Internet problems for poker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet problems for poker

i'm having major internet issues with eircom. I'm on broadband and paying through the nose for their 'service'. In the last week or so the net connection has become very choppy and unreliable.

I tried playing on stars, tilt, ipoker and net connection drops every so often, so its not the poker sites the problem is definately on my end. I've googled 'slow eircom speeds' and stuff and apparantly I am not alone of late. But any site I find info is of little help unless your a comp-science grad from what i can tell. Its a foreign language of computer speak.

I'm going to call eircom in the morning but I'm generally frustrated. Would I be right in saying there is little merit to switching broadband provider as I will be using the same line regardless?

What are my options, what would people recommend?

And just like that we now know the reason you blew ur poker monies.

Comment

And just like thatwe now know the reason you're off my christmas card list!

Comment

Thats alright u can use the stamp money to start ur new bank roll. Im eircom to your actual question so as per usual i am no help.

Comment

Same is happening with me...

Comment

a good while back i had eircom and changed cos i found there service terrible,

i'm with NTL now, although i have had numerous problems in relation to the TV end of things,

i find the wireless internet connection great
            http://drjff.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was with Esat and i think Vodafone took over from them, now the connection is useless, really slow, several time i clocked the speeds at well below dial up speeds even though i was supposed to be on 8mbps. occassionally its ok but every few mins i might have to spend 30-60 secs to wait for a standard page to load.

Had NTL 20mbps a while back and it was the nuts, wow it kicked ass even compared to Esats old service which was fine and id no problems with. Now even if i pickup the phone my broadband wont work for a couple of mins, how fcuked up is that.

Tried ringing/emailing etc ages on the phone no response, after about 6 emails i got a response that they didnt get any other emails and since i didnt leave my phone number in the last one they apparently got they coulnt contact me (although it was in the other emails), but never even replied to the actual email complaint and said to ring them even though i explained i was ages on the phone waiting for an answer and cant use the internet when im on the phone and thats specifically why i emailed.

Anyway NTL is the nuts, and i just re-ordered since it comes through the same lines as the TV i dont have to wait to cancel vodaphoney, Vodaphoney told me im on a 12 month contract, like fcuk theyll get paid for it, if they ring me im going put them on hold and head to the pub for a few hours and sing them a few lines of a tune every few mins and put them back on hold and see how they like it. Scumbags but thats the level of support your going to get with most ISP service providers these day.

It would probably be reasonable for someone who browses the net for pleasure but i need it for work and ive wasted so much time sitting waiting for webpages to load so i could do some work and its quite tilting

Comment

thinking i might jump ship and move TV, phone and broadband to ntl. whats this 'fibre' thing they're on about. is it a reasonably painless process?

Comment

NTL/ UPC are great.

disclaimer : when it works it works great, when it doesn't, you're screwed.

I ordered it on a Wednesday for my house, guy arrived Friday, was here 45mins, and I was flying from there.
                  Last edited by Emmet; 06-04-10, 01:41.

Comment

Yeah i rang Friday and they said they'll have it setup on Wednesday, considering its a bank Holiday thats 2-3 working days so pretty fast.

Comment

I recently switched back to NTL for everything (TV, phone & interweb).

Got connected very quickly and absolutely no problems with speed etc since then. Have 8mb and use wireless. Very happy with the speed.

Also, found their customer service seems to have come a long way from what it was as I had to get in contact with them with a question about the first bill and only had to wait on hold for about ten minutes.

Was with NTL a few years back and left because of ridiculously bad customer service but they do seem to be putting a bit of effort into that end of things now.
                      International Poker Open 2017 online satellites available on GG Poker. Visit www.internationalpokeropen.ie for more details.

The IPO is one of Europe's biggest, longest running and most enjoyable live poker festivals with huge prize-pools every year.

Comment

I've been working off 3 dongles over the last few weeks since moved into new place...has been tilting enough at times to say the least. Just got hooked up with UPC/NTL there and it's fast as feck. Been like a neanderthal over the last while. Got the 15Mb connection and it's very good. Hopefully there wont be any disco shit but have the dongles as back up if that does happen. Rang them on Monday and they were out today. Seems the way to go. GL

Also, if anyone's getting a dongle for back-up or whatev go for Meteor over O2 as Meteor are faster and provide a higher Mb allowance as well being cheaper.
                        Last edited by 72over; 08-04-10, 12:39.
                        It's all an illusion

Comment

Something like this - http://www.roalan.com/3g__adsl_router_switch_wlan.htm would be essential for any of you guys playing the big games.

It works off your ADSL, but the second the net goes down, it switches to the 3G connection. Don't think you'd notice too much of a delay.

Comment

Originally posted by 72over View Post
                            I've been working off 3 dongles over the last few weeks since moved into new place...has been tilting enough at times to say the least.
                            Ugh i wished i tilted like you do...

Comment

It's also a really good idea to have a back-up internet connection if you play a lot.

I have a O2 Broadband stick here at home that I can just plug in if my internet crashes... I'd say it's already more than paid for itself in terms of $ I would have by my home connection getting shaky.

Comment

Eircom BB is -EV for playing poker, get rid of it if you can. I switched phone lines to vodaphone and currently use their BB which works great. God dam eircom failed on me during a deep run in the ftp 750k and I still haven't quite gotten over timing out with AA pre flop at 30BB's facing a cold 3Bet Switch providers imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfie View Post
                                  It's also a really good idea to have a back-up internet connection if you play a lot.

I have a O2 Broadband stick here at home that I can just plug in if my internet crashes... I'd say it's already more than paid for itself in terms of $ I would have by my home connection getting shaky.
                                  +1

Comment

On eircom for a few years and never had any problems myself.

What package are you on?

Are you using wireless or directly connected into your router?

