Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing at a "Home Game"

Hey guys, I'm new to IPB and this is my first post...so Hi

Anyway, I've been having issues with the regular home game I play every week. Lately, I've been nominated to deal without my consent. I walk into the room and the lads are all like "Oh You're dealing"...and its almost as if I have no say in the matter.

Now I suggested we pass deal. I see it as the fairest way? Personally I don't like being stuck dealing. I find it very awkward and difficult to concentrate while playing.

But one lad, who I'm not particularly friendly with stated "There's no such thing as passing deal. There's one dealer, and we've decided it's you. So you're dealing!"For the sake of not arguing, I held my tongue, dealt for the first game, and had to walk away (usually there's 2/3 games a night).

I'm going to go back this week, but I'm not dealing, I'm not being stuck dealing anyway. I don't enjoy the hassle. But does anyone know if there's an official ruling for house games? Or should I just bite back and tell them "Fly up my h*le!"

Hi Sktchr and welcome to IPB.

My advice is get yourself some new friends. It sounds like you are being bullied!

The deal gets passed around to the left after every hand.

Comment

Hey thanks!

Ya, my friend who runs the game at his house said the same. The only problem is, I'm afraid if I snap back and cause a fight, players will walk away and it'll kill the game, which I don't want to be responsible for.

Whoever is on the button should deal...fair is fair...and its nice to join a community and chat with people who actually understand the game

Comment

make them tip you for every pot, they will soon want to deal themselves

Comment

yep hectorjelly is rite ask them to tip ya,they wont be long doing passive dealing,also to be honest if they behave like that i wouldnt bother goin to there games

Comment

I'd go back and say;
            "Whose turn is it to deal this week, I did it last week"

Once a few of them get pissed off dealing everyhand you'll soon be passing everyhand

Comment

This reminds me of a fantastic e-mail they got one night on the Poker Channel (remember that?). Some poor bloke wrote in asking Doctor Tom to clarify certain rules because he was getting continually shagged at a home game with his mates.

He had a couple of questions, but the one that stuck in my mind was he needed clarification regarding a " 'round the corner straight"
              Seemingly his mates had told him that a hand of Q K A 2 3 counted as a straight as it was a continuation, hence the 'round the corner bit.

Dr Tom could barely hold in the laughing and eventually replied with the gem "Well, to be honest BP from Southhampton, it sounds like your friends are...well, bastards"

Could be worse Sktchr eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Bless You View Post
                Seemingly his mates had told him that a hand of Q K A 2 3 counted as a straight as it was a continuation, hence the 'round the corner bit.
                To be fair. That is a common inclusion in home games, normally in draw or stud, where the likes of wild cards, one eye'd jacks and the various other non standard hands are used.
                But the majority of "new" players have never played these games.

Comment

Howya,

Home games can be fun, but they can also be head wrecking because the rules arent always followed.

just a suggestion, but if someone is a really bad dealer then just nominate another player to deal for them, and the rest to just take turns dealing and from time to time you just give the deck a good wash and shuffle.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                    make them tip you for every pot, they will soon want to deal themselves
                    I doubt the tipping idea would work as i assume its sit and go's there playing.

Comment

Just tell them to GFY and refuse to deal. Or just fcuk up the deal constantly until they ask you to step down. Either way they sound like a bunch of pricks.

Comment

I've no problem dealing, cause I can keep the bloody game moving at an acceptable speed.
                        I hate when we play 'button deals' and the dealer has no interest in telling people that its their turn, needs to be prodded to deal a flop etc.
                        Also find it helps me concentrate more on the game when I deal.

This isn't answering your question obviously

Try to get at least one, preferably more people to help you. Take a 5 minute break during a level, go out and make a phone call. This forces other people to learn how to deal and they'll hopefully discover that its no big, er, deal.

Have a rule that the first person out (assuming ye are playing SNGs?) becomes the dealer, and the second person out becomes the second dealer.
                        (We call them Bitch Number 1 and Apprentice Bitch so it adds to the fun as a forfeit).

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                          I've no problem dealing, cause I can keep the bloody game moving at an acceptable speed.
                          I hate when we play 'button deals' and the dealer has no interest in telling people that its their turn, needs to be prodded to deal a flop etc.
                          Also find it helps me concentrate more on the game when I deal.
                          This ^^^^ for me also.

Comment

just learn to deal like this guy:
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                              To be fair. That is a common inclusion in home games, normally in draw or stud, where the likes of wild cards, one eye'd jacks and the various other non standard hands are used.
                              But the majority of "new" players have never played these games.
                              Sounds like you were one of his mates???

Comment

Originally posted by Caf View Post
                                Sounds like you were one of his mates???
                                I thought the same when someone said something about pricks

Comment

Originally posted by Sktchr View Post
                                  Hey thanks!

Ya, my friend who runs the game at his house said the same. The only problem is, I'm afraid if I snap back and cause a fight, players will walk away and it'll kill the game, which I don't want to be responsible for.

Whoever is on the button should deal...fair is fair...and its nice to join a community and chat with people who actually understand the game
                                  The very simple solution is about 10 mis-deals in a row (and stop playing self dealt games.. they are torture)
                                  May you live in interesting times!

Comment

This reminds me of a fantastic e-mail they got one night on the Poker Channel (remember that?). Some poor bloke wrote in asking Doctor Tom to clarify certain rules because he was getting continually shagged at a home game with his mates.

He had a couple of questions, but the one that stuck in my mind was he needed clarification regarding a " 'round the corner straight"

Dr Tom could barely hold in the laughing and eventually replied with the gem "Well, to be honest BP from Southhampton, it sounds like your friends are...well, bastards"

Could be worse Sktchr eh?
                                    That's Epic!!! ...and reminds me of a rumour I heard that in Kilkenny, 2 4 6 8 10 is a straight....I've heard it quite a few times but dunno how true it is???

And yeah its Sn'G's we play so the whole tipping thing wouldn't work...But tonight's the night for this week's game....and I think I'm in a "STFU" mood....and I'm gonna be real picky about the rules and wreck their heads....cuz they certainly wreck mine when they don't follow/understand holdem ruless

Comment

Maybe try and find a poker club nearby if you ever want a game
                                      there seems to be one in every town these days.

Comment

Working...
                                      X