• Show
Clear All

You're welcome but.......

Steak?
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Restaurant Name: Good World Chinese

Price Range: €€

I don't think we've had a Dim Sum review in this thread before so here goes....I've been coming to the Good World for Dim Sum for about sixteen years now. I was first introduced to it by a former colleage, half-Irish, half-Chinese who would periodically announce that it was Dim Sum time and lead a band of us down from the IFSC to downtown. None of us sophisticates had the balls to admit that we hadn't an iota of a clue what Dim Sum was so we usually let him jabber away in Chinese to the waiter and soon mountains of food would appear in the centre of the table. Interesting buns, rolls, crispy things full of flavours and textures that we couldn't identify. Philip would never tell us the English names for these dishes which of course only added to the air of general exoticism and mystique that surrounded those meals. Poor guy tragically died a few years back and I always say a quiet hello to him whenever I'm in there.

Like yesterday. My sister is in town from Australia with her kids so in a rare spirit of brotherly feeling, I booked tickets for my older two (5 &3) and her eldest (3) to the Little Big club in the Olympia. For those lucky enough not to know what this is, it involves lots of cartoon characters appearing on stage and whipping the screaming, sugared-up audience into a frenzy of dancing, crying and general excitement. It was also Gay Pride day in town which led to some interesting questions from the kids when we emerged onto Dame Street hungry at about 4 o'clock. "Daddy, why is that man wearing a dress?" We informed them it was a fancy dress party and quickly ducked into the Good World.

Now most people familiar with the eating habits of small children would not imagine that Dim Sum would be a particularly suitable choice of repast. To which I respond 'fuck the kids, if they're hungry they'll eat anything'. Old Style Parenting (they actually love the Good World for reasons I will return to). As usual, the place was predominately populated by Chinese patrons. For anyone familiar with Chinese dining, this basically equates to a great big flashing sign that says "EAT HERE, DIS BE GUD" and probably explains why they don't feel the need for a website. The Sis took one look at her menu, closed it and said 'I think you'd better order'. I tried to look as though I knew what I was doing and randomly selected a bunch of Dim Sum dishes plus a plate of beef noodles to add some substance.

Within two minutes of ordering (this is one of the great benefits of Dim Sum, it's truly fast food), dishes began to arrive. Sesame prawn toast met with approval from all three kids as did the crispy squid, rolled in salt and pepper. Char Sui puffs met with looks of concern but once they tasted them, slid down a treat. Scallop dumplings were reserved for the adults, excellent dipped in the ludicrously hot chili sauce we were supplied with. Cheung Fun prawn rolls (which I describe as Chinese lasagna) just had too much noodle to be truly enjoyable and constituted the sole bum note. Ribs were spicy and sparse on meat but tasty nonetheless. The accompanying noodles were liberally sprinkled with sesame oil and a good idea for bulking out the meal a bit. The adults shared a pot of Chinese tea which is an ideal accompaniment. Once the kids got bored with eating, they started playing hide and seek. Nobody seemed to mind and the waiters invited them behind the bar counter where they got freebie ice creams handed out to them. Nice touch.

Damage was about fifty quid, we added a decent tip to cover the ruined tablecloth and carpet cleaning and retreated back to the streets where the cast of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert were queueing to withdraw cash from the ATM. I wonder what Joyce would make of Dublin now? He'd probably enjoy it.

8/10.
      Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 01-07-12, 11:25.

Comment

I don't know why I keep torturing myself by venturing into this thread. I'm not going get into any of these places soon. But i still need to eat, so i'll stick up my own review for the handful of antipodeans on board, and those that just food. You never know, Raoul Duke III might need a suggestion if he makes the trip down under to see the sister .

Restaurant Name: Waterfront Grill

Price Range: €€€

Ventured down to darling harbour Saturday night with the girlfriend for the fireworks and a feed. We couldn't get a table reserved but were told over the phone that they keep plenty of space walk ins. We left our name with the staff at the front desk and sat by the harbour steps for the fireworks. They lasted 10 or 15 minutes and were interesting enough considering its only a small weekly show for the tourists.
        Strolled 10m back to the door and were seated instantly. We opted to bring our own wine, and the wait staff were quick to bring over glasses and a bucket of ice, for a small corkage of course. I was tempted to indulge in a buffalo wings as a starter, but decided to skip as the mains were probably going to be huge.
        In stereotypical fashion I ordered the Kangaroo fillet and my girlfriend the half rack of pork ribs, with onion rings and mushroom sauce on he side. Kangaroo is something the features almost weekly at home for me, but this was the first time I'd ordered it dining out. For those that haven't tried it yet, its very similar to beef, very lean with a slightly stronger flavour. I order it medium-rare and it arrived cooked exactly as I like with mash potatoes and a tomato and capsicum sauce. The fillet was excellent but highlight was the sauce, just spicy enough without overpowering. The ribs were very good. Nice and big, basted in a BBQ sauce with a small portion of fries. A bowl of water, and one for bones would of been handy but we made do with napkins. The onion rings were average and pretty forgettable. They served their purpose of getting the delicious mushroom sauce to my mouth and that's about it really.
        For some reason the desserts aren't on the website menu, anyone with a sweet tooth considering a visit, rest assured the dessert menu does exist and it looks good. I didn't want to ruin a great meal for forcing a desert into me, and instead kept some for a pint or two afterwards.

Would gladly return.
        8/10

Comment

Restaurant Name: The Green House
          Website www.bleu.ie
          Price Range: €€€€€ (i don't know if these euros are worth what they once were)

A surprise freebie lunch at a restaurant of your choice paid for by a third party is a nice thing indeed and so it was off to The Green House on Dawson Street, yards from the Mansion House that we fetched up today.

