Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online MTT Strategy.

Aint seen one of these here yet so here it goes:

What strategy do all you winning players apply to large field online Mtt's?
    You all believe tight is right at the beginning? if so when is it you start to open up and play more agressivley if you do at all?

Outline what you believe to be the best Mtt strategys here
    Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Shouldn't you be studying?
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Originally posted by dannydiamond View Post
      Shouldn't you be studying?
      No.
      Finished for the evening.
      Last edited by BrianByrne; 24-02-10, 21:21.
      Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Comment

you need some new hobbies pal

Comment

Lol..im not aloud make posts on here now?
          Ive got plenty of hobbies, and if someone els was to make this thread im sure you guys would love to give away some of your strats.
          took me one minute to make the post and in my free time i dont think it matters what i do, weather it be watch tv or browse the net.
          ive had exams all week and tonight ive studied for a good 4 hours, i hope whenever i post on here now this isn't the reception i get..its Dark,wet most my m8s are in uni not much els id like to do atm. yes i made a post stating im taking a break from poker and i am, i was playing every night all night before, and now ive restricted myself to the odd few posts on here..i dont see much wrong.

oh and for full list of hobbies just ask!

xD
          Last edited by BrianByrne; 24-02-10, 22:33.
          Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Comment

no your not lol... go to the old site and go to strat section or do a search..?...

Comment

was just curious to see what you guys do thats all
              Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Comment

depends on the tournaments structure, freezeout(fo) rebuy (rb), buyin, live or online. Generally in a rebuy play very loose, try build up an above avg stack before the rebuy is over. Then generally tighten up your game and pick your spots. Some players play very aggressively throughout the whole tournament, player dependent really. You also have to take into account your stack size compared to the avg stack sizes, when the bubble is approaching you dont want to be lower than the avg cos they will be out to bust you. Some ppl take into account the 10bb rule and generally push any 2 cards (ATC). Ive often let myself get down to 5bbs and crawled back so each to their own. Final table approach (FT) normally is great for widening your range and stealing blinds, never be afraid to get them in the middle ... Theres plenty more other lads could add on to this.

shit i missed my 5k add on in the 3k speed lol...

Comment

Brian you are fucked, future degen.

Welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                    Brian you are fucked, future degen.

Welcome.
                    Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Comment

Brian...

Me> You

son.......

shhhh, yeah.

Comment

jesus i was only joking..
                        Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Comment

Originally posted by BrianByrne View Post
                          jesus i was only joking..
                          Me too! thank me!

Comment

aha! okay,
                            I thought you were serious for second there!
                            Last edited by BrianByrne; 25-02-10, 02:49.
                            Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Comment

How can you tell how people sound (tone) online? Teach us.

Comment

it came across that way, sound being an unwise choice of word

i shall edit to "I thought you were serious for a second there!"
                                Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Comment

Originally posted by a-k-47 View Post
                                  depends on the tournaments structure, freezeout(fo) rebuy (rb), buyin, live or online. Generally in a rebuy play very loose, try build up an above avg stack before the rebuy is over. Then generally tighten up your game and pick your spots. Some players play very aggressively throughout the whole tournament, player dependent really. You also have to take into account your stack size compared to the avg stack sizes, when the bubble is approaching you dont want to be lower than the avg cos they will be out to bust you. Some ppl take into account the 10bb rule and generally push any 2 cards (ATC). Ive often let myself get down to 5bbs and crawled back so each to their own. Final table approach (FT) normally is great for widening your range and stealing blinds, never be afraid to get them in the middle ... Theres plenty more other lads could add on to this.

shit i missed my 5k add on in the 3k speed lol...

This is the biggest mistake I see people make in rebuy tournaments imo.
                                  Finding a very loose rebuy tournament and trying to spend no more than 1 double rebuy plus an add on is a far better strategy. Use the rebuy to keep you in the game if you get coolered or if you take a plus EV shot that doesn't work out. The fact that it's a rebuy means lots of players add value by pushing up the prizepool by gambling with garbage hands. Ok it might mean you start the second hour of the tournament with an average stack, usually around 40bb. That should be plenty to play your game.

