Paddy power rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paddy power rant

Hows it going lads just would like some views on this I will try keep it brief

Placed a bet with Paddy Power on Spain to win world cup and Villa top scorer at 14/1

All good, bet comes up except Villa is joint top scorer so know im not getting full odds.

Check my account and im expecting to get paid 4/1 on spain winning (odds they were at the start of tournament with powers) ....and
    Villa was 10/1 at the start of tournament so my thinking here is as dead heat rules apply i will get quarter my stake on Villa at 10/1

Anyway check my account and am a bit stunned to see I have got paid on the whole bet quarter of my original stake.... in affect getting less than 3/1

Got on to customer service and told blah blah blah dead heat rules apply for your whole bet despite this being a double which i think is a disgrace
    Actually worst off than if i had just backed Spain as a single bet at the bad price of 4/1

Lesson learned... stop doing these silly bets which your getting no value with in the first place and close powers account, open up a new account with Betfair

Rant over hope this has not been covered in another thread

Originally posted by IGOR BISCAN View Post
    Hows it going lads just would like some views on this I will try keep it brief

Placed a bet with Paddy Power on Spain to win world cup and Villa top scorer at 14/1

All good, bet comes up except Villa is joint top scorer so know im not getting full odds.

Check my account and im expecting to get paid 4/1 on spain winning (odds they were at the start of tournament with powers) ....and
    Villa was 10/1 at the start of tournament so my thinking here is as dead heat rules apply i will get quarter my stake on Villa at 10/1

Anyway check my account and am a bit stunned to see I have got paid on the whole bet quarter of my original stake.... in affect getting less than 3/1

Got on to customer service and told blah blah blah dead heat rules apply for your whole bet despite this being a double which i think is a disgrace
    Actually worst off than if i had just backed Spain as a single bet at the bad price of 4/1

Lesson learned... stop doing these silly bets which your getting no value with in the first place and close powers account, open up a new account with Betfair

Rant over hope this has not been covered in another thread
    By giving 14/1 the double when Spain were 4/1 to win the world cup, they are in effect saying that Villa is 2/1 to be top scorer if Spain win the WC (related contingencies etc)

So I would have thought that a fair way to settle this would be that you are paid as follows:

e.g. €10 stake.

€10 x 5 = €50 (Spain WC part)

Villa part: €50 x 1/4 = €12.50 x 3= €37.50 return.

I have no idea if this is the correct way to settle this bet, but that is the way that makes sense to me. And it returns only 11/4 I see...

I may well be wrong in the above calculations though, perhaps TG or The C Kid could correct me if so.

Comment

Personally I reckon this deadheat rule for things like the goalscorer bets etc is a load of mehole (not sure what it could be replaced with tbh, full stake at % of the odds better?)

but Id say the bookies would tell you (and be right?) that the above bet is NOT a double, its a special and so is a single

*If the bookies were smart and didn't want to piss off customers who may be people who are not regular bettors the should settle the bet at the 2 prices they used to get the 14/1
      eg pay off the spain bit at the 3/1(or whatever it was)
      and the Villa bit using the deadheat rule???

best advice you can get would be:

stop doing these silly bets which your getting no value with in the first place
      Last edited by Guest; 13-07-10, 12:08. Reason: *

Comment

I think it's interesting that IGOR BISCAN joined in May but has waited until now to share his thoughts with us
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          I think it's interesting that IGOR BISCAN joined in May but has waited until now to share his thoughts with us
          sick colombo skills

Comment

He was probably working for TV out in Africa during the worldcup

Comment

LOL
              I just have had nothing good to say since May so I taught I would keep me mouth shut

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambo View Post
                Personally I reckon this deadheat rule for things like the goalscorer bets etc is a load of mehole (not sure what it could be replaced with tbh, full stake at % of the odds better?)

but Id say the bookies would tell you (and be right?) that the above bet is NOT a double, its a special and so is a single

*If the bookies were smart and didn't want to piss off customers who may be people who are not regular bettors the should settle the bet at the 2 prices they used to get the 14/1

best advice you can get would be:

Agree with what your saying Elshambo just think its a disgrace that they can get away with this and technically be in there rights
                Yes it is a special bet but its not as if there giving you great enhanced odds plus as a dead heat there means theres four winners...........in this case I be very surprised if anybody backed Spain with Forlan or Muller etc... therefore there not really paying out on four winners and only paying out on the 1 winner at a ridiculous low price.

