Live mtt hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live mtt hand

Played in the 40e game in Fitzpatricks in Limerick last night. 40 runners, 10k starting stack and 20 minds. Really good tournament.
    Anyway, 2 tables left. I have ~60k and villian has ~70k. Avg is around 24k. Read on villian is he is a pretty bad player. Mixes it up preflop between limping, min raising and like 5x raising. I would say he wouldnt now much about tournament strategy or anything.
    Blinds: 800-1500
    Folded to Villian in co who opens to 3k. Folded to me in the bb and i call with j9o
    Flop: qk2r, with one diamond. I check and villian thinks for a second and checks.
    Turn: 10d, I lead for 5.5k and villian calls. I think his range here is any pair, fds and straight draws.
    River: Qd, I wasnt sure what to do. I though it was best to bet as he would check behind with a bunch of hands he would call a raise with. Hero bets 8.5k, Villian instashoves. Hero tanks and folds.

Thoughts on how this hand was played?

Fold pre, turn bet is fine. Snap the river, i'm actually shocked you folded. He never has a full house and if he has AJ then pay him off. This is AQ way more then he has you beat imo.

Calling pre is a big leak though imo.

Comment

Sounds like a horrible spot but you made it for yourself. Even the table donk can have a hand so just wait for premium rather than J9 off which is prob the kind of cards he's playing. Once you call (which isn't awful against the minraise, but not optimal) you play to river as you did and check-call the river. You have to fold to the shove.

Comment

Pre is awful. I'm not sure Moneymaker noticed that the backdoor flush got there on the river too. I think folding is ok. Hard to see him shipping worse.

Edit: I don't agree with c/c the river. There's buckets of value to be had from stuff villain will check back.

Comment

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
          Fold pre, turn bet is fine. Snap the river, i'm actually shocked you folded. He never has a full house and if he has AJ then pay him off. This is AQ way more then he has you beat imo.

I'd expect a 7d8d, JdXd or 8d9d hand as often as AQ here. People who minraise and also make it 5xBB in same positions have to have a huge range.

Comment

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post

I dont think its that big a leak. Were fairly deep and i though i was better postflop.

I agree though about the fold. I think he rarely has a boat. Flushs and aj are in is range and lots of naked qs. He just looked really comfortable at the time.

Comment

30bb is not deep and your card and positional disadvantage far outweigh any edge you have over him.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                Edit: I don't agree with c/c the river. There's buckets of value to be had from stuff villain will check back.
                But as much if not more value to be had from snapping of a river bluff/semi-bluff/donk value betting top pair or trips?

Comment

Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                  But as much if not more value to be had from snapping of a river bluff/semi-bluff/donk value betting top pair or trips?
                  The river semi-bluff...you'll have to teach me that one
                  Its close-ish but I still think betting is better. I don't think we can rely on people to bet marginal hands on the end on that board.

Comment

30bb is not deep and your card and positional disadvantage far outweigh any edge you have over him.
                    Were 40bbs deep and in this type of tourney at this stage. Thats as deep as it gets. I understand what your saying though and it most likely is a small leak but it certainly isnt a huge leak.

Comment

The river semi-bluff...you'll have to teach me that one
                      It's what I consider it when donk waits til river and bets JJ or something. Thinks he's bluffing by this stage but actually has something that beats the hero call with A high

Comment

Originally posted by shano_88 View Post
                        Were 40bbs deep and in this type of tourney at this stage. Thats as deep as it gets. I understand what your saying though and it most likely is a small leak but it certainly isnt a huge leak.
                        OK its deep in the tourney sense but not to the point where you have enough room to turn a profit with J9o imo. Your equity disadvantage combined with being oop and not having the initiative is just too much to overcome.

Comment

Originally posted by shano_88 View Post
                          It most definitely is a big leak. You're very rarely catching a flop that you're thrilled about and what zuutroy is saying is very true also. You're gonna have to check/fold or be valuetowned so often that you're just pissing chips away. They're far too valuable to be wasting in spots like this. Abuse your Button and CO positions with them instead.

Comment

When did calling 1500 with 5300 in the middle become a big leak?
                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Pre is fine against a bad player this deep, good betsizing on the turn, I'd even overbet against bad players here if I'd thought I'd get away with it. Bet folding river seems good, your not gonna be ahead here often enough to call.
                              "Don't overcomplicate a straight forward game with mathematical bullshit and dicussing different lines with your geeky friends" Chris Olaafson

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                When did calling 1500 with 5300 in the middle become a big leak?
                                When you're OOP and your hand has a ton of RIO and is generally pretty weak.

Comment

think i play it the same except i bet 4k on turn an 7k on river but thats neither here nor there.

Comment

Working...
                                  X