Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
    Anyone got a rec for a good Fish Monger? Or even online Fish monger

Brutal ones near me in South Dublin.
    Cavistons is great!

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
      Anyone got a rec for a good Fish Monger? Or even online Fish monger

Brutal ones near me in South Dublin.
      Kish fish in Smithfield is good. I think there's another one of them somewhere else. They have a website anyway if you google
      airport, lol

Comment

Finally had an angiogram done today. General agreement that the arteries in my heart are too fucked to benefit from stents or whatnot. They literally said I must have had at least 2 heart attacks in the last few weeks. Bypass surgery lined up for Friday. Should be some craic.
        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
          Finally had an angiogram done today. General agreement that the arteries in my heart are too fucked to benefit from stents or whatnot. They literally said I must have had at least 2 heart attacks in the last few weeks. Bypass surgery lined up for Friday. Should be some craic.
          Best of luck Colliebit daunting to be fair. These guys do it everyday though. Know a man older than yourself who had a quadruple done last year tweak of lifestyle and he’s flying looks great.

Comment

Be grand, get some good painkillers. Make sure to overegg the pain.

Comment

Rather successful manufacture of pancakes this evening (Mrs DIII in Waaaaaherford on biznis). Quite impressed although I do seem to have enough batter left over to feed a rugby team.
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                Kish fish in Smithfield is good. I think there's another one of them somewhere else. They have a website anyway if you google
                There's one in Coolock too.
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Juve Spurs some game so far. CL knockouts delivering already

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                    I foolishly volunteered to cook a Valentines dinner tomorrow.

I have duck, beans and puy lentils.

How does one make puy lentils tasty?
                    Butter and wine?
                    I've used a Jamie Oliver version before which was delish. Details below

Boil the lentils until they are tender. Drain away most of the water and season with salt, pepper, lemon juice and 4 good lugs of olive oil. Stir in a few handfuls of mixed chopped herbs (flat leaf parsley, basil and mint) and a few handfuls of spinach until wilted. Serve with a dollop of lightly seasoned yogurt on top

Comment

Stepfather had quadruple 30 years ago. Still going strong at 80+ . Might have to strangle the fecker.

Good luck with recovery.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Jaysus scary stuff. Good luck collie. You'll be fine!!
                          Her sky-ness
                          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                            Juve Spurs some game so far. CL knockouts delivering already
                            Another for Spurs and its more or less game over. Great game..

Comment

That drone is amazing technology.

Recently emptied my room for painting and now that its empty and ready to be repopulated I am having to assess what is going go back in.
                              I guess there is somewhere between 70 and 90 Metres of shelves that were stuffed full with what is now redundant media. Books, CD's , vinyl LP's, VCR tapes and the bits of technology that played them are all just dust gatherers and are now all available between the phone in my pocket and a couple of hard drives.
                              Will probably just put back the more decorative half of the books and dump all the rest.
                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                Nothing to worry about if you're doing nothing wrong. Self-flying drone that can track you.

That would be a game changer for the military.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                  That drone is amazing technology.

Recently emptied my room for painting and now that its empty and ready to be repopulated I am having to assess what is going go back in.
                                  I guess there is somewhere between 70 and 90 Metres of shelves that were stuffed full with what is now redundant media. Books, CD's , vinyl LP's, VCR tapes and the bits of technology that played them are all just dust gatherers and are now all available between the phone in my pocket and a couple of hard drives.
                                  Will probably just put back the more decorative half of the books and dump all the rest.
                                  I kept reading in anticipation of how a drone gave you omnipotent power over your bedroom redecorations.
                                  I won't lie to you, I'm disappointed.

Comment

vinyl LP's... keep the books... dump all the rest.
                                    Say what now?

You were around for the 60s beat revolution right? Summer of love and all that.

Gotta be some nice first pressings in there surely (Gold label Please Please Me perchance? the holy grail of Christy's Paddy on the Road maybe?)

I'm sure it's not all Saturday Night Fever, Bagatelle and Top of the Pops compilations.

Comment

Sex robots on channel 4.

Comment

That's cameramen done for anyhow

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                          Say what now?

Gotta be some nice first pressings in there surely (Gold label Please Please Me perchance? the holy grail of Christy's Paddy on the Road maybe?)

I'm sure it's not all Saturday Night Fever, Bagatelle and Top of the Pops compilations.
                                          I grew up in a record shop and have lots of leftovers that never sold but I'd say I've feck all of any great value, lots of interesting ish 70's and 80's stuff. probably a few Irish first pressings like the original stories for boys and lots from the much better bands they were copying like DC Nein and the likes - definitely no bagatelle or BeeGees but I think I might actually have a sixties totp orchestral covers LP. Anyway I'm so not into the vinyl fetish I havwill probably just keep a few of the ones with sentimental value.