Proprietor Eamonn O’Reilly is surely pitching for a Michelin star with the food at the new addition to his stable which includes One Pico and The Box Tree.

And Dutch chef Mickael Viljanen delivers.

I didn’t take a pic of the menu so as to be exact about what we ate but I can say that the girolle veloute with beef cheek cannelloni (deep yet sharp) and asparagus and crab starters (buttery fresh) were fantastic.

The lamb neck and pea puree and cod and carrot mains were pictures to behold (but we argy-bargied about who would take the picture and didn’t bother in the end, content to just look at them half whispering to ourselves “awww man… look at that… what is that…)

They dishes went down accordingly. Fine food to compare with any of Ireland’s current crop of great/innovative chefs.

A shared chocolate tart with toffee, apricot and some creams followed by a cheese plate - perfunctorily described so I didn’t get the names and they were a little underwhelming for the €8 surcharge – sealed the deal.

A bottle of semillion and a couple of coffees and it rocked in at €125 including tip.

The service needs to improve though. I don’t want to be too critical, as we enjoyed the food so much, but one or two staff seemed to let the team down in terms of positivity. They have a very cramped service area to work from and that could do with improvement.

Overall the food was original and delightful - both in taste and appearance - and I already want to go back for a seven-course dinner, despite the few niggles that need to be ironed out.

PS... here's some pics from a tripadvisor user (not me!)
          Last edited by BennyHiFi; 10-07-12, 23:32.

Comment

must stick up me review of 777.
            Keep putting it off
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

must stick up me review of 777.
              Keep putting it off
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

I was kinda joking...no way I'd be let go without the mrs. especially after shunning her when I went to Thornton's!

Comment

OK put me down as a maybe for a 2nd trip then.

Comment

OP updated with the latest lot of reviews

Comment

I wanna go!!!
                      Her sky-ness
                      © 5starpool

Comment

I'd be on for an IPB night, probably won't go again with the missus (twice in the last year is enough on that front, plenty of other restaurants for us to try out there!) - if anyone gets a voucher for the IPB night in October and needs a second, you can count me in and I'm good for my half

Comment

I'm gonna take the missus again, have to really after using her CC

Comment

Originally posted by Loopz View Post
                            I'm gonna take the missus again, have to really after using her CC
                            Darn thought you were gonna take me
                            Her sky-ness
                            © 5starpool

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

In obv. I got a voucher just now. I'll assume señor RDIII will join us so I'll stick him down as my plus one as he's in Whaaaterford at the mo.
                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 18-07-12, 11:31.

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 19-07-12, 10:20.

Comment

Restaurant Name: Dada Moroccan Restaurant

Price Range: €€

Went here with a fairly low expectation after hearing from work colleagues that the food was ok and portions were small. Arrived at 8.25 and the place was fairly jammed for a Thursday night. Got offered a fairly pokey table (for 2) and asked if we could have the one in the corner (set for 3). No problem at all and it was much more comfortable.

I went for grilled Merguez sausages with spicy minced lamb and onions for starter. Wife didn't want a starter so we shared. There was plenty for two but it was rather bland tbh and there was no spice whatsoever to it.

We both went for Tagines for main course, me the Lamb with green beans and harissa, wife for chicken with olives and saffron potatoes. Also got a side order of home made chips (after being told of small portions). I can honestly say I haven't had a tastier dish in a long time. Although again there was no spice from the harissa, the lamb was melt in your mouth and there was loads of it in the tagine. Wife's chicken was equally as good and we swapped plates about 3/4 times without complaining. Dishes came with some bread to dip into the tagines and both plates were wiped clean at the end. The home made chips were actually deep fried wedges but it was hard to complain about them considering the tagines were so good. They were used for extra soakage!! I had a beer and we got a bottle of filtered water between us (€2).

Didn't go for dessert but they didn't look exceptional at the table next to us. I hate being so positive about a place without trying it once or twice but I will def be back in the near future.

Bill came to a very reasonable €54 (without tip) and we left stuffed, which made a joke of the earlier story about small portions.

The one thing I would say is that its probably my first Moroccan meal so maybe others would not feel as positive about it but I would like to hear others opinions.

Comment

Not really full-on reviews as such but a few notes from various places in Dunmore East. I would recommend DE to anyone btw (despite the obvious handicap of being located in Waaherford), lovely town and nice beaches. Naturally the kids favourite moment of the holiday was the hellhole that is the Tramore 'amusements' .

Strand Inn: you can walk out of the sea up to this place, order a pint and some chowder on a beautiful terrace with amzing views. How could anyone possibly get this wrong?
                                          The guys running this place could.
                                          Mediocre food, poor presentation and, crime of all crimes, the Guinness tasted soapy on a few occasions. Bar food priced OK and you could make a case for it I suppose. Restaurant prices were outrageous (€12 for a starter of deep-fried brie, WTF?). Service was pretty good though and the waitresses were generally very attractive (surfers?).

5/10.

The Spinnaker: I think KevIRL recommended this place. It bills itself as a seafood bar. The four women of the party went there one night and the four men the next so we covered most of the possible bases. Unfortunately we again met with general disappointment (and bizarre pricing, 10 quid for chowder ). Two of the guys ordered steaks and were left most unhappy. I probably had the bext experience with a fisherman's pie that was both massive and reasonably tasty. Similar to the Strand Inn, I had the feeling that non-professionals were in the kitchen, blindly following instructions on a wall chart (I did this for a summer once).
                                          The pints were very good though and again, service was very friendly.