Paddy Power pride themselves on these money back specials but in reality they make a whole lot more plus some from ripping of the joe soap gambler with bad odds and poor value as in this case

Comment

Paddy power were giving 22s on this bet pre tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Multidraw View Post
                    Paddy power were giving 22s on this bet pre tournament.

Well i got 14's on this bet the day the world cup started!

Comment

Good write up about this in today's RP. 100s of unhappy customers across the UK and Ireland about the settlement of this bet......

Comment

Agree with what your saying Elshambo just think its a disgrace that they can get away with this and technically be in there rights
                        Yes it is a special bet but its not as if there giving you great enhanced odds plus as a dead heat there means theres four winners...........in this case I be very surprised if anybody backed Spain with Forlan or Muller etc... therefore there not really paying out on four winners and only paying out on the 1 winner at a ridiculous low price.

Paddy Power pride themselves on these money back specials but in reality they make a whole lot more plus some from ripping of the joe soap gambler with bad odds and poor value as in this case
                        Its not just PP, this would be standard with all bookies.

Also for outright bets on top scorer you hardly expect them to pay the full odds on all 4 players do you.

Its up to you to know the way markets and payouts work in any bet you do, live and learn etc.
                        Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                        I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                        None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

I made this exact same bet on betfair, I bet 7 euros at 10 (9/1), but actually got back €9.97

Comment

Saw the Racing Post as well, a lot of the English bookies are now guaranteeing that you won't get a worse return than you'd have got if you'd backed Spain as a single.
                            I'd expect Powers will eventually see the logic in this.

Comment

I had Thomas muller 40/1 for top scorer. But boyles also paid me out dead heat even though muller got the golden boot for top scorer. So i therefore though thats what they would judge it on but obviously not.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                fwiw - Betfair would have settled this the exact same way and you would have zero comback as it is a p2p market so I dont understand why you think you would have been any better off over there with this bet?

However, I have sympathy for your predicament and I am having this looked at and will revert with an answer - it could take 24 hours or more though. It would have been much easier if Villa just scored another goal.
                                Feel free to look into everyone's predicament

as for the Villa piece, I was lucky my TV remote didn't smash after I threw it in frustration when he missed that chance in the 2nd half
                                Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

LOL
                                  I just have had nothing good to say since May so I taught I would keep me mouth shut
                                  Now why o why cant i be more like Igor

Comment

Thank god the world cup only comes around once every four years.

Comment

there is a disctinct difference between top goalscorer and golden boot. They have settled the bet correctly.
                                      Well you get the golden boot for being the top scorer in the world cup.
                                      But i take your point maybe im still a bit bitter about it ha.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                        Saw the Racing Post as well, a lot of the English bookies are now guaranteeing that you won't get a worse return than you'd have got if you'd backed Spain as a single.
                                        I'd expect Powers will eventually see the logic in this.
                                        read that a while ago
                                        seems bluesquare settled it something like this
                                        Originally posted by Elshambo View Post
                                        which is pretty sound, BlueSq are a decent bookie for the £5-£10 bettors imo with regard to settling stuff

paddypower/boyes/etc really should be offering me jobs seeing as im such a rock of sense

Comment

Ok il join a PP rant.

Meant to post this earlier as it pissed me off so bad. More the the stupidity of the staff member than not putting the bet on.

There was a €5 matched free bet a few weeks ago in the sunday world bet €5 on first scorer in eng vs ger game and get free €5 bet on Argentina game. So i went in and put €5 on lampard for first goal and €5 on messi. The OLD woman in the shop told me i needed to put €10 on one of the bets and i would get €5 free on the second bet.

