Hero (Button) (t8180)
    SB (t13337)
    BB (t6685)

Hero's M: 34.08

Preflop: Hero is Button with Ah, 5h
    UTG calls t120, Hero bets t500, 2 folds, UTG calls t380

Flop: (t1240) 9x, Qh, 2h (2 players)
    UTG checks, Hero bets t1020, UTG raises to t2040

This huy had been at my table from the start and had been calling an awful lot of my raises from any position. I had bet him off a lot of them in the earlier stages but we hadn't tangled in a while and he hadn't shown down much in a while.

My move?
    Trying to not cause trouble since 1983

With one limper here I make it 420-480(3.5-4x).

Checking back the flop is a much better idea when taking on the big stack imo. Let him spew into you when you turn the nuts!

As played, I call the reraise. Getting c/r with these stacks is not nice as you have found out. You have to shove or call though and I prefer calling. Also I don't like the bet size on flop, bet smaller imo. I'm prob making it around the 700 mark. The pot would also be slightly smaller if you open 3.5-4x which should reduce your flop bet size too.

Comment

I make it less pre, maybe 450.

I like the flop cbet, short handed I think you gotta cbet pretty much everything, nut flush draw should be no exception. I would prefer a cbet of ~ 60% tbh. It tends to achieve the same result as a larger cbet.

Now I shove. He folds an awful lot of his range here, the likes of QT, JT, A9, hands like that.

Only plausible hands that call are KQ, 22, and ThJh imo. Against this range we are >42%, so coupled with good fold equity I don't mind a shove.

However, I don't think I've ever played 4 handed so my thoughts on hand ranges could be totally wrong!

Comment

Ok, off to the old place to have another read on betsizing, cheers for input

Comment

I play this tourney (if its the $44 on stars) a fair bit, very good game.

Because of stacks and how often you'll be isolating onto this guy, I way prefer a smaller raise. He's obv pretty terrible if he's limping here anyways, and you'll likely be at his table for a while. All you really want to do is isolate on him, while keeping the pot manageable.

I really dislike your flop betsize for loads of reasons.
          1) This pot and stacks take 3bets to get all in, and those 3 bets need to be definitely less than 80% pot. Like work out what you'd bet on turn and river given your flop bet size, and then work out if you could make the 3 streets a better size than betting 80% on flop.
          2) You don't need to bet that much anyway. Its not even a board where he's going to be calling 100% of the time like. His range strength and likelihood to call are definitely things you should be thinking about when sizing.
          3) In this game, people like to play back a lot. Your flop bet size makes it really hard for him to play back, or at least it makes it very hard for him to play back and give you a spot where you can shove with FE. This is pretty important here. If you can somehow engineer getting the last bet in here (with FE), then thats a v good thing.

All that being said, I close my eyes and ship now. We've defo got enough equity to get it in (range that NewApproach gave as his calling range is far too narrow), and we can pray for a fold from a better hand some of the time. You get far more EV from the hand if you tailor your betsizes to suit a little better though.
          Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Pretty sure it's the $4.40 tourney TG

Although I think the point still stands except maybe that the players aren't as good at reading board texture and adjusting their play accordingly.

Edit - That reads terribly..People don't adjust their play enough from the way they play 6max/FR tourneys. There I said it.
            Last edited by sligoboi; 20-01-11, 21:38.
            Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Originally posted by sligboi View Post
              Pretty sure it's the $4.40 tourney TG

Although I think the point still stands except maybe that the players aren't as good at reading board texture and adjusting their play accordingly.
              It was and it does, cheers

Comment

Confusion with other thread solved.

As mention, flop raise is too big.
                Listen to TG re; bet sizing to get it all in.

As played, I ship. We ahve lots of equity with the FD and the A (removes AQ from his range). Worst case isn't exactly terrible.

Comment

Ok, noted on the bet sizing guys, cheers.

I did shove, well effectively, slider left 500 odd behind. Made no odds as he instacalled and the remainder went in on the turn.

River and turn bricked and he showed Q9o for top 2.

Comment

So a pretty bad situation, given lone Ace is no good (except for A turn gives you 6 more outs)
                    But you are still 2/1 to win, so hardly crushed. Seeing as this is one of the worse cases are are -EV, it should show you that the move against his range is +EV

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                      So a pretty bad situation, given lone Ace is no good (except for A turn gives you 6 more outs)
                      But you are still 2/1 to win, so hardly crushed. Seeing as this is one of the worse cases are are -EV, it should show you that the move against his range is +EV
                      Yeah, my sorta thinking at the time but learning as we go. All this feedback greatly helps, cheers guys

Comment

Working...
                      X