X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restaurant: Fade St. Social

Wesite: http://www.fadestreetsocial.com/

Price: €€

It's about as trendy as trendy gets (do people even use the word trendy anymore or is everything trendy now just hip?) but don’t let that put you off the casual and buzzy Dylan Moran vehicle Fade Street Social.

Situated over three floors and rammed to capacity on a Saturday night three of us opted for the tapas bar where you could watch on as your dishes were prepared with mechanical focus in the open plan kitchen.

There’s nothing particularly Spanish about this tapas experience but the menu offered plenty of choice and was quite intriguing. We chose two dishes each for sharing and a couple of sides including parmesan skinny fries. Two wines (rioja, a sauv blanc) and a beer washed it all down.

The feast consisted of:

Bacon and Cabbage Burgers fried pork belly in balsamic, smoked pudding, crispy cabbage, peppered bacon, lyonnasie and a milk bun

Chinese Pork Belly slow cooked pork with Asian spices, crispy peanut brittle

Whole Soft Shell Crab in sesame spice flour with miso mayonnaise, crab and lemongrass dipping sauce

Cod Cheeks fried in breadcrumbs dipped in carrot puree and spiced bread

Beef Carpaccio with celeriac and apple remoulade bound with wasabi mayonnaise, apple puree and horse radish

Truffle Pasta charred artichokes and parmesan

We finished off with a couple of banoffees and a chocolate and rose yogurt ice cream cone

Everything was more than satisfactory bar the soft shell crab which was rather bland.

Service was chummy but smart and the bill came to a pleasing €120 with tip.

Basically its very high-end fast food set in a bustling but well organized environment.

It reminds me a little of Wagamama in its heavily branded, canteen style, stack ‘em high, sell ‘em cheap pitch but the food is good (although the portions could be a little more generous for sharing purposes), the atmosphere very lively and the value excellent if you’re after a fuss-free bite to eat with some quirky but thoughtful dishes and plenty of choice.

7.5/10
    Last edited by BennyHiFi; 14-04-13, 15:20.

Comment

Restaurant Name: Brasserie 66
      Price: €€€, under normal circumstances

Last Friday night saw a celebratory occasion in honour of a horse. The evening was enlivened by the addition of a horses head, a pig and about a dozen donkeys from IPB. The occasion was a celebratory banquet to commemorate Our Conor's victory at Cheltenham, he having been at the time in the part-ownership of our very own Gimmeabreak. The invitees were those lucky enough to have invested considerable sums on OC and those IPBers considered sexy and\or witty enough to qualify for attendance. So, if you weren't in receipt of an invite, you clearly aren't sexy, witty or in possession of a temporarily-engorged bankroll. KP employed his considerable talents of organisation in the pursuit of a memorable evening and succeeded mightily. The evening's entertainments unfolded thusly:

Fade Street Social was chosen as the venue for the pre-prandial drinks (this may or may not be due to Benny HiFi's review from a few weeks back). In any case the crowd began to congregate there from seven, with dinner booked for nine in Brasserie 66. Having never been in Fade Street before, I got hopelessly lost inside the sprawling premises and had to ring GAB to enjoin his assistance. 'Where the fuck are you?' I enquired politely. It transpired the lads were about six feet away and I joined them after adopting my customary savoir-faire. A most degenerate collection of desperados were in conclave around a table in the smoking area. This locale proved fortuituous as I was able to present the guest of honour with his victory cigar for a pre-dinner puff. GAB did note that our harrassed waitress was an unraced maiden and she certainly exhibited distinct signs of greenness, shying away from the stalls and eventually tipping a tray of cocktails over a table of fillies and mares. Withdrawn not under orders was the official verdict of the stewards. Tanqueray and tonic was the tipple of choice and the chat flowed easily as the crew renewed acquaintance over repeated viewings of Our Conor slaughtering the field up the famous hill. Still makes the hairs on my neck stand up and certainly engendered some appetite for the evening's main event.

V for Vendetta was busy putting on a fashion masterclass with the shiniest shoes ever seen in Ireland teaming up nicely with his vintage leather manbag. The rest of us failed to match him in the dapperness stakes and so he won the best turned out award by a distance. KP had, after considerable research, selected Brasserie 66 for the banquet. As I understand them, his reasons were as follows: (1) they'll let anyone in and (2), they will cook up an entire suckling pig on request. Both criteria seemed admirably suited to both the tenor and the tone of the affair and indeed we intended to test both to the limit. A quick stagger across the busy Georges Street thoroughfare and we were in the door of Brasserie 66. A quick inspection of the premises revealed it was absolutely hopping and we were forced to wait a good twenty minutes for our table. This wasn't such a hardship as we bellied up to the bar where we perused the wine menu and were also able to inspect our pig slowly turning in the rotisserie. Shiraz having been rejected as too tannic for pork, the instruction was given to uncork Pinot Noir and 'keep it coming until you run out'. This turned out to be a prophetic instruction.

