Gone in 10 months.(very tl;dr)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gone in 10 months.(very tl;dr)

I couldn't think of a particularly catchy title unfortunately.

Decided to make this thread just to explain what i've been doing for the last 10 months or so. As many of you know, i've been rather busy in the gym. I guess i'm typing this, mainly to document my own progress(not a brag, srsly ) and in the hopes it may inspire others who are struggling, not only physically, but mentally. Guys like Emmet, Lurker etc have posted really good Logs with exercise plans, diets etc. This thread/blog/ramble will focus more on the mental feelings and where my mind has been in the past 10 months. I'm fully aware this article will come across as rambly and self-indulgent, but it is not intended that way. Someone who has never been as morbidly obese as I was cannot appreciate how awful such an existence is so perhaps it can give a different perspective to the many people out there trying to clean up their act. If even one person reads this and takes something from it, happy days.

So to start from the beginning. February 2010. For about 3 years now, i've been piling on the weight. As a 17-18 year old, I was quite fit. I played football, I played hurling. I was probably 12-13 stone at a guess. Heck, even in 2007 I was pretty fit;

According to FB, I uploaded that pic in June 2007(I think the pic itself is older, not sure)

So, what happened? How did I end up looking like this? Fast forward to Feb 2010

3 years, lots of junk food, lots of minerals(I drank at least 2-3 2 LITRE bottles of minerals a week), crisps, chocolate, processed crap. Anything you can think of, it went down my festering, miserable mouth. I knew all along what I was doing, that I was shortening my life, heading towards diabetes, heart disease, 46 inch waist jeans, XXXL shirts. Walking into a clothes shop and realising the biggest size they have doesn't fit, not much made me feel more worthless, more useless. Yet I continued to eat. If anything, I ate more.

So what happened? What was it that woke me up? It certainly wasn't everyone I know begging, pleading with me to get my act together. It wasn't anything I watched on TV, read on the Internet, whatever. It was January 1st, 2010. Recovering from the previous nights exploits, where I drank copious amounts of alcohol and feasted on pizza, passed out into the bed at stupid o'clock. 11am the next morning, i'm woken up by an ambulance crew, informing me that they are taking my father to hospital as he's just suffered a major heart attack. My dad is not over-weight, he has always eaten pretty well. Yeah he likes his drink, but certainly not George Best here. My reaction was about what you'd expect. Shock, you know that numb feeling where you sit there like an idiot, wondering what the fuck to say. My dad recovered, he had surgery and is still with us, alive and well. But even this was not the trigger.

No, the trigger was walking down the cardiac unit to visit him. An endlessly long, corridor, a grim corridor. I wanted to be anywhere else in the world but here. My dad's room was right down the very end. Then it happened. Being a curious George, I felt the need to look into every room. And every room I looked in, the person in the bed, hooked into any number of horrible devices, didn't look much older then me. I must have seen six or seven rooms like this. A man in his mid 20s, his life forever changed for the worse. Then it snapped, you know that feeling when you're young? That feeling of invincibility? All of that just evaporated away in that moment. I was struck with fear and terror in that moment. The realisation that this could happen to me, and it could happen a lot sooner then I might expect. It was that moment, walking down that corridor of horrors that it dawned it me. And I decided this was not going to happen to me. No fucking way.

So, I started walking. You need to realise, 3 years of sloth, inactivity and negligence take their toll on onself. I was practically immobile. I could barely walk 200 yards without my knees screaming 'enough!', my back cramping up and just general exhaustion kicking in. So I started small. I walked around the block, I started reading up on diet plans, what I should be eating. And I started eating it. There was no decision to be made, all the crap I had been polluting my body with had to go. And it did. Over time, I got fitter. A walk around the block became 2 walks around the block. Then 3. The the local park was worth tackling. About a month passed. Already I felt better, but every time I looked in the mirror, every time I looked at myself, I still saw a seemingly endless ocean of fat. There were moments when I questioned whether or not I could do this, whether it was worth doing. Then I remembered how I felt in the Cardiac ward, how i've felt anytime i've walked into a clothes shop and nothing fits me. Watching people look at me like i'm some sort of useless freak(I was). There was nothing that would stop me from doing what I had to do.

So I took on the park. And I won. Progress was being made. I had a seemingly limitless supply of energy, I slept better, I felt better. Clothes got looser, and this encouraged me to push on. Then I decided to start going on long walks, 3 months down the line, my daily routine consisted of breakfast, walk to town(4-5 miles), lunch, another shorter walk, dinner and then tv for the night and an early nights sleep. Then I hit the wall, the scales stopped going down. It was time to join a gym. As terrifying as this prospect was, I could not stop now.

