Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/3/6 deep live hand I butchered

Live cash. 7-handed
    I've been playing like a SUPER nit as the game has been crazy for the past 5 hours.
    One example being a 400bb pot with AJ>AK pre.
    I managed to get a double up a few hands ealier with a set and now have 1200.
    Villain has been playing ultra loose(he's a pretty terrible cash player. He's just a donkament pro whos had a good year and I dont think he takes this kind of money as seriously as the others.)

4 limpers to me on the straddle.
    I look down at AJo and pop it to 40. 2 callers/ villain covers me

flop Q K J rainbow. Pot 136
    Sb checks, Hero Bets 90, villain calls, Sb folds

At this point im putting villain on literally ATC any Qx ,Jx , Kx or 10x is in his range

Turn 3. pot 316

I check, villain checks

River 4. Pot 316

Im almost sure i'm behind now to a qx or kx type hand so I lead the river for 210

My reasoning behind this is that my concepted range at the start of this hand was AA,KK,QQ,JJ,10,10 and AK. I know checking the turn was weak but I would prob have done the same thing with AA,AK for pot-control.(which i would have then v.bet the river with given such a blank came) and some of the time with floped sets hoping to get it in with a c-raise.(villain has been trying to pick off a lot of weak turn checks)

Villain calls with Q8o.

I was really confused at the call as even some of my range that i turned into bluffs still had him beat(AQ).... Apart from AJ .

So how bad was this?
    "Think of what your opponent wants you to do, and then do the opposite"

if you want to use your really tight image you need to bet three streets. seeing that you checked turn, cr river is the only move that has a remote chance of getting tru

on turn you say you know he has a decent had (of a pair that beats you prob) so seeing how deep, and his "fishiness" he's not folding river to your lead.

Summary - your river lead is far from as strong as you see to perceive it. The opposite actually
    GAA News Website

Comment

also - why do you change your perception of him on the turn so solidly . . . how are you sure he isnt taking a free card with Tx or some other pair . . .

Check calling is better than check raising id imagine, esp if you imagine him to value bet or bluff the majority of his hands
      GAA News Website

Comment

I take this pot controlled line to get called on the river.

Just remember this and add it to your value arsenal.

As Donal says if you really want him to fold you need yo show more aggression, careful though, these guys are always looking for a reason to call not fold.

Comment

Leading the the river is bad against a loose maniac.You have a hand with sd value that I believe is too thin to vb.I think there is value to be had in check calling but by leading you are giving him every opportunity to raise you for your stack.

Comment

TBH, I really really hate betting the flop here.
            Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
              +1

Comment

Ya tbh i knew straight after the hand I prob should have db the turn!
                betting the flop was meh as well. My reasoning was that they prob put me on a monster pre and both players really didnt want to pay off the super nit. Esp on a broadway board.

Comment

check fold flop

Comment

I doubt they care/know you are playing nitty.

Comment

= your flop bet.

Really, ask yourself why you bet the flop?

Comment

Pretty impressive stuff here - you had 4 decisions to make and IMO played poorly at each juncture.

Comment

I think when he says this.
                          live hand I butchered
                          I think he knows he played it poorly. He is looking for construtive criticism not this.

Originally posted by Arazi View Post
                          Pretty impressive stuff here - you had 4 decisions to make and IMO played poorly at each juncture.

Comment

i don't play much live games and even less live cash
                            but fwiw when someone suggests that we should straddle it normally means that (a) they know absolutely nothing about poker, but they have wads of money and reckon that by playing bigger pots they can somehow influence the game (this is normally ego driven imo) or (b) a very good poker player is sitting at a very loose table and has spotted alot of fish willing to get money in with bad holdings. with option a being a much more profitable spot for any half decent player. sounds to me like you sat down with a crowd from option a. most likely non thinking players with more money than sense and very hard to bluff if they have caught any bit of the board.

just my 2 cents
                            but as usuall iam probably wrong

choo: choo:

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Lads, chill it.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                Lads, chill it.
                                Not being funny but I think I was pretty chill considering what was posted at me. I explained my post without being smart.

Or did I come across that way?

Edit: I was trying to say that some people like me who are new to the maths and logic behind poker needs things to be spelt out, either why or why not to bet for instance. I can't really learn from "god awful play" and that type of comments.
                                Last edited by MegaSin; 21-04-10, 00:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Arazi View Post
                                  I think by saying I butchered the hand I obviously implied that I hadnt made the right decisions on the streets.

A more elaborated analysis would be a lot more helpful tbh

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
                                    I looked super strong as they know i've been playing like a super nit and there was no way they hit that hard as if either had 2 broadways they would have raised pre 100% of the time. + they were really reluctant to play a pot with me ...."we're not doubling up the nit". so i thought i had a decent chance of folding a k9,8,7,6,5/q78etc hand. + i still had min 25%equity if called. They werent uber donks, 1 is a fairly successful live tourney pro and the other a loose passive reg.
                                    Looking back tho prob shouldnt have lead out

Comment

Originally posted by PortOfTheYokes View Post
                                      I looked super strong as they know i've been playing like a super nit and there was no way they hit that hard as if either had 2 broadways they would have raised pre 100% of the time. + they were really reluctant to play a pot with me ...."we're not doubling up the nit". so i thought i had a decent chance of folding a k9,8,7,6,5/q78etc hand.
                                      Obviously not if you were called down by Q8o.

Comment

Just check the flop back. You flop loads of equity, but you just destroy it when you bet. Your reads are obviously woefully wrong if they are calling you down here 2 streets with Q8o. You should prob work at that too.

Successful tournie pro? I call bullshit too. He might have had one good year, but god he played this hand atrociously. No way anyone that bad at poker will be good long run.
                                        Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

I've been in situations live when I've been classed as a 'nit' and have tried to use this to pick up a few pots like you did here on the flop. But players can often see through this and know you are likely to bet at a pot like this with air, with the hope of using the the tight image.

As has been said, from my experience players are always looking for a reason to call rather than fold in these loose cash games, and your check on the turn game him that reason.

Comment

Working...
                                          X