Eventually, the cheerful but slightly ditzy floorstaff seated their ditzier clientele and we were able to commence the main business of the evening. I managed to goad V and GAB into declaring white-collar boxing war on each other. This backfired somewhat when I was equally trashtalked into taking on HitchHiker in a similar event. He'd probably want to increase his health insurance now. The other deviants avoided this fate, iSnow regaled us with tales of Mullingar traveller street battles that whetted the appetite for the pugilistic contests ahead and Rounder's boxing expertise was much in demand as a prospective cornerman. We ordered starters, which given that there was many kilos of pork revolving away not more than six feet away from our table was an exercise in piggery itself. I think I had crab, it was fine. The Pinot Noir ran out at about this juncture but they managed to find an appropriate replacement. 'Minor celebrity alert!' exclaimed one of the boys as Kathyrn Thomas was seen to sashay past in a dress that left little to the imagination. I decided this was a good time for speeches and requested KP to stand and deliver. As he began his oration, I slipped on a horses mask that I had acquired specfically for this moment and sneaked in behind GAB, flashing V-signs and nodding enthusiastically. Our Conor had arrived!

Within moments the mask had been donned by its rightful owner, Kathryn Thomas had been inveigled in for a photo and the madness kicked into high gear. Where it remained for several hours. I do recall that the pork was very tasty and the guy sent out to carve it looked like he could kill us all with his little finger. V ate most of it. iSnow and Rounders shared the head (eyeballs included - 'for strength') and the waitress kept asking us to tone it down until she eventually realised there was no chance of this happening. Our Conor galloped around the table enthusiastically. The evening then proceeded along the expected lines but as this is a restaurant review I shall not go into that any further.

I look forward to more sophisticated reviews, I'm still not right.

10/10
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Restaurant Name: Brasserie 66
        Review:

I feel sorry for he man who said 'You should never meet your heros' as he probably had shit heros.

Aperitifs were being served in the impossibly hipster Fade St. Social.
        Our waitress informed us that our table was going to be the 1st she had served, ever.
        Talk about being baptized by fire.
        After the impossible task of keeping us topped up the stress finally took its toll and she unfortunately dropped a tray full of drinks on our neighbouring
        revelers.
        After I witnessed one of our party slip her a few notes I wondered had he orchestrated the whole incident for his own amusement?

The details were sketchy but I soon wised up.
        Spitroast..€300...keep it on the down low. Understood.
        Something exciting was afoot and I was delighted to receive an invite.

I'd never attended a spitroast party before but a quick glance at urban dictionary was enough to set my heart racing.
        I'm not usually partial to encounters of this kind but to hell with it.In an effort to embrace my inner Libertine I accepted. This was going to be fun!

At €300 for the evening the "pig" seemed a great deal.
        I certainly hoped she wasn't a pig and was at least somewhat goodlooking.
        I also wondered how they even found her?

Had KP placed an ad in the Indo or Heddeld?

"Young girl of ill-repute required for adult entertainment evening.
        Must be comfortable with crowds and capable of multi-tasking
        2 hours work
        €300."

Optimal strategy would obviously be to go first.
        As Gimmeabreak was the guest of honour I imagined he'd want to take pole position. Pun intended.
        Having studied the most important rules ie. No crossing swords,
        When eye contact is made a high five must be administered, Stick to one lane and change tyres in the pit I was rearing to go.

News of the "pigs" arrival soon filled the air and as I lunged forward off the grid, about to drop my strides, the penny dropped.
        Out wheeled an actual suckling pig. Oh THAT kind of spitroast party..charming.
        Deflated I tore a few strips off its hole, which incidentally was the plan for the original "pig", and went on the hooch for the night.

The hooch consisted of a lethal cocktail of craft beer and a New Zealand Pinot Noir.
        Craft beer is impossibly trendy now.
        The more I drank the pointier my shoes and skinnier my jeans were getting.
        The switch to Pinot Noir was a welcome one and an excellent match for the pork.
        The initial nose surprised me in that I hadn't come across "Reynard" since a trip to Burgundy in 2004.
        It's a near on impossible scent to describe and I'd been told is exclusive to high end Burgundy Pinot Noirs due to the Terroir.
        I gave it a few minutes to make sure I wasn't mistaken then stuck my hooter in the glass again.
        Yup it was definitely "Reynard" but from a New Zealand Pinot. I can't wait to ring France on Monday to let them know!

