Running (up that hill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dobby View Post
    , per Lazares advice to concentrate on running slower for longer I'm going to try and hit 10k for the first time ever this year.
    I was dubious of this but it definitely works. Having run 10km once in 2013, I did ten of them in May slowly and I found my fitness and legs stamina were at different levels after.

,Might enter a race at some point if I feel confident enough as I've never ran one.

For now it's just get generally fitter, lose the belly (again) and hopefully keep it off this time.

Best of luck to everyone else this year.
    Definitely enter at least one race, it’s such a different experience!

Comment

Oh definitely race. It's the best buzz. The endorphin rush afterwards is like nothing else.

I'd recommend the Raheny 5 mile on the 26th of this month. It's a cracking race, my favourite of the year.

Was my first ever race 3 years ago.
      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
        Oh definitely race. It's the best buzz. The endorphin rush afterwards is like nothing else.

I'd recommend the Raheny 5 mile on the 26th of this month. It's a cracking race, my favourite of the year.

Think that's too soon for me at the moment. Also Kerry play Dublin in Dublin on Saturday the 25th so I'd be in no state to go racing the next day lol.

That distance does sound doable though, what's that about 8k? Will keep an eye out for similar.

Comment

It's bang on 8k.

It's a great distance.

Comment

There's another one in May, the Terenure 5.

Try a 5k race then to get you going, it's just there's not that many of them for a while.

Comment

Think that's too soon for me at the moment. Also Kerry play Dublin in Dublin on Saturday the 25th so I'd be in no state to go racing the next day lol.

That distance does sound doable though, what's that about 8k? Will keep an eye out for similar.
              Have you done a park run yet?

Comment

Ooh I might give that a go myself, it’ll be a nice end to the month of running.

Comment

So you have to run 4:45/km to finish in the top 1000! And if you ran sub 4mins Kim’s you’d get 400th! Ffs that’s some standard!!

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                    Have you done a park run yet?
                    Yeah, killarney once about 5 or 6 years ago. Unbelievable course with amazing views as you run.

Not a fan of the early starts tbh. Up at 6am Monday to Friday for work, Saturday and Sunday are my no alarm days.

Comment

Yeah, killarney once about 5 or 6 years ago. Unbelievable course with amazing views as you run.

Not a fan of the early starts tbh. Up at 6am Monday to Friday for work, Saturday and Sunday are my no alarm days.
                      Yeah I know that feeling, though 9 always felt like a sleep in when I was up at 6. It’s worth trying to do once a month though, a great buzz.

Comment

I did my first and second park runs over the break - Christmas morning in Tralee and on the 28th on Inch beach. I thought they were terrific. The difference it makes to be part of an organised event versus just going out yourself is massive for me mentally.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                          I did my first and second park runs over the break - Christmas morning in Tralee and on the 28th on Inch beach. I thought they were terrific. The difference it makes to be part of an organised event versus just going out yourself is massive for me mentally.
                          I find it really hard to pace as you just want to keep up with people around you! Good fun though

Comment

I find it really hard to pace as you just want to keep up with people around you! Good fun though
                            Ah yeah I was doing them with herself very much at my ease so this wasn't an issue for me.

Code:
                            25 min 5k
                            This goal very nearly failed to make the first weekend of the new year as I ran an agonisingly close 25:17 this evening

I was stopped waiting to cross the road for a good 20 seconds in the last km so possibly I would have made it otherwise, although I was fairly at the pin of my collar. I'll easily make that speed in the next week or two barring injury I think.

Comment

second park runs on Inch beach. I
                              You have absolutely no idea how jealous I am of you right now. What a fucking spot. I'm going to assume it was absolutely spectacular.

On a not completely unrelated note. I was chatting to a mate of mine here in Meath and we decided to go to the Kerry v Meath game in Killarney next month. He loves trail running and doing iron man comps etc etc. I got to telling him about my favourite hike up torc mountain so we came up with the idea to do it at night time which should be class. Really looking forward to it.

Comment

You have absolutely no idea how jealous I am of you right now. What a fucking spot. I'm going to assume it was absolutely spectacular.

On a not completely unrelated note. I was chatting to a mate of mine here in Meath and we decided to go to the Kerry v Meath game in Killarney next month. He loves trail running and doing iron man comps etc etc. I got to telling him about my favourite hike up torc mountain so we came up with the idea to do it at night time which should be class. Really looking forward to it.
                                Unfortunately it was a bit cloudy on the day so the view wasn't all it could have been. I'll have to get back there again soon, spent a lot of time there one summer in particular and it is a nice beach although we're blessed with those in Kerry.

Rossbeigh, Couminole, the Maherees etc.