6/10

The Lemon Tree Cafe: despite never once sitting down to eat in this place, it was certainly the outstanding food in Dunmore. We discovered this late on in the holiday and from that point, I think every meal we ate was bought from their deli. They cover all the deli dishes well, cold dishes (their mackerel and smoked salmon terrine was superb), salads, cakes and main meals. Really good value too, I bought lunch for 14 people there one day and was nearly knocked sideways by the (low) price. The fact that they are located away from the main tourist drag probably helps in this regard. Good wine selection too.

8/10

Comment

Comment

Restaurant Name: Dinner by Heston
                                              Website www.dinnerbyheston.com/
                                              Price Range: €€€€€

Haven't written a review before but I'll give it a lash here. Had booked this a few months ago when planning a trip over to the Olympics and it didn't disappoint. It's Heston Blumenthal's second restaurant and has passed the Fat Duck in the World Restaurant Awards (#s 9 and 13 respectively)

The restaurant is located in the fancy Mandarin Oriental hotel in Knightsbridge, the interior is very modern with a huge glass window allowing diners to look into the kitchen. The atmosphere was lively with a relaxed dress code making it a little less stuffy than any other top restaurant I had visited. Service was top notch, waiters extremely friendly and helpful, explaining the history of each dish as it was presented.

The menu is short with a brief history of the origin of all dishes.. I went for the meat fruit starter (probably the signature dish) which comes out as a mandarin next to a slice of brioche. Slicing open the mandarin the interior is a smooth chicken liver parfait, serious presentation. The dish was lovely but maybe overpowered a little by the orange exterior. Herself went for the nettle porridge which was made up of two lovely bits of cod in a nettle, fennel and beetroot soup. I had a small bit for research purposes and it was unreal. 1-0 to her after the starter.

For mains I was severly tempted to go for the steak (ribeye or fillet) but I thought fuck it I can get a nice steak anywhere so went for the Pork Chop with a side of mash. Without a doubt the nicest main course I've had anywhere. The pork was melt in the mouth soft with a delicious sauce (Robert sauce it was called, never had it before but I'll be having it again) with ham hock and crispy lardons on the side. Delicious. The wife went for Turbot which she raved about. I had a taste and it was very good but no doubt the scores were back to 1-1 after the pork chop.

For dessert the waiter had recommended the Tipsy Cake when taking our order (it had to be ordered 45 mins before dessert course) so I went for that and spent the next half an hour raging with myself for not picking the chocolate. Luckily the Tipsy Cake was lovely, a really soft brioche with toffee sauce and a portion of deliciously soft pineapple. The wife went for Taffety Tart which was good but no match for mine. 2-1 to the comeback kid.

There was an option to get an ice cream cone after dessert from a trolley where the chef would make the ice cream in front of you but we passed. After asking for the bill the waiters brought out a little amuse bouche (or whatever you call the dessert version) of a little orange chocolate mousse. Really light and delicious and a nice way to end the meal.

The bill came to £205 including optional 12.5% service charge (which seems to be included as standard on all bills in London), 3 beers and 3 glasses of wine. Overall probably the best meal I've ever had and would not hesitate to recommend it to IPBers.

Comment

Sounds like great value.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                  Have booked Cliff House for dinner on Tuesday evening next. I'm looking forward to it!!
                                                  Ardmore or Stephen's Green?

Comment

Ardmore.

I'm also going to The Tannery in Dungarvan as recommended by IPB'er The Istanbul.
                                                    I thought your post looked a bit over-excitable for a mere trip into Stephen's Green! Enjoy, I'll be down that way in a few weeks myself and will be going there for lunch so awaiting your review with interest.

Comment

Had a couple of meals about the place recently, gotta do a post with a short review of these sometime this week. Love the sound of that Heston place, was thinking about that time we did the two nice restaurants in one day there, but it probably deserves to have a day (or week) to itself!

Comment

Restaurant Name: Bang

Website: http://www.bangrestaurant.com/

Super turbo review because I couldn't be bothered writing more: Went here on living social deal which was two 7-course tasting menus for the price of one (€39). Was a last minute decision so ditched the baby and headed in for 7pm.

Course 1: Buffalo Mozzarella and sundried tomato...grand

Course 2: Smoked salmon with cucumber and radish and salmon tartare...bit meh.

Course 3: Scallops with ginger foam and crab ravioli...not bad

Course 4: Foie Gras, ballentine, new season cherries, verjus, gingerbread crisp..mixing foie gras with sweet things is heresy imo.

Course 5: Roast lamb rump, crispy sweetbreads, putanesca, aubergine, mint jus..really good but needs a carb.

Course 6: Cheese, grapes, truffle honey, crackers....truffle honey was lovely

Course 7: Some sort of chocolate cake with mango sorbet...sorbet was gorgeous and offset the chocolate well which was good because I find chocolate very heavy.

The service was atrocious...at one point we had only had one course in the space of an hour. The American couple beside us had been there an hour and hadn't got their main yet. He threatened them saying 'either the bill of the food, you have 5 minutes' which they used all of, and then brought out pathetic looking food that had been sitting under heat lamps for god knows how long.

If you're going here expect a wait, but €39 for the food is good even if the portions were a little tight. I'd say I'll be hungry again in an hour.
                                                        Last edited by Guest; 16-08-12, 21:56.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                          Course 4: Foie Gras, ballentine, new season cherries, verjus, gingerbread crisp..mixing foie gras with sweet things is heresy imo..
                                                          this is 100% standard

Sauternes and foie gras is one of great classical food\wine pairings

edit: this is not a defence of the Stokes bros.
                                                          Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 16-08-12, 22:53.