I had decided to name the pig Reginald and he looked like a gent of character who was taking everything in his stride.
        With his wry smile he appeared almost amused by events. I'd soon wipe the smile off your face Reggie.
        'Bring me the head' I barked to the waitress. I was already on thin ice with her and she was not amused.
        Now, seating me next to Rounders was never going to end well.
        I started with a cheek. He also had a cheek.
        As we hacked and picked our way through his bulb the suggestion came to eat his eyeballs.
        Why not I thought although I was almost heaving at the thought of it.
        With an unnerving surgical skill Rounders removed an eye and waved it in front of me.
        I almost got sick as it popped open in my mouth.
        We then proceeded to hack off the end of his snout, cut it in two and share it.
        If a pair of bollox were produced I'm sure we would have at least considered the idea.
        Oink Oink Reggie, who's laughing now?

The evenings events took a hazy turn but I do remember that between the pigs head, gentlemen in animal masks and the drunken revellery I imagined
        our band of degenerates looked like some sordidly esoteric meeting of a secret society and this was our Bohemian Grove.
        Then the real pig was wheeled out.
        I swear to God she looked the spitting image of Katheryn Thomas but I've no idea how the rest of the night went as I was very, very, drunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          I look forward to more sophisticated reviews, I'm still not right.

10/10
          Surprised you didn't mention the crab starter we both had, it was a large martini glass filled with a generous portion of crab meat bound in mayonnaise and topped with a creamy puree of orange and avocado. It was a really beautiful dish, so simple and a perfect combination of textures and flavours.
          I doubt it looking at the rest of the menu that this is an original dish, I'd never come across it before but I'd definitely go back there just for that.

Tempted to post pics of iSnow and Rounders literally digging into the pigs head but this thread shouldn't be trying to put people off their food
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

did nobody eat the apple?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
              Tempted to post pics of iSnow and Rounders literally digging into the pigs head but this thread shouldn't be trying to put people off their food
              Agreed. BBV after dinner?

Comment

Conrad Gallagher has popped up in Las Vegas with a gourmet burger joint.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                  Getting bad reviews, mainly for price. Already going down the groupon route so will be bust again sadly

Look at the state of that spoon ffs

Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                    Getting bad reviews, mainly for price. Already going down the groupon route so will be bust again sadly

Look at the state of that spoon ffs

Haha... yes. A colleague of mine in Vegas went to eat there but all they had was turkey burgers because 'their delivery hadn't come'.

I wonder why...

Comment

Haha... yes. A colleague of mine in Vegas went to eat there but all they had was turkey burgers because 'their delivery hadn't come'.

I wonder why...
                      Building owner should probably nail any pictures to the wall

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                        Building owner should probably nail Conrad to the wall

FYP

Comment

Just back from dinner in the Greenhouse. Best I've had I reckon. I'll do up a report when I get a chance but may not do it justice. Michelin Star a cert in the next year or two.

Comment

There's a rake of us going to Chapter One on Friday for my 'stag' and I noticed on the website that the group menu which is €62.50 consists of 3 courses, where the 4-course dinner is only €2.50 more. Seems a bit of a joke that you get worse value for bringing in 16 people, no?

Comment

Worth going to thorntons just for the truffle powder
                              Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                              https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

You owe us a review of the hanged mans Arch.

I go there too often to be impartial, suffice to say that the last half dozen times I've gone out locally I think about everywhere else and then go back there.
                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Has anyone eaten in Dromoland Castle or can recommend a quality spot around Limerick?

Comment

We were there for a wedding in November, wouldnt have been raving about the food tbh. Restaurant felt lacking in atmosphere a bit, it was decent, but not great. Some fabulous bars and snugs for drinks though must say, very castle-y feel to it.There is a good Indian in Annacotty called Copper and Spice, bit of a spin but lovely setting overlooking the river.
                                    Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                    https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                      Just back from dinner in the Greenhouse. Best I've had I reckon. I'll do up a report when I get a chance but may not do it justice. Michelin Star a cert in the next year or two.
                                      I had the 5 course surprise menu there a few weeks ago. I'd only rate 3 of the courses as very good. The other two were fine but didn't blow my skirt up. Service was a little patchy as it fell between the triple objectives of being cool, friendly and formal which just can't be done.

Can't assess the wine as none of the party were imbibing.

Reasonable value for Dublin at €375 for 4 without alcohol including tip, and overall worth a spin but I'm not rushing back. 7.5/10

Careca needs to get out more I reckon!
                                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                        never been before but I have booked myself into Thorntons on Saturday night - il be having a good night courtesy of Mich Halford
                                        I was there 3 years ago. I really enjoyed it and it's certainly an experience as he really likes the theatricality in presenting his food. Too expensive for me to make a habit of the full monty tasting menu though. I ended up footing a bill for ~ €200 a head and there was only one bottle of wine and a few glasses of champagne if I remember correctly...

