Quit Smoking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quit Smoking.

Hi to anyone who might be interested in joining me in quitting the fags.
    I've quit so many times now that I've pretty much lost count. But hopefully as the saying goes: "God loves a trier".
    Some of you may know I was involved in a last longer bet with Alanmc in a previous thread of his. He lasted longer and I was down €500.

One thing all off my previous quitting attempts have had in common is a lack of preparation and a dependence on Nicotine replacement. This time I intend to go cold turkey.

My start date will be next Monday after the Western Open. Smoking goes hand in hand with these events with people heading in their droves to the nearest smoking area during the breaks. So I'll wait until after the event to start.

My preparation so far has involved me cutting down on my coffee intake and taking some decafs in between. I drink way too much coffee and for me the mugga coffee and the fag go hand in hand.

When I was younger I did a lot of sports and particularly loved the training we did for boxing. I'm gonna pick up a decent skipping rope and start easy with the exercise.

I'll fill in more details as the thread goes on. Feel free to jump in guys. Am excited about the prospects of quitting but also nervous at the thoughts of another fail.

Come on Dealer OOOOOOOOOonnnnnnnnneeeeeeeee TTTTTTTTTiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeee eeeee.

Originally posted by islander32 View Post
    Hi to anyone who might be interested in joining me in quitting the fags.
    I've quit so many times now that I've pretty much lost count. But hopefully as the saying goes: "God loves a trier".
    Some of you may know I was involved in a last longer bet with Alanmc in a previous thread of his. He lasted longer and I was down €500.

One thing all off my previous quitting attempts have had in common is a lack of preparation and a dependence on Nicotine replacement. This time I intend to go cold turkey.

My start date will be next Monday after the Western Open. Smoking goes hand in hand with these events with people heading in their droves to the nearest smoking area during the breaks. So I'll wait until after the event to start.

My preparation so far has involved me cutting down on my coffee intake and taking some decafs in between. I drink way too much coffee and for me the mugga coffee and the fag go hand in hand.

When I was younger I did a lot of sports and particularly loved the training we did for boxing. I'm gonna pick up a decent skipping rope and start easy with the exercise.

I'll fill in more details as the thread goes on. Feel free to jump in guys. Am excited about the prospects of quitting but also nervous at the thoughts of another fail.

Come on Dealer OOOOOOOOOonnnnnnnnneeeeeeeee TTTTTTTTTiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeee eeeee.
    best of luck with quiting

Comment

best of luck with this. Champix is supposed to be excellent for the cravings. Dad is a doctor and he has had seriously hardened smokers quit with it.

Need a prescription for it but any gp will happily give you one. You can take the cost of the visit out as the first 100 smokes you wont have.

Comment

Good luck with it Noel. I'm off them myself 2 weeks now, and i still go and play cards 2-3 times a week without a bother.

Kinda weird being the only one left sitting at a table during the break last night though.

Comment

Best of luck with this have tried on numerous occasions to kick the habit myself but sadly haven't succeeded yet. As Richie was saying about the campix they seem to have worked for a lot of people, but did nothing for me only made me sick and really affected my sleep at night.

Comment

Best of luck this time Noel, you definitely have the determination, thats the most important thing, glgl

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
              best of luck with this. Champix is supposed to be excellent for the cravings. Dad is a doctor and he has had seriously hardened smokers quit with it.

Need a prescription for it but any gp will happily give you one. You can take the cost of the visit out as the first 100 smokes you wont have.
              I took champix on one of my unsuccessful attempts. It bloated me up something bad. I literally couldn't walk and felt like I was about to have twins.

Originally posted by tenbob View Post
              Good luck with it Noel. I'm off them myself 2 weeks now, and i still go and play cards 2-3 times a week without a bother.

Kinda weird being the only one left sitting at a table during the break last night though.
              Nice 1 tenbob. Stick with it. Let's do this.

Originally posted by Trigger View Post
              Best of luck with this have tried on numerous occasions to kick the habit myself but sadly haven't succeeded yet. As Richie was saying about the campix they seem to have worked for a lot of people, but did nothing for me only made me sick and really affected my sleep at night.
              Thanks trigger. Come and join us cold turkey.
              Originally posted by Loopz View Post
              best of luck with quiting
              Thx Loopz ... like what you did with the op.