The gym. The place where many aspiring fatshedders motivation goes up in flames. Intimidation? Looking around and wondering what the fuck they should do? No plan? 3 good reasons why such a thing happens. And I did feel this way for a long time. I was still resolute, but it felt like I was banging my head off a wall. Then I did some research and I came across a name. Bryan Kavanagh. I read his website, read some articles. This guy seems to know what he's talking about. The entire time, I had people suggesting I see a personal trainer. I always refused, some stupid pig ignorant pride that I wanted to do it 'alone' as if this magnified any stupid sense of accomplishment or some other foolish feeling. While aimlessly working in the gym, my will and resolve did not waver. But I felt directionless. I needed direction. So I went to see Bryan. He put me through the ringer, to this day i've yet to have such a brutal workout, but he gave me direction. He showed me what I needed to do, gave me focus.

And it began to work. The new exercises started to pay off. I felt the weight dropping, I felt myself getting stronger as the weeks went by. I knew what I had to do and I was going to do it. I again, woke up and forgot about any stupid feeling of pride and asked for help. There is no shame in asking for help. So many people falter and refuse to see a professional, and they lose heart and cycle continues. This was not going to happen to me. Any foolish feelings of pride were far outweighed by the need for focus and direction. And those feeling were washed away as I got stronger, I got fitter and the weight began to fall, and fall fast.

And thats where I am today.

The shambling wreck of a human being, drowning in his self-loathing and worthlessness, is well and truly dead. Doing all this has made me feel useful again. I can walk into a clothes shop now and know i'll find something that fits me. I can walk around and not feel completely ashamed of my appearance. Remember that feeling of invincibility I spoke about countless rambling paragraphs ago? It's back.

And it feels fucking brilliant.

What an inspirational read....very well done moneymaker......

Comment

Well done to you!!!!!

keep up the good work! its so hard to lose weight , i need to lose a stone myself and i just cant motivate myself, even have a holiday coming up in two weeks and that didnt even inspire me to beat the roads!

Ill prob allow myself to go so far and then just decide right fatty lets go!
      Her sky-ness
      © 5starpool

Comment

Great great post. A good insight into something that I feel you really need to have experienced first hand in order to have the privilege of writing about. Thanks for sharing.

Q. So now you've reached your goal. What's next?

Comment

Great story and some journey for you last year. How much weight did you drop in total and what plans/targets do you have for this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
            Great great post. A good insight into something that I feel you really need to have experienced first hand in order to have the privilege of writing about. Thanks for sharing.

Q. So now you've reached your goal. What's next?
            Haven't reached my goal yet.

85kg is what i'm looking for. Currently 96.

When I get there I plan on staying there and playing sport on a full time(not professionally obv) basis. Basically if I hit 85kg by May i'll join a football team.

Originally posted by Jackyback View Post
            Great story and some journey for you last year. How much weight did you drop in total and what plans/targets do you have for this year.
            147kg at my peak. 96kg now. As for my plans, see above
            Last edited by Moneymaker; 18-01-11, 14:47.

Comment

Always glad to see things going in the right direction and by the sounds of it they will be going that way for a long time.

Keep it up Brian
              "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Had to admit I had an inner fistpump reading that. Hope I can still buy you a deserved beer when next we meet. Although you may have to reintrduce yourself.

Comment

Holy Christ i hadnt seen you in a while! o how i do miss the JP, but i remeber talking to you a good few months and remarking that you looked very well! It's amazing to see this! i didnt think this was possible! it's great to see and i am really pround of you, i know it's epiclly gay of me to say this but i know what you feel like, brian this might come as a shock but i have an extra few pounds, i know i know i hide it well! But the feelings you describe do attempt to crush one's soul!

I think i have to do something as well and im not going to stop till Moneymaker is my large friend again!

Well Done brian and hope to see you at some point over the next couple of months for a game called "what is philip flatting a 4 bet with oop 30bb deep???"

Comment

Icarus, would you? (2nd photo)

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                      Had to admit I had an inner fistpump reading that. Hope I can still buy you a deserved beer when next we meet. Although you may have to reintrduce yourself.
                      Will have to be non-alcoholic but I look forward to it.

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
                      Holy Christ i hadnt seen you in a while! o how i do miss the JP, but i remeber talking to you a good few months and remarking that you looked very well! It's amazing to see this! i didnt think this was possible! it's great to see and i am really pround of you, i know it's epiclly gay of me to say this but i know what you feel like, brian this might come as a shock but i have an extra few pounds, i know i know i hide it well! But the feelings you describe do attempt to crush one's soul!
                      Cheers Phil, but if a lazy oaf like me can do it, so can yourself.

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
                      Well Done brian and hope to see you at some point over the next couple of months for a game called "what is philip flatting a 4 bet with oop 30bb deep???"
                      rofl.