Comment

OP updated with the latest lot of reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                              this is 100% standard

I believe Bang is under new management since they lost the place. Only ate at Bang once when the Stokes were running the place and I thought the service (and pricing) were ott. Can't comment on the current setup.
                                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                I believe Bang is under new management since they lost the place. Only ate at Bang once when the Stokes were running the place and I thought the service (and pricing) were ott. Can't comment on the current setup.
                                                                Bang is now owned by bobby Kerr, have not been since he took over, food was always reasonable but not outstanding for what they were charging.
                                                                His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

this is 100% standard

Ah yeah I know it's common, but I don't approve. Prefer it with truffle oil/ brioche type setup.

Comment

Good read, although i prefer when its a better outcome! Is there conditions with the michelin star that you have to upkeep it or you lose it. I mean whats to stop a restuarant cooking gread food earning the star and getting lazy after they have earned it?
                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

I am as far from a gastrophile as one could possible imagine, but I really enjoy reading your restaurant reviews GAB.

Comment

Waterford gets shat on again

Is it The Tannery for you tomorrow night Noel?

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                          Waterford gets shat on again

Is it The Tannery for you tomorrow night Noel?
                                                                          I'm downgrading all my recent resteraunt experiences due to lack of narrative!

Anyone been to An Port Mhor in Westport? Was there 2 weeks ago for a post reek meal and thought it was excellent

Comment

Its things like your edit which im wondering. If the same chef isnt even there they should hardly be any allowed to carry the star any longer
                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

no blaa on the cheese board?
                                                                              48

Comment

In fairness Hayes you are owning this thread. Great work.

Comment

Restaurant Name: The Tannery

Location: Dungarvan, Co Waterford.

Website: www.TheTannery.ie

Price Range: €€€€

I have to admit that I had never heard of The Tannery but when somebody who knew I was going to be in the area gave me a recommendation I decided I better heed their advice and check it out. I did a bit of research and discovered that the boss man, Paul Flynn, co hosts a tv show with the boss man from Fishy Fishy in Kinsale - that was pretty much enough for me as I had been there and loved it. It was also noteworthy that the Tannery was of such stature that it provided cooking classes to the masses.

I feared the worst when I entered through the door and made way towards the downstairs reception area. The front of house had picked up the phone as we entered and despite seeing us enter turned her back on me without acknowledging me or gesturing that she would be with me in a minute. I stood and waited, without acknowledgement, when eventually after a couple of minutes a waiter came from upstairs and took us to our table. I really hoped that this was not to be indicative of the visit and thankfully I can report that this occurrence was an outlier on the evening.

The dining room is upstairs, it is bright and spacious with a high ceiling. It has bronze figurines of pigs and cows in random places as well as a circular cow hide on the wall. I found it very comfortable with lots of space between the tables.

To start I opted for Lamb Rillette which was served on a bed of some sort of cold ratatouille (but not a ratatouille). It was quite hot on the palate and I felt the heat was too strong for the softer flavours of the lamb. That said it was an interesting dish. Having eaten it once I wouldn't order it again, not as it was a bad dish but it just didn't do so much for me that I would count it as being a memorable must eat again dish. The missus opted for a roulade of smoked Salmon which was reported to be exceptional.

For main my missus went for Surf & Turf, albeit a non traditional offering of the course. It was Scallops served with Serrano Ham and Pea Purée. It looked exceptionally well on the plate and the report matched the view. I opted for slow cooked pork belly with fennel (an actual lump of fennel rather than a purée) and carrot and a tuna mayonnaise. I am a fan of pork and this was a good offering. I will admit that the fennel was a little left of centre. It is a strong flavour so I only had a little of it but it does go very well with pork.

One of the highlights of the meal were the side dishes. We were served with some excellent baby potatoes that seemed to be smothered in butter and garlic. These seemed to be part of the deal and if you wanted other sides you could choose from a list of Chips or Carrots. That's it folks. Chips or Carrots. We went for both. The chips were excellent, small and crispy and full of flavour. The carrots were exceptional. They were large chunks, very tender and with exceptional flavour. I enquired as to their heritage and was told that they were cooked in chicken stock and then mixed with cumin. This was one of the most memorable side orders of veg I have ever eaten and I am keen to try them out myself at home.

For desert I had the special from off the menu which was a Chocolate Truffle Cake with honeycomb and crème anglaise. This desert was a real find. It had excellent texture and flavour and had just the right amount of honeycomb and cream to see its way to the last bite. The deserts listed on the menu were €9 so when this appeared on the bill at €7.50 I would have no choice but to rate it as an exceptionally great value for money course when compared to what most places will charge you for desert.

I didn't go for vino as I didn't fancy it, the missus had a carafe of red and I washed it all down with a Midleton Whisky. The bill came to €113. After a slow start I left the place very impressed. The setting is excellent and some of the courses were right up there. I would happily recommend the place to anybody who happened to be in the area.
                                                                                  I was there a year ago. Great value on Tuesday for €40 a head (before wine) for the standard of food. Had the same dessert when I was there. Off the charts.
                                                                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                    In fairness Hayes you are owning this thread. Great work.
                                                                                    Well said V. Also OP now updated with GAB's latest trio of reviews.

Comment

Like others in the thread, it would be rare I would eat in these places (though I thoroughly enjoy it when I do) but I really like reading these reviews. wp.

