Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live cash hand, did I play it wrong?

Hi all,
    This is my first thread, so take it easy on me.

I'm not usually a cash player, but was playing a few hands last night, got this hand at the end of my session and would like some feedback as to how it was played.

I was UTG, and straddled for 3 (game was .50-1) dealt As6s, and I'm playing about 70 behind

a few callers, back to me and I checked.

Flop comes Js 10s and a brick diamond.

SB made it 6, call from the BB, I called, can't remember if everyone else folded, but not important.

Turn was the Qc sb made it 10 or 15, BB made it 30, I flat called, SB called also.

At this stage I had put the othe two as chasing a smaller flush or a straight or with top pair with an ace.

River was the Kc.

SM went all in for the remainder of his stack, about 30, bb folded and I called.

I won the hand with the nut straight, but should I have done anything differently?

SB was a little upset with the hand, and while not exactly berating me, called the hand ridiculous. Should I have raised earlier?
    Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Seems pretty bad. You should really buyin for a full stack ie. 100bbs.

I think with 70bbs you should be raising the flop with intention of getting it in. Your equity pretty much halves on the turn even though you pick up extra outs. So you have no odds to make that call of 30 on the turn especially with only 31 behind.
    Last edited by ikilldurrr1; 03-08-10, 12:04.

Comment

Sounds like you were just in for a bit of a spin from your discription. Your fist mistake imo is not buying in for at least 100bb. Also when you straddle to €3 you are effectively making your stack 24bb.

Your description of the hand is not great either as you say there were a few callers pre. This will have a big effect on you actions post flop depending on how many people see the flop, the pot will be bigger and there is also a bigger chance of the nut flush getting paid off.

Also a lot of what you should do is dependant on the other players at the table. From what you have described id probably just raise the flop to ~€20 and get it. Get the rest in on the turn if ur just called on the flop.

Dont mean to be hard on you but all this extra info will get you a better answer.
      Last edited by BlindLimper; 03-08-10, 12:48.

Comment

I'd probably bump it up pre flop here. Although as has been said your playing very shallow due to less than max buy in and straddle.

Raise that flop and get it in.

Comment

Originally posted by ikilldurrr1 View Post
          Seems pretty bad. You should really buyin for a full stack ie. 100bbs.

As I said it was at the end of the night for me.

Comment

70BB while not ideal allows us to play a pot..by straddling you limit yourself to an MTT style of play.

I'm not going to comment on the rest of the hand because the info we have is so incomplete. What I will say is that a major area you need to work on is the taking in of info. (How much the other players are playing, how many players behind you, what they do, any history with villains, etc.)

All of this helps us to make our decisions but as stated above when we are shallow we must get the money in while our equity is at it's highest.
            Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Calling the €30 on the turn is pretty awful imo. As others have said I would opt for a flop raise.

Also there is no point in straddling when you are already playing a less than full stack.

Comment

Get it in on the flop. Fold turn.
                It actually is important whether the other players folded or called on the flop as it affects the size of the pot. On the turn you are facing a bet and a raise - when you just call here yes you have 12 outs - but often it will go back to the sb and he will ship, the bb will call and you will be forced to call off your last 30 with the odds you are offered.
                Im a bit baffled that sb didn't jam whatever he had on the turn for 30 more tbh

Comment

Originally posted by sligboi View Post
                  70BB while not ideal allows us to play a pot..by straddling you limit yourself to an MTT style of play.
                  TBH that's far more what I play than cash.

I'm not going to comment on the rest of the hand because the info we have is so incomplete. What I will say is that a major area you need to work on is the taking in of info. (How much the other players are playing, how many players behind you, what they do, any history with villains, etc.)
                  If I had have thought I would be describing it the next day I'd have taken notes

As for history, SB has been playing very solidly and only is getting it in with good hands.
                  BB I have no history of, but had been playing looser than the SB. I thought the BB's raise on the turn was an effort to get me off the pot and isolate the SB on the river.

SB not jamming on the turn even after a raise made me think my hand was still in a good position.

