Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
    Gave Strewel the Bus Pass too.
    Until recently I thought that I had fallen just on the right side of them pushing state pension out to 68 but instead it turns out that I fell on the worst side of it by a few weeks. So there is still ten years to get there and if I manage to last that long in work my contract expires at 65.

Point being with those changes and recent events in RTE I'd advise anyone starting a new job to watch out for and try and get rid of any fixed expiration dates when starting a new job.
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      Michael Martin for smoking ban and Noel Dempsey for plastic bag levy. Both FF.
      And for multiplying the national debt eightfold.

Tough choice I know but I'm gonna say Bad >>>>>> Good here.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

In fairness though lads, I finished college in 2009 - I'm due a party.

Comment

Regarding your earlier point about W2E. Greens kinda emerged in strength from the anti waste-to-energy movement (largely built on pseudo science, while rest of Europe was cleaning up their environments with W2E plants) and it was that which delayed the building for so long. Think it was one of their conditions for going into gov - that the plant would be stopped.
          Roger Garland who was "leader" of the party at the time,
          they had some sort of policy of not having a formal leader but whatever,
          ran in my constituency at the time and got elected on the back of the Nimby vote trying to shoot down the proposed Waste 2 Energy plant at Poolbeg.

Greens then supported the minority FG government and were rewarded with a ministry. The bould Roger got himself shouldered with the Environment portfolio and thus had the final say on green lighting the very development he was elected to stop.

Needless to say he performed some verbal gymnastics before making an angst ridden announcement that he had no choice but to give the proposal his signature.

The Irish Green Party have goals that I broadly support but as a political group their incompetence makes voting for them futile.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Clearly not comparing the two! Just that I specifically remember the hassle that Dempsey went through to get that approved.
              And yet....this is what he will be immortalised for:

Comment

Connacht getting handed 20 fucking million euro of public funding to redevelop their ground is some kind of joke right? Did someone fat finger 2 extra zeroes on to that?

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                  Roger Garland who was "leader" of the party at the time,
                  they had some sort of policy of not having a formal leader but whatever,
                  ran in my constituency at the time and got elected on the back of the Nimby vote trying to shoot down the proposed Waste 2 Energy plant at Poolbeg.

Greens then supported the minority FG government and were rewarded with a ministry. The bould Roger got himself shouldered with the Environment portfolio and thus had the final say on green lighting the very development he was elected to stop.

Needless to say he performed some verbal gymnastics before making an angst ridden announcement that he had no choice but to give the proposal his signature.

The Irish Green Party have goals that I broadly support but as a political group their incompetence makes voting for them futile.
                  That's the weakness of our political system though, it's so hyper-localised and clientilist that the politicians have no choice but to pander to the NIMBYs.

Comment

Good laugh at the Heineken cup (or whatever they call it now) coverage- everyone going out of their way to ignore the fact that it’s not the priority for English and french teams-their national leagues are. It’s like the FA cup to them. Look at the crowds when an Irish team isn’t in the final-empty seats ahoy.
                    Doesn’t fit the narrative here in Ireland so doesn’t get mentioned

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                      Good laugh at the Heineken cup (or whatever they call it now) coverage- everyone going out of their way to ignore the fact that it’s not the priority for English and french teams-their national leagues are. It’s like the FA cup to them. Look at the crowds when an Irish team isn’t in the final-empty seats ahoy.

Doesn’t fit the narrative here in Ireland so doesn’t get mentioned
                      I remember when it was called the Heineken cup, I also remember when trolling involved a certain level of subtlety and originality, simpler times!

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                        I remember when it was called the Heineken cup, I also remember when trolling involved a certain level of subtlety and originality, simpler times!
                        It’s not trolling if it’s true

Comment

It’s not trolling if it’s true
                          Agree.

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                            How was Paris? Cracking game.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                              I taught that was the correct way of spelling it

...Should add, it's half the facebook users saying their kids are angels, but spelling it wrong every fucking time...
                              ...Edit, Dobby just pointed out my stupidity...
                              Last edited by luckforsome; 13-01-20, 22:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                How was Paris? Cracking game.
                                Really enjoyed it have to say, result was frustrating and the final score very annoying but have to admit it's a fair reflection of where we stand right now...no depth and an average to good first 15.

It's a very different experience stadium wise but enjoyable as a fan. Thought we gave it a fair crack but we're just at that level, comparing the subs made is embarrassing. There was a few standout performers but just not enough.

With my tinfoil hat on, and a few pints in me, and also ready for ridicule, but in a stadium like that, how was there only two angles for both TMO'S???

Comment

Fantastically well crafted thread.
                                  Profit before people.

Comment

Connacht getting handed 20 fucking million euro of public funding to redevelop their ground is some kind of joke right? Did someone fat finger 2 extra zeroes on to that?
                                    FairPlay to Shane Ross wouldn’t pay for a stone wall in the children’s hospital. It works out at half a million for each pro player at the club seems a bit hefty.
                                    Last edited by Guest; 14-01-20, 07:07.