So essentially she was saying i need to put €10 on lampard to get a free €5 bet on messi.

Am i correct in that my total outlay should be €5 not €10 ?

PP shop was dungarvan.
                                          Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Something is clearly very wrong with how those bets are settled if bookies can pay out less on a double (it is a double, even though they are related) than one of the singles in the case of a dead heat.

Pretty shocking and retarded stuff. Whoever set up the rules for those type of bets should be shot.

Its so clearly wrong. While bookies are obv within their rights, it should be pretty clear what price this should have been settled at, rather than the price they are required to settle it at.
                                            Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

fwiw - Betfair would have settled this the exact same way and you would have zero comback as it is a p2p market so I dont understand why you think you would have been any better off over there with this bet?

However, I have sympathy for your predicament and I am having this looked at and will revert with an answer - it could take 24 hours or more though. It would have been much easier if Villa just scored another goal.
                                              Will any solution that you have be for all customers?

I ask because i had the same bet as the OP,albeit, i got got it at 22/1 pre tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                                Ok il join a PP rant.

Meant to post this earlier as it pissed me off so bad. More the the stupidity of the staff member than not putting the bet on.

There was a €5 matched free bet a few weeks ago in the sunday world bet €5 on first scorer in eng vs ger game and get free €5 bet on Argentina game. So i went in and put €5 on lampard for first goal and €5 on messi. The OLD woman in the shop told me i needed to put €10 on one of the bets and i would get €5 free on the second bet.

So essentially she was saying i need to put €10 on lampard to get a free €5 bet on messi.

Am i correct in that my total outlay should be €5 not €10 ?

PP shop was dungarvan.

seeing as we are all jumping on paddys back here

i played a $5 sng earlier today on ppp and lost
                                                now i can't see how this could be fair on me, is there anyway i could get my $5.50 back...... i'am looking in your direction here now noel......... i mean is this a ppp thing or do i take it up with ipoker.

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Did you really think that? They are obviously related.
                                                  The double if unrelated should of been 54/1 with those prices. You were settled poorly, but you suggestion was never happening either.

Originally posted by paddyh1989 View Post
                                                  I had Thomas muller 40/1 for top scorer. But boyles also paid me out dead heat even though muller got the golden boot for top scorer. So i therefore though thats what they would judge it on but obviously not.
                                                  Well you get the golden boot for being the top scorer in the world cup.
                                                  But i take your point maybe im still a bit bitter about it ha.
                                                  If you back the golden boot then you'd of gotten full stake.

And you don't get the golden boot for top scorer, you get it for top scorer with most assists.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                    Did you really think that? They are obviously related.
                                                    The double if unrelated should of been 54/1 with those prices. You were settled poorly, but you suggestion was never happening either.
                                                    Think you took me up wrong here Mellor
                                                    For example my wager is 20 euro on a 14/1 double
                                                    As Spain were 4/1 with powers when i originally done the bet i would get the full 4/1 as this was the outcome...80 euro winnings
                                                    On The top goalscorer Villa was 10/1 so as this is the only part of the bet that was actually a dead heat ( i know this is not the way the bookmaker looks at it ) i would get quarter my stake on at 10/1 i.e in this case 5 euro .... 50 euro winnings plus my stake back so a total of 150 euro for the whole bet.
                                                    Think this would be a reasonable compromise but could not see it happening
                                                    Last edited by Ste05; 14-07-10, 08:58. Reason: fix quote

Comment

Think you took me up wrong here Mellor
                                                      For example my wager is 20 euro on a 14/1 double
                                                      As Spain were 4/1 with powers when i originally done the bet i would get the full 4/1 as this was the outcome...80 euro winnings
                                                      On The top goalscorer Villa was 10/1 so as this is the only part of the bet that was actually a dead heat ( i know this is not the way the bookmaker looks at it ) i would get quarter my stake on at 10/1 i.e in this case 5 euro .... 50 euro winnings plus my stake back so a total of 150 euro for the whole bet.
                                                      Think this would be a reasonable compromise but could not see it happening
                                                      But if you did a double at 10/1 and 4/1, the odds would be 40/1 (even though AFAIK PP had Villa at 8/1 pre tournament, as I also bet on him at those odds)

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong here but....