Comment

For rebuys you should NEVER have more than 3 rebuys in total unless you are playing at a level well below what your rolled for.

Buyin straight away at the start to double your stack or else you lose alot of value. if you make it to the break then top-up but don't spend more than 3 buyins.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Durkin View Post
                                      For rebuys you should NEVER have more than 3 rebuys in total unless you are playing at a level well below what your rolled for.

Buyin straight away at the start to double your stack or else you lose alot of value. if you make it to the break then top-up but don't spend more than 3 buyins.
                                      You are admittedly bad at poker yeah?

Comment

You are admittedly bad at poker yeah?
                                        Sngs yeh, not tourneys. And you don't have to be a genius to know the basic strategy.

Comment

Sngs yeh, not tourneys. And you don't have to be a genius to know the basic strategy.
                                          But I'm better than you, no? Prop bet! But when you pay up I will do it. C'mon, bitta fun.

Comment

But I'm better than you, no? Prop bet! But when you pay up I will do it. C'mon, bitta fun.
                                            Don't play online anymore or have the time or else i probably would for a laugh. Would take too long anyway to play enough tourneys to decide a winner.

Comment

Also can be small ball tourneys, can be a big bet. PM me!

Comment

Don't play online anymore or have the time or else i probably would for a laugh. Would take too long anyway to play enough tourneys to decide a winner.
                                                just saw, yeah if you dont play online forget it, but someday if you ever get goin lets do it yea.

Comment

3rebuys? level?

Comment

Aint seen one of these here yet so here it goes:

What strategy do all you winning players apply to large field online Mtt's?
                                                    You all believe tight is right at the beginning? if so when is it you start to open up and play more agressivley if you do at all?

Outline what you believe to be the best Mtt strategys here
                                                    IMO some good spots for being more agressive are around the bubble, particularly against average or slightly lower than average stacks. These are the stacks coming under pressure and cant 3bet without a strong holding. The bigger your stack is the more agrresive you can be at any stage of the tourney.
                                                    In the rebuy stage of a tourney if I manage to accumulate a big stack, I will tighten up until rebuys are finished and let the other stacks battle it out. Then when this stage is over and when most other players are tightening up, IMO there are much more spots to steal, the same can be said for when approaching the bubble.

Comment

Personally speaking i prefer FO. i think there a better game from the off. If I’m in the mood for a good long grind nothing surer a FO is the way to go.

I wouldn’t be getting to excited about pockets early in the game. even the hooks are a easily beatable.(hate those 2 cards with a passion) But I’m playing them very carefully.

AK I play with caution early too. Some people think there the nuts all the time. There just 2 cards and you need one of them to hit to be at least in the game.

QQ utg/ep i raise, if there is a reraise*3/4 and a call or an all-in ill just dump them. This would be later on in the game, early I think I’m gambling with them to try and get a good stack going. Gambling with AK in the same scenario would be table dependant.

Blind stealing later in the game is a lot easier as people are just not to incline to get involved with muck as their maybe watching the bubble play or their just minding their chips. But again I’m probably only doing this if I can afford to get called or not.

Bluff play is player dependant obviously I’m not going to try and bluff the guy who just called down the board with 33 and the board is top heavy and his 3s hold up. Pick on the weak 1s but don’t be putting yourself at to much of a risk. He just might be getting sick and tired of lads hitting him and he makes a stand with K3, 2 cards he wouldn’t normally play to your 9/8 or whatever.

Late in the game I think limping is just silly unless maybe your utg/ep and u have AA/KK and your just waiting for a raise so you can pop it up. But other than that I’m not limping your either in it or your not. Make your raise if there is a re-raise or shove, revaluate your hand strength and then decide if you want to flip.

