World Cup Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Cup Thread

Ill be backing Spain and Brazil, good chance of them meeting in the final and Ill be laying England.

Have also had small punts on Slovenia, Slovakia and Serbia planning on laying if they go far.

Missed all of the African Nations Cup, any standout performers?

Germany at 14/1 on Betfair is the value.

My only bet so far is a tiny one on the USA: €9 at 122/1 before they qualified.

My tip on the boards.ie poker forum in 2006 was Italy at 11/1. But I ignored that and I backed Serbia for outright, and Kesman of Serbia for top goalscorer. Neither figured.

Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany usually provide most of the semi-finalists. Spain and England are terrible prices.

The weather in South Africa in June will be cooler and wetter than England. Half of the matches are at altitude so I expect fitness and hard graft, not flair and skill, to be the qualities needed.

Comment

Originally posted by kincsem View Post
      The weather in South Africa in June will be cooler and wetter than England. Half of the matches are at altitude so I expect fitness and hard graft, not flair and skill, to be the qualities needed.
      this is a key point imo (speaking as one who regularly gasps for breath after climbing a few flights of stairs in Johannesburg)
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        this is a key point imo (speaking as one who regularly gasps for breath after climbing a few flights of stairs in Johannesburg)
        I lived in Lusaka (4200 feet) for two years in the late 1970s. We played soccer on Monday and Friday nights and the occasional weekend challenge match or 7-a-side tourney. You need to get used to playing at altitude, even a few thousand feet.
        I would be interested to know which WC teams will have training camps at altitude (in RSA or elsewhere).
        Mexico City in 1986 was the only high-altitude World Cup afaik. England were shown up during Maradona's wonder goal, they were at walking pace.

Comment

Germany at 14/1 on Betfair is the value.
          No value at all imo. Will be lucky to even make the Quarter finals as they don't have a great team. Ballack said it himself.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
            Ill be backing Spain and Brazil, good chance of them meeting in the final and Ill be laying England.

Have also had small punts on Slovenia, Slovakia and Serbia planning on laying if they go far.

I've been planning to do the same with the 3 Eastern Europeans there. Think people still underrate them tbh.

Is it bad that I think I want to lay Brazil, Argentina, Italy, France, Portugal and all African teams at current prices? I think Spain are actually still OK value, Germany are actually OK value (they don't need too great a team to go far this year), and Holland are mediocre value as well imo (I don't think they'll impress too much in their group though with a few decentish defences) This is the first year I've said it, but I can actually see England doing OK. Won't be backing or laying though cos I think the price is pretty fair. I'd prob lean towards laying them though.

I'm just finding it so hard to look past Spain though, cos I can find so many reasons why I think all the other teams are overrated.

Brazil are gonna be my biggest lay though.
            Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post

Yeah I like most of this. I'd be amazed if Brazil or Spain don't take it down, and I'll be backing both of them too. LOL at the guy who said Spain are a bad price. The only reason their not a lot shorter is because they've never done it before and have been chockers in the past but they've the best squad this time and have the confidence of a European Cup win.

Wouldn't be huge on Slovenia or Slovakia but Serbia are my tip to go far. Really solid defencive partnership with Vidic and the chap from Seville with the really long name. Also can't wait to see Krasic from CSKA play- he terrorised teams in the champions league this year and can see him being one of the stars of the tournament.

I think what the ANC did was show up major flaws in pretty much all thier world cup teams. The best team Eygpt aren't even there. Ivory Coast where a absolute mess, just a load of individuals not blending, Camaroon and Nigeria where poor with awful goal keepers. I'd give Algeria the best chance of progressing but thier nothing special.
              Profit before people.

Comment

I'll lay Brazil at 5/1 for up to €100 (better than betfair because no commission) if anyone wants?