Comment

Restaurant Name: The Tannery

Location: Dungarvan, Co Waterford.

Website: www.TheTannery.ie

I have to admit that I had never heard of The Tannery but when somebody who knew I was going to be in the area gave me a recommendation I decided I better heed their advice and check it out. I did a bit of research and discovered that the boss man, Paul Flynn, co hosts a tv show with the boss man from Fishy Fishy in Kinsale - that was pretty much enough for me as I had been there and loved it. It was also noteworthy that the Tannery was of such stature that it provided cooking classes to the masses.

I feared the worst when I entered through the door and made way towards the downstairs reception area. The front of house had picked up the phone as we entered and despite seeing us enter turned her back on me without acknowledging me or gesturing that she would be with me in a minute. I stood and waited, without acknowledgement, when eventually after a couple of minutes a waiter came from upstairs and took us to our table. I really hoped that this was not to be indicative of the visit and thankfully I can report that this occurrence was an outlier on the evening.

The dining room is upstairs, it is bright and spacious with a high ceiling. It has bronze figurines of pigs and cows in random places as well as a circular cow hide on the wall. I found it very comfortable with lots of space between the tables.

To start I opted for Lamb Rillette which was served on a bed of some sort of cold ratatouille (but not a ratatouille). It was quite hot on the palate and I felt the heat was too strong for the softer flavours of the lamb. That said it was an interesting dish. Having eaten it once I wouldn't order it again, not as it was a bad dish but it just didn't do so much for me that I would count it as being a memorable must eat again dish. The missus opted for a roulade of smoked Salmon which was reported to be exceptional.

For main my missus went for Surf & Turf, albeit a non traditional offering of the course. It was Scallops served with Serrano Ham and Pea Purée. It looked exceptionally well on the plate and the report matched the view. I opted for slow cooked pork belly with fennel (an actual lump of fennel rather than a purée) and carrot and a tuna mayonnaise. I am a fan of pork and this was a good offering. I will admit that the fennel was a little left of centre. It is a strong flavour so I only had a little of it but it does go very well with pork.

One of the highlights of the meal were the side dishes. We were served with some excellent baby potatoes that seemed to be smothered in butter and garlic. These seemed to be part of the deal and if you wanted other sides you could choose from a list of Chips or Carrots. That's it folks. Chips or Carrots. We went for both. The chips were excellent, small and crispy and full of flavour. The carrots were exceptional. They were large chunks, very tender and with exceptional flavour. I enquired as to their heritage and was told that they were cooked in chicken stock and then mixed with cumin. This was one of the most memorable side orders of veg I have ever eaten and I am keen to try them out myself at home.

For desert I had the special from off the menu which was a Chocolate Truffle Cake with honeycomb and crème anglaise. This desert was a real find. It had excellent texture and flavour and had just the right amount of honeycomb and cream to see its way to the last bite. The deserts listed on the menu were €9 so when this appeared on the bill at €7.50 I would have no choice but to rate it as an exceptionally great value for money course when compared to what most places will charge you for desert.

I didn't go for vino as I didn't fancy it, the missus had a carafe of red and I washed it all down with a Midleton Whisky. The bill came to €113. After a slow start I left the place very impressed. The setting is excellent and some of the courses were right up there. I would happily recommend the place to anybody who happened to be in the area.
                                                                                        Good to hear you liked most aspects Noel (was the front of house person a 40-something blonde btw?). Agree on the quality of your review writing-simply excellent!

Comment

Restaurant Name: Blairscove House

Location: Durrus, Bantry, Co Cork.

Website: www.blairscove.ie

Blairscove is a Country house that has been operating as B&B and Restaurant for over 30 years. I visited the restaurant on a busy Saturday evening recently. The location is in a stunning part of West Cork looking back over Dunmanus bay at the Sheeps Head Peninsula.
                                                                                          On arrival we were greeted by the owner and seen to a lounge area and offered drinks to go with the excellent quality pistachiao and olive selection of nibbles as we read the menu. The way they operate the menu is slightly unusual, dishes are not individually priced instead the menu is priced at €46 for two courses and €58 for three, there are no starter or desert menu's instead there is a buffet from which you visit once.
                                                                                          This buffet is no pizza hut salad bar though, after you are seated the cold buffet chef, there are separate chef's for starters main course and desert, brings you to the buffet which is in the middle of the dining room where you are talked through the extensive selection. Oysters, prawns, three types of pate, Thai duck salad, gravlax marinated in vodka and dill, sushi, butter bean with harissa, brawn, salami and the highlight for me was the pickled herrings. I'm sure I've left out a number of dishes and the problem here was too much choice but there was very little problem with the quality of the food, each dish that I tried was comprised of the finest ingredients though some of the execution was a little disappointing. The potato salad and devilled eggs paled in comparison to the ones I do myself at home. The home made brown bread that was available to go with the starter plate was fantastically light and tasty and real butter was served.
                                                                                          The mains are as on the website menu but I was taken by the specials on offer and found it hard to choose between a pepper crusted monkfish or a whole sea bass eventually opting for the latter while herself ordered the Cod which was a lovely dish lifted to excellence by the accompaniment a perfect asparagus tempura. The seabass baked simply and perfetly with rosemary and seasalt was served with a salsa and a burre blanc. The fish itself was so delicious that I hardly used any of the sauce.