Comment

Originally posted by alanmc101 View Post
                Best of luck this time Noel, you definitely have the determination, thats the most important thing, glgl
                Thanks Alan. I've got plenty of good reasons to quit and none that say I should remain a smoker.

Comment

GL Noel, have been gradually trying to cut down myself.

(Only bringing out 6 cigs on a night out & 3 to a poker game etc)

Next step is to stop at poker games & cut it down to 3 on a night out (I'll never get off em totally as i enjoy a few with a pint too much).

Comment

Good luck with giving up, I've tried many times too, failed miserable I started putting €10 in jar every day, that seemed to work for few weeks, going to have to take up knitting to keep hands busy.
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/MidWe...17622831832879
                    http://mayopubpoker.com/

Comment

have a 5 a side soccer tournament comin up n 3 weeks so i decided to go for a jog last night to see how i got on,7 MINS later im in agony and my lungs felt like they were being sandpapered for the next hour and a half,on top of the million and 1 other reasons that have been niggling away at me lately this really drove it home what a poisonous habit it really is

have never even tried to give them up before but i would imagine i would be pissin in the wind goin cold turkey,have heard nothin but good things about that alan carr book so im goin to go down that route and see how i get on

best of luck!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blanchero View Post
                        have a 5 a side soccer tournament comin up n 3 weeks so i decided to go for a jog last night to see how i got on,7 MINS later im in agony and my lungs felt like they were being sandpapered for the next hour and a half,on top of the million and 1 other reasons that have been niggling away at me lately this really drove it home what a poisonous habit it really is

have never even tried to give them up before but i would imagine i would be pissin in the wind goin cold turkey,have heard nothin but good things about that alan carr book so im goin to go down that route and see how i get on

best of luck!!!!!!
                        Different things work for different people. The Alan Carr book is pretty good. But it 's still cold turkey. Thanks for the well wishes and gl giving up the coffin nails.

Comment

Have just a few smokes left in the last box.
                          I've stocked up on fruit and veg and all the healthy snacks.
                          I've hardly drank any coffee over the weekend (well compared to my normal volume). I've stocked up on herbal teas to replace the coffee. I was very sceptical of all this herbal mularkey but tbh they don't taste so bad and some of them even give me a bit of a lift.

3 of my sisters and my brother in law are running the Enniscrone 10k next week. They suggested I come along and enter. Little sis quips "Sure you can walk it with mam." A sure sign of my fitness levels. I had intended to set some sort of a physical challenge like this for myself but much further down the line. So I think I'll go along anyway and semi-jog / walk the 10k. It'll definitely be more walking than jogging. At least if I finish it and post a time I'll have a target time to work on improving.

Looking forward to tomorrow and the 1st day of the new me.

Comment

download the allen carr AUDIOBOOK easyway to stop smoking.it'll help your mindset to get you over the first few weeks.

off them three years now and have to say the above defo helped.

never mind all the products they all have nicotine in them.you need to do it cold turkey.

GL
                            inform yourself in forum with others

Comment

Day 2.
                              Yesterday wasn't so bad for the most part. The evening was pretty tough though. I'm expecting today to be a little tougher and tomorrow even more so before it starts to ease up a bit. (Hopefully).

I've been drinking lots of herbal teas and juices and sticking to a pretty low fat diet with lots of salads and stuff. It seems to be helping with the cravings.

I got a bit of exercise in the morning. Boy am I outta shape.
                              Went for a walk with the kids in the afternoon but that was cut short when I fell into a bog hole. Lol.

Comment

keep up the good work.

I used the nicorette inhaler when quiting and found it very helpful for the first week, gradually decreasing my usase over the week until I felt i didn't need it.

Comment

have 1 of them in the press from a previous failed attempt. At this stage I could set up a shop selling Nicotine Replacement Therapies.

