Internet speed affected after installing new Hard Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet speed affected after installing new Hard Drive

Got a new hard drive a month or so ago as the old one packed in, now before this i was running 6-7 meh download and 2 meg upload with a ping of around 40-50...
    Since i got the new hard drive put in and the computer up and running again im lucky if i hit 1.5meg download and 0.7 upload with a ping of around 150-200...

Any ideas why this might be?
    It may not be releated to the hard drive but i presume its more than coincidence
    Im with talktalk and have been on the blower to them several times to which they tell me it should be running at 10 meg min as my exchange point is about 200 yards away, they gave me a website to test the speed and get back to them with results, which i have done and i recieved the same response as above...
    Throwing it out here for help as i play full screen games online with the PC and PS3 and its pretty annoying running slow speeds as any gamers would know...
    Any help appreciated!

I feel stumped.

If you are not getting the 10meg speed then they need to sort it out.

I presume this hard drive is internal?

Do you have a modem with talk talk? Do you know how to get into the admin of it? on the admin page it will tell you what speed your connection is set up for.

Maybe another avenue to try
    Last edited by big_iain; 15-07-10, 15:37.

Comment

Originally posted by big_iain View Post
      I feel stumped.

If you are not getting the 10meg speed then they need to sort it out.

I presume this hard drive is internal?

Do you have a modem with talk talk? Do you know how to get into the admin of it? on the admin page it will tell you what speed your connection is set up for.

Maybe another avenue to try

Ah yeah internal 250gb job..
      Im using a Belkin router and there saying that i have full strength coming through to my main landline socket...

Will get on the blower to them tomorrow and try and swindle a free talktalk router from them

Comment

Same OS, firewall, drivers?
        I would look at these first. if you have an iphone you can put speedtest on it and it will give you the line speed as a comparison or use another laptop to do the same.

did you change any wireless settings on your modem/router? adding additional security such as WPA2 on a shitty wireless router can slow it also

Comment

Is this a new HD or a canabilised one?
          maybe a defrag might improve performance

The internet slow down isnt caused by your new hd, your processer is dealing with a heavier workload now.
          I will say opening and cleaning your pc/laptop makes a marked improvement on your machine
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

First thing to do is isolate the problem to your PC so suggest you get another PC/Laptop to test the speed on. If speed is same then it's a router issue.

If it's your PC/Laptop then it's probably a network card driver issue.

Is it a laptop? Do you connect via Wi-Fi or wired? Did you rebuild Windows on the new hard drive and if yes did you get the latest version of the NIC drivers and not just use the installed Windows ones.

If you do the above you more than likely will sort the problem.

Comment

It sure sounds like a coincidence. Do what TM2204 said and it should be clearer after.
              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
              X