The wine list was fairly extensive and had a good selection of bottles in the €20 - 30 range.
                                                                                          Service was attentive and discreet there are a lot of staff on call for a busy night but no sign of any fuss or bother, a pianist played discreetly and unobtrusively though one woman was moved to start applauding him louder and louder as each tune glass of wine passed. The head chef cooks most of the main courses at a station laid out in the corner of the dining room, we sat at the other end of the room and I'm not sure if I'd have rather been at a table beside him or not.

Again deserts are from a buffet, there is a huge selection available, I would usually go for cheese over a sweet desert but having a quick glance at the cheese selection it seemed to pale into insignificance beside the huge brightly coloured selection of creamy, fruity sweet things. It would be easy even with the one plate to make a pig of yourself at this stage and of course I did! The most memorable things were a soft meringue and a caramel custard, a tiny slice of blueberry flan that I saved for having with my coffee (included in the 3 course price) was a total Mr Creosote moment and even with my voracious appetite I had eaten too much.

All in all this place is one of the nicest restaurants I've visited in a while and I would highly recommend Blairscove, I'll look forward to booking break there it would be a beautiful spot for a quiet weekend away in the off season.

Last edited by Strewelpeter; 28-08-12, 11:43.
                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

As there have been 2 reviews already for l'ecrivain, I'm a little hesitant to add another.
                                                                                            Suffice to say, it was probably one of the best meals I've ever eaten.
                                                                                            We rounded off the fine dining night with a few drinks in Lillie Bordellos where I mistaken for Jack Black, Zach Galifianakis, the drummer from some band and some dude off the X Factor one for each cigarette excursion.
                                                                                            Last edited by DeadParrot; 28-08-12, 11:47.

Comment

Restaurant Name: Fishy Fishy

Location: Kinsale, Co Cork.

Website: www.fishyfishy.ie

I'm not going to do a full review of the place but other than My Bro in law whose tastes I utterly mistrust (He comes to my house for a meal I spend hours preparing and dumps 15g of salt all over his food before he even tastes it ) but following a recommendation from Gimmeabreak and hapening to end up in Kinsale I called on spec on a Sunday afternoon for lunch and was told they could look after me in 30 minutes.

Service was unfussy and I found the whole place refreshingly unpretentious, loads of families with children yet there was a full a la carte menu available.

I had their chowder for a starter which was also refreshingly not a thick creamy fish sauce, instead I got a very tasty broth that while tomato based was full of rich flavours of the sea. Very nice and I'd go back for that alone but it was nothing when set beside the simple genius of the main course.
                                                                                              Here's a picture which won't do it justice but will give you some idea of whats involved.

Its from their daily specials menu and was described if I remember correctly as Plaice with creamed beetroot served with a salsa verde and citrus cream.
                                                                                              Obviously its still the most recent of the great dishes I've eaten but I doubt it will ever leave the top ten. It was perfect in every detail.

The plaice was at least 4 maybe more small fillets cooked to perfection crisply fried without any residual fats. The salsa verde had basil, parsley, a few tiny capers and minuscule pieces of red onion and sweet pepper in a top quality olive oil that generously filled the plate. The citrus cream was simply and perfectly creamy and citrusy. But the creamed beetroot was magnificent, shredded and braised with sugar and vinegar and finished with something creamy, maybe creme fraiche I don't know I have never come across something that was such a perfect accompaniment to beautiful fresh fish.

Starters and mains served with salad , coffees and sparking water for two came to €60 the plaice dish was priced at €19.50 - there is no way I could buy that much fresh fish from my local expensive fishmonger and prepare it with all those ingredients at home for that price.
                                                                                              Exceptional meal and exceptional value I can't wait to go back for more.
                                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

I'm not going to do a full review of the place but other than My Bro in law whose tastes I utterly mistrust (He comes to my house for a meal I spend hours preparing and dumps 15g of salt all over his food before he even tastes it ) but following a recommendation from Gimmeabreak and hapening to end up in Kinsale I called on spec on a Sunday afternoon for lunch and was told they could look after me in 30 minutes.

Service was unfussy and I found the whole place refreshingly unpretentious, loads of families with children yet there was a full a la carte menu available.

I had their chowder for a starter which was also refreshingly not a thick creamy fish sauce, instead I got a very tasty broth that while tomato based was full of rich flavours of the sea. Very nice and I'd go back for that alone but it was nothing when set beside the simple genius of the main course.
                                                                                                Here's a picture which won't do it justice but will give you some idea of whats involved.

Its from their daily specials menu and was described if I remember correctly as Plaice with creamed beetroot served with a salsa verde and citrus cream.
                                                                                                Obviously its still the most recent of the great dishes I've eaten but I doubt it will ever leave the top ten. It was perfect in every detail.

The plaice was at least 4 maybe more small fillets cooked to perfection crisply fried without any residual fats. The salsa verde had basil, parsley, a few tiny capers and minuscule pieces of red onion and sweet pepper in a top quality olive oil that generously filled the plate. The citrus cream was simply and perfectly creamy and citrusy. But the creamed beetroot was magnificent, shredded and braised with sugar and vinegar and finished with something creamy, maybe creme fraiche I don't know I have never come across something that was such a perfect accompaniment to beautiful fresh fish.

Starters and mains served with salad , coffees and sparking water for two came to €60 the plaice dish was priced at €19.50 - there is no way I could buy that much fresh fish from my local expensive fishmonger and prepare it with all those ingredients at home for that price.
                                                                                                Excellent review Tony... We were in Kinsale 2 years ago, and to be honest, I wasn't too keen on the thoughts of it, ...... but I have to say, you will go a very long way in this day and age to find a gem anywhere near it.
                                                                                                The whole atmosphere in the town, the scenery, the harbour cruise,honeycombs with breakfast, the walking tour,the gift shops, and the highlight of it all was going to Fishy Fishy and having the nicest meal we've had in a long time, all from watching the TV program.

