U.S. with a criminal record?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U.S. with a criminal record?

Just going to throw this out there because maybe someone might have come accross this or have experience with it,

Is it possible to travel to the states with a criminal record?

Went through thier sites and understand that motor offence and other small stuff might not hinder your travel plans but what about the more serious offences (which incured a 3 year suspended sentence) Is there no hope or would i get away with just not saying a word about anything?

It would be a bit of a gamble.
    Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

the reality I think if you were to do everything by the book and told them everything straight up thier simple reply will most probably be f*ck right off and dont bother and then they'd have you on record and details and that but if you just went for it slim chance of slipping past,

Anyone have any experience of (or someone) telling them right i've been convicted of bla bla bla?

Comment

took a trip to US a couple yr back, dont have a conviction r that. but i was never asked for anything. just bought my ticket and boarded plane.
        i didnt look for visa or didnt get asked nouth. but it was only a hol so maybe diff for for diff circumstances
        http://www.sitnpoker.com/?amigosid=18

Comment

Originally posted by Ziggin&Zaggin View Post
          took a trip to US a couple yr back, dont have a conviction r that. but i was never asked for anything. just bought my ticket and boarded plane.
          i didnt look for visa or didnt get asked nouth. but it was only a hol so maybe diff for for diff circumstances
          Unlikely, you have to fill out two forms on the plane, questions like do you have a criminal record and were you in the nazi party included. They then check this stuff out while they take your fingerprint and question you.

Comment

They now have a thing called ESTA "Electronic System for Travel Authorization" you have to apply to them before you travel think they do backround & criminal checks and that

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.h...A-76C79430E2AA

Comment

It seems to be more the nature of the offence rather than the existence of a criminal record.
              Have a read of this particularly the sections dealing with 'moral turpitude'.

My interpretation of it is that it depends on the nature of the offence as to whether you will a) be able to apply for the visa waiver via the ESTA or b) not be able to apply via ESTA but have to go to the Embassy but shouldn't be rejected or c) will have to go to the Embassy and may be refused.

Comment

If you're going to gamble fly Dublin to America direct as immigration is done in Dublin, better to be rejected here than turned around when you arrive.

Comment

Just get it cleared in the embassy before you leave, they'll make you jump through a few hoops but it should be grand. Guy I know had a serious conviction and done this.
                  Last edited by Zosma; 02-10-10, 03:53.

Comment

Has paul williams given you a nickname yet?

Comment

I got in with no hassle and you couldnt read my list of convictions in a wk .
                      I contacted the embassy first and they sent me forms to get signed by the garda . Then a m8 of mine (garda) told me not to bother with it as by sending these in you would only be highlighting the fact that you have a criminal record and if they didnt like the look of you then home you go .

From what he said they have no actual access to your records and unless you have committed some act of terrorism you wont be on their database.
                      so in short you'll be fine .

Comment

Originally posted by DAMO72 View Post
                        I contacted the embassy first and they sent me forms to get signed by the garda . Then a m8 of mine (garda) told me not to bother with it as by sending these in you would only be highlighting the fact that you have a criminal record and if they didnt like the look of you then home you go .

From what he said they have no actual access to your records and unless you have committed some act of terrorism you wont be on their database.
                        Wow you dodged this bullet too? Such a lucksack Damo!

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                          Unlikely, you have to fill out two forms on the plane, questions like do you have a criminal record and were you in the nazi party included. They then check this stuff out while they take your fingerprint and question you.

bohsman im tellin ya man i was never asked for a single thing. well at least i dont rem being asked and i think i would rem that.

and finger printing no no sir. and i flew on the 11sept 2002
                          Last edited by Ziggin&Zaggin; 02-10-10, 11:54.
                          http://www.sitnpoker.com/?amigosid=18

Comment

Originally posted by DAMO72 View Post

So there is an advantage of being years behind the u.s., almost all the records on hard copy and everything on computer over there.

Comment

if they didnt like the look of you then home you go .

and who wud like the look of u ewwwwwwwww

Comment

Originally posted by limplimplimp View Post
                                if they didnt like the look of you then home you go .

and who wud like the look of u ewwwwwwwww
                                Yore Maaa

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                  It would be a bit of a gamble.
                                  Not enough love for this.
                                  'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

didn't travel to the us in nearly 2yrs
                                    but the system then was that they took your photo and finger prints at shannon(presumably to check against there database of terrorists and other most wanted lists) you then boarded the plane and filled out 2 forms i of which was in relation to the dept of agriculture (but not to sure about that) and the other asked you all them stupid questions like "are you now or were you ever a nazi" like wtf who in their right mind would put in 'yes iam a practicing nazi' or the terrorist question 'yes iam a terrorist why only last week i lobbed two grenades over a wall into a us army camp'. anyhow when you got to the states you then went through immigration where they stamped your passport
                                    if this is still in place then i would say nothing about my criminal record.
                                    but afaik that all changed late last year or early this year, where now you must fill in all relevant information online at least 2 weeks prior to departure. i presume this is to allow for a more intensive backround search. if this is the case then you would be better to contact the embassy aand ask them what the procedure is.

on a more positive note
                                    they left gerry adams in last year

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by Ziggin&Zaggin View Post
                                      bohsman im tellin ya man i was never asked for a single thing. well at least i dont rem being asked and i think i would rem that.

and finger printing no no sir. and i flew on the 11sept 2002
                                      A lot has changed in the last 8 years, esp with america.
                                      But you still almost certainly filled out a card for america in 2002. Its a tiny card and you do it on the plane. Or did it. It's different now.

Comment

Working...
                                      X