flop trebs against 90% sure big pair on flop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flop trebs against 90% sure big pair on flop

playing 1/2 cash game the other night around 2am, so mixture of sober & drunk people. full table, so playing 9 handed.

BB & myself on the Button i would consider the most competent at the table & we are both wary of each other, as others playing very very loose. neither of us has got out of line playing around 2 hours.

BB has around 350e, utg-1 400e, mid 150e & i cover with 450e..

6 limpers into BB, who raises to 25 euro. utg-1, mid & CO calls. I am on button with 33, so i call. suspect call??

flop comes 3s,8d,Jd...BB leads for 45e, utg-1 folds, mid goes all in for 120e. action to me..after a 2 minute dwell, i go all in . I put the BB on a big pocket pair...should i have just flat called discounting that the BB has 2 diamonds as i'm 90% sure he has QQ,KK or AA???

mid player calls clock after only around 1 minute, so BB throws away his hand face up, showing KK...

could i have got more value by flat calling, even though he would have suspected a trap as oppossed to a drawing hand by me?

I think you played it fine. I like the limp behind. I like the call of the raise pre after the 3 fish call. Good implied odds to flop set. I like your shove if you would do the same with a big draw. I think just flatting the shove shows more strength than your shove.
    Last edited by ikilldurrr1; 08-09-10, 10:37.

Comment

If he's as competent as you say, then he'll know you're not flat calling €120 on a draw, so he'll more than likely know you're trapping him

Comment

Preflop is fine, especially when you're on the button. I don't mind the shove but look at how it would have played out with a flat call.

There's now circa 390 (if you flat the 120) in the pot with the BB facing a 75 bet to see the turn which imo pretty much prices an over pair in and I can't see him folding here.

This now leaves him with a stack of circa 210 and out of position in a total pot of 465 (that he's led the betting in twice OOP).

This leaves you in a great spot. Lets look at some turn card scenario's.

A blank: With 210 behind he knows he can't check without you betting any two cards. Potentially he'll shove here in an attempt to block any semi-bluff draws

A diamond: If your read is correct and he has a big pair there's a 50% chance this will give him a diamond draw to a Q,K,A high flush and he'll find it very hard to not shove or check/call his remaining 210 here.

In position to the BB I prefer the call marginally, OOP I'd go with the shove.

Note: Figures are rough
        Last edited by Reaps; 08-09-10, 11:34.
        You see Billy it's like this, you either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked

Comment

Originally posted by crow View Post
          If he's as competent as you say, then he'll know you're not flat calling €120 on a draw, so he'll more than likely know you're trapping him
          Wha? calling the 120 looks exactly like a draw
          if you flat call the BB puts you on a draw i can see him shoving with an over pair to protect it from draws.
          Shoving is not the worst thing in the world either but i prefer a flat call of he 120 and get it on any turn

Comment

Originally posted by crow View Post
            Why wouldn't he call with a draw?
            There's €180 in the middle so for €120 a flush draw or an open ender has to at least call and should probably shove to try and get rid of the overpair.
            Fwiw in this spot I shove especially if I play regularly against any of the villains so that I can shove my draws with fold equity.Balancing my range I think is what it's referred to.If this is the game in the Bank I'm definitely shoving draws to try and clean my outs.
            Last edited by Sirtoyou; 08-09-10, 12:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirtoyou View Post
              Why wouldn't he call with a draw?
              There's €180 in the middle so for €120 a flush draw or an open ender has to at least call and should probably shove to try and get rid of the overpair.
              Fwiw in this spot I shove especially if I play regularly against any of the villains so that I can shove my draws with fold equity.Balancing my range I think is what it's referred to.If this is the game in the Bank I'm definitely shoving draws to try and clean my outs.
              A good bit more than that. You have the 4 x 25 pre flop calls, the BB bet of 45, the mid shove of 120 and if hero calls another 120. So that's roughly 385 by the time it comes back to the BB if we flat call
              You see Billy it's like this, you either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked

Comment

Working...
              X