FT, I just play it like a sit and go let them kill each other. Some people think FT any Ace is great; Iv seen A5 A9 and AK all-in pre-flop on the FT. AK won it.
                                                      I’m not looking to get involved in pots I don’t need to be involved in. Patience is the key. You might pick up the bullets and be all-in and he has KK and he hits the K and you’re out. (Has happened to me) but if you can final table and get busted like that. Well there isn’t noting you can do. (Maybe hang a punch bag close to your pc for times like these. trust me you’ll need it and it’s cheaper than a new laptop/screen

And on the flip side he doesn’t hit and u add to your stack and 1 player closer to the win.
                                                      I’m only playing prize money steps at this stage. I’m working on moving up the ladder to heads up and hoping when we flip my cards hold up.

My 2cents
                                                      http://www.sitnpoker.com/?amigosid=18

Comment

Originally posted by Ziggin&Zaggin View Post
                                                        Personally speaking i prefer FO. i think there a better game from the off. If I’m in the mood for a good long grind nothing surer a FO is the way to go.

I wouldn’t be getting to excited about pockets early in the game. even the hooks are a easily beatable.(hate those 2 cards with a passion) But I’m playing them very carefully.

AK I play with caution early too. Some people think there the nuts all the time. There just 2 cards and you need one of them to hit to be at least in the game.

QQ utg/ep i raise, if there is a reraise*3/4 and a call or an all-in ill just dump them. This would be later on in the game, early I think I’m gambling with them to try and get a good stack going. Gambling with AK in the same scenario would be table dependant.

Blind stealing later in the game is a lot easier as people are just not to incline to get involved with muck as their maybe watching the bubble play or their just minding their chips. But again I’m probably only doing this if I can afford to get called or not.

Bluff play is player dependant obviously I’m not going to try and bluff the guy who just called down the board with 33 and the board is top heavy and his 3s hold up. Pick on the weak 1s but don’t be putting yourself at to much of a risk. He just might be getting sick and tired of lads hitting him and he makes a stand with K3, 2 cards he wouldn’t normally play to your 9/8 or whatever.

Late in the game I think limping is just silly unless maybe your utg/ep and u have AA/KK and your just waiting for a raise so you can pop it up. But other than that I’m not limping your either in it or your not. Make your raise if there is a re-raise or shove, revaluate your hand strength and then decide if you want to flip.

FT, I just play it like a sit and go let them kill each other. Some people think FT any Ace is great; Iv seen A5 A9 and AK all-in pre-flop on the FT. AK won it.
                                                        I’m not looking to get involved in pots I don’t need to be involved in. Patience is the key. You might pick up the bullets and be all-in and he has KK and he hits the K and you’re out. (Has happened to me) but if you can final table and get busted like that. Well there isn’t noting you can do. (Maybe hang a punch bag close to your pc for times like these. trust me you’ll need it and it’s cheaper than a new laptop/screen

And on the flip side he doesn’t hit and u add to your stack and 1 player closer to the win.
                                                        I’m only playing prize money steps at this stage. I’m working on moving up the ladder to heads up and hoping when we flip my cards hold up.

My 2cents
                                                        Whats FO? Freezeout?

Comment

Yeah, Freezeout
                                                          Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Ziggin&Zaggin View Post

My 2cents
                                                            pretty much this
                                                            i was going to write a big spiff about this and see what people thought of my stratergy

there is just one or two points i would have a different view about but not totally dissagree with. i agree AK and JJ are to be treated with caution but just cause there is alot of action that dosn't mean that you shouldn't take a flop if you can see it a a reasonable price,QQ is a pretty big hand and thst is a pretty big laydown and a pretty tight read to say that it is beaten at this stage(preflop). imo there is alot of "bad" players here at this atage and there idea of a big hand ranges from 99+, QJ+ and A10+, thats not to say that you won't be outdrawn.

straight after the bubble has burst is another dangerous stage of the game, the short stacks that have been hanging on to make the money are now scrambling to add to their stacks and are pushing with medium holdings here in the hope of getting lucky, if you get a big hand here you should not be worried about getting action also you should not be sfraid to call pushes by small stacks from late positions with reasonable hands at this stage.

