Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epsom Derby Weekend

St.Nicholas Abbey a nr in the Derby.
    St Nicholas Abbey will not run in the Investec Derby at Epsom on Saturday after trainer Aidan O'Brien revealed this morning that the colt has a slight muscle injury high up in his hind quarter

This makes Jan Vermeer a clear 3.05 shot on the exchanges.

I'm sweet on Bullet Train each way.

Thoughts on Coronation Cup,Oaks Derby etc??

Originally posted by Aya14 View Post
    St.Nicholas Abbey a nr in the Derby.
    St Nicholas Abbey will not run in the Investec Derby at Epsom on Saturday after trainer Aidan O'Brien revealed this morning that the colt has a slight muscle injury high up in his hind quarter

This makes Jan Vermeer a clear 3.05 shot on the exchanges.

I'm sweet on Bullet Train each way.

Thoughts on Coronation Cup,Oaks Derby etc??
    Fame and Glory will win the coronation, looks better than ever this year, and he wasn't too bad last year

Comment

Originally posted by Howard_Finkel View Post
      Fame and Glory will win the coronation, looks better than ever this year, and he wasn't too bad last year
      Yes with a good pace I can see him destroying Sariska. Had a long season before finishing behind her at Newmarket. Lets not forget he ran into a freak of a horse last year.

Timepiece is my fancy for the Oaks.

Comment

Paddy Power were doing a special yesterday * - Jan Vermeer and F&G, 6/1 the double.

*could be gone altogether today after SNA news.

Snr Handicapper reckons Jim Bolgers Akdarena is the best horse in the Oaks (10/1 at the min).

Comment

Derby: I backed Cape Blanco before York but that looks a dead docket now. Wouldn't rule Workforce out.

Oaks: Aviate for me. Strong trial, right trainer. Jockey had the choice and picked her.

Coronation: Not a big Fame & Glory fan. Won a weak Irish Derby and apart from Mastercraftsman I struggle to find a decent horse he has beaten. Not sure what to take him on with. I'll prob just lay FAG at odds on.

Comment

Originally posted by npr View Post
            [.

Coronation: Not a big Fame & Glory fan. Won a weak Irish Derby and apart from Mastercraftsman I struggle to find a decent horse he has beaten. Not sure what to take him on with. I'll prob just lay FAG at odds on.
            This is a bit silly imo, would have won the epsom derby and an Irish Champion stakes had it not ran into a monster.

This is a serious horse whos form cant be knocked

Comment

Originally posted by Howard_Finkel View Post
              This is a bit silly imo, would have won the epsom derby and an Irish Champion stakes had it not ran into a monster.

This is a serious horse whos form cant be knocked
              Personally I feel you can pick holes in the form.

Epsom Derby: If you take out Sea the Stars (winner) and Rip Van Winkle (8-10f horse) are there any other horses of substance in the race?

Irish Derby: Joke of a race. Nuff said.

Irish Champion: Mastercraftsman was a great 2yo & good over 8f early in 2009 but later in the season not so good. STS toyed with FAG.

Arc: Finally a race with a number of top class contenders in it. Gr1 winners a plenty and FAG was put in his place by Gr 1 winners Cavalryman, Conduit & Dar Re Mi.

English Champion: Would have fancied him here. Not a great standard but winner went to run credible 3rd in Breeders Cup Classic.

2010 So far: Beaten Recharge, Gr 3 winner, into second twice. Only horse of note that he has run against is Cutlass Bay but his form is null and void as soon as he moved to Godawful.

Comment

I have been doing my form and pedigree work but no bets as yet. Godolphin took Hibaayeb out of the Oaks this week so that is my last antepost bet gone. I said a while back on Irishpokerboards that St Nicholas Abbey is a boat. Pulled out because he isn't good enough.

My early thoughts are Bolger's Akdarena in the Oaks. Rumoush, Timepiece, Snow Fairy doubtful stayers imo. Rain would be welcome to make it a greater stamina test.

I wasn't impressed with Jan Vermeer's recent win at the Curragh. The time was slow. But there doesn't appear to be much opposition. He has three group wins - the best form.

I'll post my bets here later in the week.

Comment

Anyone fancy Penitent in the first? Very close between front two in the market imo.

Comment

Yeah, yeah aftertiming but super run from Fame and Glory and brilliant tactics.
                    'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Sea The Stars must have been some animal alright.