No bother to you though!! Enjoy
                                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

lol one of our group put a review of CH1 on TripAdvisor slating the sommelier for not giving a shit and they rang back the guy who booked it this morning (had no idea the review went up) asking him to expand.
                                          Unfortunately for him, he's booked in there for a family lunch at 1 pm today. Might be a bit sticky if they remember him!

Comment

He should take the opportunity to let them know that they have employed a complete toolbox.

Sommelier Description:
                                            The most important work of a sommelier is in the areas of wine procurement, wine storage, wine cellar rotation, and expert service to wine consumers.
                                            A sommelier may also be responsible for the development of wine lists, and for the delivery of wine service and training for the other restaurant staff. Working along with the culinary team, they pair and suggest wines that will best complement each particular food menu item. This entails the need for a deep knowledge of how food and wine, beer, spirits and other beverages work in harmony. A professional sommelier also works on the floor of the restaurant and is in direct contact with restaurant patrons. The sommelier has a responsibility to work within the taste preference and budget parameters of the patron.

Now which of the above did the guy fall down on?
                                            I also hold similar contempt for 'Executive Chefs' who oversee a kitchen but don't actually cook anything.

Comment

Originally posted by iSnow View Post
                                              I also hold similar contempt for 'Executive Chefs' who oversee a kitchen but don't actually cook anything.
                                              wouldnt an exec chef be responsible for ordering food, managing accounts, paying staff, and other non-cooking stuff, most of which would occur outside of normal kitchen opening times.

can be part of the head chefs duties, or can be handled by someone else entirely

Comment

Originally posted by thegreatiam View Post
                                                wouldnt an exec chef be responsible for ordering food, managing accounts, paying staff, and other non-cooking stuff, most of which would occur outside of normal kitchen opening times.

can be part of the head chefs duties, or can be handled by someone else entirely
                                                I've got a very talented Exec Head Chef on the books ATM who does all of the above yet also plays an active role in all aspects of food service. You can't just write a menu and expect your brigade to execute it without leading by example. While food/resource costing is a vital part of the role, so is cooking.

Chef=Cook
                                                Sommelier= Serve/recommend wine
                                                Kitchen Porter= Scrub Pots

Comment

He should take the opportunity to let them know that they have employed a complete toolbox.

Sommelier Description:
                                                  The most important work of a sommelier is in the areas of wine procurement, wine storage, wine cellar rotation, and expert service to wine consumers.
                                                  A sommelier may also be responsible for the development of wine lists, and for the delivery of wine service and training for the other restaurant staff. Working along with the culinary team, they pair and suggest wines that will best complement each particular food menu item. This entails the need for a deep knowledge of how food and wine, beer, spirits and other beverages work in harmony. A professional sommelier also works on the floor of the restaurant and is in direct contact with restaurant patrons. The sommelier has a responsibility to work within the taste preference and budget parameters of the patron.

all of the bolded. Only time we saw him was when he told us he was too busy because it was Friday. Waiter served all the wine we did buy.

Comment

I've got a very talented Exec Head Chef on the books ATM who does all of the above yet also plays an active role in all aspects of food service. You can't just write a menu and expect your brigade to execute it without leading by example. While food/resource costing is a vital part of the role, so is cooking.

Chef=Cook
                                                    Sommelier= Serve/recommend wine
                                                    Kitchen Porter= Scrub Pots
                                                    Most exec chefs will run the kitchen and take care of admin, but its not exclusively like that.
                                                    sometimes the exec chef will be more of an admin role due to the hours required, id imagine in a very large/busy kitchen exec chefs rarely cook due to the hours that the admin would require.
                                                    not sure which would be of higher 'rank' the exec admin or the head chef. I assume exec is always the top dog in the kitchen.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                      lol one of our group put a review of CH1 on TripAdvisor slating the sommelier for not giving a shit and they rang back the guy who booked it this morning (had no idea the review went up) asking him to expand.
                                                      Unfortunately for him, he's booked in there for a family lunch at 1 pm today. Might be a bit sticky if they remember him!
                                                      from reading the review, the service sounds atrocious
                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Restaurant Name: Downstairs

Just a quick one but this is definitely worth a visit.

When we arrived I was impressed with the size of the dining room as I love a high ceiling, however when I glanced around I noticed a lot of silver hair and then it dawned that we where the youngest people by about 30 years inside. Although it was quiet busy for a Thursday night.

The host took our voucher but asked did we mention we had one when booking, this almost turned out to be a problem as the taster menu they offer isn't on the actual menu so has to be booked in advance to source what's needed. After disappearing for 10mins he came back and said we where good to go so a bottle pinot noir was ordered on a sunny evening.

There was no bread offered when we where seated which was fine, doesn't seem like that type of place.