Comment

Very inspirational man. I can feel myself putting on some pounds recently.

But wanna cut it out before I get any bigger. Taken up cycling, weight training and cutting some junk from my diet (chocolate & crisps)

Still order out the odd time though

In other words VWP.

Also consider selling you story to (random weight loss drug/workout) and make a fortune

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                          Icarus, would you? (2nd photo)
                          Lol, the fugliest hooker down the darkest lane would turn away that monstrosity of a human being. As much as I hate that picture I keep it as a reminder.

Originally posted by MegaSin View Post
                          Very inspirational man. I can feel myself putting on some pounds recently.

But wanna cut it out before I get any bigger. Taken up cycling, weight training and cutting some junk from my diet (chocolate & crisps)

Still order out the odd time though

In other words VWP.

Also consider selling you story to (random weight loss drug/workout) and make a fortune
                          Cheers mate, good on ya for starting before it becomes a big problem for you.

I know what you mean, I have the odd take away myself(1 a month tops). Didn't even enjoy the last one and i'm starting to cook some pretty good healthy meals so I doubt i'll be having one again anytime soon. Yamamoris/Mongolian BBQ is usually where i'd go to eat out these days. Nandos if i'm feeling liberal.

And yeah, the idea crossed my mind alright. :P
                          Last edited by Moneymaker; 18-01-11, 15:29.

Comment

Fair fucks to you good sir.

Comment

Fair play to you brian. Always found ya to be a nice guy at the JP tables. Happy to see what you have done in the last 10 months as it shows a hell of alot of willpower and endurance that not many out there would have to drop that kind of weight.

Wish ya all the best and hope to chat with ya soon.

Ruairi

Comment

Nice one. Keep up the good work.
                                Looking for full or part time poker and betting writers. PM if interested.

Comment

Great read, really happy for ya. How much does a personal trainer cost if you dont mind me asking?

Comment

Well done! What you've achieved so far is just amazing!

Comment

Brilliantly written piece. Fantastic. Genuinly well played man-serious will power and drive! Very inspiring.

Comment

Well done, glad you're feeling better. I remember sitting at a table with you on a few occasions and remembering that the only reason a person could talk this much shite about something he clearly knows nothing about would be because he was full of self-loathing and pity. Perhaps that will go the same way the weight went - South!

Once again, very well done.

Comment

Amazing turnaround pal. Perseverance pays off little by little. If you can channel that new found drive you can achieve a lot more. Don't stop now.
                                          "Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends, worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing." Jerome K. Jerome Three men in a Boat

Comment

1/3 of old you is gone.

That's absolutely phenomenal stuff.

Keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by RBBlogger View Post
                                              Great read, really happy for ya. How much does a personal trainer cost if you dont mind me asking?
                                              Depends really. A one-off trip is 97 euro but it is worth every penny. Bryan will go over every aspect of your life, help put together a diet plan and training regime and he's always available for a chat. Genuine nice guy who cares about his clients.

Originally posted by sickhabbit View Post
                                              Well done, glad you're feeling better. I remember sitting at a table with you on a few occasions and remembering that the only reason a person could talk this much shite about something he clearly knows nothing about would be because he was full of self-loathing and pity. Perhaps that will go the same way the weight went - South!

Once again, very well done.
                                              Thanks, but I still talk plenty of shite. Only without the self-loathing.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words.

Comment

As I mentioned elsewhere, I hadn't seen you since March '09, so the last pic there is a great turn aound.
                                                As somebody who say his weight jump up a over the same period (college), for the same reasons, junk food, soft drinks, I can totally related motivation and the feeling of "I'm actually doing this"

well done again

Comment

Firstly congratz,

and secondly never knew before who you where until i saw the pics in saying that i haven't seen ya since prob about 2007 in the Jolly
                                                  http://drjff.blogspot.com/

Comment

That's an unbelievable amount of dedication and courage you've shown and indeed also great courage and honesty in writing about it, fair play and best of luck with everything.

Comment

Well done you! That's a brilliant achievement... I well believe you will get to goal too!

I've played with you a few times in Bluff/Voodoo/Jackpot but I won't know you now, make sure you post up another picture when you get to the 85kg mark...

Comment

Great read MM and fair play to ya. If that didn't inspire people to get fit, nothing will!

Comment

Well done man, fantastic achievement, and a fantastic post. Kudos.
                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Thanks for all the kind remarks, appreciate it.

Was 93.9kg at weight in this morning.

Started a new exercise regime after seeing my trainer on Friday, consisting of;

Warm Up:

Band pull apart
                                                            Bodyweight squat
                                                            Band dislocates
                                                            Wall slides
                                                            Kneeling plank get ups
                                                            Body weight lunges
                                                            Mountain climbs

8 of each, 2 times.

