Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple of tournament spots

Hand 1:

Blinds 1-2k no ante. I have 53k. 22 players left from 38. 5 paid. Table is 7 handed. 2 rocks to act behind, 1 shortish, 1 short-stack abc and 2 chipped-up lags.

Villain is known nit.

Villain open shoves for 32k from utg. I have JJ next to act.

Hand 2:

Blinds 1500-3k. I have 112k. 15 left.

Villain is a good lag and is well known to me and I to him. We often try to "outplay" each other. He called me on the river earlier in the tournament with A high and was good. We also managed to get it all in pre for 150BB's earlier with my AK v AJ and split the pot. He is now chip leader.

He opens from HJ for 8k. I call OTB with ATs.

Flop AAQr. Check, Check.
    Turn 7c now putting 2 clubs out (I have spades). He bets 10k, I call after dwell.
    River Kc. He tanks and bets 40k.

Hand 1- Im prob getting it in, i mean even with his stack size i doubt he is shoving AA/KK

Hand 2- I 3b pre. Our hand is really under repped on river given that and history I call. Prob chopping a lot tho

Comment

Hand 1: Thats really horrible with a nit shoving 16bb UTG. If you have reads on them, which you seem to, you will have a much better idea of what he ships here, and so can decide better, but generically I just shove. Its not a great spot though.

Hand 2: Obv call. No real debate there I think. FWIW, I way prefer flatting this hand to 3betting, and I also usually bet the flop. Turn is fine.
      Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

i'd shove pretty happily, even nits shove 88/AQ short handed with 16 bb no?

i'm with tg on not 3betting pre and deffo betting the flop. the guy plays back really light against you, it's very hard to get all the money in if you check here. on the river his bet size sucks but it's still a call.

Comment

1. Yeah I get it in. Not a brilliant spot, but you're still ahead of his range imo.

2. I play it the same as TG. Donking the flop would look so FOS given your history. I just call pre too. Call the river as well, though I wouldn't be thrilled with it.

Comment

I posted hand 1 to see what range others put on the villain. I nearly folded, this guy is a super-nit, but I figured nobody's range could be so narrow as to only contain hands beating me. He had QQ and I never improved.

In hand 2, I was happy with the hand until the villain's bet size otr. That threw me. I didn't bet flop as this guy is betting close to 100% of turns. On the river, I was expecting a bet of 20-25k and would have called quite quickly. A full pot bet in this spot is unusual, I think, especially given history. When I call turn, he knows I have a big piece of it and am not calling light. I would either have won the pot with a bet on the flop, or got it in, and win with a decent raise on the turn (he won't go on an expensive chase with one card to come) but was hoping to get another bet on the river. On reflection, I think he would have check folded the river and I should have taken it down on turn. He had Jc2c for the runnered flush.

Comment

Originally posted by Lplate View Post
              When I call turn, he knows I have a big piece of it and am not calling light.
              Really? I'd have thought with your history you'd call him down quite light, no? Qx, maybe even 88-JJ. The river is such a great bluffing card for him he can put a lot of pressure on you there with his air.

Fwiw, I have no problem with your line but I think donking into him on the flop might induce him to spazz out.

Comment

he has position in hand 2, i think that's why a bet is better. surely he expects you to bet your entire range when checked to and if you check back and raise on a later street your looking for him to have a worse or better A before he'll call it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
                  Really? I'd have thought with your history you'd call him down quite light, no? Qx, maybe even 88-JJ. The river is such a great bluffing card for him he can put a lot of pressure on you there with his air.

I'm prob raising turn with this range. The river is why I called.

Fwiw, I have no problem with your line but I think donking into him on the flop might induce him to spazz out.
                  Originally posted by BuChan View Post
                  he has position in hand 2, i think that's why a bet is better. surely he expects you to bet your entire range when checked to and if you check back and raise on a later street your looking for him to have a worse or better A before he'll call it off.
                  Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
                  Hand 1: Thats really horrible with a nit shoving 16bb UTG. If you have reads on them, which you seem to, you will have a much better idea of what he ships here, and so can decide better, but generically I just shove. Its not a great spot though.

Hand 2: Obv call. No real debate there I think. FWIW, I way prefer flatting this hand to 3betting, and I also usually bet the flop. Turn is fine.
                  Originally posted by BuChan View Post
                  i'd shove pretty happily, even nits shove 88/AQ short handed with 16 bb no?

i'm with tg on not 3betting pre and deffo betting the flop. the guy plays back really light against you, it's very hard to get all the money in if you check here. on the river his bet size sucks but it's still a call.
                  After, I'm thinking flop was an obv bet. It's likely that it would have looked fos and we'd have got it in, as planned.

Comment

Working...
                  X