Comment

Can I have the "Saturday Night Fever" if you're throwing it out ?

Comment

All the puritans pushing for increased alcohol prices and warning labels should read this article. It really is excellent on why AA and a lot of alcohol rehab programs administered by people who got their qualifications collecting tokens off crisp packets (which you are most likely to be directed to in this country also) are a load of BS and are inexplicably pushed over other non abstinence based methods with scientifically proven higher success rates
                                              Its faith-based 12-step program dominates treatment in the United States. But researchers have debunked central tenets of AA doctrine and found dozens of other treatments more effective.

A meticulous analysis of treatments, published more than a decade ago in The Handbook of Alcoholism Treatment Approaches but still considered one of the most comprehensive comparisons, ranks AA 38th out of 48 method

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                That was an enjoyable read. Don’t believe a lot off the stuff from Facebook insiders about Zuck being burdened though,he’s an Android

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                  All the puritans pushing for increased alcohol prices and warning labels should read this article. It really is excellent on why AA and a lot of alcohol rehab programs administered by people who got their qualifications collecting tokens off crisp packets (which you are most likely to be directed to in this country also) are a load of BS and are inexplicably pushed over other non abstinence based methods with scientifically proven higher success rates
                                                  Its faith-based 12-step program dominates treatment in the United States. But researchers have debunked central tenets of AA doctrine and found dozens of other treatments more effective.

A meticulous analysis of treatments, published more than a decade ago in The Handbook of Alcoholism Treatment Approaches but still considered one of the most comprehensive comparisons, ranks AA 38th out of 48 method
                                                  What has any of that got to do with minimum unit pricing?

Comment

What has any of that got to do with minimum unit pricing?
                                                    It all comes from the same place, AA advocates have a lot of sway on anti alcohol policy in Ireland. There is also the same aversion to using medication, this feeling people should suffer

Comment

Marc Macsharry is not the full shilling. Sat next to Danny Healy Rae on Matt cooper TV3, now,producers obv hoping for more sparks

Comment

Danny is box office

Comment

It all comes from the same place,
                                                          You couldn't be more wrong, minimum unit pricing is coming from medical professionals and is based on sound rational research.
                                                          It's possible it won't work as well as the theory but if it has a small part of the effect they are hoping for it will be well worthwhile. Stop moaning and making completely wrong headed assumptions about the motivations behind it , relax and give it a chance to work, it's not going to affect you in the least bit.

Comment

You couldn't be more wrong, minimum unit pricing is coming from medical professionals and is based on sound rational research.
                                                            It's possible it won't work as well as the theory but if it has a small part of the effect they are hoping for it will be well worthwhile. Stop moaning and making completely wrong headed assumptions about the motivations behind it , relax and give it a chance to work, it's not going to affect you in the least bit.
                                                            Who is it targeting though? Alcos are gonna alco,esp if abstinence based puritanical nonsense like AA is pushed as the alternative.Alcohol consumption is dropping organically anyway (personal I think some of this is due to technology and the death of boredom) .true this round won’t affect me but what’s gonna be next? Some of these lads would love to give prohibition another crack

Comment

Quorn ads really capture the blandness and grimness of the product being advertised.kudos to the agency involved
                                                              Last edited by Guest; 14-02-18, 00:03.

Comment

Quorum ads really capture the blandness and grimness of the product being advertised.kudos to the agency involved
                                                                Quorn ads make me want to punch Jamie Oliver and I'm pretty sure he doesn't advertise them?

Comment

Quorn ads really capture the blandness and grimness of the product being advertised.kudos to the agency involved
                                                                  The sausage pattys are luvverly in boxty with bacon lettuce and tomato. Seems wrong obv with bacon but they like half a syn on sw
                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

4 March will be a big day in Europe. Outcome of the German coalition vote and the Italian general election.

Comment

Bitcoin question

Any of you folks that dabble in Bitcoin ever sign up with Kraken?

Having issues with creating an account if anyone has used them.

Edit: Issues with the internet causing a problem. Got it sorted anyway!
                                                                      Last edited by MrsFlushdraw; 14-02-18, 09:41.

Comment

Appeal to authority (and an authority in the wrong subject, nobody doubts that reducing alcohol consumption will be beneficial - HOW that reduction comes about is not part of the medical practices' research)

Appeal to irrational belief and diminishing of rational critique.

You are getting very very Trumpy these days. You may have different goals, but you're using his formation and tactics.