Comment

Keep up the good work, first few days are always hardest imo. Use the exercise as motivation, you'll see great improvements even over the course of a week or 2 going from walking to jogging and so on. I had this everywhere when I was quitting (screensaver, wallpaper, beside desk in room, etc). I wasn't fully successful but cut from 10-15 a day down to 1-2 when not drinking.

Ever Wonder What Happens to Your Body the Moment You Stop Smoking?

20 MINUTES
                                    Blood pressure drops to normal.
                                    Pulse rate drops to normal.

8 HOURS
                                    Carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal.
                                    Oxygen level in blood increases to normal.

24 HOURS
                                    Chance of heart attack decreases.

48 HOURS
                                    Nerve endings start regrowing.
                                    Ability to smell and taste is enhanced.

2 WEEKS TO 3 MONTHS
                                    Circulation improves.
                                    Walking becomes easier.
                                    Lung function increases up to 30%.

1 TO 9 MONTHS
                                    Coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath decrease.
                                    Cilia regrow in lungs; clean the lungs, and reduce infection.
                                    Body's overall energy increases.

1 YEAR
                                    Excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker.

5 YEARS

Lung cancer death rate for average smoker (one pack a day) decreases by almost half.
                                    Stroke risk is reduced to that of a nonsmoker.
                                    Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat and esophagus is half that of a smoker's.

10 YEARS
                                    Lung cancer death rate similar to that of nonsmokers.
                                    Precancerous cells are replaced.
                                    Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney and pancreas decreases.

15 YEARS
                                    Risk of coronary heart disease is that of a nonsmoker.

Comment

Day 3
                                      Feeling pretty good today.
                                      I've changed my exercise times to the evening because it's when the cravings are at their worst.
                                      I get really tired and drowsy in the afternoon @2-5pm. Almost fell asleep at work yesterday.
                                      Was almost asleep at 9pm last night... managed to stay up until the very late hour of 9:45pm.

I had decided to give the online poker a miss for the first week or so, but with all this drowsiness it might be quite a while before I'm back online.

Comment

Cravings are transitory, and can be quite interesting just to watch, feel, and not get wrapped up in and fight with. To a large extent they only feel really bad because you tell yourself that they are really bad and you wrestle with them.

Try the technique of crave surfing:

Here are the key steps for using “urge surfing” to help overcome your addictive behaviors:

Identify the craving. The sooner you become aware of the craving the easier it will be to overcome it. You don’t want to have to fight the craving when the object of desire is already in your reach. By that point, the craving may already be too strong for you to overcome.

Sit back and watch. The key component of urge surfing is your awareness. The goal is to sit back, watch these desires, and really become attuned to them. Don’t act, just observe – like a scientist observing something under a microscope.

Make a mental note of the sensations. It really helps to pinpoint what it is that creates your craving experience. This includes both physical sensations and mental sensations, including certain thought patterns that may be running through your head (“One more won’t hurt me.”), or mental imagery. Often the more aware you become of your craving experience, the more you understand the anatomy of your desires.

Be aware of environmental triggers. Often times our addictive behaviors are influenced by certain triggers in our environment. For example, hanging around at a bar makes it harder to resist the temptation to drink alcohol than if you were hanging out at a cafe instead. In the same way, associating with certain people may make you more likely to engage in an addictive behavior than if you chose a different group of friends to associate with. Being mindful of these environmental triggers can be an important part of urge surfing and better understanding your addiction. Learn to avoid these triggers in the future and you’ll have an easier time overcoming these negative habits.

Keep in mind the lesson of “impermanence.” The takeaway lesson of urge surfing is that all of our thoughts and feelings are impermanent, including our desires. By showing a little patience, and remembering the inherent “transient nature” of our desires, we can remind ourselves that it is possible to ride out these cravings until they inevitably pass.

Use a helpful mantra. If you want, you can also accommodate your urge surfing with a helpful mantra. Repeating an affirmation such as, “this too shall pass” or “I can ride out this desire” will help replace unhelpful thoughts with a more stable state of mind.

Keep practicing. Like most of the techniques and tools I share on this site, “urge surfing” is something that you will get better at the more you practice. Don’t expect to try this one time and be free from your addictive habits. It’s more likely this will take a few trials and errors before you begin getting good at it.

