Check back or shove???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check back or shove???

Last night I witnessed a hand which involved a friend, blinds position stacks etc are not important.
    A lady opens and my friend 3 bets it comes back to the lady and she calls.
    However she rolls over her cards thinking my friend is all in when in fact he has 60% of his stack remaining.
    The ruling is that she can only call a bet which is fine with both parties.
    The lady reveals KQ. The flop runs Qxx rainbow and my friend goes all in and the lady calls.

My question is do you think that my friend should check or ship the flop???
    I'd like to point out that the lady is not very good and quite drunk so is never folding a flop like this even though any ship means she is obviously behind.

Shoving if ahead, anything else would be bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Caf View Post
      Shoving if ahead, anything else would be bad.
      I thought exactly the same initially but as I thought about the hand and the player involved I think you will get total value out of the hand even if you check behind till the river because this player is never folding top pair, so if this player does in fact improve to 2 pair or better then u lose the minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
        I thought exactly the same initially but as I thought about the hand and the player involved I think you will get total value out of the hand even if you check behind till the river because this player is never folding top pair, so if this player does in fact improve to 2 pair or better then u lose the minimum.

I'm with Caf on this one, if your ahead get them in and that's where your total value is, not trying to check it down. what if scare cards come and she folds on turn or river?(albeit she is drunk and will prob call anyways).

your mate would lose value if he has KQ beat hear and knows she will put in the rest of her stack.

At best she is only 20% to suck out if he has KK or AA, and only 12% if he has AQ.
        Last edited by japeye; 18-07-11, 01:55.

Comment

Hmmmm, interesting point. My snap reaction was to shove but I guess there is no reason to do it.

Comment

On a 7,8,9,10 or any straightening board or one with 3 hearts (for examle) or one paired like 10,10, Q, x, x she might. Don't let her get away if you're ahead of the Queen now.
            Last edited by NuckChorris; 18-07-11, 01:54. Reason: can't be a 4 flush - doh!

Comment

Originally posted by Caf View Post
              Hmmmm, interesting point. My snap reaction was to shove but I guess there is no reason to do it.
              Lets say for argument sake that he has AQ vs the KQ she is only 12% on the turn and and 7% on the river of catching up with 2 pair.

I'd be much happier getting it in on flop to scoop a nice pot.

Comment

Originally posted by japeye View Post
                Lets say for argument sake that he has AQ vs the KQ she is only 12% on the turn and and 7% on the river of catching up with 2 pair.

I'd be much happier getting it in on flop to scoop a nice pot.
                Meh, I don't think it happens enough to worry about it but I doubt either line is bad. Cases could be made for both. I spent a while arguing with myself over it.

Comment

Last night I witnessed a hand which involved a friend, blinds position stacks etc are not important.
                  A lady opens and my friend 3 bets it comes back to the lady and she calls.
                  However she rolls over her cards thinking my friend is all in when in fact he has 60% of his stack remaining.
                  The ruling is that she can only call a bet which is fine with both parties.
                  The lady reveals KQ. The flop runs Qxx rainbow and my friend goes all in and the lady calls.

My question is do you think that my friend should check or ship the flop???
                  I\\\'d like to point out that the lady is not very good and quite drunk so is never folding a flop like this even though any ship means she is obviously behind.
                  Reported Satnav sighting?
                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Yeah I agree spot doesn't arise enough to really think to deeply about the situation as you may have guessed my friend shoved the flop and the lady called obviously.
                    My friend has AA and she spikes the King on the turn.

Comment

This hand could have been epic if villain was a thinking player who flipped over by mistake. Levels on levels to each line in that situation.

As played I see some value in pot-control checking to the river as there are only 2 scare card Aces which may make the lady to fold on later streets. She may bet anyway if checked to in which case you can call down. Shoving the flop may induce a fold sometimes which is a complete disaster, but if she's 'never folding' as you say, then w/e.
                      "c'est en faisant n'importe quoi qu'on devient n'importe qui"

Comment

Working...
                      X