Martin Shanahan really put Kinsale on the map, and he really has one of the best fish restaurants in the country.

Comment

Restaurant Name: La Cave

Location: South Anne Street, Dublin 2

Website: here

La Cave is a bit of an institution. So is the Central Mental Hospital and the two places share a common trait; they are both damn hard to get out of. Situated centrally on the busy South Anne Street, La Cave is one of those places that's been around for years, they've seen tigers come and go and have seen no reason to change their own stripes. It also has one great advantage for those poker players who like a drop of vinuous sustenance - it's literally around the corner from the Sporting Emporium. So much so that when I dropped in on a wet Thursday a few weeks back the lady behind the bar asked were my friends coming in as well (she meant Gimmeabreak and Solksjaer ). Wondering what the fuck we had gotten up to on our last visit a couple of years back to make her remember so vividly, I haughtily replied that I moved in more sophisticated circles these days and my sole requirement was a table for one (sad bastard that I am).

La Cave does one thing really well and, as befits a joint that styles itself as a 'wine bar', that would be grape juice. The wine list is seriously impressive, listing hundreds of wines. The primary focus is on France but the rest of the world gets a decent run-through, all wine regions being well represented without the markups that cause me to suck my teeth in pain in so many other places. Example; Diemersfontein Pinotage for €47 - I've seen this listed for over €70 in another place. You could quite easily come here for the wine alone, order a plate of cheese and charcuterie and happily allow the world to wash across your palate for a few hours. As I have done on quite a few occasions.

Being made of sterner stuff and mindful of the requirements for full reviewing that this thread dictates, I requested the menu. I don't really know why I bothered with this as I then proceeded to order the same thing as I always do here; Connemara mussels to start followed by the confit of duck. A very generous glass of Muscadet arrived within seconds of ordering and I was free to contemplate my surroundings. La Cave attempts a French cellar vibe and largely succeeds, probably because it's French and located in a cellar. The mandatory jazz accompaniment of some throaty French bird was a pleasing aural background. Lights are muted, posters and pictures on the wall summon up images of la belle France. On the downside, the tables are somewhat cramped, not that I gave a crap in my glorious solitude. Years of business travelling gave me a taste for dining alone that I will probably never lose; there is a lot to be said for pulling out a book, slurping some vino and allowing skilled professionals to serve you food on someone else's dime. Maybe I should write a book about it.

In any case, the food came and went. Bistro classics, done well. The mussels were in a creamy, garlicky sauce that begged to be mopped up with bread. They may have been a bit on the small side which doesn't bother me too much but might offend some. The duck was a generous portion of falling-apart meat, with a rich port sauce. I washed this down with another generous glass of Cotes du Rhone, closed my eyes and tasted France. Reverie. And then snapped out of it as the American lady three tables away was busy telling her date (and everyone else within a ten-mile radius) why her marriage had broken up. The couple at the next table and I shared a smile and a glance that said 'we know exactly why'. I ordered a decent espresso, called for 'l'addition' and got the hell out for approximately forty quid.

Service was quintessentially French by which I mean an attitude that said 'I've been doing this shit for years and I know better than you what's what'. My choices seemed to pass some kind of silent approval test although I detected significant inward distress at the American lady's choice of wine. La Cave is constancy in a world gone mad and there's nothing wrong with that. It would be easy to accuse the food part of the house of lacking imagination but why mess with a winning formula? Combine this with the exceptional wine list and you have a recipe for enduring success.

7.5/10

Comment

I am doing a GAB this weekend and embarking on a culinary tour. Campagne in Kilkenny for Saturday lunch, Ardleigh House for dinner\breakfast and A Caviston in Greystones for Sunday lunch.

And then to the exercise bike for a month.

Comment

Turbo review time now:

Restaurant Name: San Lorenzo

Location: George's Street, Dublin 2

Website: here

I was in this place two weeks ago with a gang of ten, celebrating some important birthday or other. I had no idea what to expect never having heard of the place, and indeed never having heard of half the people at the table. Going in with these low expectations, I was not prepared at all for the level of food that I was pleasantly surprised by. I was feeling fishy (no poker jokes please) so went with 'Char-grilled squid with pancetta, borlotti beans, smoked tomato & oregano' for a starter. Squid is an easy thing to screw up and turn into the consistency of rubber; luckily this pitfall was expertly avoided and what I got was a triumph. Loud flavours yelling from the plate 'notice me!', rich bean and tomato base with the stuffed squid sitting on top. This food really impressed and depressed me; impressed because it was so innovative with simple ingredients yet depressed because cooking like this is so rare in contemporary Dublin.

I kept going with the fishy theme for my main; I can't remember what it was billed as but it was a collection of seafood - hake, mussels, prawns and clams all perched on top of an incredibly flavoursome risotto, specked through little flavour explosions of chorizo. I do recall expressions of jealousy from my fellow diners. From ten starters and ten mains, there was not one bad word for the food. Which is more than can be said for the service which was pretty haphazard throughout what was an admittedly busy Saturday evening. Several times we had to remind the waitress for things which was somewhat irritating.

I had a cherry and almond tart for dessert and enjoyed it so much that I nearly stabbed an interloper who requested a bite. Espresso was average. This place isn't cheap with starters weighing in around 10-12 euro and mains in the 25-30 range but I am willing to allow that it represents value for money.