Comment

Thanks for all the support and tips guys. It means a lot. I really appreciate all the help.

When I am still nicotine free next Saturday and I've completed the 10k in Enniscrone I'm allowed to purchase a bicycle (on the cycle to work scheme of course). This will be a huge boost to my exercise routine.

Comment

Comment

Day 4:
                                              Day 3 wasn't so bad apart from the fact that my stomach was like a washing machine. My body is definitely going through the full range of reactions as it detoxes.

I didn't have any real cravings yesterday. There were triggers that I recognised as times when I would have had a cigarette and then I just dismissed them. It's probably a bit of what Hotspur's post is about.

I'm feeling good so far in my quit although still very tired in the evening and afternoons. I guess this is just my body working overtime to heal itself.

My colleague at work is also off the smokes so we try and support each other.

I havn't been around a smoker since I quit. Nor have I driven the car. Or even been to a shop. These are all triggers that I will have to acknowledge and dismiss as they arrive. They'll be coming hot and heavy over the weekend as I'll be off the island for a couple of days.

Comment

Best of luck with the quitting, I quit myself about 6 weeks ago after ~14 years of smoking and many many previous quit attempts, what made this quit attempt different than all my previous ones was the fact that I read this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Free-Yoursel.../dp/1856266575, it completely changed my mind set and how I thought about smoking, nicotine addiction, quitting and it really helped immeasurably. I'm pretty confident this is my final quit attempt and I really do feel free of them after the 6 weeks, I really can't see myself ever smoking again.

You seem to be doing really well, so obv. keep doing what you're doing, I think the first 2-3 days are definitely the toughest, but if you find yourself struggling, I'd highly recommend giving that book a read, you can buy it for like ~€4 including P+P, and TBH it's probably the best €4 I've ever spent.

Comment

Congrats Ste 6 weeks = fantastic. Your doin' brilliant. Thanks for the support.
                                                  €4 is a steal for a book that might help in the battle to quit. I'd easily smoke it in cigs in a couple of hours.

I'm pretty happy with what I'm doing at the moment. Most of it is from lessons learned in previous failed attempts. But I'm not failing this time. Let's beat these feckers.

Comment

Congrats Ste 6 weeks = fantastic. Your doin' brilliant. Thanks for the support.
                                                    €4 is a steal for a book that might help in the battle to quit. I'd easily smoke it in cigs in a couple of hours.
                                                    Exactly, the way I look at it is it's already saved me ~€400!! (double if you count Mrs05 who also quit at the same time)
                                                    I'm pretty happy with what I'm doing at the moment. Most of it is from lessons learned in previous failed attempts. But I'm not failing this time. Let's beat these feckers.
                                                    You definitely seem to be over the hump, it's a great help having someone else quitting at the same time, it relieves some of the triggers so the workmate quitting too probably helps.
                                                    Congrats again on reaching day 4, I really do think the hardest part is the first 3 days and the first 2 times you go drinking.

Comment

I havn't been around a smoker since I quit. Nor have I driven the car. Or even been to a shop. These are all triggers that I will have to acknowledge and dismiss as they arrive. They'll be coming hot and heavy over the weekend as I'll be off the island for a couple of days.
                                                      I have a bit of advice that I have never read in the smoking literature. The psychologist Roy Baumeister's experiments suggest that glucose is an important aspect of willpower and that willpower can drop due to a depletion of glucose.

So when going out to the pub I suggest beforeand buying those glucose barley sticks so they will both boost your glucose levels and thus willpower and also they can be used to replace cigarettes by how you hold it and put it in your mouth. Win, win.

Comment

Thx. Might try those glucose sticks. I won't be nearing a pub until the 16th when we have a fundraiser. I should be able to keep myself busy enough on that night and avoid the smokers. I don't feel strong enough in my resolve yet to be near other smokers just yet.

Comment

Day 5
                                                          A little busy to enter a proper up-date. Suffice to say I'm still smoke free and feeling great. Will try and give a proper update on Sunday.