Starter was Sea trout with an apple sorbet and cucumber - The sea trout was flavorless, all I tasted was apple and cucumber with each bite.

Next was pork belly, with peas, Fennel Mayo, layer of pork fat, grapes and balsamic vinegar - This was awesome, super crispy belly.

3rd was Hake with a parsnip and vanilla puree, baby asparagus and raisins- There was probably more stuff but don't remember. This was the highlight for me, that puree with the fish was perfect.

4th was Fillet of beef with a truffle jus, spring onions and caramelized shallots - Classic finish, it was the rarest piece of meat I've ever being handed but thankfully it was sous-vied and then sealed so just melted in your mouth, could really taste the truffle coming through.

5th was some summer pudding desert with lemon ice cream. Nice but nothing spectacular.

Anyway bill was €59 with the voucher, 35 for the wine but yeah it's well worth it if you live local. good service and decent food down the road. I'd call them if you want to head down for the taster. I enjoyed it as much as Conrad's, Salon menu and more than l'Ecrivain

Food 8/10
                                                        Service 8/10

The bar upstairs is awful, not sure who they are trying to cater to.
                                                        Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                          Restaurant Name: Downstairs
                                                          I was there on Monday, similar thoughts myself. I think they are aiming quite high with some of the food and not quite getting there. Doing good things with fish though.

The upstairs bar is , it's like something that somebody thought would attract a hipster crowd (as if that were a desirable thing)

Comment

I'm bringing the wife down to Farnham estate for a couple of nights at the end of the month and was looking at restaurants in Cavan town to go to on one of the nights. Came across the oak room restaurant has anyone eaten here before or could recommend somewhere else close by
                                                            cheers

Comment

I ate in the Oak Room the last time I was up there. It was ok - probably the best in Cavan town but unlikely to set you alight. Nothing objectionable about it. I dont think I would gamble on finding somewhere better unless you wanted to travel a distance (which I doubt you do).
                                                              sound thanks GAB if its good enough for you not to object that's good enough for me

Comment

Busto! Lasted four months.

Comment

Restaurant Name: La Mere Zou
                                                                  Location: Stephen's Green, Dublin 2
                                                                  Price: €€€€

'twas the eve of Bastille Day and Mrs Duke and I were hunting down somewhere to dine for a celebratory occasion. Given the date, the cuisine could only be Froggy but where to patronise with our presence? I first rang Les Freres Jacques where the first cousin of Rene Artois (to my mind all French accents sound fake) answered the phone and snootily declined my request for a Saturday evening table. Then, almost as an afterthough, he delivered the clincher; ' you 'ave a voucher?' Phew, bullet dodged - Groupon vouchers are the leprosy of the restaurant trade and almost certainly signify that the establishment in question is on its last legs and feverishly trying to drum up business to fend off the ravening creditors for another month. I've given up on them, having had several less than satisfactory experiences, the sole honourable exception being the Bridge Bar and Restaurant. In almost every instance, arriving with a voucher involves being shunted off to an awful table lest your unwelcome presence contaminate the mugs paying full price. You will then have the 'voucher menu' ungraciously shoved in your face, be served your heat-lamp destroyed vittels with ill-disguised malevolence and then be shooed out the door by the stony-faced maître d' who clearly can't wait to be shot of your cut-price ass. Well, fuck them. I'm paying full whack from now on and in return I expect to be treated like the Sultan of Araby in the Grand Harem of Constantinople (pretty damn well).

This was all to the good as Mrs D then proposed La Mere Zou as an alternative. It's one of those Dublin restaurants that have been there forever but whose doors I've never darkened. If you take longevity as a sign of quality in the grub game, then this presaged some fine frog fare on the evening before the day that changed history. Unless you're Zhou Enlai of course but he was a fucking smartarse. In any case, we entrusted the babysitter with the care of the mini-Ds and phoned for a taxi to whisk us townwards. 'He's here' shouted a kid. 'I hope it's not that gobshite again' I riposted wittily. Of course it was - The Ultimate Caricature of the Dub Taxi Driver. Who obviously sits by the rank awaiting my call as he seems to have the hotline to our residence. I ignored him all the way into town as he relayed a non-stop stream of consciousness monologue in the direction of the backseat for twenty minutes. If Joyce were around today, he would have garnered enough material from the journey to put together volumes II and III of Ulysses. Which might at least silence David Norris for a few minutes.

