TVersity and PS3 Streaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TVersity and PS3 Streaming

I currently stream things from my computer through my NTL router (whatever brand NTL routers are) and onto my PS3 using Tversity.

I know a few people use it here but I was wondering if any experiences choppyness and stopping and starting on the media being streamed? Sometimes its un-watchable and some times its okay with little disturbance.

I haven't taken note if there is differences between the format of the videos and am unsure what other factors I should be considering.

Any help appreciated

I use TVersity on both my PS3 and Xbox and it has always worked perfectely.

Its always better to stream the file straight off the computer as I know some people stream off the harddrive and it gives them the problems you mentioned.

Overall though, I never had problems with it.

*Also might add I have shitty eircom broadband.
    Last edited by A_CitizenErased; 09-11-11, 19:15.

Comment

I stream straight off the computer fwiw

I dont think broadband is an issue. Its the router it uses.

Comment

Hey man,

Yeah I used to do this a lot (still do it for sopcast streams) and sometimes the choppiness will have you tearing your hair out.
        What's the distance between Laptop---router---PS3?
        This has nothing to do with internet speeds and everything to do with your network set up.

Factors to be aware of:
        File types
        encoding
        source
        laptop hardware.
        You are technically converting, re-encoding and upscaling your avi files on your laptop on the fly.
        E.g if you are doing anything resource heavy on your laptop at the time of playing through tversity you can get these issues.
        The codec pack will have to work if you are using certain file types.
        Personally, i just found it easier to put everything on an external HD in the end.
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Thanks for the reply DP.

Laptop is generally in a different room, 10meters and 1 wall away from PS3 and router which are beside eachother.

I generally have laptop idle when watching tv so it should be a resource issue.

I was wondering if there are settings in TVersity that can maybe fix it or might might just get a media player the fuck.

Comment

10 metres isn't a lot tbh....
            Get some cat5 and do it direct from laptop to ps3 and you should notice a huge improvement.
            How technically minded are you?
            Try and adjust the signal strength of of the router aerial, moving etc before any other steps

thet always transcode option could be shelved as well
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

I do this also, but I have a Cat6 cable between the router and all devices. Also I use PS3 media Server. I have all my files in .mkv format and they are HD versions 99% of the time. I never have any problems but when I used to use the wireless I did have some buffer type problems which was very frustrating. I'd try connecting the devices with some Cat5e and see how it goes.

Comment

Cheers lads,

Cant find my cat5's (think I threw them out) so gonna get a media player.
                Any recommendations? And does a portable HD work with the media player or would it have to be laptop?

Comment

I just use a TB hard drive.
                  Just remember to format the drive to FAT 32 as drives are mostly shipped NTFS (file systems)
                  Also, mkv's wont natively play on PS3's
                  you'll need to re-encode using mkv2vob (piece of piss tbh)

Comment

Working...
                  X