Also, Argentina at 11.5/1 for up to €75, Italy at 13.5/1 for up to €50.
                Last edited by TommyGunne; 03-02-10, 13:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Durkin View Post
                  No value at all imo. Will be lucky to even make the Quarter finals as they don't have a great team. Ballack said it himself.
                  I've heard the Germans saying they don't have the quality of the other sides. They will be well prepared.
                  I backed the Germans at 14/1 in 1986. They had no chance then either, and lost 3-2 in the final.
                  I backed them in 1990 when they won (13/2). It was the only time I had to wait in a bookies 15 minutes for the safe time-lock to open (it wasn't a big win).

Comment

One thing that would worry me about Spain is they are arriving at their training camp at Potchefstroom on 10 June which seems to be too close to their matches, not giving much time to acclimatise. Perhaps that report is not accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
                      I'll lay Brazil at 5/1 for up to €100 (better than betfair because no commission) if anyone wants?

Argentina are 12.5/1 on betfair at the moment. (At least I think they are, I've only placed one bet before!)

Can I bet $200 on them to win at that price? If not ill bet $100

I'd also like to bet on Spain if anyone is interested.

Comment

Once England get to the QF it will be the usual hype and no doubt shortened price to reflect that, i shall be laying them like fck when the price is right.

Comment

Previous World Cup finishes

Country____Win__2nd__3rd__4th

Brazil________5___2___2___1
                          Italy_________4___2___1___1
                          Germany______3___4___3___1
                          Argentina______2___2___0___0
                          Uruguay_______2___0___0___2
                          France________1___1___2___1
                          England_______1___0___0___1
                          Netherlands____0___2___0___1
                          Czechoslovakia__0___2___0___0
                          Hungary_______0___2___0___0
                          Sweden_______0___1___2___1
                          Poland________0___0___2___0
                          Austria________0___0___1___1
                          Portugal_______0___0___1___1
                          USA__________0___0___1___0
                          Chile_________0___0___1___0
                          Croatia_______0___0___1___0
                          Turkey_______0___0___1___0
                          Yugoslavia____0___0___0___2
                          Spain________0___0___0___1
                          Soviet Union__0___0___0___1
                          Belgium_____0___0___0___1
                          Bulgaria_____0___0___0___1
                          South Korea__0___0___0___1

___________18__18__18__18

Comment

I suppose i'll move this over here now that we've moved also

Originally posted by DannyDiamond
                            Originally posted by Mellor

Originally posted by Mellor
                            Don't be putting your neck on the line now.

I'll take England, fancy a friendly wager on a last longest?
                            Sure why not. England, Brazil last longest. How much you fancy?

100/200 yoyos?

Looks like a semi final show-off on the cards
                            It's a long way off, 200 yo-yos is good with me. I don't see the need to escrow or anything but if you'd prefer I don't mind either way. Last longest by round, not date (would be a great angle shoot to get the mates with)
                            Cool, 200 euros so, by round of course, draw no bet.

No need for escrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                              Argentina are 12.5/1 on betfair at the moment. (At least I think they are, I've only placed one bet before!)

Can I bet $200 on them to win at that price? If not ill bet $100

I'd also like to bet on Spain if anyone is interested.
                              12.5 on Betfair is the equivalent of 11.5 in the bookies. If you hover your mouse over the price in betfair it'll tell you that the price is 11.5/1. The betfair price includes your stake back while bookie price doesn't. Much more sensible system imo, especially when you are looking at odds on shots! Mellor has posted a Betfair guide in here and I'd imagine that'd be in it, just in case you think I'm ripping you off!

I'll lay $100 at 11.5/1 if your still interested? They're 9/1 on Paddy Power. A $2300 liability would be a little too much for me on this one!

No need for escrows I assume, just quote to book.

