3G Broadband

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3G Broadband

Okay, I'm likely going to be moving in the near future, and am wondering if it might be worth getting a mobile broadband package as opposed to undergoing the ordeal that is getting broadband installed. Apart from basic Internet usage (forums, email, etc) I download a fair amount of movies and stuff (pretty standard).

The big thing that gives me pause though, is using the likes of NFL Game Pass, NBA League pass and ESPN360. These are sites that steam live games over the Internet. Obviously the quality of picture varies depending on the speed of your connection. I've no illusions of mobile broadband allowing me the full HD quality, but how slow is it in comparison to a good package from the likes of NTL (what I currently have)? Voadafone's website is pretty bad in terms of flat out telling you how fast the connection would be.

Any comments appreciated.
    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

dont do it, a small 7.5 to 10 gig usage allowance a month will scupper any streams and downloading

that, and the speeds are pretty terrible.
    http://mobro.co/zuroph
    donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

no chance, you will exceed every 3G cap in less than a week or two with that kind of usage.

Just suck it up and get UPC installed, I rang them on a Wednesday and had internet by Friday.

(they have been taking money from my account unauthorised for the last 3 months though!

Comment

Thank you gentlemen. Understood.
        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Hope its ok to hijack this thread.
          I'm looking for a new broadband provider. Have irish broadband (or whatever its called now) at the moment and never get download speeds of more then 500kb/s
          UPC site says that their broadband is not available on my road so looking for the next best option. Anything under 60 euro a month would be great.
          Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

I previously had Irishbroadband Ripwave. It was slow and not up to playing online poker, although I did play mini micro miniscule level MTTs. You could not play a $100 tourney in case you hit service problems.

Anyway they are now called Imagine. Last night I installed their WiMAX 7MB dongle. It goes into a USD port and installation is easy. It is a €50 start up charge, then €15 a month. There is a €100 charge if you quit in the first year. There is a also a seven day cooling off period, but I am keeping it as it is good, possibly great (only two hours used so far). The signal comes from about half a kilometer away, which is nice.

I looked up the documentation and it says 15GB download allowance for my package.

There are three products:
            WiMAX Phone: €20 a month
            WiMAX broadband: €35 a month (up to 7MB)
            WiMAX Mobile Broadband: €15 a month

The WiMax broadband has unlimited download & upload allowance. I don't know if they have to install hardware.
            Last edited by kincsem; 20-08-10, 09:03.

Comment

I tested it with http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php

Your download speed is 9.76 Mbps
              Your upload speed is 490 kbps

At 9.76 Mbps
              1MB file < 1 sec
              10 MB file in 9 secs
              100 MB file in 2 mins

When they add more customers speeds might differ

Comment

Interesting Sean. Might be an option.

Comment

That is pretty savage speed IMO.

If you can get UPC Broadband I think you're mad to use anyone else. If the wife would let me, I'd nearly move so I could get it. Although a 9mb line would probably suffice, I'm stuck on a shitty 1mb line and Eircom have been promising to upgrade the lines since I moved in 3 years ago (out of Vodafone's hands, who I'm with ATM).

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
                    Hope its ok to hijack this thread.
                    I'm looking for a new broadband provider. Have irish broadband (or whatever its called now) at the moment and never get download speeds of more then 500kb/s
                    UPC site says that their broadband is not available on my road so looking for the next best option. Anything under 60 euro a month would be great.
                    Seeing as they are out of option maybe look at Magnet they seem to have savage speeds as well but not to sure on pricing.
                    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

I actually got Wimax, but could not get coverage of more then one bar anywhere in the house, despite being in a so called "excellent coverage area". Thus I wasn't able to connect to wimax at all and have had to send the modem back.

Thanks for the replies and will have a look into magnet.
                      Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Update

Originally posted by kincsem View Post
                        I tested it with http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php

Your download speed is 9.76 Mbps
                        Your upload speed is 490 kbps

At 9.76 Mbps
                        1MB file < 1 sec
                        10 MB file in 9 secs
                        100 MB file in 2 mins

When they add more customers speeds might differ
                        Tonight

Your download speed is 2.86 Mbps
                        Your upload speed is 501 kbps

Comment

Any cable service will miles ahead of any wireless service.

I would rate them like this

1. UPC / NTL
                          2. Magent
                          3. Eircom
                          4. Other providers (BT, Vodafone wired) Normally these companies are just using eircoms line at a similar price.

Ive had the first three at different addresses and all all good.

Imagine WiMax seems to offer decent speeds but will have to wait and see how reliable their speeds and service are.

I would only use a wireless services like Imagine / 3 / Vodafone / O2 if i couldnt get a wired solution whoever it was from. There are just far more reliable, fast and consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Zuroph View Post
                            dont do it, a small 7.5 to 10 gig usage allowance a month will scupper any streams and downloading

that, and the speeds are pretty terrible.
                            In fairness I think the speeds can be fairly good

It's the usage allowance that's the killer. And it's not like real broadband where they'll throttle your speeds if you go over, no, they'll say nothing and charge you an arm and a leg ( 2c per megabyte, it quickly adds up) in your next bill is all
                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

^^ Agreed, also thats best case scenario there and its normally the minimum a wired solution will provide.

Ping times are a killer too. Like loading up new web pages and browsing the internet in general is a lot slower. And you will have less time to make decisions playing poker as well as getting disconnected a hell of a lot more.
                              Last edited by BlindLimper; 26-08-10, 15:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Ste05 View Post
                                That is pretty savage speed IMO.

If you can get UPC Broadband I think you're mad to use anyone else. If the wife would let me, I'd nearly move so I could get it. Although a 9mb line would probably suffice, I'm stuck on a shitty 1mb line and Eircom have been promising to upgrade the lines since I moved in 3 years ago (out of Vodafone's hands, who I'm with ATM).
                                Hit me with a Pm and I'll treble check for you
                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by BlindLimper View Post
                                  Any cable service will miles ahead of any wireless service.

I would rate them like this

1. UPC / NTL
                                  2. Magent
                                  3. Eircom
                                  4. Other providers (BT, Vodafone wired) Normally these companies are just using eircoms line at a similar price.

Ive had the first three at different addresses and all all good.

Imagine WiMax seems to offer decent speeds but will have to wait and see how reliable their speeds and service are.

I would only use a wireless services like Imagine / 3 / Vodafone / O2 if i couldnt get a wired solution whoever it was from. There are just far more reliable, fast and consistent.

although I'd agree with 1/2
                                  I can't understand how you'd prefer Eircom over the other providers.
                                  They are generally cheaper and much more accomadating than Eircom.
                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Working...
                                  X