overheating and antivirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

overheating and antivirus

Iv recently picked up a virus on my laptop, its ransomware type virus afaik, antivirus.NET to be specific. iv had virus's in the past and can usually handle them easy enough but the problem i have now is that when im starting my laptop up in safe mode with networking to run a scan to deal with the virus the laptop keeps overheating.

the vents are not blocked and theres no dust, after about 5mins of the scan the fan pipes up and gets quite loud then the laptop just cuts out, trying to rattle my brain to combat this problem but im coming up short, just short of running the scan and putting the laptop in the fridge

any had a problem like this before with overheating, is the laptop on its last legs now and should just splash out on a new one?

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
    Iv recently picked up a virus on my laptop, its ransomware type virus afaik, antivirus.NET to be specific. iv had virus's in the past and can usually handle them easy enough but the problem i have now is that when im starting my laptop up in safe mode with networking to run a scan to deal with the virus the laptop keeps overheating.

the vents are not blocked and theres no dust, after about 5mins of the scan the fan pipes up and gets quite loud then the laptop just cuts out, trying to rattle my brain to combat this problem but im coming up short, just short of running the scan and putting the laptop in the fridge

any had a problem like this before with overheating, is the laptop on its last legs now and should just splash out on a new one?
    mine was overheating and like you i put it in the fridge lol
    but i got the hoover at the vents, i know this a big no no but it never overheated since!!!
    Her sky-ness
    © 5starpool

Comment

dont use a hoover ffs.
      Zod, a poster on here, does laptop repairs so you could PM him
      removal instructions for the virus here:
      Antivirus .NET is a rogue anti-spyware program from the same family as Antivirus Scan . When this infection is installed on your computer it will be configured to start automatically. Once started it will scan your computer and list numerous infections in the scan results. If you attempt to remove any of these so-called infections it will state that you first need to purchase the program in order to remove anything. As these scan results are all fake, please do not purchase this program based upon anything it states.

the overheating could be related to the virus trying to do a lot i the background.
      It's pretty simple to open the laptop to clear out dust build up.
      The exhaust at the back can have a layer of dust like in a drycleaner so that could cause the overheating too
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Hoovering your laptop could be terminal, don't even think about it!

Comment

took the bottom off the laptop and took a can of compressed air to the fan and the filters, then used the link above for the virus, working fine again, ty lads!

Comment

Working...
          X