Comment

Country____Win__2nd__3rd__4th

Brazil________5___2___2___1
                                Italy_________4___2___1___1
                                Germany______3___4___3___1
                                Argentina______2___2___0___0
                                Uruguay_______2___0___0___2
                                France________1___1___2___1
                                England_______1___0___0___1
                                Netherlands____0___2___0___1
                                Czechoslovakia__0___2___0___0
                                Hungary_______0___2___0___0
                                Sweden_______0___1___2___1
                                Poland________0___0___2___0
                                Austria________0___0___1___1
                                Portugal_______0___0___1___1
                                USA__________0___0___1___0
                                Chile_________0___0___1___0
                                Croatia_______0___0___1___0
                                Turkey_______0___0___1___0
                                Yugoslavia____0___0___0___2
                                Spain________0___0___0___1
                                Soviet Union__0___0___0___1
                                Belgium_____0___0___0___1
                                Bulgaria_____0___0___0___1
                                South Korea__0___0___0___1

___________18__18__18__18
                                Hmmmm. I can't help but think that this is completely irrelevant.

Comment

Hmmmm. I can't help but think that this is completely irrelevant.
                                  yeah, interesting, but not really relevant to this years chances, (Squads changed slightly since 1930,

and yeah, the difference with betfair prices in the betfair guide
                                  Last edited by Mellor; 05-02-10, 01:19.

Comment

12.5 on Betfair is the equivalent of 11.5 in the bookies. If you hover your mouse over the price in betfair it'll tell you that the price is 11.5/1. The betfair price includes your stake back while bookie price doesn't. Much more sensible system imo, especially when you are looking at odds on shots! Mellor has posted a Betfair guide in here and I'd imagine that'd be in it, just in case you think I'm ripping you off!
                                    Cool, I believe you. I know almost nothing about gambling!

I'll lay $100 at 11.5/1 if your still interested? They're 9/1 on Paddy Power. A $2300 liability would be a little too much for me on this one!

No need for escrows I assume, just quote to book.
                                    Booked, no need for escrow.

Comment

Why do people like Argentina?

They scraped through qualification.Theire manager used a ridiculous amount of players whilst chopping and changing every game. He said as a commentator 3 months before taking over the job that zanetti was terrible, then takes over and makes him captain. He also says guiterrez was one of the first three player on his team sheet. WTF

He is a clueless manager, they were lucky to qualify and should fall short in the world cup. Id rather back Holland than Argentina
                                      GAA News Website

Comment

Originally posted by Semibluff View Post
                                        Why do people like Argentina?

They scraped through qualification.Theire manager used a ridiculous amount of players whilst chopping and changing every game. He said as a commentator 3 months before taking over the job that zanetti was terrible, then takes over and makes him captain. He also says guiterrez was one of the first three player on his team sheet. WTF
                                        That is exactly why I want to bet on them. I think that when it actually comes to the World Cup they will sort a lot of their problems out, and they have a really fantastic squad. Man for man only Spain are equal or better. I think 10.5 to 1 is a good price. (Not by a huge margin though). They are a good price because of everything you mentioned.

Any team which can call upon the services of Messi, Aguero, Higuin & Tevez is always going to be in with a good shout. The first three of those would walk into any team in Europe. Tevez into most. Higuin is Reals top scorer, and Messi and Aguero are both phenomenal talents. They have plenty of good midfielders and defenders as well, and I think it will come down to whether they can implement a good system so they can use their attacking threats to good effect. That all said they had those players for the qualifications and they barely qualified, so I'm really betting on the enormity of the World Cup to shake them up.

He is a clueless manager, they were lucky to qualify and should fall short in the world cup. Id rather back Holland than Argentina
                                        Yeah he is, but hopefully over the intervening months somebody will kick some sense into him! I honestly think (hope?) that Maradona will have learned from his experience over the qualifying, and that all of the back room staff, players, and Confederation will either get him to cop on, or run it with him almost solely as figurehead.

Holland look a good price but something tells me they have almost no chance of winning, they always flatter to deceive.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                          Cool, I believe you. I know almost nothing about gambling!

Booked, no need for escrow.
                                          If you still want 200, I'll take the other half.

Comment

I totally agree HJ, you just could never rule them out, the have a sick amount of talent to choose from.