This place has a 'mission statement' on their website which is somewhat pretentious but worthy of noting here:

San Lorenzo’s is a modern Italian New York Style Restaurant. We serve an original variety of food, fusing a modern Italian approach to cuisine with the hallmarks of New York style cooking. This modern Italian New York style restaurant serves intensely original food with a north and south Italian mix.
                                                                                                      I would say they live up to this more than adequately. The 'chef patron' is Temple Garner who previously worked at Town Bar and Grill. I would place this slightly above there, which was one of my favourites.

8.5\10

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

THe original Fishy fishy cafe was without a doubt my favorite restaurant in Ireland. I went there for the first time in 2004. it was 5-6 tables crammed in the fishmongers front of house. it had 2 or 3 starters and main courses and that was it, but it was sublime. You couldn't book or anything and just had to queue for an hour in the hope of getting a table by 2pm. Went there 3 times, but didn't get a table once after having driven like a lunatic from Kenmare having decided that morning i wanted lunch there. It was tiny and you had to suck your stomach in when queuing so that regular shoppers could get to the fish counter. I've been to the new one 2-3 times also and love the food there, but the original fishmonger's cafe had so much charm and authenticity. it really was something special.

Comment

I am doing a GAB this weekend and embarking on a culinary tour. Campagne in Kilkenny for Saturday lunch, Ardleigh House for dinner\breakfast and A Caviston in Greystones for Sunday lunch.

foiled in this regard; 'we don't open on Sundays' (why would you not if you were a restauranteur? )

The Hungry Monk instead

Comment

I'm off to L'Ecrivan tonight. I am looking forward to it.
                                                                                                            Instead of buying new pans. I like it.

Comment

foiled in this regard; 'we don't open on Sundays' (why would you not if you were a restauranteur? )

The Hungry Monk instead
                                                                                                              Had dinner in the bistro there a month ago. Very average by even my low standards. Terrible service to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                                                                                Had dinner in the bistro there a month ago. Very average by even my low standards. Terrible service to boot.
                                                                                                                Something to look forward to

Fuck it, have only heard good things before

Comment

Something to look forward to

Fuck it, have only heard good things before
                                                                                                                  In fairness so had I and maybe I got them on a bad night.

When I think about it the food was grand, the service was so fucking woeful though it ruined the night. Having to order WATER no less than 3 times as we sit there with nothing to drink is absolutely inexcusable to me.

Comment

Putting Galway on the food map

Restaurant Name: Aniar

Location: Dominick Street, Galway

Website: www.aniarrestaurant.ie

Price Range: (from 1 to 5 €€€€€) €€€€

Review:

Haven't been eating out much since the baby was born but as the inlaws are over visiting we took the oppurtunity to go out for a good meal.

Went to Aniar for the 4 course tasting menu (€40pp) with matching wines (€20pp). We have eaten here before with other couples and always been impressed but never had the chance for the tasting menu before due to some fussy eaters (entire table has to take tasting menu as is standard in most places). Prices on the a la carte are approx €10 for starters, €25-28 for mains.

Arrived at 7.30 and was given the choice of available 2 seater tables, jackets taken and hung by the waiter. Its a fairly small place, seats about 30 total if all tables are full, simple decor and furniture.

Amuse bouche was a crispy croquette filled with delicious duck leg confit served with a dried cabbage leaf with dots of scallop roe mousse.

Selection of breads promptly brought to table and carafe of water.

Starter was a selection of pickled vegetables, slices of carrot, cucumber, beetroot, golden beet and kohlrabi (cross between cabbage and turnip it seems) with dots of smoked cheese. All pickling and smoking was done by the chefs on the premises (over several weeks in light vinegar water with rose petals for the vegetables). Very light pickling, delicate flavours. Served with a glass of prosecco with went beautifully with the dish.

Fish course was scallops and pork belly (cooked over 24 hours), served on a black pudding mousse with dried cauliflower, pea shoots and cauliflower puree. Served with a glass of west coast Italian white whose name escapes me (.

Main was beef short ribs (no bones) served with steamed onion, braised baby leek, spinach smear, pickled elderberry, cauliflower puree and a beautiful beef jus. Offered a side of potatoes but passed on these. Served with a glass of Nero d'avola from sicily.

Dessert was end of season strawberries, strawberry and rhubarb meringue, Irish mascarpone, viola flowers and a strawberry liquor. Served with a German honeyed Reisling.

Nice espresso with home made petit fours (fudge, marshmallow, butter biscuit wafer).

All in all a fantastic meal, great value imo for the quality of food received, accompanying wines were well selected. Waiters give an extensive narritive with all course from cooking/preparation techniques to suppliers of meat and veg. Total cost €125 excluding tip

Best food in Galway by a distance, recent winner of best restaurant in Connacht.

If you're in Galway and want to eat fine food, this is the place.

Pics included in spoiler as they are massive
                                                                                                                    SPOILER

Comment

For anyone that like a good Chinese meal and might be around North Wicklow in the next 2 months there is a great deal on Menupages for Ashford Oriental....

Comment

Might grab this

Last edited by Denny Crane; 01-09-12, 17:22.

Comment

I am doing a GAB this weekend and embarking on a culinary tour. Campagne in Kilkenny for Saturday lunch, Ardleigh House for dinner\breakfast and The Hungry Monk in Greystones for Sunday lunch.

first two excellent, final one adequate

Ardleigh Aldridge Lodge is possibly the best value food in the country

edit^^ might as well get the name right!
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 02-09-12, 20:48.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X