Comment

Day 6
                                                            Ran / walked the 10k today. 61mins 40secs. Terrible time I know but for me and where my fitness levels are that's a fantastic time. Last Saturday I smoked almost 40cigs. This Saturday I do a 10k. What a turn around.

I picked up the new bike today but to be honest I'm too sore to try it out.

Comment

Day 7.
                                                              Really sore after yesterday. I wouldn't recommend to anyone going from couch to 10k. I'm glad I did it though and will certainly aim to do a few more but after some training.

I took out the new bike for a spin today. It took me a while to get used to the gears. The gear system has changed a bit since the last time I owned a bike.

I read in an article that day 7 is a danger day for quitters. Something to do with feeling celebratory after completing 1 week. I have had quite a few cravings today, more so than the last few days. I'm still trucking along and happy to have completed 1 week smoke free.

Comment

Good job so far Noel.

I smoke 20 a day at the moment and being so young I am trying desperately to quit but failing drastically. Going to give it my best shot again.

Comment

Originally posted by A_CitizenErased View Post
                                                                  Good job so far Noel.

I smoke 20 a day at the moment and being so young I am trying desperately to quit but failing drastically. Going to give it my best shot again.
                                                                  Thanks Citizen for your support and for following. Definitely give it a lash. I think you should try and plan ahead a bit and include healthy eating and exercise in your quit plan.
                                                                  I've turned totally against quit smoking aids and will make a long post about my thoughts at a later date for anyone that might be interested.

Wishing you the very best in your quit attempt. You can do it this time. BELIEVE.

Comment

Well done on making it to the Week mark, it gets easier from here on, have you been out on the beer yet??

Comment

Originally posted by Ste05 View Post
                                                                      Well done on making it to the Week mark, it gets easier from here on, have you been out on the beer yet??
                                                                      Thanks Ste.
                                                                      Just the 1 yesterday after the race. A few of us just chilled out with a pint after the soup and sambos right in front of the smoking area lol. I was considering going for a couple later on not sure yet. It'll be a test for sure. I don't want to push my luck and try too much too soon. I was around smokers quite a bit over the weekend and was even offered 1 by a friend who didn't know I had quit.

Comment

Thanks Ste.
                                                                        Just the 1 yesterday after the race. A few of us just chilled out with a pint after the soup and sambos right in front of the smoking area lol. I was considering going for a couple later on not sure yet. It'll be a test for sure. I don't want to push my luck and try too much too soon. I was around smokers quite a bit over the weekend and was even offered 1 by a friend who didn't know I had quit.
                                                                        That's actually the exact same thing I did the first time I went for a pint, I just had the one and didn't stay long, second time was a 30th Party and I had to go full out, it was after that night I really started feeling like I had definitely given up this time...

Keep up the good work...

Comment

Day 8
                                                                          So I went for the pint after all. 6 pints later I went home. Typical Paddy no such thing as 1 pint lol. I didn't smoke but I could have very easily. This was definitely too much alcohol so early in my quit and in hindsight a bad idea. At 1 stage I passed the smoking area and if there was someone there I think I would have smoked. I think the social life will have to go on hold for another while if I'm going to continue my quit. So no wetting / drowning the shamrock for me on Saturday.

Comment

Day 9
                                                                            Sat down to play some pokers last night but cancelled my session when I realised I had the concentration levels of a gold fish. It's been almost 2 weeks now since I played and my attention span is still for the birds.

The quit is going well for the most part. I still get the odd urge for a cigarette but I can dismiss most urges readily enough. I wouldn't call them cravings really as they're not that strong. Just a niggle.