Along with the players you mention they have a sick midfield too, with Veron still playing superb football and then Mascherano, Cambiasso, Gago, Banega, Perotti, Maxi Rodriguez and I'm forgetting someobody.
                                            They have Milito up front too from Inter, and his brother Gabriel at Barca is just back from a dreadful injury to come into that defense.
                                            'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

i understand your argument, but i thinks its more hope than fact based theory regarding Maradona. He chose not to have Aguero in his last few squads. It was he who decided to constantly change the team. No team will do anything if they are like this. Whether he has changed his ways, and saw sense - considering the personal car crash his life has been (drug abuse, weight gain to an unhealthy state, tax avasion) i honestly think that it is only because of the god like status he held as a player that has allowed him remain as manager, in a position which he has thus far failed dramatically. (imo)

I'll lay 7/4 that Argentina will be the highest finishing South american team
                                              Its un-deniable that they have a number of world class players, but IF he manages to bring anywhere near the best 11 to the pitch, can they knit. Also can he get the most out of messi, who has so far underperformed for his country. To be honest there are just way too many ifs for me to consider backing them.
                                              GAA News Website

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                                I totally agree HJ, you just could never rule them out, the have a sick amount of talent to choose from.

Along with the players you mention they have a sick midfield too, with Veron still playing superb football and then Mascherano, Cambiasso, Gago, Banega, Perotti, Maxi Rodriguez and I'm forgetting someobody.
                                                They have Milito up front too from Inter, and his brother Gabriel at Barca is just back from a dreadful injury to come into that defense.
                                                Veron should never have been playing for argentina. He's past it as regards a top club team in europe, never mind one of the top countries in the world. By maxi rodriguez i presume you mean the 1.5 mill signing that liverpool made when taking him from a club were he couldnt even secure first team football himself?

They have an undoubted amount of individuals, but not a team, imo
                                                GAA News Website

Comment

Mexico City in 1986 was the only high-altitude World Cup afaik. England were shown up during Maradona's wonder goal, they were at walking pace.
                                                  1970 was at altitude as well. Same country.

Comment

Veron should never have been playing for argentina. He's past it as regards a top club team in europe, never mind one of the top countries in the world. By maxi rodriguez i presume you mean the 1.5 mill signing that liverpool made when taking him from a club were he couldnt even secure first team football himself?

They have an undoubted amount of individuals, but not a team, imo
                                                    Whatever about Maxi Rodriguez, Veron is playing tremendous stuff, he is South American player of the year for the second year running and won the Copa Liberatores with Estudiantes.
                                                    'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

I think this world cup will be won by a combination of graft and skill. Paraguay have a mean defence and some skilful players to back that up. They would be worth a small punt. As for the African nations, Ghana and the Ivory Coast are worth a punt. Ghana got out of their group last world cup but IC have Drogba, Eboue, Toure and some excellent young players.

I think this current Brazil team is mentally weak. Only Kaka is the real player of quality. Too many talented and petulant players full of prima donnas. Argentina have Messi but a rookie manager, wont go far. America are a team that are together, united and full of grafters. The recent Confederations cup showed that and would be worth a small flutter.

The likely winner will be from Europe. We know the players all to well. England, Italy, France, Germany and Spain can all win it. Of those England and Spain are favourites. I'd punt for spain.

In every world cup the host nation has gotten out of the group stage. That could be worth a punt but I think SA have an awful team. I'd bet they go out.

So my bets would be Paraguay for a longshot that may pay off.

Spain to win the world cup.

Brazil to be knocked out in the first round.

Comment

This morning I put €100 on Germany at 14/1. I'll probably top up every month until June.

Comment

Originally posted by MMA Ace View Post
                                                          As for the African nations, Ghana and the Ivory Coast are worth a punt. Ghana got out of their group last world cup but IC have Drogba, Eboue, Toure and some excellent young players.
                                                          I think I'd be happy to put my entire worth on an African team not winning the World Cup this year. They are each disorganised, undisciplined and all have glaring weaknesses that will be easily exploited.

I do agree that USA will exceed expectations, but you're way off on Brazil. I don't think you realise just how much respect their manager commands from the players. He will get the best out of them.
                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                            If you still want 200, I'll take the other half.
                                                            booked!