Comment

Vintners and supermarkets are the main lobbyists

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                            Appeal to authority (and an authority in the wrong subject, nobody doubts that reducing alcohol consumption will be beneficial - HOW that reduction comes about is not part of the medical practices' research)
                                                                            Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                            Vintners and supermarkets are the main lobbyists
                                                                            Rosanna O’Connor, director of alcohol, drugs and tobacco at Public Health England (PHE) said: “Around 4.4% of the population are drinking just under a third of the alcohol consumed in this country. That’s around 2 million drinking just over 30% of the alcohol.”

A three-litre bottle of cider containing 22.5 units of alcohol can be bought for as little as £3.60. If the 50p minimum unit price were to be introduced, the costs would jump to £11.

O’Connor said: “The result would be a significant impact on a small group of people. That’s why it’s such a targeted policy for such great health gains.”
                                                                            Prof Nick Sheron of the University of Southampton, who also runs the liver unit at Southampton general hospital.

He said: “My patients with alcohol-related cirrhosis, their average consumption is 120 units a week. That’s the median, the mean is higher – it’s 150.

“A typical Frosty Jack’s drinker would be drinking about 16 litres a week and they would be paying about £20 for it – now that would go up three-fold, they’d be paying about £70 for it.”
                                                                            I understand that the extreme Libertarians would much rather these people just went ahead and killed themselves quickly and got out of their faces, anything to avoid having to look poverty and desperation in the eye. This is an attempt at implementing a targeted health measure that has a very good chance of succeeding and your arguments against it are a mixture of ideological bluster and downright nonsense.
                                                                            Lots of research and some experiments have been done, it has yet to be trialled on the scale that it will be in the UK. The Alcohol industry are not the ones driving this measure but they are onboard with it, sure its an easy way for them to claim corporate responsibility that deflects from more sinister practices like marketing to children.
                                                                            Come back to me after its been running a few years and if it is a failure then so be it we can try something else but sitting back and doing nothing is criminal neglect.

Comment

Apropos of nothing...

Comment

Increase excise duty so that you get the minimum pricing anyway with the added advantage of increased revenue to the state at all price points.

Yes, I know we've made this point many many times.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                  Increase excise duty so that you get the minimum pricing anyway with the added advantage of increased revenue to the state at all price points.

Yes, I know we've made this point many many times.
                                                                                  Let's call a spade a spade, this is corporate welfare masquerading (weakly) as a public health initiative.

The drive of winos into petty crime in order to pay the extra €8 for the cider that they absolutely won't stop drinking is utterly inevitable. It could scarcely be any clearer that this will be a disaster for the 4.4% of the population Strewel mentions.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                    Let's call a spade a spade, this is corporate welfare masquerading (weakly) as a public health initiative.

The drive of winos into petty crime in order to pay the extra €8 for the cider that they absolutely won't stop drinking is utterly inevitable. It could scarcely be any clearer that this will be a disaster for the 4.4% of the population Strewel mentions.
                                                                                    Seriously, you have absolutely no clue about the lives of the people this measure is aimed at helping.
                                                                                    Trite sloganeering about corporate welfare is certainly not going to do anything and as for it being a disaster for them, how fucking clueless would you have to be not to realise that there is no more disastrous than life already is for them.

Comment

Seriously, you have absolutely no clue about the lives of the people this measure is aimed at helping.
                                                                                      Trite sloganeering about corporate welfare is certainly not going to do anything and as for it being a disaster for them, how fucking clueless would you have to be not to realise that there is no more disastrous than life already is for them.
                                                                                      I'm not an expert on alcoholism but I don't think having minimum pricing will solve the real problems.

An extra few cent on the really cheap shite may help average Joe cut down on what they drink on a weekly basis, maybe they'll only get 6 cans rather than 8 or 4 rather than 6 which can only be a good thing overall but I really just can't see how this will solve the issue of people who are full blown alcoholics. These people will get their hands on drink, no matter what the price. I see this happening week in and week out

Comment

If they're so heavily addicted why do you think this will stop them? Do you not think it's far more likely that they'll find substitutes and make sacrifices elsewhere so that supermarkets make an extra 1.5m a week?

Comment

You literally just thanked a post that essentially proves this is corporate welfare. A tax could have been applied to achieve the exact same effect, and for some reason nobody can seem to articulate the government instead are giving the money to large corporations. I genuinely haven't heard even a bad argument in favour of this particular implementation, you can ignore it if you please.

I think you are just miles off on this subject and are allowing a personal animus towards alcohol convince you that any attempts to curb its consumption or availability are a priori good things. This was strongly suggested by your very weak attempts to avoid applying the same arguments to vices you personally partake in when they were brought up by Dom the last time this came up. Funnily enough IIRC, corporate welfare of bookies was actually one of the central planks of your argument.