Our chariot released us into the maelstrom of humanity at the bottom of Graton Street and we wandered Green-ward, slightly awed by the variety of sunburn on display at the end of the warmest week I've ever known in Ireland. We Irish have a curious relationship with the sun, seemingly craving its attentions yet being totally unable to accept temperatures over 20 degrees with any iota of sensible behaviour. Hence, we were treated to a panorama of pinkness that would not be out of place in a piggery. The few Mediterranean types in the crowd looked viscerally sickened. We ducked into Davy Byrnes for a pre-prandial drink and, as I stood at the bar idly observing the Kilkenny-Waterford hurling qualifier, I was accosted by a sixty-ish gent, sweating profusely having clearly just returned from the smoking area out front. 'Don't tell me those fuckers are winning again' he commanded. The score being five points apiece, I hastened to allay his fears. 'Good, good. I can't stand those fuckers' he confided. A thought then struck him; ' you're not one of those fuckers yourself?'. I assured him I wasn't, my drinks arrived and I departed the scene, none the wiser as to the ultimate identity of the 'fuckers'. Another truly Joycean moment to add to the collection and an exchange which I doubt could happen in any other country.

We completed our peregrinations and arrived on the Green at La Mere Zou, entering into a nice basement space and being greeted with a smile by our authentically French waitress. An aperitif was proffered, of the Bellini variety, and we both accepted. A very well-populated specials board adorned the end wall with at least three or four specials for starters, mains and desserts. I took this to be a very auspicious sign - any restaurant that goes to the bother of having that many specials is clearly on the ball. I also appreciated the way that we were given both the Table d’Hôte menu (€38 for three courses) and the A la Carte, with the specials board making it clear how you could mix 'n match specials in with the set menu and at what cost. A rare example of a place that treats its paying customers as functioning adults. We sipped Bellinis, munched on very good marinated olives and perused the menus at leisure as we settled into the ambience of the evening. Eventually, decisions were arrived at and we issued a list of demands to another very French waitress (they must get them from a language school or something).

Mrs Duke, as is her wont, had selected the oysters to start and these were six prime specimens of very fresh bivalve straight from the pellucid depths of Carlingford Lough. The best oysters in Ireland in my opinion and bettered only by the Plates of Brittany in Europe. I went for a starter from the specials board of roasted scallops. These eschewed the ubiquitous Irish accompaniments of either bacon or black pudding and were perfectly cooked and paired with softened endive and a sauce that escapes my memory. Excellent, although the scallops themselves were on the pygmy end of the scale. A bottle of chilled white Bordeaux was an ideal partner to these. For mains, Mrs Duke had gone for the roasted brill (another special) on a bed of potato and here, the first and only discordant note of the evening was struck with the unwelcome discovery that the spud was tepid. The brill itself, although again slightly on the small side, was excellent. I had spotted a half-lobster, yet again a special, with tagliatelle and garlic butter on a fellow-diner's plate and unhesitatingly plumped for it as my main. This turned out to be one of my better decisions, the sweet lobster meat (obligingly loosened in the shell by the kitchen) drenched in garlicky buttery goodness the undoubted highlight of the evening.

Our dessert choices were yet again from the specials and we both chose the Café option, which turned out to be an espresso with a platter of four miniaturised desserts. Lemon tart, macaroon, chocolate fondant and, eh, some other yoke were devoured in milliseconds. There is a shrewd pâtissier in the back somewhere. Espressos were average but this is to be expected in a French restaurant - it's always amazed me that, in the premier world food culture, they have never bothered to develop a proper appreciation for coffee. Almost everywhere else in Europe does it better. I expect this somehow can be explained by the fact that coffee is not native to la Belle France and they just can't be arsed treating it with due respect. We lingered on some more over two glasses of port until I eventually called for l'addition which came to €152 in total. You could eat cheaper here with some more judicious menu selection and avoidance of cocktails and digestifs. But where would the fun be in that? An all-round winner and I'll be back before too long. I've rarely had better (or more attractive) service too.

We then repaired to Nearys on Chatham Street for further libations where we encountered a boisterous fortieth birthday party in full swing. Mrs Duke, never one to sit on the margins, inveigled herself into proceedings and discovered the Birthday Boy to be a Tyrone man, of Chinese descent. She snapped his picture and sent it to her sister-in-law in New York who confirmed she knew the man in question and requested a birthday kiss to be delivered on her behalf. A suitably Joycean note to end an excellent evening.

8/10

Comment

OP updated with the latest bunch of reviews from 02.04.13 to date

Comment

€152 seems fairly competitive for the food you describe?
                                                                      Maybe I phrased it badly. It is reasonable value, although certainly not cheap. I've gotten into an awful habit of benchmarking everything against Aldridge Lodge.

