Starting Stacks for games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Stacks for games

Over the last couple of weeks I've been playing a lot live around Dublin and something that annoys the bejesus out of me is the starting stacks in particular the amount of certain chips you get at the start of play

Examples
    Jackpot €40 fo on a wednesday night, starting stack 10k (plus a 500 early bird i think)

8 X 25
    8 x 100
    2 x 500
    3 x 1000
    1 X 5000

Jackpot €30 fo on a Friday night, starting stack 8k (plus a 500 early bird i think)

8 X 25
    8 x 100
    2 x 500
    1 x 1000
    1 X 5000

Voodoo €100 fo (part of the VSOP tourny's) 10k starting stack

8 X 25
    8 x 100
    4 x 500
    2 x 1000
    1 X 5000

Voodoo €250 FO Main Event 15k starting stack

8 X 25
    8 x 100
    4 x 500
    2 x 1000
    2 X 5000

and this goes on for alot of the tournments around ireland the same way, can some of the TD explain why they dont put more smaller chips in play as lot of you would see on any given night the amount of time it take's to make change is really annoying plus the fact that it limits how you make bets along the way early as well

thanks

I see what you mean last time i played in jackpot they coloured up the 25s after the 200 400 level i think.
    I said to the manager it was a bit early like at that stage id like my raises to be 450 even 425 not just 500 600 700 etc.

Players are sometimes to blame too they have no change and stick sat a 500 chip out when blinds 25 50 if 2 players do it a minute wasted getting change,

might be a good idea to ask for more small denomination chips at the start and gets messier when antes come in.

Comment

yeah agree about some player i specially dislike players putting out 25 chips for the big blind when they are like 100/150 etc special when there are ante's really anonys me!, the last four time's i've played games with 5k chips in the starting stacks i have asked for them to be broken down smaller as i know change will be needed and if i have a neat stack dealers will grab them and make chnage which doesn't waste as much time which equals more hands throughout, i was really wondering if there was just some reason it's always 8 25 chips and 8 100 chips

Comment

Yeah have to agree it does waste time breaking chips for antes or blinds..in fast games were you expect people to be busting from the get go it shouldn't too much of a problem as a player will take his seat and bring more change to the table. But slower bigger games with antes can be a bit of a nightmare especially if the dealer isn't used to antes. Let's just hope you don't get on a table with a young lad robbing every pot/small donomination chip in the house and is unwilling to give them away lol.

Comment

Originally posted by J10spades View Post
          Yeah have to agree it does waste time breaking chips for antes or blinds..in fast games were you expect people to be busting from the get go it shouldn't too much of a problem as a player will take his seat and bring more change to the table. But slower bigger games with antes can be a bit of a nightmare especially if the dealer isn't used to antes. Let's just hope you don't get on a table with a young lad robbing every pot/small donomination chip in the house and is unwilling to give them away lol.
          im sorry have we met? i love taking in all the small chips i like winning them more but i'll buy them if need be

Comment

Id just be happy having chips in front of me by the time the antes kick in

Comment

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post

as lot of you would see on any given night the amount of time it take's to make change is really annoying plus the fact that it limits how you make bets along the way early as well
              It in no way limits the bets you can make unless you have an issue with using verbal declarations.

All the starting stacks you list would have far too much change in my opinion. 4x 25 chips would be more than sufficient. Too much time is wasted checking bet amounts with more change in play.
              Last edited by bp_me; 06-07-10, 11:18.
              May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                It in no way limits the bets you can make unless you have an issue with using verbal declarations.

All the starting stacks you list would have far too much change in my opinion. 4x 25 chips would be more than sufficient. Too much time is wasted checking bet amounts with more change in play.
                Most times I much prefer to let my chips do the talking and having the exact amount for the bet to hand is essential for that.
                I agree there are not enough small chips in play and they are taken away too early.
                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

what really slows up a game is some clown counting out a monkey bet in ponies.

Everyone loves having a big (looking) tank but for a run of the mill weekly tourney keep the amount of chips manageable , cuts down on time for the all ins and the inevitable how much are you playing questions .

Exceptions have to be made for bigger buyins, fair enough for the too cool for school brigade but most of the regs are gonna call if its 375 or 500.

4 x 25 and 4 x 100 per player should be adequate if one guy at the table also chips down a 1000 chip IMHO both as a player and a TD.
                  I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.. Tom Waits

I have been told if i see some trouble to call 911, I think it's quicker to call 3 Fifty 7 .....RL Burnside

Comment

Starting stacks in the OP are all perfect if you drop all the 5k chips for 1k chips.

Actually throw in a few more 500 chips as well, 25s and 100s are good though, 8 of each is so much better than 4 of each.
                    Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                    I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                    None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

You need at least 8 x 25 chips to keep the game moving at the start.

You can't verbally declare a bet that you can't make up in the chips that are in play.
                      twitter
                      moneybookers

Comment

Originally posted by BallymoreChris View Post

You can't verbally declare a bet that you can't make up in the chips that are in play.
                        I was actually going to say this at the time of the thread starting, is there a rule against this?

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                          I was actually going to say this at the time of the thread starting, is there a rule against this?
                          There would have to be........
                          twitter
                          moneybookers

Comment

You need at least 8 x 25 chips to keep the game moving at the start.
                            4 is plenty.

What's the point you are trying to make here. This is pretty obvious.

Comment

4 is not plenty, from dealing exp you are always changing chips. Game is smoother with 8x25 in the stacks. 75/150 level is basically change every single hand with 4x25.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                4 is not plenty, from dealing exp you are always changing chips. Game is smoother with 8x25 in the stacks. 75/150 level is basically change every single hand with 4x25.
                                You just end up with one or two players with massive stacks of 25s and have to waste time checking them. Meanwhile the players who would not have had 25s at this level anyway still do not have 25s. It's always the same.

Starting stack tonight was

4*50
                                8*100
                                8*500
                                5*1000
                                1*5000

Starting at 50/100. Even with all those chips in play there is a lot of time spent changing 500s for 100s. In my experience it is not significantly slower if you reduce the number of smaller chips (it can be a problem if you move one player who has accumulated all the change though).

Comment

4 is plenty.
                                  What's the point you are trying to make here. This is pretty obvious.
                                  I was responding to this....

Its pretty obvious the guy was talking about taking away the smaller chips to early in tournaments which can limit the bet sizing.
                                  Last edited by BallymoreChris; 08-08-10, 01:34.
                                  twitter
                                  moneybookers

Comment

8 * 25
                                    8 * 100
                                    4* 500
                                    7 * 1000
                                    after that any combo of 5000 & 10000 depending on starting stack.

In a decent structure the 25's will be in play until the end of 200/400 + 50. After that if you want to make a bet with 25's in it you are a contrary fuck who needs taken outside and shot.
                                    sigpic
                                    www.d4events.com

Comment

Working...
                                    X