Comment

Was scanning some old photos, and thought this might be of interest to anyone with family from Rathfarnham. It's a staff photo from HB in 1955.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                        BBV normally delivers on this type of stuff..

Say in a golf club or similar establishment you will see a board with past captains and what not. Usually some transfer writing updated as required. What exactly is that transfer writing called? How do you print it, where do you source it?
                                        It's usually just vinyl, applied by tape (like you would have put on a fake tattoo as a child)

Edit: Or you can get stick on letters which come out from the board. Google 'honours boards' and you will get the jist

Comment

Holy shit! I last logged in in February 2016!

The dramatic return is because I'm headed to Vegas next month for 5 days (Mon - Fri) with herself. I haven't been there in 6 years, so just wondering where there's good midweek games to play and also any good restaurants and shows to treat ourselves at? (And maybe a few good value places in case the poker doesn't go to plan!!)

Thinking of using one day to go to the Grand Canyon, then spending one night downtown around Fremont St. Rest of the time is pretty free, any other MUST do things?

Also, good to see lots of the same people here!!!

Comment

Looks like Saturday 8th February is election day.
                                            Bit of a kick in the teeth for the school kids & teachers used to getting a day off.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                              Bit of a kick in the teeth for the school kids & teachers used to getting a day off.
                                              I can't wait to hear that complaint when I get home.

Will it impact new voters quite a bit or will something be in place to address that the new register isn't due to be published until after that date, will it be rushed through or will those who are due to be added now have to go on the supplementary list?

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                I can't wait to hear that complaint when I get home.

Will it impact new voters quite a bit or will something be in place to address that the new register isn't due to be published until after that date, will it be rushed through or will those who are due to be added now have to go on the supplementary list?
                                                Once the Dáil is dissolved, which it will be this afternoon, nothing can be passed.

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
                                                  It's usually just vinyl, applied by tape (like you would have put on a fake tattoo as a child)

Edit: Or you can get stick on letters which come out from the board. Google 'honours boards' and you will get the jist
                                                  Was there last Feb, canyon tour and Fremont street the highlight of the trip. Do a landing tour in the canyon, get to walk around and take it all in. Was class. Do the zipline in Fremont street for a few seconds of exhilaration.

Poker, I made a lot of money in the Aria. Seemed to be full of tourists who seemed impressed that they got to play where Helmuth plays. From $150 buy ins on $1/$3 tables I finished up over 2k.

Played the planet Hollywood crapshoot, was good fun if you're needing a quick game with evening plans. Played a game up in Wynn which was good structure and a decent game, few more regs seemed to be around.

Bellagio and Caesars just full of regs and was hard to turn a profit so only played in each once, losing a buy in each time.

Restaurant in the Venetian/Palazzo. Cut. Without doubt, the single greatest meal I've ever had. Everything absolutely faultless.
                                                  Last edited by dobby; 14-01-20, 12:55.

Comment

Originally posted by AdMMM View Post
                                                    Holy shit! I last logged in in February 2016!

The dramatic return is because I'm headed to Vegas next month for 5 days (Mon - Fri) with herself. I haven't been there in 6 years, so just wondering where there's good midweek games to play and also any good restaurants and shows to treat ourselves at? (And maybe a few good value places in case the poker doesn't go to plan!!)

Thinking of using one day to go to the Grand Canyon, then spending one night downtown around Fremont St. Rest of the time is pretty free, any other MUST do things?

Also, good to see lots of the same people here!!!
                                                    Was obviously meant to reply to this post

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                      Was scanning some old photos, and thought this might be of interest to anyone with family from Rathfarnham. It's a staff photo from HB in 1955.
                                                      2nd row 4, 6, front 7,9

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                        Good thing for students etc living away from home i guess?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                          2nd row 4, 6, front 7,9
                                                          Not sure whether to complimented or disturbed that one of your choices is my Ma
                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

You would have to think this will hurt gambling companies. No more degenning on credit.

Or are they all safely offshored and immune from such regs?

Comment

Dammit, never updated the electoral register after we moved. How do I do this in time for 08-Feb?

(Looked online and seems impossible)

Comment

You would have to think this will hurt gambling companies. No more degenning on credit.

I've found that loopholes exist in all of these, for example when this was highlighted once again: https://www.theguardian.com/society/...king-customers
                                                                The document also lays out the option to ban VIP status.

VIP status for UK customers is not referred to as VIP as it is in other regions, other acronyms are used to identify them but the underlying logics remain the same.

Comment

Dammit, never updated the electoral register after we moved. How do I do this in time for 08-Feb?

Me neither going back to Kildare. Bro registered this year so based upon the current GE date he'll miss it unless he joins the supplementary list.

Comment

Those teeth. Must have been the ice cream .

Comment

Comment

Not sure whether to complimented or disturbed that one of your choices is my Ma
                                                                        Winner Winner

Comment

Not going to hurt much, not even close to what the inevitable ban on advertising will do to them.

