AK Irish Open Hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AK Irish Open Hand

Last level yesterday in the IO - blinds at 400/800 ante 50.

I'm playing 27k and villain has only just arrived at the table playing about 50k.

Dealt AsKs in the sb, villain opens utg+2 to 1950. I 3bet to 5100 and it's folded around to him. He tanks and flats.

Flop comes 763r (1 spade). What now?

3bet bigger pre 6400 or so, any reads at all on villain?

Comment

I like the 3-bet size. Tough spot now tho. Think it's a bet/fold situation. Without getting into tricky plays ourself that turn our hand into a bluff, he has

- a pair that he's not gonna drop
      - AK and he'll fold
      - a pair that he turned into a set-mine and he'll fold if missed
      - position with ATC and is gonna put you to the test and you'll fold

so 50/50 for me and think bet/fold > check/call.

Comment

I think I just check /fold tbh - I dont like it but its the best option we have given our stack size

Comment

Pretty bad spot considering your stack size. After the 3bet you have just over 21k. When called theres c.12k in the middle. Bet/folding becomes very expensive in relation to your stack size, as does c/c.

Flatting pre disguises the strength of your hand and makes it an easy fold post flop on these flops.

I also think an argument can be made for open jamming pre considering all the bad post flop spots you'll be in oop. This eliminates the very tip top of your range, as its unlikely AA or KK open jams but I think I still prefer this to a 3 bet then fold with so much in the middle.
          http://carlmorrissey.blogspot.com/
          http://twitter.com/#!/Moro88

Comment

Originally posted by Carl_Morrissey View Post
            Pretty bad spot considering your stack size. After the 3bet you have just over 21k. When called theres c.12k in the middle. Bet/folding becomes very expensive in relation to your stack size, as does c/c.

Flatting pre disguises the strength of your hand and makes it an easy fold post flop on these flops.

I also think an argument can be made for open jamming pre considering all the bad post flop spots you'll be in oop. This eliminates the very tip top of your range, as its unlikely AA or KK open jams but I think I still prefer this to a 3 bet then fold with so much in the middle.
            pretty bad advice imo, prefer 3 betting bigger oop. i c bet about 6400 now.

Comment

Originally posted by smoothcall View Post
              pretty bad advice imo, prefer 3 betting bigger oop. i c bet about 6400 now.
              Each to their own and all that. But do you fold to a ship now yes? No chance of a c/f on the flop? Is there not a lot of our stack in the middle now to justify a b/f? Genuinely interested cos I think its a really weird spot.
              http://carlmorrissey.blogspot.com/
              http://twitter.com/#!/Moro88

Comment

Yeah shoving and flatting are both definitely not as good as 3betting imo. I definitely make it more than 5100, but less than 6400. I think 6400 makes stacks a little awkward postflop. I prefer something like 5.8k, which gives a slightly better 2 barrel stack, and probably similar preflop play.

I think b/f on the flop is not good. I think b/c is fine tbh. I'd c/f turn though if called. C/f is better than c/c too imo and better than c/r. So in a choice between b/c and c/f, I think I just prefer b/c. Think that line would be bad vs older Irish guys though.
                Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

think of all the times you just win the pot with a 3 bet, the times you get it in pre dominating. if your not 3 betting AK what are you 3 betting?

Comment

ah its def a 3 bet pre flop that shouldn't even be up for discussion. On the flop if we cbet and get called are we jamming any A, K and flushdraw turns?

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                      ah its def a 3 bet pre flop that shouldn't even be up for discussion. On the flop if we cbet and get called are we jamming any A, K and flushdraw turns?
                      For sure. And probably T,J,Q too.
                      Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
                        For sure. And probably T,J,Q too.
                        hmmm Im not sure I like shoving any T, J or Q - unless villain is very weak you should get called there

Comment

Thanks for the feedback lads this hand has been absolutely wrecking my head for the last 2 days.

I cbet 6250, he raised to 13k after about 10 seconds, I folded and felt like puking.

Comment

Working...
                          X