AK on King high flop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AK on King high flop.

This happened UKIPT side event(550). Basicially first round of the table, no reads no nothing although in that round the villian seemed to be quite active. I'm playing 10k and he's playing just under 9k.

Anyway, one mid position limper. I'm on cutoff with AKo. Blinds are 25/50 so I make it 200. Button calls and limper comes along aswell.

Flop comes K J 6 two diamonds. Checked to me and I bet 500. Button calls. Original limper folds.

Turn is a black 3. Check to me again and I fire 1050. Button calls.

River is a Q of hearts. I checked with intention of probably calling any reasonable bet. The Villian goes into the timebank and eventually declares himself all-in.

Around 4k in the middle. So it's over 7k to call. I liked my hand but what am I beating? Busted flush? I for one dislike stacking someone with top pair, top kicker early on.
    Last edited by peterswellman; 05-07-10, 12:31.

without a strong read that he's a complete fruitloop-munching maniac, you really have to lay it down

I'd probably bet a bit less on the flop btw - 400 seems about right into 675
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      without a strong read that he's a complete fruitloop-munching maniac, you really have to lay it down

I'd probably bet a bit less on the flop btw - 400 seems about right into 675
      Even with the limper? Thank you by the way.

Comment

Tough spot, you are beaten more times than not. I definitly fold here.

Obviously you are only beating a bluff, he's not shoving KQ for value

fwiw without reads, I probably make it 175 pre, 325 on the flop, check call the turn and check call a reasonable bet on the river.

Comment

Played fine, imo. Fold now. This is almost always a set or two-pair this early in a tournament.
          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I don't mind betting close to full pot on a board like that on the flop.

I'd fold the river I suppose. You can't beat any value hand at all.

I would probably bet/fold the river though. It's a bit thin but early on in a tournament you get monkeys in there with all kinds of shite. You get value from KT, K9s, K8s etc here to a bet of 1300 or so. I would bet no more then 1500 and fold to a raise.

Also, if you planned to call any bet, did that include a shove?

Comment

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
              Also, if you planned to call any bet, did that include a shove?
              Thanks. Should have stated the word reasonable .

Got shown 45 of diamonds after I folded.

Comment

This is a very tough spot against an unknown. This move is coming more and more in to fashion in live poker games like this and it really does narrow their range to complete air or absolute nuts. If he didn't show 4d5d it would have been Ad10d or 9d10d for a straight. I blame Dwan for showing everyone how it's done and how much pressure it puts on the potential caller.

Without any reads I'd prob literally toss a coin and congratulate him on a well played hand if he did hit the nuts. Would really try get any read possible of the guy tho, as I said, sick spot to be in.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFB View Post
                  Played fine, imo. Fold now. This is almost always a set or two-pair this early in a tournament.
                  I don't think this is ever two-pair in a decent game. Possibly set tho.

Comment

Originally posted by peterswellman View Post
                    Thanks. Should have stated the word reasonable .

Got shown 45 of diamonds after I folded.
                    Yeah, he either had a big hand or busted draw. Your bet sizing left you open for a big decision after putting in 1750 chips.
                    I feel by playing it smallball you get to showdown with a reasonably strong hand. It's cheaper to catch the bluffs and doesn't hurt too much when you are beaten.

Comment

Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                      This is a very tough spot against an unknown. This move is coming more and more in to fashion in live poker games like this and it really does narrow their range to complete air or absolute nuts. If he didn't show 4d5d it would have been Ad10d or 9d10d for a straight. I blame Dwan for showing everyone how it's done and how much pressure it puts on the potential caller.

Without any reads I'd prob literally toss a coin and congratulate him on a well played hand if he did hit the nuts. Would really try get any read possible of the guy tho, as I said, sick spot to be in.
                      Yeah, I've been at the end of the spot both times now and once I was shown the absolute nuts and now this occasion was a stone cold bluff.

Aye, if I had seen him play for another level I think I snap him. Hyper-aggressive but I didn't know at the time. First time i'd ever played against him.

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
                        Yeah, he either had a big hand or busted draw. Your bet sizing left you open for a big decision after putting in 1750 chips.
                        I feel by playing it smallball you get to showdown with a reasonably strong hand. It's cheaper to catch the bluffs and doesn't hurt too much when you are beaten.
                        I'd agree with you here tbf. My bet-sizing was off and a tad too big. I make the bets smaller and he can't really shove the river.