As to the life of addicts - the world is lately awash with examples of where offering clean, safe, controlled environments to addicts to ease their cravings is having very positive impacts. It is even easier to find a multitude of cases in which constricting supply and forcing people into criminality to feed their addiction has utterly ruinous consequences for both the addicts and their communities.

I find your naivety about life being as bad as it gets for winos in Ireland today hard to believe - again I think this points to an animus that says 'there's no worse addict than an alcoholic', for whatever reason.

Comment

I genuinely haven't heard even a bad argument in favour of this particular implementation.
                                                                                            The only real argument is the tourism one.
                                                                                            A sizeable increase in excise duty would indirectly lead to increases in hotel bed prices, nightclubs, tour prices, hospitality, corporate events, all-in holidays, premium events like Guinness storehouse.
                                                                                            Using MUP instead prevents this.

Comment

A sizeable increase in excise duty would indirectly lead to increases in hotel bed prices, nightclubs, tour prices, hospitality, corporate events, all-in holidays, premium events like Guinness storehouse.
                                                                                              So it's either corporate welfare or corporate welfare.

Comment

Tax credits to everything that we want to protect would sort this out pretty easily.

The actual implementation of this I would say takes about half an hour once its all signed off as it will be changing inputs with everything automated afterwards. I am sure the Tech guys can correct me but I dont think there is actually a lot of man hours in this type of change anymore

Comment

You literally just thanked a post that essentially proves this is corporate welfare. A tax could have been applied to achieve the exact same effect, and for some reason nobody can seem to articulate the government instead are giving the money to large corporations.
                                                                                                  It is just not as simple as the cartoon position you present.
                                                                                                  I would prefer if it was excise and in time it will be, but the reasons it is felt that in order to get this implemented it is necessary to prevent the alcohol companies and retailers from circumventing it with discounting and below cost selling.
                                                                                                  It does not follow that this is some corporate stratagem to exploit the gin wankers.

Originally posted by LaoLao
                                                                                                  These people will get their hands on drink, no matter what the price. I see this happening week in and week out
                                                                                                  And maybe, just maybe thats not 100% true and some of them will find a way into treatment and a better life.

Originally posted by Keane
                                                                                                  the world is lately awash with examples of where offering clean, safe, controlled environments to addicts to ease their cravings is having very positive impacts. It is even easier to find a multitude of cases in which constricting supply and forcing people into criminality to feed their addiction has utterly ruinous consequences for both the addicts and their communities.
                                                                                                  <snip the intolerance at the stupidity of this>
                                                                                                  We already have these places they are called pubs, this measure is not aimed at people who use them.

Comment

It is just not as simple as the cartoon position you present.
                                                                                                    I would prefer if it was excise and in time it will be, but the reasons it is felt that in order to get this implemented it is necessary to prevent the alcohol companies and retailers from circumventing it with discounting and below cost selling.
                                                                                                    It does not follow that this is some corporate stratagem to exploit the gin wankers.

And maybe, just maybe thats not 100% true and some of them will find a way into treatment and a better life.

<snip the intolerance at the stupidity of this>
                                                                                                    We already have these places they are called pubs, this measure is not aimed at people who use them.
                                                                                                    It must be quite obvious to you that you are completely avoiding the substance of all the arguments against this put to you.

(in before - 'the arguments have no substance")

Comment

Why do you think this would happen?
                                                                                                      Up to now there's been no discounting or below cost selling that has taken the price below the existing excise requirements. They seem willing to cut profit to zero and to swallow transport/storage costs but their base line has been the excise. No reason to think that would change under another excise increase (it didn't change under the hefty increases earlier this decade after all).

Comment

It must be quite obvious to you that you are completely avoiding the substance of all the arguments against this put to you.

(in before - 'the arguments have no substance")
                                                                                                        I don't think I am ignoring anything of substance.

The only thing I'm ignoring is the claim that myself and anyone else who thinks this is worth trying a puritan who wants to punish people is moronic and undeserving of comment.

Comment

Why do you think this would happen?
                                                                                                          Up to now there's been no discounting or below cost selling that has taken the price below the existing excise requirements. They seem willing to cut profit to zero and to swallow transport/storage costs but their base line has been the excise. No reason to think that would change under another excise increase (it didn't change under the hefty increases earlier this decade after all).
                                                                                                          TBH I have no clue and it is not the part of the policy I'm interested in, I want to see it tested and if its a success then its a good thing.

here is what the HSE's alcohol action Ireland say.