Comment

Hey when is that Waterford half marathon again guys? That might be a nice one to add to the goals list.

Comment

I’d be inclined to go to donegal v kerry on the 22nd March if you’re around. Though getting there for a Saturday morning would be tough, so it’d rule out a park run.

Comment

I’d be inclined to go to donegal v kerry on the 22nd March if you’re around. Though getting there for a Saturday morning would be tough, so it’d rule out a park run.
                                      Yeah I'll be at that also. I'll be going home to stay at the parents on Saturday night. Few pints and the €25 crapshoot in the GAA club and off to the game and home on Sunday. Have the season ticket this season so be at all the games now.

Comment

Are you one of our own as well? Did I know this already and have forgotten?

Comment

Are you one of our own as well? Did I know this already and have forgotten?
                                          My memory is usually 100% on these things.

He is a fellow culchie but a Donegal one .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                            My memory is usually 100% on these things.

He is a fellow culchie but a Donegal one .
                                            Correct!

Comment

Ok, as I just stumped up for a bike that's going to end up costing me around 3 grand I am going to have to revise one of the goals

It's an absurd amount to spend on a bike in fairness but on the other hand it is fucking sexual

2020 Goals
                                              Code:
                                              750km run (~2k per day)
                                              adare 10k
                                              great limerick 10k
                                              connemarathon 21k
                                              25 min 5k
                                              20 parkruns by eoy 

4000km cycling (~40k per week in shit 6 months, ~120 per week in decent 6 months)
                                              westportif
                                              ring of beara
                                              ring of kerry
                                              ring of clare/tour de burren
                                              bad craic hill pb

triathlon
                                              one sprint
                                              one olympic

60 books

kick cigarettes
                                              reduce booze intake

see 68.xx on scale
                                              get back into good sleep routine

Comment

Ok, as I just stumped up for a bike that's going to end up costing me around 3 grand I am going to have to revise one of the goals

It's an absurd amount to spend on a bike in fairness but on the other hand it is fucking sexual

2020 Goals
                                                Code:
                                                750km run (~2k per day)
                                                adare 10k
                                                great limerick 10k
                                                connemarathon 21k
                                                25 min 5k
                                                20 parkruns by eoy 

4000km cycling (~40k per week in shit 6 months, ~120 per week in decent 6 months)
                                                westportif
                                                ring of beara
                                                ring of kerry
                                                ring of clare/tour de burren
                                                bad craic hill pb

triathlon
                                                one sprint
                                                one olympic

60 books

kick cigarettes
                                                reduce booze intake

see 68.xx on scale
                                                get back into good sleep routine
                                                I hope you name your bike 'the Cluxton66' after all he's done for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                  I hope you name your bike 'the Cluxton66' after all he's done for you.
                                                  I have about as much positive feeling for him as I can stomach. Word I hear has him packing it in actually.

Comment

For the uninitiated, what makes the bike so good? Is there more to it than lightness/slickness of gears/aerodynamics?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                      For the uninitiated, what makes the bike so good? Is there more to it than lightness/slickness of gears/aerodynamics?
                                                      It's new and shiny and Keane has lots of disposable income.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                        It's basically the things you mention - really neat aero frame, excellent components and light.

If you think of all the mechanical components in a bike and imagine the difference it would make to cost and performance if you used the cheapest version of every one of them, versus the cost and performance of using close to the top end of every one you can imagine the difference.

I rented a really nice bike in roughly this price bracket (Bianchi Aria ultegra) when I was doing the triathlon in Barcelona a couple of months ago and it was just an unreal experience - you really feel like every ounce of effort you are putting into turning the pedals is being converted into forward motion.

It's all the above and then just as dobby says it's new and it's gorgeous and I have the readies. Someone asked me at a wedding at Christmas what was the wildest thing I did after winning that big bet and I said 'paid off the loan on my brown estate car*' so I fancy putting that right

(* bought an estate for ease of transporting bikes )

Comment

Goals for 2020:

1000 miles/1600km(actually track it this year, I changed watch from Fitbit to Garmin half way and lost some details)

3.40 marathon in Dublin
                                                          1.15 for 10mile - currently 1.22
                                                          >21 min 5k - 22.30 is my best so far but I've only done 4 5k races flat out
                                                          A triathlon in maybe June

Between 3 weeks in Bahamas in Nov, Christmas silly season and the flu I've been very lax about running since Dublin in October. A few of my group were thinking of a spring marathon with Manchester being touted. We met on Saturday morning to discuss and while they were talking I was on my phone booking it Literally made the decision for all of us😂 I needed something to get me back into it. Exactly 12 weeks to go time.