Spent most of the day yesterday on the couch as i still have a few injured muscles from Saturday. I certainly should only have walked the 10k and the more I think about it now the more stupid it was to attempt to run it. I'll hopefully be able to start back exercising by the end of the week.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Day 10
                                                                              Nothing to report really. Still smoke free.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Day 8
                                                                                So I went for the pint after all. 6 pints later I went home. Typical Paddy no such thing as 1 pint lol. I didn't smoke but I could have very easily. This was definitely too much alcohol so early in my quit and in hindsight a bad idea. At 1 stage I passed the smoking area and if there was someone there I think I would have smoked. I think the social life will have to go on hold for another while if I'm going to continue my quit. So no wetting / drowning the shamrock for me on Saturday.
                                                                                this was my downfall,finished reading alan carr friday n successfully negotiated a friday night session without too much bother but went on a stag the next day n almost enivitably got pissed n fell off d wagon

still not givin up hope but between paddys day,2 more stags,final year exams etc durin d next few weeks d outlook is bleak

Comment

#41
                                                                                  That's pretty much how a lot of my other quit attempts went. It sucks but I think if we wanna quit smoking we gotta quit drinking for a while as well.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    That's pretty much how a lot of my other quit attempts went. It sucks but I think if we wanna quit smoking we gotta quit drinking for a while as well.
                                                                                    last few weeks of college before i have to settle into a lifetime of regular pre 10am starts

not an option!

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Still going strong Noel, fair play.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by blanchero View Post
                                                                                        last few weeks of college before i have to settle into a lifetime of regular pre 10am starts
                                                                                        not an option!
                                                                                        lol ... last few weeks of college is not the best time to quit for sure.

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                        Still going strong Noel, fair play.
                                                                                        Thanks Keane. Not strong but still truckin away. Went for a 10k cycle around the island tonight ...felt great.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Day 11.
                                                                                          Still no poker played. Can't settle down to play.
                                                                                          The weather is great so heading off for another cycle this evening with a friend.
                                                                                          My foot is still too sore to walk on and I'm still limping about. I really fooked myself up in that run. The doc charged me 40 yo yos to tell me I'll be fine in a few days. Bitch wouldn't even give me a support bandage.
                                                                                          Last edited by islander32; 15-03-12, 16:30.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Day 12
                                                                                            Uneventful. Spent a most of it so far preping for tonight's race night fundraiser for the school.
                                                                                            A little anxious about the weekend. Will probably keep alcohol consumption close to zero for the weekend. Would hate to undo all the good work at this stage.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Day 13
                                                                                              Happy St Patrick's Day everyone.
                                                                                              Had a few drinks last night at the fund raiser. Nothing too mad. Chatted to a couple of people outside while they were smoking. One guy was constantly hacking and coughing and I just thought fuck me I never want to go back to that.
                                                                                              A drunk girl offered me a cigarette. I tell her I don't smoke and she proceeds to push it into my mouth (I guess she thought I was taking the piss cos she would have always seen me smoking). I knew I would struggle to prevent myself from putting cigarettes into my mouth but I never suspected that I would have to prevent others from doing it.

Here's to another Smoke Free day. Off to enjoy our little island parade. Yes we do have a parade on the island.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Excellent stuff.

Want to give it a go over the next week.

Could you summarise some tips / watch outs youve learned?

thanks

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by Fullof..It View Post
                                                                                                  Excellent stuff.

Want to give it a go over the next week.

Could you summarise some tips / watch outs youve learned?

thanks
                                                                                                  Thanks Full of.. I'll make a start on typing something up and I'll post it up when ready. Hopefully I can help you out in some way.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    I started writing a few bits about quitting smoking. It's getting wordy already. So I'll post it in sections.

Note:The following is based on my own experiences. Each to their own. I hope this helps.
                                                                                                    ISLANDER'S GUIDE TO QUITTING SMOKING

Step 1. Preparing to quit:
                                                                                                    Pick a quit date. Try to get a date that is reasonably well placed away from weddings, 21sts, stag/hen parties etc.
                                                                                                    You need at least a week after your quit date where you are free of appointments/ engagements etc.
                                                                                                    Give yourself a reasonable time frame to get your head around the idea that you are going to quit. Recall your reasons for quitting often. Whether it's wife/husband/kids family members list to yourself your motivations for quitting. Maybe you just want to be able to breathe again. Whatever motivates you. It is worth pointing out that although we have many motivations for wanting to quit we are ultimately doing this for ourselves. The best present I have ever been able to give myself in life is the last 2 weeks free of smoking.