Comment

Originally posted by MMA Ace View Post
                                                              I think this current Brazil team is mentally weak. Only Kaka is the real player of quality. Too many talented and petulant players full of prima donnas. Argentina have Messi but a rookie manager, wont go far. America are a team that are together, united and full of grafters. The recent Confederations cup showed that and would be worth a small flutter.
                                                              Despite the fact that just yesterday I put a bet on Brazil not to win, I have to disagree with this. They're fantastically well organised, very disciplined and tough to break down as for quality, Fabiano is as good as they come and is having a far better season than Kaka for a start.

As for Argentina, they've a moron in charge, but they have so much quality, let's not pretend it's just Messi. They've Messi, Higuain, Diego Milito, Tevez, Perotti, Benega, Mascherano, Cambiasso, Kun Aguero off the top of my head and many others, top players playing at a top level. I expect them to play far beyond what people expect, they'd be second favourites if they'd a good manager, but I can see them doing well despite them and if they click they could beat anyone. Don't forget that Brazil also were dismal in qualifying in 2002, and Argentina's two world cup wins came with the team largely unfancied, especially 1986 where they were lead by a world class little number ten...

It also shouldn't go unnoted that no European team has won a world cup outside of Europe. While I think that means less now than it used to, and I still have Spain as favourites, it's worth noting.
                                                              "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

How can this bet be placed?

Comment

Originally posted by hugosanchez View Post
                                                                  How can this bet be placed?
                                                                  on here, TommyGunne's well respected on here, money is certainly safe.

Comment

Where can you deposit the money?

Comment

Originally posted by hugosanchez View Post
                                                                      Where can you deposit the money?

If you want to take any of those (bar argentina cos I've already taken a bit on that!), you could ship to my pokerstars account, moneybookers account, boyle account, gjp account and I could engineer pretty much any other online transfer through other people.

I'd hope I'm pretty trustworthy here, and you would be guaranteed that you will get paid.

If you want either Brazil or Italy just PM me and we'll sort out details.

Just to clarify that my post was an offer by me to lay those teams, not me saying that I'm doing it via some other method. As I said, if you wanna take up that offer, just PM me.

Comment

Im all over messi top scorer at 20s, north korea, greece and nigeria in the group.
                                                                        I know about there lots of negitives about argentina but I just think if they can win these 3 games (or get 7points) they will get some confidence and hopefully push on.

Comment

I'll take a 100 on brazil @ 5's if your still laying TommyGunne.

Don't think you can right off history when it comes to the World Cup, The big names always preform at crunch time. Think I'll be getting on Germany at 14's too if anyone wants to take here ??

Also outside punt on Paraguay , watched a few of there qualifiers there a solid team.

Comment

Originally posted by smoothcall View Post
                                                                            Think I'll be getting on Germany at 14's too if anyone wants to take here ??
                                                                            Ill lay this with a max bet of 50euro ew (Total bet 100e). Normal eachway rules. Odds are halfed so you would get 7/1 if they lost in the final. Can obviously escrow if you want closer to the time as the odds won't change.

Also outside punt on Paraguay , watched a few of there qualifiers there a solid team.
                                                                            How much are you looking to bet? Id love to lay you as much as you want as i think they have no hope but they are 40/1 so i can't!

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Eddie Durkin View Post
                                                                              Ill lay this with a max bet of 50euro ew (Total bet 100e). Normal eachway rules. Odds are halfed so you would get 7/1 if they lost in the final. Can obviously escrow if you want closer to the time as the odds won't change.

How much are you looking to bet? Id love to lay you as much as you want as i think they have no hope but they are 40/1 so i can't!
                                                                              Sorry was just thinking there no point in betting on this yet, I'll leave it untill nearer the time. Cheers though.

I obviouosly know Paraguay are a long shot, but I think they're value at 80/1 which can be got.

Comment

#40
                                                                                I'll take a 100 on brazil @ 5's if your still laying TommyGunne.