Comment

.Celebration in St. Stephens Green

...I'm looking to get a bit of advice if possible as to selection of restaurant...
                                                                        My sister and her Boyfriend are coming home from America for 10 days in September, and he is planning a proposal...He will be proposing in St.Stephens Green that day, and hoping to have her friends and family waiting in a nearby restaurant...
                                                                        ...I'm wondering what restaurants people would recommend...I'd imagine there will be about 30 people, although it could spill to 50/60...I'm guessing I need to reserve tables, and on a Friday im worried this would be difficult...
                                                                        ...I'd be looking for a restaurant with a small bit of variety just in case there are fussy eaters, but price not too high...
                                                                        ...I read through the 3 restaurants on review (great thread btw), but some of the prices were too high...there will probably be more drinking than anything else..
                                                                        ...Any advice or suggestions are appreciated...
                                                                        ...Thanks...
                                                                        ...Liam...

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                          ...I'm looking to get a bit of advice if possible as to selection of restaurant...
                                                                          My sister and her Boyfriend are coming home from America for 10 days in September, and he is planning a proposal...He will be proposing in St.Stephens Green that day, and hoping to have her friends and family waiting in a nearby restaurant...
                                                                          ...I'm wondering what restaurants people would recommend...I'd imagine there will be about 30 people, although it could spill to 50/60...I'm guessing I need to reserve tables, and on a Friday im worried this would be difficult...
                                                                          ...I'd be looking for a restaurant with a small bit of variety just in case there are fussy eaters, but price not too high...
                                                                          ...I read through the 3 restaurants on review (great thread btw), but some of the prices were too high...there will probably be more drinking than anything else..
                                                                          ...Thanks...
                                                                          ...Liam...
                                                                          Book a suite in a hotel nearby, ship a caterer in for food and cocktails?

Comment

...Thanks...
                                                                            ...Liam...
                                                                            Maybe Peploes: http://www.peploes.com/

Comment

I hope she says yes, the evening could be a bit of an anticlimax otherwise! Also - not sure I would like up to 50/60 people know that I was about to be proposed to before the deed. Lucky I am not a woman I guess.

You should look at places like The Stephens Green Club, The Hibernian Club which will have a function room. Conrad Hotel, Fitzwilliam Hotel would be similar. For a restaurant I think somewhere like La Stampa would have a big enough room. Ron Blacks or whatever it is called now has an upstairs room that can handle functions also - get some finger food and rattle the drink into you.
                                                                              Having had to discuss the eccentricities of engagements quite a bit with various people, male and female, over the past seven months, lots of people feel similar. This boyfriend should be damn sure his potential bride-to-be isn't one of them before he executes this plan!

Comment

Yeah, I've seen girls break down crying in restaurants. Would be very wary of doing something like that!

Comment

...Thanks...
                                                                                  ...Liam...

dandelions or harry's on the green?
                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

If its more drinking then Dawson Street could be a better option for you.

Loads of places down there that woukd suit for mostly drinks and a bit of food. I know Samsara have a reservable spot upstairs.
                                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I see Noel has mentioned La Stampa/Samsara already.
                                                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

This place sounds great: http://jonnymcfarlane.wordpress.com/...tery-in-exile/

Comment

Restaurant Name:Tribes

Location:Glasthule

Website:http://tribes.ie/

Price Range: €€/€

Review:

4 of us took a field trip on Saturday night after I was told to book somewhere different other than City Centre, so on recommendation from someone else I booked a 7-9pm slot in Tribes of Glasthule Village. Met the other two in Tara Street Dart Station with the tickets as I was the only one who knew where we were off to (the women love this).

Hopped off at Sandycove/Glasthule and the two minute walk down to the restaurant. Nice, airy & modern, which was needed on a hot evening it only offers a Set Menu @ €18/€24/€27 for 1/2/3 Courses.

Homemade brown bread and jugs of water arrived and we opted for a nice Sauvignon Blanc as it felt a bit too heavy of a day for red.

Starters were Chicken Salad,2 x Meat plate & I had the special which was poached Duck Egg with Mushrooms & peas (no extra charge). The Chef explained the meat plate to the two women when delivered to the table (which always helps impress them) and my starter was very good I have to say, nice and light.

Mains were the Lamb Shoulder, Cod & the Special which was Monkfish (€5 supplement).
                                                                                          All were excellent with both fish dishes getting great praise.

A round of after dinner drinks (Sambuca, Port etc) were had & the bill including 2 bottles of wine & tip was only €45pp. Across the road to the Eagles House for a few sociables and back into town on the last Dart just before 11pm and into Mulligans for a couple more and a great night had by all. Nice trip if you fancy somewhere different & you don't want to spend a fortune.

9/10
                                                                                          Last edited by Dice75; 22-07-13, 14:12.

Comment

That sounds great and very good value. Might take a trip out there next week. Lovely area in this weather.

Comment

...Cheers everyone for the responses and help.. I will check out each of them, I am going start with noels choice because I have a male crush on him since our conor...
                                                                                              Oh, and i'd never have people waiting to celebrate, if my sister says no it'll be the longest 10 days ever, as they are staying in my house!...(bitch better say yes)...