In the days before you quit educate yourself about what to expect:
                                                                                                    Common withdrawal symptoms and how to cope with them.
                                                                                                    What is happening to your mind / body with each passing hour/day without cigarettes.

If you've quit smoking before what was the trigger that set you smoking again? How will you cope with that situation this time.
                                                                                                    What are the most likely pit falls for you. Is it lunch time at work? Do you have smoking friends? Picture all the worst scenarios for you that might cause you to smoke and have a plan for dealing with them when the time comes.

Quitting smoking alone is not going to work. This has been a lesson that I have taken a long time to realise.
                                                                                                    You need to change your life style. Smoking has become a way of life. We live our lives based around our smoking habit. We reach for the cigs first thing in the morning probably with a cup of coffee and skip breakfast.
                                                                                                    We grab a cigarette as a treat during a work break. We grab a cigarette when we relax at home. We grab a cigarette when chatting on the phone etc. They are part of everything we do. We treat them as our friend that helps us with everything from boredom to anger management. We treat them as our little coping buddy.
                                                                                                    Remember all the times we've panicked when we realise we only have a couple left in the box and we might be short in the morning. Maybe we've rooted through the ash tray and pulled out a few fag ends that haven't been fully smoked. Maybe we've even tried to make a cigarette out of tea-leaves. Basically they are part of our lives and our daily routines for years now and it's disgusting.

Plan to change your eating patterns. When you quit smoking you will get up earlier and eat a healthy breakfast. Plan your meals with healthier food options.
                                                                                                    Fried and spicy foods are to be avoided for the early days of your quit as they induce nicotine cravings.
                                                                                                    Salads and Water will be your new friend.

Many people are afraid to quit because they might gain weight. But you'd have to become morbidly obese before you would do the same damage to your body that you do smoking. The average weight gain in quitting smoking is between 5/10lbs (Statistic is from some American article I read).

Plan to exercise:
                                                                                                    Don't go nuts like I did and 1/2 kill yourself with a 10k when you've been used to sitting on your arse all day.
                                                                                                    Whatever your current level of fitness is start small. A simple walk to the park to feed the ducks will suffice. Just get out and exercise and break the habits associated with smoking. You don't necessarily have to go out and spend a bomb on joining a gym. Use your local amenities. Do some dance lessons/yoga/soccer/swimming. Anything you enjoy doing.

Plan your rewards.

eg: when I reach day 5 without cigarettes I am going to treat myself to.....
                                                                                                    Make sure it's something you really want and it will help you through the first days.

Be prepared to drink lots of water. Water Water Water

You will be tired the first few days so expect to be going to bed early.

N.B Planning your quit is vital. Educating yourself about what will be happening to you physically, mentally and emotionally is vital so you can plan your coping mechanisms.

By the way I don't recommend any nicotine replacement therapies. I'll post again as to why, I'm heading off to the parade now.
                                                                                                    If anyone does want to try quiting using NRT most of the stuff is free with a medical card. If your like me and don't have a medical card send me a pm and I'll post you on a bag of all sorts of NRT shit that never worked for me. (1st pm gets the lot).
                                                                                                    Gl to all trying to quit and thanks for following.
                                                                                                    Last edited by islander32; 17-03-12, 12:39.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Why I don't recommend Quit Smoking aids.

Nicotine Replacement Therapies (NRT) is a multi billion euro world wide industry. Pharmaceutical companies are making huge profits off the hopes of smokers who want to quit.

Cold Turkey quitting is much more successful than all NRTs combined but it's not advertised on tv or in the papers. Cold Turkey isn't a big company and cold turkey doesn't have an advertising budget so we don't hear about it as much.

It takes 72 hours for the nicotine and other toxins from smoking to leave your body.
                                                                                                      A 2006 survey has found cold turkey success rates twice as high as among those relying upon the nicotine patch, gum, inhaler or bupropion (Zyban and Wellbutrin Champix).

In Australia 88% of all success stories quit cold Turkey.

If the truth about NRT was ever shared by a major media source it could cost the pharmaceutical industry billions in profits.

