JJ-Hate this hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JJ-Hate this hand

Played a live tournament last Tuesday night. Mid tournament, i was on the button, blinds 500, 1k with pocket jacks. UTG limps in, i raise four and a half times big blind (had about 20K) Big blind and UTG calls.

Flop comes out 3, 6, 10, all different suits. BB bets around half the pot, UTG calls, i re-raise and put myself all in.

BB calls with King, ten, UTG folds. Board runs out and i win pot. Nice little double up.

I've a few questions about the way i played this. Was the raise pre-flop ok. Too much/too little, considering my position?

Was the all in move on the flop the right move? Considering the board and the chips i'd committed to the pot i think it was.

Have people any other ideas on how to play JJ with an average stack, because i've ran into trouble with the feckers a fair bit lately, particularly on final tables.

This is my first post of this nature so take it easy on me!

Well played.

Comment

Yeah, think this is fine. Maybe opening to 3750/4200 is better though. (not a huge difference though)

Hand plays itself postflop. I hope you were calling any 3bet shove pre?

Comment

Originally posted by Kiplesworth View Post
        Played a live tournament last Tuesday night. Mid tournament, i was on the button, blinds 500, 1k with pocket jacks. UTG limps in, i raise four and a half times big blind (had about 20K) Big blind and UTG calls.

Flop comes out 3, 6, 10, all different suits. BB bets around half the pot, UTG calls, i re-raise and put myself all in.

BB calls with King, ten, UTG folds. Board runs out and i win pot. Nice little double up.

I've a few questions about the way i played this. Was the raise pre-flop ok. Too much/too little, considering my position?

Was the all in move on the flop the right move? Considering the board and the chips i'd committed to the pot i think it was.

Have people any other ideas on how to play JJ with an average stack, because i've ran into trouble with the feckers a fair bit lately, particularly on final tables.

This is my first post of this nature so take it easy on me!
        I'd have personally made it less pre-flop because with your raise you're fairly committing yourself to the hand which I don't mind tbh. After you make it 4500 and get a caller, including the blinds the pot is 14,000 and you're only play 15,500. Obviously on a 10 high fliop you're not folding. Dream flop for you.

I'm happy enough to jam JJ pre-flop in situations like this tbh unless you think the UTG is capable of limping with a monster.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
          Yeah, think this is fine. Maybe opening to 3750/4200 is better though. (not a huge difference though)

Hand plays itself postflop. I hope you were calling any 3bet shove pre?
          Dont know about the 3bet shove. BB was an extremely tight player. Serious range of AA, AK, KK. I would have considered folding if he re-raised pre flop.

I was kacking it when he called the initial raise, but on the flop my spinchter loosened. I was surprised at his call, but he was pot committed too. It was after the rebuy stages as well and i'd gambled a bit prior to that. I suspect he thought i had a watery hand.
          Originally posted by peterswellman View Post
          I'd have personally made it less pre-flop because with your raise you're fairly committing yourself to the hand which I don't mind tbh. After you make it 4500 and get a caller, including the blinds the pot is 14,000 and you're only play 15,500. Obviously on a 10 high fliop you're not folding. Dream flop for you.

I'm happy enough to jam JJ pre-flop in situations like this tbh unless you think the UTG is capable of limping with a monster.
          Dream flop, but if it came out with an ace, king or queen i was kacking it. I'd agree with you about the pre-flop raise as well. Thought it was a bit much, but i got maximum value in the end.

Comment

Dont know about the 3bet shove. BB was an extremely tight player. Serious range of AA, AK, KK. I would have considered folding if he re-raised pre flop.

I was kacking it when he called the initial raise, but on the flop my spinchter loosened. I was surprised at his call, but he was pot committed too. It was after the rebuy stages as well and i'd gambled a bit prior to that. I suspect he thought i had a watery hand.

Dream flop, but if it came out with an ace, king or queen i was kacking it. I'd agree with you about the pre-flop raise as well. Thought it was a bit much, but i got maximum value in the end.
            I don't think you can raise fold so much of your stack man. I think the best solution might be to just shove this pre-flop tbh. You're stack is fairly shallow imo. You have to call any 3 bet mate here. Mental not too.

Comment

I don't think you can raise fold so much of your stack man. I think the best solution might be to just shove this pre-flop tbh. You're stack is fairly shallow imo. You have to call any 3 bet mate here. Mental not too.
              I'm not sure, 20bigs is definitely playable, and we have a hand that doesn't really fare well vs most people's 20bb shove calling range. Which is pretty much TT+ AQs+.

I prefer a raise to something between 3 and 4bbs, and play some poker postflop.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                I'm not sure, 20bigs is definitely playable, and we have a hand that doesn't really fare well vs most people's 20bb shove calling range. Which is pretty much TT+ AQs+.

I prefer a raise to something between 3 and 4bbs, and play some poker postflop.
                I know, I do too but I rarely try and let myself go below 20bb's if at all possible. So I can see an argument for jamming at times. I think we jam and we can be called lighter than TT and AQ personally. I have seen people snap 20bb pushes with low pairs....not saying it s good play or anything but it can happen.

Comment

I know, I do too but I rarely try and let myself go below 20bb's if at all possible. So I can see an argument for jamming at times. I think we jam and we can be called lighter than TT and AQ personally. I have seen people snap 20bb pushes with low pairs....not saying it s good play or anything but it can happen.
                  Interesting take on things and i'm digressing here, but i only start jamming when i have between 10-15 bb. I'm happiest around the 30 mark, and thats where i try and keep it.

I'm getting chipped out then at final tables, end up pushing too much with marginal hands.

Comment

As far as Peters statement about not falling below 20x I play these kind of tournaments all the time and they get extremely crap shooty at the business end where avg stack gets to like 18x at times so its difficult.

About the hand itself I like the line you took pre and you got a pretty sexy flop that you should be committed to almost 100% of the time in that spot.

*If your considering folding to a 3bet ship your read has gotta be he will ONLY do it with aa-qq 100% of the time because even considering raise-folding jj 20x deep is SUPER weak!
                    http://carlmorrissey.blogspot.com/
                    http://twitter.com/#!/Moro88

Comment

3500 preflop.
                      Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Pre was way too big. Should of been 3000-3500 imo.
                        you were putting in over 205 of your stack and 505 of the time the flops contains at least one overcard

If he called you 4500 raise with K10 OOP and got it in on the flop then he wasn't a seriously tight player.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

If he called you 4500 raise with K10 OOP and got it in on the flop then he wasn't a seriously tight player.
                          He played very few hands, one with AA and the other with AK, that was the only info i had on him. And to be honest he looked light a tight arse.

I couldnt believe it myself when he turned over the K10.

Comment

I'd be making it 3700 or so pre-flop. I want action with a hand that strong. Shoving for 20bbs seems really bad to me. There would need to be some weird dynamic where people are calling off super light for me to shove for 20bbs here.

I'd never be folding to a 3bet pre. Raise/folding JJ with 20bbs is beyond awful.

Obviously your read on the BB being tight is wrong seeing how he donked off with KTo OOP.

Comment

Working...
                            X