Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Hard Drive for Mac Pro

Hey,

My Mac pro needs a new Hard Drive badly.

Just wondering if there are any recommendations out there and any other tips?
    Also if there are any decent shops I could pop into in Dublin?

Thanks in advance

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
    Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
    Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 2
    Total Number Of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08
    SMC Version (system): 1.7f10
    Last edited by danutpeddler; 23-05-12, 15:38.

Maybe think about putting an SSD into it? I put on in my Macbook (laptop) and it just runs fantastically.

Other than that are you looking for specific size 500gb/1TB etc?
    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Yeah defo go get a quality SSD well worth the money would it have room for 2 harddrives an SSD for the OS and programs and HDD for everything else

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
        Maybe think about putting an SSD into it? I put on in my Macbook (laptop) and it just runs fantastically.

Other than that are you looking for specific size 500gb/1TB etc?
        Well there is a problem with the original HD. Make a clicking noise while working and working slowly. Well I'm 95% sure it's the HD.

Just need to replace that for now, was thinking the Seagate Barracuca 1TB?

SSD does looks like a future thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by danutpeddler View Post
          Well there is a problem with the original HD. Make a clicking noise while working and working slowly. Well I'm 95% sure it's the HD.

Just need to replace that for now, was thinking the Seagate Barracuca 1TB?

SSD does looks like a future thing to do.
          Try and get everything important backed up off the hard drive asap, if you're thinking about a normal hard drive have a gander online shouldn't be too pricey to pick one up, install itself shouldn't be that tricky just swap out the HD and then reinstall the OS.

Pretty decently priced SSD HERE if it takes your fancy. AFAIK normal HD's have come down in price in the last bit compared to where they were awhile back so happy shopping. As for buying in a brick & mortar shop it might be a tad bit more expensive.

Think I will go down that root myself when I get my next desktop, OS running on SSD and then have a separate drive for storage maybe even a NAS.
          Last edited by tylerdurden94; 23-05-12, 17:12.
          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

I would suggest trying adverts u will get a deal there

Comment

you can pick up decent HD's in Maplins on Jervis St.

online memoryc.com do a 1TB drive for ~100 quid
              Buy 1TB Samsung Spinpoint M8 2.5-inch SATA laptop hard drive (5400rpm, 8MB, 9.5mm) online from MemoryC at low prices. Worldwide shipping, money back guarantee, in-stock guarantee!

Although depending on your usage 1TB might be overkill. plenty of very decent 500 and 640gb there for 70-90 quid.
              Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Right so I pretty much took a lot of advice from this thread.

Got myself the SSD that Danny recommended.
                Also bought an Icy Dock 2.5 to 3.5 Converter.

Stuck the SSD in and Formatted it.(Erase in Disk Ultility)

Backed up or and Deleted lots from old HD.

Used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone old HDD to SSD (Free and very Easy to use).

Sytem Preferences/Start up Disk and set the SSD to be Start up.

That all works a charm.

Bought a new 1T hdd, (Zod's advice)

I've put my APPs and big folders on the HDD and pointed to them from the SSD using the following:

In the Finder, copy the folder from the SSD to the HDD. Check that it was copied successfully.
                In Terminal, cd to the location of the original folder (on the SSD), and delete it via sudo rm -rf foldername

In Terminal, still in the location of the original folder you just deleted, make a link to the copy of the folder on the HDD, via ln -s /Volumes/HDDname/path/to/foldername

Boot is Lightning fast. Still playing around with what to have on SSD or HDD.

Also Mac still makes a fair bit of crunching noise, sometimes while idle. My instinct is that this could be due to a hacky enough OS upgrade so might try a clean install but couldn't be arsed at the minute.

Thanks for the advice

Comment

Working...
                X