Research carried out by Dr Taylor at Exeter University gives evidence to the strong effects of exercise on reducing cravings and prolonging quit attempts: “If we found the same effects in a drug, it would immediately be sold as an aid to help people quit smoking”.

By using NRT you are dragging out your withdrawal for months and then eventually you have to withdraw from the NRT.

NRTs are sold to us as some sort of magic potion that will get us off the smokes but when things get tough the magic is gone and we're not prepared to depend on our own will power and end up failing.

You are not fighting cigarettes alone, you are fighing the nicotine addiction they cause. Getting nicotine in any other form and saying you quit is fooling yourself.

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        ...
                                                                                                        Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 17-03-12, 17:33.
                                                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          Thanks for your comments I welcome healthy debate.
                                                                                                          Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                                                                          In fairness, this is just plain wrong. Its grand to have opinions, but you are using statistics and quotes from doctors to give the impression there is scientific support for these opinions. There isn't.

Yes of course there is otherwise I wouldn't use it. What makes Cochrane's statistics any more correct than another's in the US or Australia?

NRT is highly effective at helping quit.

This stuff is 12 years old and there is no records of how the research has been carried out.
                                                                                                          E.g. have a look at this article from British Medical Journal: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC344271/

The article cites Cochrane reviews of NRT showing it to be highly effective when compared to willpower. Cochrane reviews are essentially the gold standard of medical statistical proof.

And here's a table from that paper showing NRT is about three times as effective as willpower: You speak of will power alone but there are 2 other cold turkey methods also mentioned in that article.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...71/table/tbl1/

Now, obviously willpower is something that works for you and thats the main thing. But shouldn't try to dissuade others from a more effective method!
                                                                                                          Prove that it is more effective and I'll happily change my opinions.

cold turkey, quitting, twice as effective, NRT, double, nicotine patch, nicotine gum, nicotine, lozenge, inhaler, zyban, bupropion, wellbutrin,

Try this link
                                                                                                          Last edited by islander32; 17-03-12, 18:19.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            Day 14
                                                                                                            Yahoo 2 Weeks.

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Day 14
                                                                                                              Yahoo 2 Weeks.
                                                                                                              Well done Noel.............going to give it another go tomorrow, just had to Paddys day out of the way first

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Originally posted by greywolf View Post
                                                                                                                Well done Noel.............going to give it another go tomorrow, just had to Paddys day out of the way first
                                                                                                                Nice 1 steve ... best of luck with it. Feel free to post away in here about your progress. This thread is open to being hijacked by people that wanna quit the smokes.
                                                                                                                Yeah I found yesterday tough. Went to the parade. Spent a little while in the pub (no alcohol) and stayed home for rest of day.
                                                                                                                I was pretty tired from the previous night and I think if I added a few pints to that I'd be in trouble.

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  My aunt is off the smokes 8 weeks, having never ever in her life tried before. She was smoking 60 a day. this is how she did it, she said they are absolutely brilliant! :

Discover a wide range of quality vaping products. Shop online or in-store. Vape pens from £7.99. E-Liquid from £2.49. Next working day delivery.
                                                                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    Delighted for her Michelle. Hopefully she can stick with it.
                                                                                                                    Is she still using the fake cigs or has she stopped them yet?

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Well done ...the hard part is done..im off them since Jan 3rd
                                                                                                                      Word of warning though..i previously was off them for 4 years and one night, had 1..(drunk!)..2 months later i was back smoking 20 a day.
                                                                                                                      Its the 1st one that will get you
                                                                                                                      I will never smoke again (PG) as i am never never putting myself through that again.

Re aids, both times i was successful, i went cold turkey, and gave up the pints for a few weeks, and also tore into the exercise (in the middle of training for the Cork marathon in June..)

best of luck to everyone quiting..remember, there is no good in them!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Cheers Lank...
                                                                                                                        Congrats on ur success off them. Hopefully we can all do the same.
                                                                                                                        Yeah the alcohol is the biggest problem for me and prob for a lot of quitters. Just 1/2 pints and the cravings can be fairly intense.
                                                                                                                        gl in the marathon.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by islander32; 18-03-12, 18:10. Reason: gl in marathon

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X