Harsh ruling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harsh ruling?

I discovered a game in my local and tonight was my second visit. The organisers are local and there's a nice friendly vibe as you would get. I'm not starting this thread as a stick to beat them, but instead to perhaps give them a different perspective of a ruling that they made during the cash table. While I agree they are entitled to make the ruling as they see fit, I do feel this ruling should be reviewed by themselves as does any ruling of controversy to allow them to continue their progression as poker organisers.

Please bear in mind that I am deaf and although I do feel I got the gist of what was being said during the incident, I am unable to be specific. Although there's nothing wrong with my eyesight and I shall describe what I saw.

It involves three players whom we shall call Jon, Vince and Ned.

Jon - has everyone covered. I've seen him play poker a good few years so he's no fool and would have a good idea of the rules.

However previously there was an incident in which he was in a pot with another guy who had position on him. He bet on the river which had 4 hearts, and the other guy pushed. Jon then threw down his cards which revealed he had a flush and then called seconds later, winning the pot.

I felt that was a sneaky angle shoot but this being a social game, no fuss was made and everybody just got on with the game.

Now onto the hand itself which happened about an hour later, I wasn't paying much attention to the stack sizes and the texture of the flop and turn.

Their positions were Jon - EP, Vince - MP and Ned – LP. On the turn Vince went all in and was called by Ned and Jon who had him covered easily.

After the river was dealt, there were 4 hearts on the board, and the action was on Jon. Instead of checking/betting, he turned over his hand holding 10h. Suddenly there's a bit of commotion and although I couldn't exactly follow what the dealer was saying - I understood that he had ruled that Jon had forfeited his right to the pot by turning over his hand. Ned and Vince turn over their hands and Vince is awarded the pot although he had a lesser hand than Jon.

I piped up and voiced my opinion. Firstly I told Jon that I believed he was angle shooting when he turned over his hand and that it was the 2nd time he had done it tonight. Despite this, I told the dealer I felt that the pot should be awarded to him because the cards speak and that there was no disputing Jon had the best hand.

Jon strongly disagreed with the ruling and cashed out immediately. As I said earlier, I can't follow group conversations but the general gist was the dealer made the ruling and that was that, everybody just moved on. Unfortunately it was still bugging me so a few hands later, I asked the dealer how come that rule wasn't applied in the first incident Jon was involved in. Unfortunately I couldn't follow his reply but to me the two incidents were similar. I think it makes for a dangerous precedent and I hope the organisers review this ruling and take on board other people's opinions.

If Jon exposes his hand at the end before ned has acted surely his hand is still live but can only check or call?

Comment

I agree that the cards should speak but could it be possible that Jon was warned in hand 1 if he did it again his hand would be declared dead.

Comment

Originally posted by JWillo1 View Post
        If Jon exposes his hand at the end before ned has acted surely his hand is still live but can only check or call?
        That was my thinking.

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
        I agree that the cards should speak but could it be possible that Jon was warned in hand 1 if he did it again his hand would be declared dead.
        No fuss was made at hand 1 of that I'm sure. Guy who lost the pot didn't say a word of protest.

My question is what is the correct ruling here? I do feel Jon should have been awarded the pot but he also should be reprimanded by means of a warning of some sort.

Comment

Originally posted by ItFellOnDeafEars View Post
          That was my thinking.

No fuss was made at hand 1 of that I'm sure. Guy who lost the pot didn't say a word of protest.

My question is what is the correct ruling here? I do feel Jon should have been awarded the pot but he also should be reprimanded by means of a warning of some sort.
          Assuming this was his 1st offence (no warning or fuss from hand 1) then hand should be live and can only call imo.

Comment

I piped up and voiced my opinion. Firstly I told Jon that I believed he was angle shooting when he turned over his hand and that it was the 2nd time he had done it tonight. Despite this, I told the dealer I felt that the pot should be awarded to him because the cards speak and that there was no disputing Jon had the best hand.
            I agree that Jon may have been angle shooting, but i don't think thats important to the ruling.
            I disagee that "cards speak" in this instance. We aren't at showdown, there is still action on the river. and by exposing his hand early on purpose it will be ruled dead in alot of places. Some rule that he can only check or call but not bet.