Don't think you can right off history when it comes to the World Cup, The big names always preform at crunch time. Think I'll be getting on Germany at 14's too if anyone wants to take here ??

If you wanna bet now I'll take the ton on Brazil. Obv don't need to ship now or anything. Up to you obv though.

Was just about to take it down today cos I was changing my mind on laying them, but sure I'll take it anyway if you still want.

Not laying the Germany one though, I wanna be on the same side as you!

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Ghana 4/1 to be Top African team - 2nd favourite behind Ivory Coast.
                                                                                  Ghana 10/1 to reach Semi-Finals, bit of an outside shot but worth a punt!!

Early days to be doing accumulators...

Comment

#42
                                                                                    If you wanna bet now I'll take the ton on Brazil. Obv don't need to ship now or anything. Up to you obv though.

Was just about to take it down today cos I was changing my mind on laying them, but sure I'll take it anyway if you still want.

Not laying the Germany one though, I wanna be on the same side as you!
                                                                                    ah guess we'll just leave it till nearer the time, Can't see the markets moving much anyway.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Anyone want to take Brazil vs Spain at evens up to 2k
                                                                                      Also willing to lay England at 7/1 and will take stakes from 50-100

Comment

#44
                                                                                        will take brazil vs spain for as much as you want, but want 11/8 on it. If not no hassle

will take as much as 500 on england, so consider the 100$ booked Reggie.
                                                                                        GAA News Website

Comment

#45
                                                                                          will take brazil vs spain for as much as you want, but want 11/8 on it. If not no hassle

will take as much as 500 on england, so consider the 100$ booked Reggie.
                                                                                          Had the Brazil vs Spain debate a few time and whilst I believe spain are a far better side overall, the majority of others seem to disagree. And they are close enough in the bookies so I think just going at evens is easier. I hate dealing with uneven numbers too

Alright you've got $100 on England at 7/1 to win the WC.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            On betfair the Dutch are good value at 16/1- 17/1 and will have a breeze going into quarters where they can be laid off imo.

I also fancy them to win their group at 4/5 and like France to win their group at 11/10.

I watched the Dutch very closely during the Euro champs because I was betting in running on all of their games and they were the best team in the competition in the group stages imo, their exit to Russia was weird.

And remember we are talking about a team who qualified for the WC with a 1005 record and only conceded 2 goals. Denmark, Cameroon, and Japan are not in their league and their 2nd round match will be against Paraguay, Slovakia, or New Zealand. They will probably have Brazil in the quarters.

The Argies are close to being value given that they look to have a pretty easy draw all the way through to as late as the semis if things go according to the odds. But Maradona is such a retard he shaves a few points off and so even with their plum draw I wouldn't back them.

It's a Spain - Brazil or Spain - England final for me.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Still looking like a Spain - Brazil final for me, going to have to stop backing Spain soon tho, have been backed into 5.2 from 5.7 over the last few months.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                2006 World Cup winners Italy

A strange fact - all of their squad played in the Italian leagues.

Gianluigi Buffon Juventus
                                                                                                Cristian Zaccardo Palermo
                                                                                                Fabio Grosso Palermo
                                                                                                Daniele De Rossi Roma
                                                                                                Fabio Cannavaro Juventus
                                                                                                Andrea Barzagli Palermo
                                                                                                Alessandro Del Piero Juventus
                                                                                                Gennaro Gattuso Milan
                                                                                                Luca Toni Fiorentina
                                                                                                Francesco Totti Roma
                                                                                                Alberto Gilardino Milan
                                                                                                Angelo Peruzzi Lazio
                                                                                                Alessandro Nesta Milan
                                                                                                Marco Amelia Livorno
                                                                                                Vincenzo Iaquinta Udinese
                                                                                                Mauro Camoranesi Juventus
                                                                                                Simone Barone Palermo
                                                                                                Filippo Inzaghi Milan
                                                                                                Gianluca Zambrotta Juventus
                                                                                                Simone Perrotta Roma
                                                                                                Andrea Pirlo Milan
                                                                                                Massimo Oddo Lazio
                                                                                                Marco Materazzi Internazionale

David Beckham was the only English squad player playing abroad in 2010.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Glad I got most of my money on early.

