RAM problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAM problem

My comp is slowing down to the point where all I can have open is HEM,poker client and that's about it! Starts lagging if I open browser (Chrome).

It's 3/4 yr old Toshiba with 2 Gb Ram.

Task Manager reads atm.....

Physical Memory (MB)
    Total 1916
    Cached 971
    Free 21

I regularly run the usual scans,CCleaner,Spybot,Avast etc,but am unsure what the problem is.

Other than buying a new one,is there anything I can do to restore performance?

Originally posted by sgtbilko77 View Post
    My comp is slowing down to the point where all I can have open is HEM,poker client and that's about it! Starts lagging if I open browser (Chrome).

It's 3/4 yr old Toshiba with 2 Gb Ram.

Task Manager reads atm.....

Physical Memory (MB)
    Total 1916
    Cached 971
    Free 21

I regularly run the usual scans,CCleaner,Spybot,Avast etc,but am unsure what the problem is.

Other than buying a new one,is there anything I can do to restore performance?
    Have you got the disks for the comp or does it have a recovery partition?

If you have, take a backup of things you need like the users, desktop etc and do a wipe of the operating system and reload it again.

If it is the recovery partition you have google to find what the key combination is to get into it. It can vary from computer to computer. It is usually a F10/f11 f/12 with another key like control or something.

If you have any probs, PM me

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
      Have you got the disks for the comp or does it have a recovery partition?

If you have, take a backup of things you need like the users, desktop etc and do a wipe of the operating system and reload it again.

If it is the recovery partition you have google to find what the key combination is to get into it. It can vary from computer to computer. It is usually a F10/f11 f/12 with another key like control or something.

If you have any probs, PM me
      Much appreciated Mrs FD will route out the disks tomorrow and give it a go...

just copy all important files and programs to seperate HD and wipe the rest?

Comment

Originally posted by sgtbilko77 View Post
        Much appreciated Mrs FD will route out the disks tomorrow and give it a go...

just copy all important files and programs to seperate HD and wipe the rest?
        Go to explorer and copy desktop, downloads, users, documents, pictures. That sort of thing

If you have a big enough usb key, throw them onto that.

Comment

For now uninstall all the unnecessary crap programs and disable all the non essential startups using msconfig. Boot computer into safe mode first.
          -> Press and hold windows key + "R" to open run prompt.
          -> type "msconfig" and press enter.
          -> Click the startup tab
          -> From here disable all non essential startup items (Google them if unsure. Basically everything but antivirus, wifi and printer related items.) Restart normally and it should be a lot faster to load windows.

Also go to task manager and see what is hogging the ram.
          -> Processes tab (make sure to show processes from all users)
          -> Click the memory column then to sort by ram usage.

Is your OS Vista? If so upgrading to Win7 and adding more ram(If the laptop takes it.) will be a big help. What CPU do you have?

Not much to add to MrsFD's info already. Just make sure you back up any software licences using keyfinder and obviously export all the HEM data before you reinstall.

Might be no harm to run seatools to test your HDD at this stage too considering its 4 years old.

Comment

As above, also:

- Upgrade to W7
            - Add more RAM
            - Check your HD is not low on space
            - Clean out your registry, temp internet files, etc: using ccleaner (think you said you did this)

Comment

Also get DriverEasy and automatically update all your device drivers to latest versions. Works like a charm...

Comment

I Take it you are on XP going by the age of the comp? I agree with Coilcam, get rid of Vista if you can but I would be happy enough with XP as it is such a great wee OS. VIsta is a pile of kak!

Maybe run memtest as well as the seatools?

Def upgrade the RAM if you can. Was going to ask about the CPU but see Coilcam asked too haha. If you stick 4 in it I woudl assume with the age of laptop it will only utilize about 3.25 or so. But it will still be better than what you have.

good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by TM2204 View Post
                  Also get DriverEasy and automatically update all your device drivers to latest versions. Works like a charm...
                  I try to avoid the likes of these programs like the plague. Why pay for something that you can always do yourself for free from the manufacturer's site? Besides unless your system is buggy or giving trouble why bother? An exception however can be made for graphics card drivers and downloading the latest nvidia/ati driver for game compatibility.