All of this helps us to make our decisions but as stated above when we are shallow we must get the money in while our equity is at it's highest.
                  Thank you, a very constructive post.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                    Calling the €30 on the turn is pretty awful imo.
                    Can I ask why and what should I have done?

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                      Can I ask why and what should I have done?
                      I think your best option on the turn as played is a fold, but the key is that you should have never have put yourself into this situation, by raising the flop.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                        TBH that's far more what I play than cash.
                        So in an MTT you're in the bb with A6s and the flop comes like this. You surely don't just call down until you hit and fold the river leaving yourself 10bbs?

If I had have thought I would be describing it the next day I'd have taken notes

As for history, SB has been playing very solidly and only is getting it in with good hands.
                        BB I have no history of, but had been playing looser than the SB. I thought the BB's raise on the turn was an effort to get me off the pot and isolate the SB on the river.
                        Describing your hand the next day should have nothing to do with how much info you assimilate during a hand. Any info you can take in and remember can make/save you money in future hands.

SB not jamming on the turn even after a raise made me think my hand was still in a good position.
                        So, what? You called the turn raise in the hope that he would shove over the raise and the call?

SB has been playing very solidly and only is getting it in with good hands.
                        This sentence is even more reason that if you are to continue with the hand on the flop you should be the aggressor and raise. His lead, based on your description, means he prob has top pair, 2pr, draw +pr or a combo draw and as such I can't emphasise how much you need to raise the flop if you want to continue with he hand.
                        Last edited by sligoboi; 03-08-10, 16:42.
                        Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Don't straddle here. You're hurting yourself by doing it, because you're greatly limiting your options on all streets. Wait until you have a lot more money in front of you before you straddle. I'd say €150 at the very minimum if the straddle is €3.
                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Yeah straddling when you only have 70bbs is ridiculous, unless you're just in the game to gamble it up and you feel you don't have an edge at the table.

If that's the case, you should be raising with the intention of stacking off on the flop 100% of the time.

Comment

Shove preflop if its NL. We have 23bb and we're just raising over limpers. If we can't shove (ie PL) then we should check back.

Check shove the flop. We're really short, the pot is pretty big relative to our stack, and peoples hand ranges are relatively weak. Not a problem if it gets checked through either.

Turn is a clear fold for reasons outlined.
                              Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFB View Post
                                Don't straddle here. You're hurting yourself by doing it, because you're greatly limiting your options on all streets. Wait until you have a lot more money in front of you before you straddle. I'd say €150 at the very minimum if the straddle is €3.
                                Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
                                Yeah straddling when you only have 70bbs is ridiculous, unless you're just in the game to gamble it up and you feel you don't have an edge at the table.

If that's the case, you should be raising with the intention of stacking off on the flop 100% of the time.
                                A lot is being made of the straddle in this hand, the op says it is late in the game so I would imagine he has been straddling for a while now, if all the other players are straddling then I can completely understand him continuing to do so, the game effectively becomes a 3 blind game.
                                The fact is he should shove the flop.
                                twitter
                                moneybookers

Comment

Originally posted by BallymoreChris View Post
                                  A lot is being made of the straddle in this hand, the op says it is late in the game so I would imagine he has been straddling for a while now, if all the other players are straddling then I can completely understand him continuing to do so, the game effectively becomes a 3 blind game.
                                  The fact is he should shove the flop.
                                  A lot is being made of it because imo it is an important factor in the hand. Instead of having 70bbs he now has 23/24. Just because others are doing it we are never obliged to straddle and with us being so shallow I would def not be doing it.
                                  Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Originally posted by sligboi View Post
                                    A lot is being made of it because imo it is an important factor in the hand. Instead of having 70bbs he now has 23/24. Just because others are doing it we are never obliged to straddle and with us being so shallow I would def not be doing it.
                                    I understand your point 100% but when the game is going for a while the straddle often becomes an unofficial blind that all players put out regardless of their stack.
                                    I've often seen it that the first straddle is being put out by everybody and its only really the second straddle that becomes an option.
                                    twitter
                                    moneybookers

Comment

Working...
                                    X