It's up to the house rules, but both rules are possible.

As for the previous hand, the action is on him, as last to act. So its slightly different. There is only his decision to make.
            But it could easily of been ruled dead here also or given a warning.

Comment

That was my thinking.

in tourny play it can hurt someone to get a penalty,in cash games what penalty can you give?i agree in this case his hand should be ruled dead and the td ruling is final anyway

Comment

Would it be possible he got a warning already for his earlier angle shoot... which may or may not be a angle shoot in fairness. And the dealer then decided he was 'angle shooting again' and ask him to leave?

I've had players to throw down their cards on the river THEN count out the money from their stack to call the bet without any verbal action confirming this... it is quite common, especially in games where you have a lot of non-nationals playing and they may have indicated rather than speak. Occasionally some player will object, and the floor is called. An explanation of the rule rather than a warning is given to the player and the game goes on. If he does it again... then a ruling/formal warning is made based on action as it happened.

In the second incident, it sounds like a genuine mistake on Jon's part in 'showing his hand' with more action still to come - this is common, especially if the players have drink on them and/or they aren't paying attention. The standard ruling usually made by 70% of dealers/TDs is not to kill the hand but limit the the player's action for the duration of the hand i.e. he can only check, call or fold, but not raise...

However I've also witness TDs ruling the same as that dealer and killing the winning hand for this reason too... it all boils down to house rules.

There are good/bad reasons for using both rules so it is basically at the discretion of the TD/House Rules followed.

Did you win much? The next IDP game is on the 3rd Dec... bring the roll! We won't kill your hand there...

Comment

Originally posted by Electra Blue View Post
                  In the second incident, it sounds like a genuine mistake on Jon's part in 'showing his hand' with more action still to come - this is common, especially if the players have drink on them and/or they aren't paying attention.
                  I agree it happens. But i don't think its the case here. What makes you think its genuine.

Comment

There was definitely no fuss made after hand 1.

Furthermore after I questioned the dealer why he ruled on hand 2 but not hand 1, the losing player in hand 1 then became aware that the rule should have also applied in his case and thus pressed the dealer for an answer to my question and so it was to him the dealer addressed his reply to. Which is why I wasn't able to follow his answer. The player in question wouldn't have pressed for an answer, had he felt that the call came before Jon flipped over his hand. So I think it's safe to rule out that I didn't hear a call being made before Jon flipped over his cards in the 1st hand.

Anyway Jon was drinking green tea. Whether on the gargle or not, he's not entirely the victim here. I would think he would have played enough poker to know that what he done twice last night was sneaky.

The commotion after Jon flipped over the hand prompted the dealer to make the ruling he did. I respect that a ruling had to be made to bring a conclusion to the hand. I also respect that there are house rules in place and the dealer made his ruling in accordance with such. I respect that much but nonetheless I am still entitled to disagree with the ruling made.

In the 1st hand, nobody kicked up a fuss and the pot was awarded to Jon. In the second hand, the dealer made a ruling but only when prompted to do so amid the commotion.

When the pot is being raked, players are effectively paying for a service. My bugbear now is that the dealer should pull up players on infringements of the rules in place at all times to protect all the players and himself, not just only when prompted to do so when there is commotion. For me it was an example of double standards and as I've said from my first post, that sets a very dangerous precedent

Comment

There is still a 3rd person in the hand so what happened with him as I take by the way I am reading that when Jon turns his hand over and Vince is all in Ned still has to make a decision?

I would of the inclination that Jon has lost all options to bet after exposing his hand and can either check or call a bet so what did Ned do in the hand on the river?
                      "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                        There is still a 3rd person in the hand so what happened with him as I take by the way I am reading that when Jon turns his hand over and Vince is all in Ned still has to make a decision?

I would of the inclination that Jon has lost all options to bet after exposing his hand and can either check or call a bet so what did Ned do in the hand on the river?
                        Ned didnt have to do anything, Jon's hand is dead and he's only other opponent is allin.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post

Yeah you read correctly. Jon and Ned called vince's all in on the turn and they both still had chips behind when the river was dealt.