Plus from experience most of these types of program won't download the correct OEM pre-configured drivers for OEM customized hardware. This can cause loss of functionality and system instability in some cases.

The likes of drivereasy would be the absolute last resort when you have an unknown device (after a reinstall for example) where the manufacturer's site didn't have a driver and googling the hardware ID gave nothing but dead ends.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                    I try to avoid the likes of these programs like the plague. Why pay for something that you can always do yourself for free from the manufacturer's site? Besides unless your system is buggy or giving trouble why bother? An exception however can be made for graphics card drivers and downloading the latest nvidia/ati driver for game compatibility.

Plus from experience most of these types of program won't download the correct OEM pre-configured drivers for OEM customized hardware. This can cause loss of functionality and system instability in some cases.

The likes of drivereasy would be the absolute last resort when you have an unknown device (after a reinstall for example) where the manufacturer's site didn't have a driver and googling the hardware ID gave nothing but dead ends.
                    Its free.

You can backup / install and rollback all/individual drivers if you run into issues.

Ive used this app for a long time and its excellent, easy for the layman who's not into device manager and hardware ID's. Saves a ton of time.
                    Last edited by TM2204; 12-04-12, 09:46.

Comment

Its free.

You can backup / install and rollback all/individual drivers if you run into issues.

Ive used this app for a long time and its excellent, easy for the layman who's not into device manager and hardware ID's. Saves a ton of time.
                      IDK, I much prefer to use the manufacturers own website for drivers.

Was reading reviews on C-net. Seems a bit dodgy tbh going by what is said there.

CNET Download provides free downloads for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android devices across all categories of software and apps, including security, utilities, games, video and browsers
                      Last edited by MrsFlushdraw; 12-04-12, 10:02.

Comment

Maybe get a look at all the drivers installed for network, wireless card, sound etc and download them onto a key before you wipe, then you can fire on straight away once up and running?

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                          Maybe get a look at all the drivers installed for network, wireless card, sound etc and download them onto a key before you wipe, then you can fire on straight away once up and running?
                          Agree with this. it's important to at least have your NIC/Wireless drivers to hand so you can get back onto the net to start updating all the others.

Having said that W7 does a good job at setting up most of your hardware devices out of the box. You can choose later to update to more recent driver versions.

Mixed bag of reviews for DriverEasy on that review MrsF, I can only speak as i have found it. Sorted out a particularly annoying WiFi driver problem on my Lenovo when i couldn't get anywhere with the manufacturers website or forum.

Comment

To OP, we have kinda gone off the original problem with all this talk of drivers!

Generally when a PC starts grinding to a halt and the housekeeping methods here don't work I do two things;
                            - Add more RAM
                            - Rebuild with fresh copy off OS (dumping VISTA if thats what you have)

Good luck, hope you sort it out.

Comment

To OP, we have kinda gone off the original problem with all this talk of drivers!

Generally when a PC starts grinding to a halt and the housekeeping methods here don't work I do two things;
                              - Add more RAM
                              - Rebuild with fresh copy off OS (dumping VISTA if thats what you have)

Good luck, hope you sort it out.

Ah but the talk of drivers is Tres important! without them he wont be up and running. Always good to be prepared before we wipe and reload an OS

Good luck OP!

Comment

Ok folks,thanks for all the reply's.I think the Hardrive is just busto and I can't find the disks that came with it.

I did a boot scan(or similar) and it says there is problems with the HD/contact support @ Toshiba.It tries to fix problem,but the system just keeps shutting itself down.

It's running on Vista,but I think at this stage with my very limited knowledge of comp's i'd be better off investing in a new one as i'm sure if I spend money on this,not too far down the line i'll be needing help again

This seem decent for the $$$'s

Any other suggestions? 17" screen preferable

Thanks again for the quick and detailed responses

Comment

Working...
                                X