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Wrong forum imo

Comment

The QQ laydown would be a re-raise to my raise and then a push allin. i dont think this a big laydown in this spot.

i agree with you on the post bubble play. it can get a bit up in the air as small stacks try to double up.
                                                                http://www.sitnpoker.com/?amigosid=18

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                  Wrong forum imo
                                                                  ah sorry m8 i didnt realise...just as this forum is called Online Tournaments and the thread is about online tournament strategy i thought here was best.
                                                                  Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Comment

this is all over the place imo,

if you want to learn how to play tournaments there is a vast amount of material out there, you just have to find that until you even grasp some of the basics most of it will just blow over your head

also a few of the responses have been poor advice as its very results orientated

and the thing with tourneys and poker the answer is it depends a bunch

and saying how you exactly play a spot is wrong imo
                                                                    http://drjff.blogspot.com/

Comment

ah sorry m8 i didnt realise...just as this forum is called Online Tournaments and the thread is about online tournament strategy i thought here was best.
                                                                      I was only joking. It's not a big deal.
                                                                      Theory forum is for online/live/tourney/cash. It's not busy enough to split it yet.

Actually, I'd just ignore this whole thread. As sone of the advice is terrible. If you follow those lines you could end up with serious flaws in your game.

If you want tourny strat. Read Harrington on hold'em 1.

Comment

I was only joking. It's not a big deal.
                                                                        Actually, I'd just ignore this whole thread. As sone of the advice is terrible. If you follow those lines you could end up with serious flaws in your game.

If you want tourny strat. Read Harrington on hold'em 1.
                                                                        Absolutely agree with this!
                                                                        Buy and Sell bitcoin in Ireland with Bitireland Broker Ltd.
                                                                        www.bitireland.ie

Comment

How do they get the fig in the fig roll?

Comment

[/B].
                                                                            each to their own

there are numerous stratergies to playing a tournie and what works for you might not work for me and visa versa.

some people play very loose at the start of a tournie and play alot of marginal hands oop in the hope of seeing a cheap flop hitting big and getting paid off if they don't hit the flop its no biggie just lay it down and move on with very little damage done to your stack. others play very tight in order to avoid donks and luckboxes and only play premium hands safe in the knowledge that they will get action due to the high amt of inexperienced players in the early stages.

some people bully the bubble knowing that the weaker players will lay down easily and they can pick up the blinds others continue to play position and premium hands.

after the bubble some people prefer to stay clear of the pending madness as the shortstacks are shoving left right and centre with any 2 cards and are not willing to put their stack at risk in a multiway pot with medium pairs, others see a hand like 10 10 as a monster when 1 or 2 small stacks have pushed into you especially if their stacks represents a small portion of your stack.

what iam trying to say is tournies are not like sngs where there is one specific stratergy. different players have different stratergies based on what type of tournie, what size field, what type of structure. these decisions are all made prior to the start of the tournie. your stratergy could change during the tournie based on several things like players at your table, your stack size , your oppenents stack size, your position in the field, what stage the tournie is at and your own mental state.

stratergies are player dependant and its up to you to figure out a stratergy that best suits your style of play.

don't set targets for yourself other than iam going to win this tournie, saying i will have double my starting stack by the end of the first break or i will have an above average stack by the time the bubble bursts is a bad idea from a mental point of view as you will play -ev poker in order to try and achieve these targets putting you under unwanted mental pressure.

finally play within your bankroll
                                                                            the saying about not playing with scared money is true

and thats all i have to say on the matter

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Working...
                                                                            X