I was of the the same inclination but the house rules were different which i've to respect even if i don't agree with it. With the house rules in place, the dealer was duty bound to reprimand jon after hand 1- with a warning i would think- and therefore would have had every right to kill hand 2. But he didn't and what happened for me is a bad application of the house rules.

Comment

Yeah you read correctly. Jon and Ned called vince's all in on the turn and they both still had chips behind when the river was dealt.

I was of the the same inclination but the house rules were different which i've to respect even if i don't agree with it. With the house rules in place, the dealer was duty bound to reprimand jon after hand 1- with a warning i would think- and therefore would have had every right to kill hand 2. But he didn't and what happened for me is a bad application of the house rules.

Just to answer your question, jon flips over his hand. Commotion ensues. Dealer kills jon's hand and the other two players go to showdown.

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                              Ned didnt have to do anything, Jon's hand is dead and he's only other opponent is allin.
                              I 100% believe his hand shouldn't be dead you cant just kill a hand for a mistake (maybe continually doing so) he should still have some recourse.

Just to answer your question, jon flips over his hand. Commotion ensues. Dealer kills jon's hand and the other two players go to showdown.
                              I have seen situations like these over the years where and the normal thing I see happens is the person who exposes lose's his right to bet and can only check or call, so unless Ned had the absolute nuts he is not going to bet his hand on the river as he knows Jon has a 10 high flush so he is going to check it down (maybe he would bet and would still probably get called) and now the hands should go to showdown and if Jon has the winning hand he should be awarded the pot.

Killing his hand is terrible.
                              "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

this was my response on facebook earlier today........

you do not been sure of the full conversation as has no baring on this hand man...... your man exposing his cards just elimanates his action rights ie bet etc but he can still call any bet and his cards are still live..... pretty standard rulling! i would of ran a muck if that ruling was against me no matter if it was angle shooting or just a mistake plus you have to remember these guys are probably gargling too..........were was this game?

Comment

Different places have different rules for this one.

The Irish Open used to kill a hand if it was exposed with action pending (I believe they changed that rule this year, but I could be wrong as I didn't work the IO this year).

The most common ruling on this is from TDA (yeah I know, TDA again) A player who exposes his cards with action pending may incur a penalty, but will not have a dead hand. The penalty will begin at the end of the hand.

With the player exposing his cards having full betting options for the duration of the hand.
                                  €10,000 GTD New Monthly Tournament
                                  Village Green Card Club, Last Thursday of the Month, €270 Freezeout
                                  €1,000,000 GTD - Irish Open
                                  CityWest Hotel, 6th-13th April

Comment

His hand is live and he can only call a bet. Please use Player A, B, C in fucture as have no idea what is going on

Comment

They need to shuffle the deck better.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                        His hand is live and he can only call a bet.
                                        This is my understanding and the fairest way to deal with it.

Comment

I agree he can still call, but he should also get a table ban for repeatedly exposing his hand.

Comment

Hi,

My two cents worth...

I am asuming the same dealer delt hands 1 & 2. Please clarify this.

Firstly, the dealer made two different rulings on two different hands when facing the same situation. For me, this is the biggest issue. Weather the ruling in hand 1 or the one in hand 2 is correct, it really should have been the same ruling each time.

Most festivals and clubs use TDA rules and in this situation the TDA rule is very clear...

Player A has exposed their hand while action is still pending. Player A's hand is still live but may recieve a penalty after the hand.
                                            sigpic IPO 2019, 23rd to 28th October - Irelands favorite Poker Event. More info Here

Comment

Originally posted by Vegas Nights View Post
                                              Player A has exposed their hand while action is still pending. Player A's hand is still live but may recieve a penalty after the hand.
                                              But that is a tournament rule, what penalty can you really impose in a cash game that will have the desired effect, I'm not saying I agree or disagree with teh ruling that the hand is still live just that the follow up action has little or no consequence in a cash game.

Comment

Working...
                                              X