Are you using any sky digital or home alarm systems plugged into your phone sockets? Have you setup all filters correctly on phone sockets?

Do the problems occur all day or just in the evening time?

Are you using Open DNS or Eircoms default DNS server?

If you hit this into your address bar on Firefox or Internet Explorer

You`ll be presented with a router page. Hit expert mode, click yes. Then hit statistics and then DSL. There you`ll see a white page with a line lines such as line attenuation etc.

If you post those stats back i might be able to help you
                                    Last edited by nuxxx; 09-04-10, 12:56.

Comment

Originally posted by deadmoney View Post
                                      Eircom BB is -EV for playing poker, get rid of it if you can. I switched phone lines to vodaphone and currently use their BB which works great. God dam eircom failed on me during a deep run in the ftp 750k and I still haven't quite gotten over timing out with AA pre flop at 30BB's facing a cold 3Bet Switch providers imo.
                                      Eircom just resell there broadband to companies such as vodafone/Perlico/BT etc. If someone is having major problems with disconnections switching providers usually doesnt help, but looks like you got lucky

Comment

nuxxx, if you don't mind here are the figures etc when I followed those instructions.

Downstream Upstream
                                        Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
                                        SN Margin (dB) 9.00 14.00
                                        Line Attenuation (dB) 32.00 19.00
                                        CRC Errors 2 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                        I haven't a notion what this mean thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by thedini View Post
                                          nuxxx, if you don't mind here are the figures etc when I followed those instructions.

Downstream Upstream
                                          Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
                                          SN Margin (dB) 9.00 14.00
                                          Line Attenuation (dB) 32.00 19.00
                                          CRC Errors 2 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                          I haven't a notion what this mean thanks.
                                          your line seems fine, your downstream SN is a bit low but nothing that bad. Lower attenuation is better and higher SN margin is better. What problems are you having?

Comment

Originally posted by nuxxx View Post
                                            your line seems fine, your downstream SN is a bit low but nothing that bad. Lower attenuation is better and higher SN margin is better. What problems are you having?
                                            it just seems overly slow for the last few weeks, and drops the connection the odd time thanks.

Comment

it just seems overly slow for the last few weeks, and drops the connection the odd time thanks.
                                              What package are you paying for?

The best thing to do is go here when its slow

Use Speedtest on all your devices with our free desktop and mobile apps.

click the dublin server or whatever is closest to you on the map, you`ll be given a forum link to the image

do the same thing at say 12 noon or late at night 2am and compare the speed results.

Eircoms network is overly congested (not enuff speed for everyone) in some areas and the only way to fix this is too move provider or wait for them to fix it. Peak times 6-11 is when most people are experiencing problems

Comment

Originally posted by emmet02 View Post
                                                NTL/ UPC are great.

disclaimer : when it works it works great, when it doesn't, you're screwed
                                                This. UPC have the best broadband product in Ireland.
                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

just have the basic package 3mb?

2.29 mbs download
                                                  .13 mbs upload
                                                  ping 187 ms

Comment

just have the basic package 3mb?

2.29 mbs download
                                                    .13 mbs upload
                                                    ping 187 ms
                                                    Judging from the ping times it seems likely your suffering from bad congestion.

Heres a link from the irish heanet site, it should max out your connection

ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/damnsmal...-4.2.2-vmx.zip

Let it run for a minute then post back your speed

Edit: gota to go now ill bbl 2nite
                                                    Last edited by nuxxx; 09-04-10, 18:11.

Comment

I live in Bray and have Eircom broadband and works perfectly. I also bought for 50€ a prepaid Vodafone broadband that I never use but have it in the box just in case my Eircom connection lets me down in the middle of a tourney.
                                                      "Poker isn’t about default strategies, it’s about exploiting your opponent's bad tendencies"

Comment

Blancherstown, can someone tell me if this any good, have been exp some loss of serivce lately and delays when viewing streams

Edit: 10Mb UPC sevice

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post

Blancherstown, can someone tell me if this any good, have been exp some loss of serivce lately and delays when viewing streams

Edit: 10Mb UPC sevice

Thanks
                                                          ye, your getting around 90% of what your paying for.

theres some setting on UPCs router you can disable to improve streaming times etc, ill have a dig and post it here if i can find it

edit:

Go to your router 192.168.1.1

You can type it in the address bar of Internet Explorer or Firefox

Disable IP flood protection
                                                          Disable your firewall

You should notice alot of improvement for streaming etc, just be sure to have some type of antivirus/firewall running on your pc
                                                          Last edited by nuxxx; 10-04-10, 20:07.

Comment

Howya. I just got UPC recently and it's great but has been acting up over the past 5 days or so. I'm getting a lot of network timeouts and discos during poker play over the last few days. The speed test looks fine but the ping test doesn't look that good(15Mb connection)...

Any advice appreciated or should I just do the same as pgodkin? TY
                                                            It's all an illusion

Comment

Originally posted by 72over View Post
                                                              Howya. I just got UPC recently and it's great but has been acting up over the past 5 days or so. I'm getting a lot of network timeouts and discos during poker play over the last few days. The speed test looks fine but the ping test doesn't look that good(15Mb connection)...

Any advice appreciated or should I just do the same as pgodkin? TY
                                                              UPC wireless(presuming you are using wireless) router had a major malfunction last week, everyone who got their "cisco" router has problems with their internet. On the router there is a manual button you gotta hold down for a few seconds and it restarts and updates their software or some shit like that. Had major problems recently and did that on Sunday and haven't had one disconnect since

hope that helps some of ye anyway

edit:
                                                              58% packet loss is SHOCKING, really hope its that problem with the router. Shocked you played poker on that, would drive me insane
                                                              Last edited by mdoug; 14-04-10, 17:10.
                                                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X