New Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Desktop

My desktop is on the brink, seems to blue screen a few times a week and is also crashing quite a lot as well. Just did there now again which has prompted me to post this.

My current desktop is a Dell with a dual screen GFX card which I need and also need it to support up to 2560x1440 res moniter. I have 8Gb of ram so would be looking to increase this also. I would like to get an SSD also. Has anyone any recommendations, I will look on the Dell website but apart from there I don't really know where else to look?

Is a MAC an option, I mainly play on PokerStars right now and I believe they are MAC compatiable, but not sure about HEM.

Any help would be great!

Originally posted by digiman View Post
    My desktop is on the brink, seems to blue screen a few times a week and is also crashing quite a lot as well. Just did there now again which has prompted me to post this.

My current desktop is a Dell with a dual screen GFX card which I need and also need it to support up to 2560x1440 res moniter. I have 8Gb of ram so would be looking to increase this also. I would like to get an SSD also. Has anyone any recommendations, I will look on the Dell website but apart from there I don't really know where else to look?

Is a MAC an option, I mainly play on PokerStars right now and I believe they are MAC compatiable, but not sure about HEM.

Any help would be great!
    Hmmm, what are you using the PC for, other than poker, internet browsing and running HEM? Gaming? Encoding video? The latter two need a pretty beefy machine, but even still 8Gb of ram is more than enough! If you only need a PC to play poker and browse the internet, you'd be mad to spend more than €500 (assuming you already have the monitors).

Comment

for some obscure reason i thought with a name like digiman you would know all about this stuff

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
        Hmmm, what are you using the PC for, other than poker, internet browsing and running HEM? Gaming? Encoding video? The latter two need a pretty beefy machine, but even still 8Gb of ram is more than enough! If you only need a PC to play poker and browse the internet, you'd be mad to spend more than €500 (assuming you already have the monitors).
        I don't do any gaming at all, I do download a few films and tv shows and change the format of them so that they play on the PS3 through a media server but other than that I don't use it for much else. I already have the monitors so won't spending anything on them. Really just wondering is there any other sites that you can configure up a machine like you can on the Dell site that deliver to Ireland?

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
        for some obscure reason i thought with a name like digiman you would know all about this stuff
        I'm more of a telecoms head than a computer head!!

Comment

Well, you've a few choices. The best one is to order the parts seperately and build yourself - this site is the supplier of choice to those in the know on boards.ie: http://www1.hardwareversand.de/home.jsp?lb

It's a german site with extremely competitive prices, and has a configurator functionality to help you choose parts that will work together. If you don't want to build it yourself, you can pay €30 extra and it will arrive pre-built, though without the operating system loaded AFAIK.

I don't think Dell.ie is the worst choice, it is more expensive but for some people, that isn't a big concern.

You can buy pre-built PCs from Komplett.ie (I've used these guys myself a lot in the past for various components and haven't been disappointed, more expensive than buying abroad but again, I didn't mind). This one seems like it might suit your needs: http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/prod...D/default.aspx

There are a good lot of ways for you to go to be honest, it all depends on how much bother you are willing to put up with to save a few (or even a hundred!) euro.

Comment

Maybe fire off a PM to Denny Crane as he recently went and done up his own system SSD and all that stuff.

Seems like you have a lot of high end shit for what it sounds like you need it for it seems over kill you want to increase your 8gb or ram, you be bananas

Don't think HEM is available for Mac which is a shame as the iMac's are the business.

Also have a look around here for a new comp http://www.ankermann-edv.de/index.php?language=en
            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Working...
            X