Workout consisted of;

Dumbell press - 12kg x8
                                                            Dumbell row - 18kg x8
                                                            Sumo deadlift 14kg x 8

4 sets in sequence. Compound exercises ftw

Followed by

Standing single hand press 10kg x 8
                                                            Step ups 10x10

Again 4 sets in sequence

Finish with 10x10 1/2 get ups with a 6kg dumbbell(love those ugh!)

Then interval training, 10 secs at 50% 10 secs at 90%, 3 x 10 for 30 total, 3 mins 30 seconds for 10, 1 min break inbetween. Done on the Xtrainer.

Then 1 circuit of my warm up as a cool down.

Comment

When are you gonna get to work on that face?

Comment

Originally posted by sickhabbit View Post
                                                                When are you gonna get to work on that face?
                                                                Classy.

Comment

Just read this now and would like to add my kudos.

Fair play and keep it up

Comment

Update;

Will try and post in this several times a week with my work-outs and diet and progress.

Weighed in at 91.6kg this morning.

Breakfast: Frozen mixed fruit, natural yogurt, flaxseeds.

Cup of coffee about 30 mins before the gym.

Workout:

Warmup

4x10 floor presses - 14kg weights
                                                                    4x10+10 Real rows
                                                                    These exercises and done in a compound style. Floor presses followed by real rows, 1 min rest, rinse repeat 4 times.

4x10 dumbbell push presses - 10kg weight
                                                                    4x10 Lateral pulldowns - 20kg weight
                                                                    Same as above, compounded.

4x15+15 step-ups
                                                                    4x8+8 mountain climbs
                                                                    Once again, compounded.

4x30 second planks.

Cooldown.

Lunch - Tin of tuna, green tea.

Snack - Handful of cashew nuts.

Comment

Weighed in at 91.8kg this morning.

Breakfast - Mixed fruit salad, natural yogurt and flaxseeds.

Cup of coffee pre-workout

Workout -

Warmup;

Dumbell press - 12kg x8
                                                                      Dumbell row - 18kg x8
                                                                      Sumo deadlift 14kg x 8

4 sets in sequence.

Followed by

Standing single hand press 10kg x 8
                                                                      Step ups 10x10

Again 4 sets in sequence

Finish with 10x10 1/2 get ups with a 6kg dumbbell(love those ugh!)

Then interval training, 10 secs at 50% 10 secs at 90%, 3 x 10 for 30 total, 3 mins 30 seconds for 10, 1 min break inbetween. Done on the exercise bike.

Then 1 circuit of my warm up as a cool down.

Post workout - Tin of tuna with cottage cheese.

Comment

Update smupdate;

Weighed in at 83.8kg this morning. Still going hammer and tongs. 76kg is my final target.

I think they might be a little big for me.

Comment

Congratz - you're about to pass me out and will prob get to 76kg (roughly my goal0 before me

Comment

Fuck, I better tighten up the oul ship, you're breathing down my neck too and I've gotten nowhere near where I want to be over last few weeks!

Comment

#39
                                                                              Breathing down my neck too.

Keep er lit man.
                                                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Updateage:

Weighed 76.8kg this morning. Bodyfat is 15.5%

Still on the same exercise routine in the gym, have increased weights in some parts and I now do 10 mins non-stop hiit(dont try at home kids!).

I've bought myself a bike and cycle around 30-50km a week on it. My general fitness is improving almost weekly.

Down to a 34' waist and comfortably take a size Medium now.

My aim is to get my bodyfat under 10% while increasing my fitness further. I'm off to see my trainer again next week to get on a programme to do that.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                  Congratz - you're about to pass me out and will prob get to 76kg (roughly my goal) before me
                                                                                  Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
                                                                                  Updateage:

Well done.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
                                                                                    Updateage:

Still on the same exercise routine in the gym, have increased weights in some parts and I now do 10 mins non-stop hiit(dont try at home kids!).

I've bought myself a bike and cycle around 30-50km a week on it. My general fitness is improving almost weekly.

Down to a 34' waist and comfortably take a size Medium now.

My aim is to get my bodyfat under 10% while increasing my fitness further. I'm off to see my trainer again next week to get on a programme to do that.

Fair balls!! I'm going in the opposite direction since my last post. 83kg now but a hell of a lot stronger.

You playing any sports? You've an interest in Soccer dont ya?
                                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                      Fair balls!! I'm going in the opposite direction since my last post. 83kg now but a hell of a lot stronger.

You playing any sports? You've an interest in Soccer dont ya?
                                                                                      Eh, well weight was my first priority. Now that im down to a good weight the next target is to decrease bodyfat and my work on my general physique. I'd rather have 8% BF and weigh 85-90kg, then how I look currently.

And yeah, I cycle a ton and play football when I can.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                      X