Argentina 12 into 8.8
                                                                                                  Germany 15.5 to 14.5
                                                                                                  Netherlands 17 into 14
                                                                                                  and England out to 7.8 from 7.2

Dont think there's any value left outside of Spain and Brazil at this stage.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Argentina were as high as 12.5. Which is more than a little annoying for myself and TommyGunne

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      €530 on Germany at 14/1+ with Betfair with another €100 up looking for 14.5/1. I'll keep adding to it until the tourney starts. I'm hoping they can find a goalscorer.

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        Spain to win / Villa top scorer - 22/1

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          Saw this, might be of interst to some:

http://www.stanjames.com/index.asp ( Cashback Offer!

World Cup Cashback Offer! Place a bet on the World Cup outright market and if
                                                                                                          Spain win we will give you your Money Back as a freebet!!)

According to the person who posted it on boards, it's upto £250.
                                                                                                          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            There is a discussion on Betfair about World Cup defences. As I backed Germany I looked at their squad. This is a copy of my post.

Germany will probably use

Phillip Lahm,26 (left back) 5'7"
                                                                                                            Per Mertesacker, 25 (centre back) 6'6"
                                                                                                            Marcell Jansen, 24 (left back) 6'3"
                                                                                                            Heiko Westerman, 26 (utility back) 6'3"
                                                                                                            Serdar Tasci, 23 (centre back) 6'1"
                                                                                                            Andreas Beck, 23 (right back) 5'11"

.................................................. ..........
                                                                                                            The German squad age profile is interesting.

German squad 27 players: average age 25.5; median age 24.7
                                                                                                            England squad 29 players: average age 28.1; median age 28.6

Age calculated today
                                                                                                            Germany have 6 players over 28-y-o (incl two goalkeepers).
                                                                                                            England have 17 players over 28-y-o (incl two goalkeepers).

The England under 28-y-o players are -
                                                                                                            Hart, Johnson, Baines, Dawson, Lennon, Walcott, Milner, Huddlestone, Johnson, Rooney, Defoe, Bent
                                                                                                            (play these to give England a chance imo).

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Originally posted by Rigger View Post
                                                                                                              Saw this, might be of interst to some:

http://www.stanjames.com/index.asp ( Cashback Offer!

World Cup Cashback Offer! Place a bet on the World Cup outright market and if
                                                                                                              Spain win we will give you your Money Back as a freebet!!)

According to the person who posted it on boards, it's upto £250.
                                                                                                              Stan James have worse prices than the majority of the other major bookmakers and the free bet offer does not up for this unless you plan to back Argentina who at 15/2 are bad value.

oddschecker

Laying England to win and putting profit on Spain to reach the final has a return of 38% which is the best value so far.
                                                                                                              Last edited by OutFlank; 17-05-10, 10:56.

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Since I will be watching most matches and betting on them I decided to do a big forecast.

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  Those results would give these group tables.

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    Knockout stages imo.

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      You were so close Sean, the only bit of the KO you got wrong was, Spain will beat Italy and then hammer Germany leaving a Spain Brazil final.

Losing Ballack will be a big blow for Germany aswell.

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        solid work kincsem. That would put the 5/2 on Brazil to reach the final as a very good value bet and this can be layed off in the semi final for about 5/4 against England more than likely leaving a low risk bet at better than evens.

------------

*The stand out bet for me is Spain to reach the semi final @ even money with paddy power up to €2k online* (2.18 on Betfair but liquidity will be the issue)

------------

The likely quarter final is:

France v England
                                                                                                                        Holland v Brazil
                                                                                                                        Argentina v Germany
                                                                                                                        Italy v Spain

-
                                                                                                                        Last edited by OutFlank; 17-05-10, 13:33.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X