No knocking Fame and Glory now imo, top class horse

Comment

Todays race was weak, hes no better now than he was before it.
                        Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                        I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                        None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
                          I thought the time was close to a record.

Anyways onto the Oaks. I like Cecil's two and I'm backing both and doing a reverse forecast.
                          'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

I have to wonder about Durkin, anyone think it was a bad ride on Meeznah?

Comment

Originally posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
                              Beating the likes of Sariska and Cavalryman represents the best winning form he has by quite a long way I think.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                Beating the likes of Sariska and Cavalryman represents the best winning form he has by quite a long way I think.
                                Id be surprised if it was rated ahead of his Irish Champion Stakes run though, i didnt think today was a career best.
                                Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                                I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                                None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Can't wait for The Derby, I really fancy Rewilding. Can't be having JV at that price, He's a lay and possibly a place lay for me too.

Comment

Originally posted by Esprit View Post
                                    Can't wait for The Derby, I really fancy Rewilding. Can't be having JV at that price, He's a lay and possibly a place lay for me too.
                                    How could you possibly lay him for a place. I think 11/4 now has to be a great price for the only G1 winner in what looks a brutal derby. Rewilding won a listed race in goodwood impressively but i wouldnt fancy SBS to train a donkey. Theyve had the horse long enough now to make sure hes lost all his ability
                                    Workforce is the only concievable danger but i feel AOB reckons they can beat him on a line through cape blanco and especially as that one runs in france instead of epsom.
                                    JV for me and i expect a possible 1-2 for AOB with workforce 3rd.
                                    "Quitters never win, Winners never quit."

Comment

Midas touch EW is my selection for the Derby. Ladbrokes offering a nice 7/1 compared to 6/1 or 11/2 elsewhere!
                                      Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Rekop Dog View Post
                                        Midas touch EW is my selection for the Derby. Ladbrokes offering a nice 7/1 compared to 6/1 or 11/2 elsewhere!
                                        Many would argue thats a negative in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
                                          Many would argue thats a negative in itself.
                                          Yeah but they seem to be far more generous than most throughout the market. They're better on Workforce, Rewilding among others and level on the rest. Coordinate Cut is the only horse that Powers have better than themselves!
                                          Profit before people.

Comment

I have no strong opinion other than it's a fucking shit Derby, but most will be from now on.

I think the French horse in the fillies mile race is a cracking bet.

Comment

Workforce, big bet. Really think its a special horse. Know shortly.

Comment

YeeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by whyno View Post
                                                  How could you possibly lay him for a place.
                                                  That's why.

Comment

Originally posted by Esprit View Post
                                                    That's why.
                                                    You may as well thank johnny for not being hard on the horse to finish in a place in fairness. Nice result though.

Workforce was very impressive. Rematch with cape blanco after he wins the french derby tomorrow will be a cracker (i hope it goes like that anyway )
                                                    "Quitters never win, Winners never quit."

Comment

Originally posted by whyno View Post
                                                      You may as well thank johnny for not being hard on the horse to finish in a place in fairness. Nice result though.
                                                      Cheers, Wouldn't of caught Rewilding anyways IMO. Rewilding should make a good horse next year when he fills out. Happy enough with the place money considering he looked more like coming last than placing at one stage.

Stunning from Workforce and delighted for Moore, Seems like a nice lad.

Comment

Originally posted by npr View Post
                                                        Derby: I backed Cape Blanco before York but that looks a dead docket now. Wouldn't rule Workforce out.

Oaks: Aviate for me. Strong trial, right trainer. Jockey had the choice and picked her.

Been away for a couple of weeks. Happy to admit when I am wrong FAG produced a top class performance to beat some very good horses. Not sure why he is not in the King George, would prefer to see him there rather than the eclipse. I won't be laying him any time soon but I still have a few reservations!

1 out of 3 for a profit wasn't too bad for the weekend. Judging by what happened in Epsom/France my Cape Blanco money would have been cooked if he'd made it to Epsom.

Great ride from Ryan Moore in the Oaks. Got the luck in running and made the most of it. Cecil pair were disappointing. Would have been nice to see David Lanigan win a classic at his first attempt. Meeznah will be the one to watch at the Curragh for the Irish Oaks.

Comment

Working...
                                                        X