Think checking the turn is ok? Friend of mine was of the opinion of that's how to play it. Some pot control I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by peterswellman View Post
                          I'd agree with you here tbf. My bet-sizing was off and a tad too big. I make the bets smaller and he can't really shove the river.

Think checking the turn is ok? Friend of mine was of the opinion of that's how to play it. Some pot control I guess.
                          Definitely not. He's calling the turn with LOADS of worse hands. You're losing value(and giving a free card) if you check here.

Comment

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
                            Definitely not. He's calling the turn with LOADS of worse hands. You're losing value(and giving a free card) if you check here.
                            Totally against this view,
                            blinds are 25-50..how can u get any more value, over 1k in the middle??

its all about what hand your putting him on?? from pre flop...to river....

hes basically played this hand like a busted flush draw the whole way, a set never usually, uv bet 4x pre, and fire on flop, its obvious uv a big hand sure a set re raises on flop or turn?? or else there losing all value for there hand....

determine after the flop call what you think he has,

check/or bet turn and continuer with your line of thinking

whats his all in on the river representing?? not alot really and maybe sometimes you have to make the hard calls, poker is not completly by the book , ...if you have decided on the river your calling any bet...then call the all in!!

i personally check call turn, and no diamond/ scare card i fire into the river!!... harder for villain to bluff then!! and if he hits diamond i give up..putting him on flush after flop bet call

Comment

So you check the turn and don't charge his draws/get value from his worse made hands and then bet the river when the draws miss to stop him from bluffing. Seems like a winning strategy(in Bizarro world!)

Comment

I seem to be going against the crowd here, but I like flop size, and I call river.
                                Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
                                  I seem to be going against the crowd here, but I like flop size, and I call river.
                                  If you call my all in there with TPTK you go broke 9 times out of 10. I suppose it's player dependant but as OP says there were no reads.

Comment

If you call my all in there with TPTK you go broke 9 times out of 10. I suppose it's player dependant but as OP says there were no reads.
                                    If you call my all in there with TPTK you win a lot more than once in ten. A hell of a lot more.

Comment

If you call my all in there with TPTK you win a lot more than once in ten. A hell of a lot more.
                                      lol, I'm a nit TG so you'd get it through. I suppose with reads I could make the call but under normal circumstances I fold. Actually now that I think of it I made a very similar call at the JP Masters ME but it was totally because of reads and history.

Would you play the draw that way though? Surely if you did you would need to be playing your sets that way too or the shove on a missed draw would be really exploitable.
                                      Last edited by gorrrr72; 05-07-10, 16:14.

Comment

lol, I'm a nit TG so you'd get it through. I suppose with reads I could make the call but under normal circumstances I fold. Actually now that I think of it I made a very similar call at the JP Masters ME but it was totally because of reads and history.

Would you play the draw that way though? Surely if you did you would need to be playing your sets that way too or the shove on a missed draw would be really exploitable.
                                        If you have 9T, AT or QQ in your range a bit you can get away with bluffing a hell of a lot. Nobody has other nuttish hands in their range here, or if they do, its extremely rarely. The problem with overshoving the river is that nobody has many nutty hands in their range when they do, so its better to bet small. Like when you 2x pot, you can have loads of air in your range, but you need nutty hands too, or at the very minimum that the villain can't be nutted.

Thats the main problem with overbetting here, and hence why I want to call, cos its such a bad spot to OB.

Comment

If you have 9T, AT or QQ in your range a bit you can get away with bluffing a hell of a lot. Nobody has other nuttish hands in their range here, or if they do, its extremely rarely. The problem with overshoving the river is that nobody has many nutty hands in their range when they do, so its better to bet small. Like when you 2x pot, you can have loads of air in your range, but you need nutty hands too, or at the very minimum that the villain can't be nutted.

Thats the main problem with overbetting here, and hence why I want to call, cos its such a bad spot to OB.
                                          I've seen this overbet a lot lately and I have to say it's been a pretty even split between the nuts and missed draws when called so I really think reads are crucial.

The missed draw overbet has become so commonplace that players are using the overbet on the river with the nuts a lot more.
                                          Last edited by gorrrr72; 05-07-10, 19:13.

Comment

Been far too long since I even saw a poker game, but this reads like JJJ to me. Fold is fine IMO.

Comment

fold without reads. bet a little less on flop and turn so it hurts less.

Comment

Working...
                                              X