Have no plan yet, but I'm planning on making one out tomorrow. I never made one for Dublin and ended up in Norway on the beer for 10 days like 8 weeks before Dublin so I should be grand this time. Going to start with 13 miles this Saturday

So far my thinking is just to beat my Dublin 3.56 and be in good shape to have an absolute bash off Waterford one in June

A few of my group dabbled in triathlons last year and have convinced me to give them a go too. I just changed gym to one with a pool to try and get my swimming up to scratch. Absolutely brutal at the minute

Weight wise I'm at 93kg at 6 foot tall, up from 89kg in October but I did hit 97kg at end of November so going the right direction again🍔🍺 Eating a lot better to be honest and hoping to hit 85kg. 19% body fat too but most of it around the gut🤦*♂️
                                                          Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

FWIW I couldn't do more than two lengths of a 20m pool at a time (i.e. 40m) when I started training a few months ago, but I found within a couple of weeks of probably two or three times a week on average I was able to build up to 800m-1000m quite easily.

A big thing for me was figuring out that you're meant to breath every second stroke (i.e. every time your right arm goes up, say). I was trying to go as many strokes as I could without a breath which was counterproductive. Another thing that was important for me was to go really slowly, each stroke borderline lazy. That allows you more time to get a really good breath of air in and prevents gassing.

Also, obviously, the sea is a different beast compared to the pool. It's actually way more enjoyable to swim in the sea once you get used to it but for me my first time I was very close to panic and thinking I was going to drown even though I could do the distance easily in the pool, so worth getting into the sea as soon as you can just to acclimatise.

Comment

Keane that swimming realisation is key all right. Even in my 20s I'd gas after 100/200m. Similar. Bad breathing technique.

In other news ran a painfully slow 3k just there . The icy wind cutting the back of my throat and the after efftects of the wrong food earlier . However my lower back pain has gone and my lead heavy legs feel like your new bike frame. Funny ol game this jogging lark .

Comment

I tried yesterday to do some lengths of a 25m pool and I could barely muster 1 Lot of work needed I'd say. Nice jacuzzi though if I give up
                                                                Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

FWIW I couldn't do more than two lengths of a 20m pool at a time ...
                                                                  A big thing for me was figuring out that you're meant to breath every second stroke (i.e. every time your right arm goes up, say).
                                                                  Ideally you will also be able to breathe bilaterally on the odd stroke 3 6 9 etc.
                                                                  Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                                                                  I tried yesterday to do some lengths of a 25m pool and I could barely muster
                                                                  Swimming is great for fitness and training tho know that you can go the distance but if you want to be able to the kind of tri times that match your run abnd bike times you need to realise that it is all about technique.
                                                                  Lessons and hours drills are the only way to build those tiny modifications.

Loads of good pointers available from your local tri club.
                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                    Ideally you will also be able to breathe bilaterally on the odd stroke 3 6 9 etc.
                                                                    I saw a good video on Youtube which was making the point that in the sea conditions will often dictate that breathing is much more doable/comfortable on one side than the other depending on tides etc.

The advice therefore was to practise breathing under either arm on alternating lengths, i.e. breath under your right arm every stroke on the way up the pool and under your left every stroke on the way back.

Is there an upside to breathing on the odd strokes beyond learning to alternate sides?

Comment

Is there an upside to breathing on the odd strokes beyond learning to alternate sides?
                                                                      The less breaths you take the more time you are long and straight in the water.
                                                                      Even with a really nice shape and stroke lifting your head out of the water to breathe is effectively putting the brakes on.

I've a terrible shape and stroke but I can breathe bilaterally through a 1500M swim in as long as I'm going really slow steady training pace. The moment I try to go fast (thats to say my fast which is very much back of pack) and 100% of the time in open water I'm breathing every stroke and only on my favoured side unless conditions are forcing me onto the wrong side.

Its a matter of whether you are happy to be able to complete the distance or are willing to put the substantial time and effort it takes into perfecting techniques. Bad habits are very strongly imprinted and overcoming them is hard work.
                                                                      Its quite like golf where the better you were taught at the start the easier it is to be 'natural'.

Comment

Need some tech help please.

Have avoided getting a Fitbit up to now as I dont see the point in them when strava does all the same stuff with zero hassle and I have my phone on me 99% of the time.

So, the missus arrived home during the week with a poxy Fitbit cos shes on a health kick and thinks its class. Anyway, I'm just in from my run and, stupidly, didnt bring my phone to record it to strava.

If you're still with me. My question is, how do I get the run to show up on my strava cos I dont want to tell her it's a load of bollox after she spent money on it. Thanks.

