Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a terrible fold???

Hi Guys,

Sorry I don't have the exact details but I'm not used to copying hands.

I'm playing a $6 - 90 man turbo on Stars.

There are 16 players left, 12 paid.

Blinds are 500-1000, 80 ante ( I think). I'm on the button with only 2900 chips.
    I have AhQh.

Two big stacks (only 16k but top 2 on the table) limp from UTG & UTG +1. UTG +2 raises to 2,900.
    Having originally been delighted to see my first hand in a while with a chance to double up, I'm now worried that I am in very bad shape. I know that if I commit the 2,900 I am almost certainly playing a 4 way pot and even though I could win over 14k (more if either of the blinds call), I decide to fold.

Is this awful bad???

It's an instashove for me. You only have 2900 chips left and have the best hand you're likely to see before being blinded out.

You're not gonna be likely to push others off a semi playable hand with your stack so you can't wait to shove yourself.

Did you lose a pot or let yourself get blinded to such a short stack?
    Trying to not cause trouble since 1983

Comment

I had been pretty card dead the whole tournament. Think I folded the first 28 hands and as the blinds went up every 5 mins I was suddenly in danger territory, I pushed a few times with about 6 big blinds when the blinds were 100-200 and also 200-400, I never got up over 5,000 and then lost a pot at 400-800 against a smaller stack.

Comment

I mainly play the 45 mans but I can't imagine there is too much difference in these. You shouldn't be playing anything early and shipping super light etc and calling super light. I know there are quite a few who play the 180 man's profitably aswell on here. Basicially volume is key because the variance is super sick. I've heard of very good winning player go on 500 game break-even type run.

I get this it to hell. Pity he didn't make it more and isolate just you and him. You're playing for the win and should be getting called when you ship any two regardless because you're so short. Get it in for a chance to play a playable stack. UL GG.

Comment

Speaking as a complete amateur, that's a terrible fold.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicMarker View Post
            Speaking as a complete amateur, that's a terrible fold.
            I can see a reason for folding. Limp UTG in this from anyone solid usually means trouble. The raiser bascially just asking you to put your stack in by raising your exact amount. If this was on the money bubble i'd be folding but you're not going to get there with this stack. Any hand you push from now on will called blind so therefore would it be better taking say k or q high against a random hand than taking AQ here against enormous strength been shown.

At the end of the day though, it's 3bb's and you have an ACE and a QUEEN. Ship the lot. I like the fact the OP thinks about the decision though.

Comment

To be honest, in my own mind I know it was a bad fold but I'm worried that what happened afterwards may have justified it for me and that if a similar situation arises in the future I may consider folding. The very next hand I got pocket aces, doubled up and ended up finishing 2nd in the tourney.(lost a massive lead heads up but that is a different story!)

Comment

How many chips has UTG+2 got?

Comment

Originally posted by Sodacake View Post
                  To be honest, in my own mind I know it was a bad fold but I'm worried that what happened afterwards may have justified it for me and that if a similar situation arises in the future I may consider folding. The very next hand I got pocket aces, doubled up and ended up finishing 2nd in the tourney.(lost a massive lead heads up but that is a different story!)
                  The hand was a easy call. And in fact, you should of getten your stack in ages ago with a worse hand. You certainly have enough equity to call. You will bust out a lot, but when you stay you have a healthy stack and finish in top few places, so that on average taking the risk is worth more money

Picking up aces next isn't important
                  Had you played and won you still pick aces, and now have a bigger stack, win more and prob comes first.

Comment

UTG +2 had about 10k.
                    Just to finish the story, UTG & UTG +1 both called 2900, blinds folded. All 3 checked the Q Irene high flop. UTG bet the turn got called by UTG +1 and then UTG jammed the river. When the other player folded he showed a bluff A7 (no pair).

Your point about letting my stack get that low is a valid one but if you are shoving light surely you need to be first in the pot and there was nearly always action in front of me.

Comment

Yeah when shoving light, or 3betting light fold equity has to be there

there few times where I'll get down to 3bb, but obviously it just happens sometimes

Comment

i think u had to shove wit suited AQ, even offsuit for that matter.
                        it is not often u pick up positive expected value (pos ev) hands and when u do u should make the most of it,
                        remember you are playing to win not to survive,,
                        plus other players are tightening up to make the money which gives u all the more reason to be shoving with a range of hands even just to pick up blinds.
                        and if u got called it might not have been a bad thing either the only hands u can be a big underdog to is a over pair,
                        again mate play to win it not to survive.

Comment

Originally posted by fitz player View Post
                          i think u had to shove wit suited AQ

plus other players are tightening up to make the money which gives u all the more reason to be shoving with a range of hands even just to pick up blinds.
                          and if u got called it might not have been a bad thing either the only hands u can be a big underdog to is a over pair,
                          read the post again, his whole questioning was based on the action in front and whether or not to call his stack off with the hand

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiriquez View Post
                            read the post again, his whole questioning was based on the action in front and whether or not to call his stack off with the hand
                            ive read it, it doesn't matter,,
                            are u telling me ud fold every time a big stack limps utg and the next stack limps too, ad some guy raises ur exact amount of chips,
                            when ur short stacked with AQ suited,
                            how can u justify that,
                            its the best oportunity your going to get to put u back in the game,
                            one more round of the button and you are a goner,,
                            i know he got lucky to get aces next hand
                            but its not as if the poker gods says
                            "thou make a tight fold an i shall reward you with pocket aces"

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiriquez View Post
                              It's an instashove for me. You only have 2900 chips left and have the best hand you're likely to see before being blinded out.

You're not gonna be likely to push others off a semi playable hand with your stack so you can't wait to shove yourself.

Did you lose a pot or let yourself get blinded to such a short stack?
                              i think u had to shove wit suited AQ, even offsuit for that matter.
                              it is not often u pick up positive expected value (pos ev) hands and when u do u should make the most of it,
                              remember you are playing to win not to survive,,
                              I'm thinking it makes a bit of a difference given that you start warbling about 'other players tightening up' and 'if getting called' when he'd been put all in already.

Op's question, which has been answered already (but not by you) was whether or not to CALL given the action in front.

*bitchslap*

Comment

bitchslap urself u fool. If u wouldn't put ur stack in there ur the dope. Its fools like u fueling this game. Dont change bitch cos ur the type of donkey i make my living off ha ha. Donkeyboy.

Comment

bitchslap urself u fool. If u wouldn't put ur stack in there ur the dope. Its fools like u fueling this game. Dont change bitch cos ur the type of donkey i make my living off ha ha. Donkeyboy.
                                  Lol, I love it, not only are you an IDIOT but you can't read/spell either

Comment

yeah ok mr big pro. Ur the man. If u put as much effort into playin cards as u do into talking shite bout other players u might eventally get to understand what to do wit AQ and a short stack. Jackass.

Comment

Lol, I give up. I first replied to OP telling him to call. Bye

Comment

Working...
                                      X