Whats the best Anti Virus Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the best Anti Virus Software

My McAfee Anti Virus Software is about to run out (came with my Dell Computer) so Before I renew with them I would love to hear some suggestions as to what other choices I have.

Mcafee works out about 40 dollars to renew..
    Are there better paid alternatives out there? What is the best value for money?

Whats the best Free anti virus software out there and in this day and age can a free anti virus software fully protect you from attacks?

Cheers for your advice

eset.

if u want it for free pm me and ill send u a link.
    Last edited by peteypop; 16-06-11, 10:50.

Comment

Get rid of that McAfee stuff and install Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes and you will be sorted.

Both free and very handy at picking up threats, you will be sorted like a boss
      "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
        Get rid of that McAfee stuff and install Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes and you will be sorted.

This. You'll need to get protect against spyware too- I find superantispyware to be decent.

Comment

thanks guys, I love this forum!

Comment

It's unreal that McAffee and Norton still make money
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
              This. You'll need to get protect against spyware too- I find superantispyware to be decent.
              Malwarebytes and MSE do this.
              Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                It's unreal that McAffee and Norton still make money
                Adobe partners.
                Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

I've been using Avast free version on all home machines for about 3 years and caught a couple of threats, one was a dodgy java update on a youtube link emailed to me and I can't remember the other one.

Dealt with the threats and never had any further problems.

I also have Avast pro (paid for) version on the company laptop and no problems there either.

Edit: 2nd one was probably some Johnny Vaughan site ;-)
                  Last edited by gorrrr72; 16-06-11, 16:03.

Comment

security essentials is best freeware. NOD32 is probably the pick of retail products,and runs very light on your system compared to others. Kaspersky also v good value if you buy a 5 user licence. Malware bytes is imba for spyware, Ccleaner complements all those programs very well. Run the cleaner before you scan, then the registry cleaner part after the other programs have done their work.
                    Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                    https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

I'd go with Avira free, its the best free one imo and ahead of Microsoft Security Essentials which is also very good.

Superantispyware free addition is also very, very good and handy to have on the machine. I only run it once a month to check up on things.

Glary Utilities is another handy piece of free software. Its very user friendly and allows you to turn off unnecessary startup programs as well as lots of other things like the all in one cleaning operation where it does the registry and temporary files and other stuff.
                      'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by peteypop View Post
                        eset.

if u want it for free pm me and ill send u a link.
                        This. If you're gonna pay for it, then ESET Nod32 is the best AV software. It's worth every penny.
                        Last edited by AndyFatBastard; 16-06-11, 18:32.
                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

+1 for Microsoft Security Essentials

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post

I keep getting a pop saying my malwarebytes trial version runs out in a few day (think 5 days left)

Do I have to buy this then or is there a totally free version?

Comment

i removed mcafee and installed Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes today. lovely job!

Comment

Originally posted by Donkathon View Post
                                I keep getting a pop saying my malwarebytes trial version runs out in a few day (think 5 days left)

Do I have to buy this then or is there a totally free version?
                                There should be a free version of it.
                                "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Working...
                                X