Comment

Will you not still be on the register from your old address?
                                                                            If you are not you just get yourself put on the supplemental register, which you would have had to do anyway if you had updated as the new register will not be in place in time.
                                                                            Edit : if Hitch is correct and they have done the sensible sensible thing to do

Comment

Not going to hurt much, not even close to what the inevitable ban on advertising will do to them.
                                                                              I'm sure they'll manage to convert a large portion of their important players to wallets or some other method but it will definitely do them damage, all other means require players to have funds, cc obviously doesn't, not to mention the fact PayPal according to the article may follow suit.

Both deposit methods make up a pretty big proportion of most casinos deposit methods in various regions.

Circumventing this will be high on the agenda.

Comment

Will you not still be on the register from your old address?
                                                                                Yes, but no way to access polling cards - your one refused to forward post from Day 1.

Comment

Yes, but no way to access polling cards - your one refused to forward post from Day 1.
                                                                                  You don't need a polling card. I voted in my old constituency last time, just show up with ID where your name will be on the roll.

Comment

Is there not a mail forwarding service from An Post whereby they will automatically redirect all mail from the old address to the new address?

Maybe it's only for business post but thought you could do it with personal stuff as well.

Comment

Wut. Moar details plz/

Comment

I don't think you even need ID officially, but you 100% don't need a polling card. I don't think I've ever had a polling card with me when voting.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                          Wut. Moar details plz/
                                                                                          Agreed. I'm still dropping Christmas Cards to our old crowd and we moved here in 2005!

Is she a bit of a weapon or what??

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post
                                                                                            You don't need a polling card. I voted in my old constituency last time, just show up with ID where your name will be on the roll.
                                                                                            Sound, will do this. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                              Agreed. I'm still dropping Christmas Cards to our old crowd and we moved here in 2005!

Is she a bit of a weapon or what??
                                                                                              A doctor. Say no more.

Comment

...

Comment

We're the wurst.
                                                                                                  Not a fake doctor like you.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                    Is there not a mail forwarding service from An Post whereby they will automatically redirect all mail from the old address to the new address?

Maybe it's only for business post but thought you could do it with personal stuff as well.
                                                                                                    The redirect is woeful... The vast majority don't get redirected and end up being undelivered.
                                                                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Who is it who normally tells us where all the screeners are? A new years resolution is to watch a movie a week up a bit for the previous years average of a movie a year.
                                                                                                          Never heard of a ny resolution to sit on ones ass more!
                                                                                                          R/piracy should cover you if the usuals here don't!
                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Is it still a thing to be really secretive of who you voted for?
                                                                                                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

RUSSIA'S benevolent leader Vladimir Putin has expressed his disinterest in interfering in the upcoming Irish election, despite his obvious interest in destabilising the West. Senior KGB agents, unrivalled in the field of sowing the seeds of …

Comment

You won't say that when you're stuck on a trolley screaming out 'I don't know what a tracker mortgage is'.
                                                                                                                Thanks to that Ad the banks lost a small fortune. A hero of an Ad.
                                                                                                                .

Comment

Thinking of drawing up a list of questions for the GE door steppers to see where they are at. Binary questions with a national flavor to stop them waffling. Not to interested in local nimby stuff, leave that to the local crowd.

Here are a few to give an idea of where I'm coming from.

Do you think nurses are overpaid?

Do you think property values should be reviewed upwards for property tax?

Do you agree with Noel Grealish's that there are too many foreigners sponging off the state?

Do you think the first plan for water charges was a good idea?

Do you support abortion legislation as it stands?

Do you think more public housing is the best was to tackle the housing crisis?

Do you think more funding should be pumped into the health service as it stands? (still working on this one).

Do you think a performance related pay should be brought in for teachers?

Do you think we have a law and order crisis in Ireland?

Do you think the National Broadband Plan is a good investment?

........?
                                                                                                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                                    Is it still a thing to be really secretive of who you voted for?
                                                                                                                    Code:
                                                                                                                    https://youtu.be/43EXz_EUxgY?t=46

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                                      Thinking of drawing up a list of questions for the GE door steppers to see where they are at. Binary questions with a national flavor to stop them waffling. Not to interested in local nimby stuff, leave that to the local crowd.

Here are a few to give an idea of where I'm coming from.

Do you think nurses are overpaid?

Do you think property values should be reviewed upwards for property tax?

Do you agree with Noel Grealish's that there are too many foreigners sponging off the state?

Do you think the first plan for water charges was a good idea?

Do you support abortion legislation as it stands?

Do you think more public housing is the best was to tackle the housing crisis?

Do you think more funding should be pumped into the health service as it stands? (still working on this one).

Do you think a performance related pay should be brought in for teachers?

Do you think we have a law and order crisis in Ireland?

Do you think the National Broadband Plan is a good investment?

........?
                                                                                                                      Yes
                                                                                                                      Yes
                                                                                                                      No (but change to Irish and its Yes)
                                                                                                                      Yes
                                                                                                                      Yes
                                                                                                                      No
                                                                                                                      No
                                                                                                                      No
                                                                                                                      No
                                                                                                                      Yes

I trust I can be assured of your very first preference.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X