Why doesn’t the Government just increase tax on alcohol?
                                                                                                          Large multiple retailers can sell deeply discounted alcohol as a draw to attract customers – an increase in tax can easily be absorbed and off-set by increasing the prices of other goods. MUP sets a ’floor price’ for alcohol and cannot be undercut and therefore is a more targeted measure than increasing excise duty, which applies to all alcohol products and consumers equally.

Even if excise duty were increased, once the retailer pays the tax owed to the Government, retailers are under are under no obligation to pass this on to consumers so alcohol could still be sold as a ‘loss leader’. However, excise duty and MUP are not irreconcilable policies and can work together to reduce alcohol harm.

Would banning below-cost selling of alcohol not have the same effect as MUP?
                                                                                                          A ban on below cost selling is likely to be far less effective than MUP and also much more difficult to enforce. There is no agreed definition of below-cost selling in Ireland or how it could be calculated. However, if below-cost selling is interpreted as alcohol being sold below VAT and excise duty then a relatively small amount of alcohol is sold at this price in Ireland and a ban on below-cost selling in Ireland has been estimated to have almost no impact on population consumption.

The cheapest priced alcohol generally skims the top of combined VAT and excise duty. Defining cost as just excise duty and VAT, means ignoring the manufacturing, transportation and retail costs associated with the product. In other words, it is not a true reflection of the total costs. Working out a cost price of alcohol, that incorporates all of these contributing costs, would be a complex and expensive exercise, making a ban on below-cost selling of alcohol almost impossible to implement, monitor and enforce.

Comment

I don't think I am ignoring anything of substance.

The only thing I'm ignoring is the claim that myself and anyone else who thinks this is worth trying a puritan who wants to punish people is moronic and undeserving of comment.
                                                                                                            I just think you have blindspots about things you are emotionally invested in at times - I'm not trying to suggest you are a puritan or are coming from anywhere but a POV of wanting to see people helped.

Comment

I assume the vast majority of us are fully aware of the affliction of alcohol on both the alcoholics themselves and those indirectly most affected by the disease.

I understand the intended effects long term and although I tend to agree that this is unlikely to cause much relieve in the long term, I can't be sure. That said, what I am sure about is that the short term ramifications for those most directly and indirectly affected by this disease will be far more detrimental than helpful.

Obviously, I'm aware that not implementing this strategy in order to avoid the short term issues would be ridiculous but when the long term benefits appear somewhat precarious, it's probably worth revisiting other possible solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                                                Say what now?

Stars on 45
                                                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

here is what the HSE's alcohol action Ireland say.

Nah, not buying it - if there was below cost selling to those extremes then it would be possible to get a can of beer at a German supermarket style 39c price in Ireland. This hasn't happened, the excise always has set an effective base under which it would be stupid to sell.
                                                                                                                  The HSE article uses words like 'could' and 'can' a lot, i.e., no claim that this has actually happened on any of the dozens of previous excise increases.

They actually inadvertently admit this in the first sentence of the fourth paragraph.

Comment

Nah, not buying it - if there was below cost selling to those extremes then it would be possible to get a can of beer at a German supermarket style 39c price in Ireland. This hasn't happened, the excise always has set an effective base under which it would be stupid to sell.
                                                                                                                    The HSE article uses words like 'could' and 'can' a lot, i.e., no claim that this has actually happened on any of the dozens of previous excise increases.

They actually inadvertently admit this in the first sentence of the fourth paragraph.
                                                                                                                    The whole thing is complete foolishness. 'Below cost price is poorly defined in Ireland' - give me a break. Defining cost price as VAT + excise is surely no more difficult than inventing 'minimum unit pricing'.

The notion that policing below cost sales is more difficult than policing below minimum unit price sales is just too stupid for words.

Comment

The HSE eh ? Quality source . Yer like kofi annan there boy.

Comment

Thats makes sense. If they want to accountants can make the cost price to be whatever they want it to be.

I can promise you with 100% certainty that if it was to turn out to be a windfall for Alcohol companies the Revenue would not wait long to remedy that.
                                                                                                                        Once again though, the revenue whatever it is from this not the important part.
                                                                                                                        Show me this substance I'm ignoring rather than spouting Petersonist dogma.

Originally posted by Brady23
                                                                                                                        Obviously, I'm aware that not implementing this strategy in order to avoid the short term issues would be ridiculous but when the long term benefits appear somewhat precarious, it's probably worth revisiting other possible solutions.
                                                                                                                        Whatcha got in mind?

Comment

, I want to see it tested and if its a success then its a good thing.
                                                                                                                          What would be your definition of a success?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X