Comment

Well, Conrad Gallagher's Vegas burger joint was short-lived. Includes well researched 'sketchy background' piece.

Comment

bought 8 hamburgers and 1 double cheeseburger (10euro) in McDonald's on way home from a few too many afternoon pints yesterday. Ate them all. Would not recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by shano1888 View Post
                                                                                                    bought 8 hamburgers and 1 double cheeseburger (10euro) in McDonald's on way home from a few too many afternoon pints yesterday. Ate them all. Would not recommend.
                                                                                                    Was it the quality or the quantity or both?
                                                                                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
                                                                                                      Was it the quality or the quantity or both?
                                                                                                      Both. Velocity also a factor with average consumption around 90sec mark.

Comment

went here a couple weeks ago before my hols

usually very good basic food but that time i ordered confit duck and wife had bass and both were dry to the point of almost sending them back which I have only did once!

We decided there must have been some change of chef/management and discussed this with one of the regulars next day and he said he didnt think so but would find out. I informed the regular that I was unlikely to return as I was that disappointed.....

Guy I told called at house today and said he had spoken to manager and informed him that a friend of his and his family had a bad meal and were unlikely to return after being fairly regular customers.

Manager was upset at this and gave my pal an envelope and asked that he give it to me

It was a £50 gift/food voucher

Pretty good form from a small town establishment and obviously will return later to redeem it

Meals for wife and I and 2 kids with a glass of wine usually costs ~£50 so well happy

Gives one faith in human nature and will complain more often lol

Comment

Went to Fade St. social (The tapas part) on Saturday with the Mrs.

Had 2 dishes that were off the charts.

A crap toastie dish with duck egg bernaise sauce and a duck dish (breast and spring roll)

Would also recommend the chick pea polenta chips.

Sorry don't have time for a full review.

I would highly recommend it. Less than €100 with a bottle of wine and 1 dessert.
                                                                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

last minute get together?

Fuck. I can't make it due to wedding anniversary.....

No amount of bluffing would get me out with you degens instead of taking herself away for the weekend.

Comment

Would be keen.

Comment

Argh, off to Kilkenny for a stag this Friday, would've definitely been on for this though, was really enjoyable last time out. Surely you'll get another four willing IPBers though? Can't recommend the Chef's Table experience highly enough, it rocks!

Comment

Was reallly good last time but don't think I can make Friday unfortunately

Comment

in

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                      in
                                                                                                                      Anything to be said for chancing it? I'm sure 3 more would join. Would really love to try it.

Comment

I called there to book it but they are closed - I will email and say we are 3 and that we are looking for more ppl. If they haven't sold it already then they will likely snap our arm off.
                                                                                                                        Fantastic, cheers. Hope it works out.

Comment

Restaurant Name: Saba
                                                                                                                          Location: Clarendon Street, Dublin 2
                                                                                                                          Website: here
                                                                                                                          Price: €€€€

One of the more bizarre religions (OK, there are a lot of candidates) on the face of this planet is the Cao Dai, a strange amalgamation of beliefs that exists as a vehicle for its equally dotty adherents in Central Vietnam. Saints include Sun Yat-Sen, Joan of Arc and Victor Hugo. Some churches also include Elvis as a deity, which always puts me in mind of The Snapper and Colm Meaney declaiming "Elvis is God!". Maybe the scriptwriters had been to Saba for their dinner because it too is a strange agglomeration of restaurant, cocktail bar and celebrity 'destination'. What is Saba for? This basic question kept repeating itself to me as I sat there on a recent Saturday night outing - is it food, is it drink, is it a place for suburban ladies to imagine themselves reborn amidst the glow of its on-trend box-ticking?

None of the above I'm afraid. Much like the poor Cao Dai-ists, it's a well-meaning mess. We ventured in, booking secured (a difficult thing to do) and were somewhat nonplussed by the atmosphere, at half eight it was already rocking exuberantly in the slightly-desperate style of a small-town singles bar. With a degree of difficulty we squeezed into our small table and secured menus. I ordered drinks and some prawn crackers. Fifteen minutes later, I ordered them again. They arrived this time. Over the next couple of hours, we had soft-shell crabs, smoked trout mieng kam, spring rolls, beef fillet Vietnamese style, several cocktails and various other quare yokes. The cocktails saved the day, with the food universally being uninspired and tasting of nothing in particular. The trout was a particular lowlight, covered as it was with toasted (i.e. burnt) coconut that got unpleasantly stuck in one's teeth. Service was consistently atrocious.

If you like being in a loud room with drunken airheads who prefer style over substance, go here. If not, you'll get more authentic Asian food from your local takeaway.

3/10

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X