Racing with 8's - in the IPO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racing with 8's - in the IPO

This came up in the IPO - and it's taking me until now to ask for your opinions.

Details are sketchy but about right.

Blinds are 200/400/25
    I've 12k. started with 8k. I've been quite aggro. raising/3betting alot preflop and cbetting tonnes also. Villian is a pub player with 6/7k. Playing very tight - hasn't been involved in very much so far.

I'm in EP - maybe UTG +1. I look down at 88 and raise to 1k. Folded around to the SB (villian) who shoves. BB folds.

After some soul reading I ask him has he got AK or AQ?. He says "sorry?" I ask again. he says "You'll have to pay to find out". I'm not saying that this helped me, but would it help any of you? Anyway - I folded.

What I'm asking is: If I thought this was a race - should I have raced this early on for half my stack?

My thoughts were that if he had 99/TT/JJ/QQ/KK/AA - he could well have shoved here - he was a pub player after all. Therefore it's not a race.

He's also shoving with AK/AQ/AJ/AT. Could he be shoving with 44/55/66/77 ? There's also other combos too. It's race time.
    FWIW I don't think he's the type of player to realise how much I've been raising/betting preflop. - However I stand to be corrected.

I know i could stove it, but i didn't have this advantage at the table. Also as a MTT player I don't/can't rely on stove to help me with these decisions.

Also - this happened about an hour later and I folded too - against a similar but maybe a bit better player.

If it was 99 I was instacalling BTW.

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
    This came up in the IPO - and it's taking me until now to ask for your opinions.

Details are sketchy but about right.

Blinds are 200/400/25
    I've 12k. started with 8k. I've been quite aggro. raising/3betting alot preflop and cbetting tonnes also. Villian is a pub player with 6/7k. Playing very tight - hasn't been involved in very much so far.

I'm in EP - maybe UTG +1. I look down at 88 and raise to 1k. Folded around to the SB (villian) who shoves. BB folds.

After some soul reading I ask him has he got AK or AQ?. He says "sorry?" I ask again. he says "You'll have to pay to find out". I'm not saying that this helped me, but would it help any of you? Anyway - I folded.

What I'm asking is: If I thought this was a race - should I have raced this early on for half my stack?

My thoughts were that if he had 99/TT/JJ/QQ/KK/AA - he could well have shoved here - he was a pub player after all. Therefore it's not a race.

He's also shoving with AK/AQ/AJ/AT. Could he be shoving with 44/55/66/77 ? There's also other combos too. It's race time.
    FWIW I don't think he's the type of player to realise how much I've been raising/betting preflop. - However I stand to be corrected.

I know i could stove it, but i didn't have this advantage at the table. Also as a MTT player I don't/can't rely on stove to help me with these decisions.

Also - this happened about an hour later and I folded too - against a similar but maybe a bit better player.

If it was 99 I was instacalling BTW.
    Fold here because of bolded. No way you can be sure he has AK.

If you don't mind me asking why you snapping with 99?

EDIT: I fold because it's only 1k which you should be able to get back easily enough considering how tight he's playing. I think alot of the time you could be crushed here. Don't need to race for 20bb against a lesser player.
    Last edited by peterswellman; 26-10-10, 00:08.

Comment

To say you cant rely on stove is absurd, stove it now vs that range and you will know for future, stove it changing your hand and his range and play around with ranges so you have a better idea in the future. fwiw I think this is a raise fold live vs a nit fish

Comment

Working...
      X