera book but I believe a few of his more recent offerings have been ridiculed.

I think it sometimes happens with authors.
                                                                                                            Matt Ridley springs to mind, he wrote Genome which is one of the most well regarded books of popular science in history, on the Guns Germs & Steel/Sapiens type level.
                                                                                                            Then his most recent book, the Rational Optimist was completely ridiculed in parts, especially regarding ideas around aid before he went off the deep end regarding Brexit.

Comment

Loving Wales' commitment to writing off a six nations or two to get the offload game mastered, wont happen overnight but you can see a clear vision.
                                                                                                              Profit before people.

Comment

Not taking the 3 points there with the YC will hurt them. They've ruined their sin bin period, given France a huge out.
                                                                                                                5 point deficit with an extra man for first 10 mins of second half was there for free for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                  Not taking the 3 points there with the YC will hurt them. They've ruined their sin bin period, given France a huge out.
                                                                                                                  5 point deficit with an extra man for first 10 mins of second half was there for free for them.
                                                                                                                  Bit aftertimery? Think any sort of analytics would say go for a try in that situation with a man advantage. The fact they made a balls of it is neither here nor there.
                                                                                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

I thought the extra man and using the time before the break made the decision to go for the scrum a better option.

That intercept was a sickener for Wales but you'd still fancy France to contrive some ridiculously outrageous way to blow this lead
                                                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                                      Bit aftertimery? Think any sort of analytics would say go for a try in that situation with a man advantage. The fact they made a balls of it is neither here nor there.
                                                                                                                      Take the 3 points and get 10 full minutes of a man advantage instead of burning 2/3mins on scrum resets would be far preferrable imo.

Conversion rate from 5m scrum is nowhere near 50% which is what it would need to be to make more sense than the kick, even if you completely ignored the impact of the clock burning that it involves on the advantage of the YC.

Comment

Hah! the ref bottled the French's best efforts to give it away.

Don't think he can call a penalty without it being a penalty try as well.
                                                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Great game of rugby.

Dupont & Ntamack are fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X