I can see it in the Fitbit app but that's no good for me. Myself and a few lads have everything set up on strava so we can keep an eye on each other and give a bit of encouragement etc etc.

Comment

You can probably find something in either the Strava app or fitbit app to connect the one to the other. The watch should definitely be able to automatically upload activities to strava

Comment

You can probably find something in either the Strava app or fitbit app to connect the one to the other. The watch should definitely be able to automatically upload activities to strava
                                                                            Yeah have them both connected and synced and still nowt showing up on either

Comment

10k today. Think uphill and into a fresh wind is the most enjoyable running conditions . Face was like a slapped arse after but felt great . Bring on Brendan or whatever his name is.

Comment

It's basically the things you mention - really neat aero frame, excellent components and light.

If you think of all the mechanical components in a bike and imagine the difference it would make to cost and performance if you used the cheapest version of every one of them, versus the cost and performance of using close to the top end of every one you can imagine the difference.

I rented a really nice bike in roughly this price bracket (Bianchi Aria ultegra) when I was doing the triathlon in Barcelona a couple of months ago and it was just an unreal experience - you really feel like every ounce of effort you are putting into turning the pedals is being converted into forward motion.

It's all the above and then just as dobby says it's new and it's gorgeous and I have the readies. Someone asked me at a wedding at Christmas what was the wildest thing I did after winning that big bet and I said 'paid off the loan on my brown estate car*' so I fancy putting that right

(* bought an estate for ease of transporting bikes )
                                                                                I was told by someone that takes cycling seriously the difference between a €1k bike and a €5k bike is about half a water bottle in weight! Went for the €1k one then!

Have avoided getting a Fitbit up to now as I dont see the point in them when strava does all the same stuff with zero hassle and I have my phone on me 99% of the time.

So, the missus arrived home during the week with a poxy Fitbit cos shes on a health kick and thinks its class. Anyway, I'm just in from my run and, stupidly, didnt bring my phone to record it to strava.

If you're still with me. My question is, how do I get the run to show up on my strava cos I dont want to tell her it's a load of bollox after she spent money on it. Thanks.

I can see it in the Fitbit app but that's no good for me. Myself and a few lads have everything set up on strava so we can keep an eye on each other and give a bit of encouragement etc etc.
                                                                                You’re out of luck. For your Fitbit to work with strava you need to have your phone with you. It’s got “assisted GPS” which means it uses your phone to track it but it’s useless without it. You’ll get heart rate info etc but no map or splits.
                                                                                When I used the Fitbit I bought an arm holder for my phone and it was very handy then.

Comment

Trying to keep up my 100km January and went for a run whilst out in Chicago during the week as I was told a run along the lake was pretty spectacular. Went out at 6am and knew it was due to be about 3-4C, but for whatever reason I couldn’t get warm in my shorts and T-shirt. Got back to the hotel after a 5km, and checked, it was actually -9! It will definitely be the coldest I ever run in !
                                                                                  Last edited by Goodluck2me; 13-01-20, 15:59.

Comment

Cheers for that. Was hoping that wasnt the case. Will just go back to what I've been doing for 6 years and keep my phone with me bloody women

Comment

I was told by someone that takes cycling seriously the difference between a €1k bike and a €5k bike is about half a water bottle in weight! Went for the €1k one then!
                                                                                      In this case it's probably a bit more than that but that's mostly because the other bike has disc brakes, which are heavier but excellent. The science apparently says the aerodynamics of the frame are a good bit more important than the weight and as it happens an aero frame actually tends to weigh more than a regular one - more material to make the funny shaped tubes.

Nevertheless I suspect what you are getting at is 100% true in that there's absolutely no need for a plodder like me to be pricking around with a superbike and nothing is going to make the difference that losing half a stone of Christmas bloat will!

Comment

Shit, sorry. I told you it would sync. Bit ridiculous that it doesn't.

Ask the missus would she mind you swapping it for a Garmin.

Comment

Shit, sorry. I told you it would sync. Bit ridiculous that it doesn't.

Ask the missus would she mind you swapping it for a Garmin.
                                                                                          Ah no, obvs not your fault

I went with the aul chestnut of telling her it's my fault, I'm technophobe and an idiot, the piece of kit is perfect etc etc but I just dont think its for me. She said she will try and return it and if she cant I'll just pay her so shes not out of pocket and it will get thrown in "the press".

Anyway, back onto strava today with the phone and a slow and steady 10k in 58minutes. Feel good after it especially since I was out last night and started drinking cans when I got home to watch the NFL so very happy to even get out

Comment

@Goodluck2me, I see you got a hike around Lough Tay in this morning. I've wanted to do it for ages but have never done the route so slightly reluctant to head down, its almost an hour away from me.

