Building a firepit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a firepit!

As some of you may have seen from my post in the BBV, I plan to build a firepit in a field out the back of a house we have in wexford.

I've searched around many videos and tutorials on the interweb and have yet to come to a complete conclusion as to what it's going to look like and what methods I will be using.

Currently I don't have a budget set in stone (excuse the bad pun), but I do want to keep this as cheap as possible without compromising too much on quality. Ideally this structure will last for decades as I envisage it to be used very rarely. Probably less then 20 times a year.

Originally I was planning on working off this as a template. There budget came in at about $500, while expensive enough I also feel it has some flaws (which were pointed out in the comments section.

1) I would be unsure about the ease of removing the ash from the firepit, I was contemplating building in some sort of iron section near the bottom with a fake stone facade on the outside, but I don't know if this is just crazy.

2) I'm not sure about how well paving stones would stand up. Surely firebricks would be a more long term solution no?

Then I came across some more pictures or what probably look like fancier firepits. So that got me thinking as well.

I still do not have a concrete plan (another bad pun) in my head, but at the moment I'm thinking a ring of firebrick and then whatever cheap stone I can get my hands on to build a facade around the outside. This will still leave me with the problem of clearing the the ash from the firepit, but i'm sure that can be solved easily enough.

Another thing I'm unsure about is where to get the steel ring and grate. Some tutorials suggest using a large metal barrel or a tractor wheel mount...

Anyway I wanted to start this log to keep track of the progress, and it might provide useful for others looking at doing such a project. There probably wont be much movement on this until the end of the month, as I'll be away for a while so wont be able to get down to the site, will upload some pictures when I do and do a step by step of what happened come the end of the project.

Anybody with hints, tips or suggestions for where to buy any of the materials needed, please post away.
    Last edited by Rufio; 15-04-11, 15:09. Reason: fix url
    Double-decker bus enthusiast
Working...
X