You took a special at 14/1. So.... that means by your own posting you didn't put a double on 2 bets with prices of 4/1 and 10/1

If you take one of those odds, say the 10/1 on Villa, if the double price was 14/1, that would mean the actual odds on Spain winning the WC (with DV as top scorer) was 1.4/1 or the other way round, with Spain at 4/1, would mean Villa as top scorer (with Spain winning) was 3.5/1

so:
                                                      €10 on Spain at 4/1 = 40
                                                      (1/4 of €10) 2.5 on Villa at 3.5 = 8.75
                                                      + €10 stake, equals €58.75 returned.

But one things IMO is also certain, the bet shouldn't pay out less then a straight Spain win bet, that's also mental IMO.
                                                      Last edited by Ste05; 14-07-10, 09:12. Reason: misread

Comment

Originally posted by Ste05 View Post
                                                        But if you did a double at 10/1 and 4/1, the odds would be 40/1 (even though AFAIK PP had Villa at 8/1 pre tournament, as I also bet on him at those odds)

You took a special at 14/1. So.... that means by your own posting you didn't put a double on 2 bets with prices of 4/1 and 10/1

If you take one of those odds, say the 10/1 on Villa, if the double price was 14/1, that would mean the actual odds on Spain winning the WC (with DV as top scorer) was 1.4/1 or the other way round, with Spain at 4/1, would mean Villa as top scorer (with Spain winning) was 3.5/1

so:
                                                        €10 on Spain at 4/1 = 40

But one things IMO is also certain, the bet shouldn't pay out less then a straight Spain win bet, that's also mental IMO.

Sorry my bet was a "special" at 14/1 (not that special as i see other lads got 22/1 pre tournament )
                                                        So although technically its a double, Paddy power or indeed any bookmaker treat it as a single.
                                                        All i was saying was that a good compromise to this bet would be as above imo
                                                        I would not expect this and it be more out of hope, yes to think you get less here than a single bet is laughable and surely the powers that be can see this to if you pardon the pun

Comment

I had this same bet on betfair at 14, and it was settled the same way at 3.5 :/

On the upside, my 3 top goalscorer bets were kaka @ 50, Muller @ 450 and Sneijder @ 210!

Comment

Ste you are mistaken there, if DV is 10/1 then Spain to win (with Villa as top scorer) is 4/11 in this bet, giving that the double price was 14/1, and if Spain to win are 4/1, then DV being top scorer is only 2/1.

so:
                                                            €10 on Spain at 4/1 = 40
                                                            Even if those prices where correct, you would only return €2.50 of the stake in the last line, not €10. The other €7.50 is lost as part of the dead heat rule.

But one things IMO is also certain, the bet shouldn't pay out less then a straight Spain win bet, that's also mental IMO
                                                            Agreed it is harsh, but the rules in this case are pretty clear. I would be surprised however if most bookies don't settle it at 4/1, out of fairness to the customer. Alot of punters who are returned a measly amount will just get pissed off with the bookies, and its not worth the bad publicity for the companies.

Comment

Sorry my bet was a "special" at 14/1 (not that special as i see other lads got 22/1 pre tournament )
                                                              So although technically its a double, Paddy power or indeed any bookmaker treat it as a single.
                                                              All i was saying was that a good compromise to this bet would be as above imo
                                                              I would not expect this and it be more out of hope, yes to think you get less here than a single bet is laughable and surely the powers that be can see this to if you pardon the pun
                                                              I think the confusion comes from the fact that you were adding 10/1 and 4/1 together for 14/1 this isn't the way its done.

The bet is a single, not a double. You can't have a double on a bet like that. At those odds the "double" odds would be 54/1 ($1@10/1 returns 11 and 11@ 4/1 returns $55)

Look at it this way.
                                                              Spain/Müller
                                                              Spain/Villa
                                                              Spain/Sneijder
                                                              Spain/Forlán

All the above bets won, and would of been paid out. These are 4 singles, and because it was split 4 ways, they all get 1/4 stake on the full odds.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                I think the confusion comes from the fact that you were adding 10/1 and 4/1 together for 14/1 this isn't the way its done.