Is there a trail to follow right the way round? I'd be going alone so if there's a trail or railway sleepers to follow, it would be ideal.

Comment

Boredom is a terrible thing.

Having a look for races online and what not. Find out theres a 10k up in the Gap Of Dunloe, just outside Killarney, the same weekend I am there for a GAA match. Race at 9am, match on the afternoon.

I immediately regret this decision but signed up for it now with a mate so will do it anyway.

Comment

@Goodluck2me, I see you got a hike around Lough Tay in this morning. I've wanted to do it for ages but have never done the route so slightly reluctant to head down, its almost an hour away from me.

Is there a trail to follow right the way round? I'd be going alone so if there's a trail or railway sleepers to follow, it would be ideal.
                                                                                                Yeah there is a well worn track all the way up to the top which is 3.7km up, we then went back a different way which is less obvious, with people who knew where they were going, even then the river crossing near the end was flooded so we lifted the trousers and braved the cold water. It’s stunning scenery though and well worth it, even for the summit and back the same way.
                                                                                                Bring boots if possible as it’s quite mucky, I wore runners and slipped a good bit.

Comment

Getting obsessed with the new HRM, very interested to see I ran 22mins for a park run PB a few weeks back at 150 average, went out on Saturday with a touch of jet lag and ran 24mins at 165 average. Was truly shattered after it.
                                                                                                  Will definitely make more use of it going forward I think.

Comment

Phisyo advice wanted

Went over on my ankle last night and it feels like it's ever so slightly sprained. No real swelling but maybe showing a hint of bruising on the inside , on a scale of 1 to 10 it feels about 1.5 when I'm resting and 2 when I walk on it

Didn't ice it but I did elevate it, rest a bit, put on a compression sock and took an anti inflammatory tablet (more for my shoulder which was already in trouble before I landed on it) last night.
                                                                                                    I want to be able to run again by Monday but the question is whether I would be better resting or going for a walk today?

Comment

Based purely on guesswork, surely resting?

Comment

@Laz - what sort of time commitment would you be looking at to get gait analysis and order a pair of runners in that Amphibian King place?

Comment

Also, what would be the most accessible parkrun from the middle of Ranelagh village could anyone tell me? Thought there would be one in Herbert Park but doesn't seem to be.

Comment

Might watch for a change .

Kenenisa Bekele - the second-fastest marathon runner of all-time - will take on world record holder Eliud Kipchoge in at April's London Marathon.

Comment

@Laz - what sort of time commitment would you be looking at to get gait analysis and order a pair of runners in that Amphibian King place?
                                                                                                              About 30 mins or so. They can be busy on Saturdays you could possibly add 10 mins on to that. Well worth it.

Comment

Also, what would be the most accessible parkrun from the middle of Ranelagh village could anyone tell me? Thought there would be one in Herbert Park but doesn't seem to be.
                                                                                                                I would think Bushy Park would be the closest. Marlay gets great numbers.

Comment

Based purely on guesswork, surely resting?
                                                                                                                  Yeah, I agree. The whole RICE thing has been debunked. Personally I think it's best to let the body repair it, with bruising and/or swelling. Resting until there's zero pain.

Comment

Getting obsessed with the new HRM, very interested to see I ran 22mins for a park run PB a few weeks back at 150 average, went out on Saturday with a touch of jet lag and ran 24mins at 165 average. Was truly shattered after it.
                                                                                                                    Will definitely make more use of it going forward I think.
                                                                                                                    Me too. Are you getting any tests done to get your max?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                      Phisyo advice wanted

Went over on my ankle last night and it feels like it's ever so slightly sprained. No real swelling but maybe showing a hint of bruising on the inside , on a scale of 1 to 10 it feels about 1.5 when I'm resting and 2 when I walk on it

Didn't ice it but I did elevate it, rest a bit, put on a compression sock and took an anti inflammatory tablet (more for my shoulder which was already in trouble before I landed on it) last night.
                                                                                                                      I want to be able to run again by Monday but the question is whether I would be better resting or going for a walk today?
                                                                                                                      Shocked you don't know the answer to this .

Comment

About 30 mins or so. They can be busy on Saturdays you could possibly add 10 mins on to that. Well worth it.
                                                                                                                        How much are you looking at for a pair of runners?
                                                                                                                        Presume the do the analysis in both stores?
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Keane; 17-01-20, 18:04.

Comment

How much are you looking at for a pair of runners?
                                                                                                                          I'd budget in and around €135.

It's a great store, the advice you get each time is well worth the bricks and mortar premium imo.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X