The bet is a single, not a double. You can't have a double on a bet like that. At those odds the "double" odds would be 54/1 ($1@10/1 returns 11 and 11@ 4/1 returns $55)

Look at it this way.
                                                                Spain/Müller
                                                                Spain/Villa
                                                                Spain/Sneijder
                                                                Spain/Forlán

All the above bets won, and would of been paid out. These are 4 singles, and because it was split 4 ways, they all get 1/4 stake on the full odds.
                                                                Whether you treat it this way, or as a double and discounting one of the parts of it, it still returns the same.

Comment

Only when you base the odds on taking the win price and working out the top goalscorer "odds", which is hardly surprising as you are just breaking 14/1 into two bets and dividing by 4 (it doesn't matter where you divide, its coumpound)

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                    Ste you are mistaken there, if DV is 10/1 then Spain to win (with Villa as top scorer) is 4/11 in this bet, giving that the double price was 14/1, and if Spain to win are 4/1, then DV being top scorer is only 2/1.

Even if those prices where correct, you would only return €2.50 of the stake in the last line, not €10. The other €7.50 is lost as part of the dead heat rule.

Agreed it is harsh, but the rules in this case are pretty clear. I would be surprised however if most bookies don't settle it at 4/1, out of fairness to the customer. Alot of punters who are returned a measly amount will just get pissed off with the bookies, and its not worth the bad publicity for the companies.
                                                                    Cool, it was just a stab in the dark, I'm very much a sports betting gombeen.

Question though, on this bit:
                                                                    "if the double price was 14/1, and if Spain to win are 4/1, then DV being top scorer is only 2/1" Are the odds not just multiplied together or divided, so 4x2=8??

I just don't understand the maths on that bit, some illumination would be much appreciated?

Comment

Cool, it was just a stab in the dark, I'm very much a sports betting gombeen.

Question though, on this bit:
                                                                      "if the double price was 14/1, and if Spain to win are 4/1, then DV being top scorer is only 2/1" Are the odds not just multiplied together or divided, so 4x2=8??

I just don't understand the maths on that bit, some illumination would be much appreciated?
                                                                      The easiest way is to change the odds into decimals, so 4/1 = 5, 2/1 = 3 and so on.

So a 4/1 and 2/1 double = 5x3=15. 15 = 14/1. Hope I've explained this ok.

The decimal odds is the winnings and the stake combined. So say you have a tenner on a 4/1 shot. You win €40 and get the €10 back, which is €50 total. Same as €10 at 5 in decimal odds, returns €50.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                        The easiest way is to change the odds into decimals, so 4/1 = 5, 2/1 = 3 and so on.

So a 4/1 and 2/1 double = 5x3=15. 15 = 14/1. Hope I've explained this ok.

The decimal odds is the winnings and the stake combined. So say you have a tenner on a 4/1 shot. You win €40 and get the €10 back, which is €50 total. Same as €10 at 5 in decimal odds, returns €50.
                                                                        Ah yes!! Cheers.

Comment

any word on the $5 sng i lost yesterday???

can i get my money back

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Please say you did Muller halfway through the tournament and not before it started?! He was a whopping 750 on Betfair. BlueSquare, I think, paid out on him without the deadheat - they obviously had taken a handful of 5ers on him.

Comment

#39
                                                                              IF a solution can be found I guess it will be applied to all www.paddypower.com customers. There are no promises on my part, I am only taking it with the relevant parties.
                                                                              Any word on this?

Comment

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Degag View Post
                                                                                Any word on this?
                                                                                yeah or my $5 sng that i lost

Comment

#41
                                                                                  sorry lads - i was out of the office towards the end of last week and i forgot about it. Will ask again tomorrow.
                                                                                  Was a compromise ever reached?
                                                                                  Tour De Mise

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  X